Why do I feel Ray Allen is the best move of the Big 3 to trade...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Why do I feel Ray Allen is the best move of the Big 3 to trade...

Let me first say “I love Ray Allen & appreciate the value he has been to the Celtics” but as they say, “Business is Business”.  Regarding being old, other than Rondo he’s probably the player in the best physical shape.  And when he gets open, he’s still deadly.  Our problem is we don’t have anybody else that demands double teaming…Pierce won the 3pts shooting contest last year but is not the threat that Allen is and he can’t drive to the basket as he used to.  KG is not a driving to the basket Center/Power forward so we live & die with how well he shoots his 5-15 footers.

There are many teams with which Allen would be very effective and with whom they couldn’t double team him & he’d get free frequently to take his 3 pointers and, ya know, he can still drive to the basket with an opening.  Here are a few teams that have players that need double teaming frequently, Thunder with Durant & Westbrook, Knicks with Carmelo, Stoudemire & Chandler, Bulls with Boozer & Rose, Dallas with Terry & Nowitzki…and there are more teams too but you get the idea. Any double teaming of Allen because he got hot with 3 pointers would free up these guys for outside shooting & under the basket.  Then double up these guys, and Allen gets free. Let me say that Pierce too could fit into any of these teams quite nicely too. OK, this post does not address whom we could get trading Allen or Pierce and if you guys agree with my opinion, whom do you think we could get.  Also, playing along with a very skilled big man, Gasol, Howard etc., KG would be freed up a bit and would become more effective.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Re: Why do I feel Ray Allen is the best move of the Big 3 to trade...

In Response to Why do I feel Ray Allen is the best move of the Big 3 to trade...:
    [QUOTE]Let me first say “I love Ray Allen & appreciate the value he has been to the Celtics” but as they say, “Business is Business”.  Regarding being old, other than Rondo he’s probably the player in the best physical shape.  And when he gets open, he’s still deadly.  Our problem is we don’t have anybody else that demands double teaming…Pierce won the 3pts shooting contest last year but is not the threat that Allen is and he can’t drive to the basket as he used to.  KG is not a driving to the basket Center/Power forward so we live & die with how well he shoots his 5-15 footers.

I agree with your post; however, before I give my opinion on a move the C's can potentially make to potentially contend this year, I want to speak about why its hard to trade Ray from this team. As currently constructed, the C's big 4 fit together seamlessly like puzzle pieces. Individually, they all could be effective on other teams if provided a good situation, but their real value is together as a unit. As a unit, if all things come together (plus a few lucky breaks) they could be a threat in the playoffs to at least be competive against anybody. As constructed though, I realistically I do not think the big 4 puzzle can win a title this year. A move needs to be made, and I think Ray should be the first move. Ray spreads the floor, and his constant motion keeps the other teams 2 guard occupied on defense. The disadvantage of Ray being in the lineup is his defense, ball-handling, general activity, and passing. If you add in the fact that he is older and cannot easily get his own shot, you could argue that his negatives outweigh his positives for this team. A trade scenario that I think works for both teams is Ray + 1 round pick to Minny for Beasley and Anthony Randolph and/or Wesley Johnson. Minnesota would get a veteran leader to help their young team plus the outside shooting they are in desperate need of. The inclusion of the 1st round pick may be enough to make Minny jump at this deal. Boston would get size, youth, athleticism, and scoring. Beasley could either start at the 3 ( move Paul to the 2), or come off the bench to provide instant offense (start Pietrius at 2 or maybe acquire JR Smith). Randolph could be the hidden gem of this trade. He has enough size to start at the 5 with KG. He would be an active body on the boards, and he would provide some offensive creativity. Those 2 guys teamed with Rondo could be devastating on the break. The success of this trade would depend on subsequent moves and Doc's ability to make these players gel as a team. Let me know what you think

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

I agree, but I think he needs to be traded to a contender

Here is a trade scenario, based on info I have read, players that want out - etc.
    The Wiz (cut payroll and get rid of a bad contract) get Chris Wilcox (expiring), Nazr Mohammed (expiring) and Avery Bradley (peanuts)

The Thunder get Ray Allen to complement Durant and Westbrook.

Boston gets James Harden and Andray Blatche. 
    I kind of like that trade for all parties, but here come the critics.........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'll be both a supporter and a critic, Red.  I love Harden.  But, I hate Blatche.  He's soft, plays no D, doesn't show up at critical times.  He is not a player you would like once you're around him all the time (I live in the DC area and I see him play and see his stats and interface with his teammates).  Add to that we have KG, Bass, and JJ at that same position.  If you think JJ's getting no development now - where do you fit Blatche into that lineup?  We don't need 4 power forwards.

So, if you can put a better player (not more talent - just more consistent and persistent and hungry and at a different position), you might have something there. 

Overall, I want to be clear, however - I'm not in favor or trading Ray nor any of the others until after the end of February when we can see just how good or bad this team really is.  I think the word of the day until the end of February is "Patience".  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Why do I feel Ray Allen is the best move of the Big 3 to trade...:
    [QUOTE]I'll be both a supporter and a critic, Red.  I love Harden.  But, I hate Blatche.  He's soft, plays no D, doesn't show up at critical times.  He is not a player you would like once you're around him all the time (I live in the DC area and I see him play and see his stats and interface with his teammates).  Add to that we have KG, Bass, and JJ at that same position.  If you think JJ's getting no development now - where do you fit Blatche into that lineup?  We don't need 4 power forwards. So, if you can put a better player (not more talent - just more consistent and persistent and hungry and at a different position), you might have something there.  Overall, I want to be clear, however - I'm not in favor or trading Ray nor any of the others until after the end of February when we can see just how good or bad this team really is.  I think the word of the day until the end of February is "Patience".  
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Okay, working on it...LOL!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Everyteam needs a shooter off the bench, just look at what TMac is bringing the Hawks (seriously).  Furthermore Ray is in outstanding shape and is a great lockeroom voice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

How's this:

Ray still goes to OKC, UTAH gets Chris Wilcox, and Boston gets James Harden, Cole Aldrich and Raja Bell!!\

btw - how do you feel about Nick Young?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

In Response to Re: Why do I feel Ray Allen is the best move of the Big 3 to trade...:
    [QUOTE]How's this: Ray still goes to OKC, UTAH gets Chris Wilcox, and Boston gets James Harden, Cole Aldrich and Raja Bell!!\ btw - how do you feel about Nick Young?
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

OKC owe us oneWink

Just so you know, I heard some Wizards reporters ripping Nick Young, lazy and a bad lockeroom guy according to them - not saying it is true.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Accension13. Show Accension13's posts

Any deal that could pull Harden is a great deal. Blatche and Young are questionable. I think both look OK on a bad team. Young would be my choice though. You mentioned earlier the preference of sending Ray to a winning team. One thing I meant to add to my previous post is the possibility of resigning Ray in the offseason. He lives in Boston and loves the area. I think you should trade him to any team that can provide good assets to build on. Ray can always come back home. Maybe for the multi-year deal he desires. This is just an opportunity to get better right now

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Harden would be a great get, a potential 20ppg scorer in the NBA.  He is a little too much one on one for my liking at the moment but that can be worked out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]How's this: Ray still goes to OKC, UTAH gets Chris Wilcox, and Boston gets James Harden, Cole Aldrich and Raja Bell!!\ btw - how do you feel about Nick Young?
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

There's a reason why the Wizards are at the bottom of the league - they have the worst coach in the league and very few players we'd want.  Nick is a very good back up shooting guard.  He's a microwave type player, albeit a litte inconsistent.  I don't want to be too negative on everything you propose so yes, Nick Young is definitely a better catch than Blatche.  Nick is a little lazy and whiny but maybe he'd be better in a Boston system.

Cole is another Steimsma and Bell is a 3 poin shooter who can defend.  I think they're both serviceable.  OK trade.....only question is do you want to bring in three guys who all are going to be on the books for the 2012/2013 season so they take away from your free agency cap room?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do I feel Ray Allen is the best move of the Big 3 to trade... : There's a reason why the Wizards are at the bottom of the league - they have the worst coach in the league and very few players we'd want.  Nick is a very good back up shooting guard.  He's a microwave type player, albeit a litte inconsistent.  I don't want to be too negative on everything you propose so yes, Nick Young is definitely a better catch than Blatche.  Nick is a little lazy and whiny but maybe he'd be better in a Boston system. Cole is another Steimsma and Bell is a 3 poin shooter who can defend.  I think they're both serviceable.  OK trade.....only question is do you want to bring in three guys who all are going to be on the books for the 2012/2013 season so they take away from your free agency cap room?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Aldrich is a throw-in for salary.......Bell wants out in the worst way and Harden is a stud!  Yes, for the minimal they will make, I will take them.  Of course, we have to assume if Danny said YOUNGER players, and he blows up the team, he knows he's using salary cap space.  I don't live in DC, but I think Nick Young is a stud, and can score 15 - 20 on the right team.  Doc may be the right coach, and Rondo right PG for him!!  Rondo, Young and Harden is a dynamite back-court. (only 2 of them can play at the same time, I understand that) Add Jeff Green and this years picks, and we are already better than the Wiz or Raptors are right now!! That is a very, very fast team!!

Sections
Shortcuts