Why I no longer believe...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

Why I no longer believe...

Assuming we make it to the finals again, I don't think we have a prayer of defeating the Lakers, who are without a doubt going to be waiting for us there.

The Lakers had their mid-season slump and looked like chumps for a while.  They could've made trades and shaken the whole thing up but they stayed still and waited out the storm.  Now they look like world-beaters, an efficient machine ready to destroy anything that crosses their path.  For the first time in the Gasol-era the Lakers are suddenly being looked at as even more than a super-talented finess team.  Now they're being called tough, and toughness was always the thing we had over them.

Ainge took a gamble and changed enough of the Celtics roster that it looks like chemistry and mental toughness may be a giant issue for us going into the playoffs.  I can't see a team still trying to make its pieces fit together with only a handful of games left in the stretch run beating the Lakers-machine whose pieces have been tested, knocked around and bruised TOGETHER.  I think it's clear that the adversity LA faced before the All Star break has galvanized them.  On the C's Jeff Green looks tentative, Troy Muprhy is a joke, Krstic may never play for the team again, etc.  We still have the Big 4, but besides Master of Excuses Jermaine O'Neal, broken down 39-year-old Shaq, injury prone Delontee, the rest is a hodgepodge and a bust.  We can't win with that type of internal softness.

Now, I don't blame Danny for making the trade.  I think injuries became such a prolem he had to do something.  And in terms of trade-able pieces Perk makes perfect sense.  But it was something I'm sure he didn't want to do because it was a contingency plan based on unfortunate circumstances like Daniels going down, and contingency plans are just that, plan b, the thing you hope you don't have to resort to.

I really hope we can win the title this year but it looks like the Big 3 era may one day be looked at more in terms of a 'woulda-shoulda-coulda' dynasty that never quite lived up to its promise.  Ever since '08-'09 and KG's injury we have just never been able to catch a break and stay healthy.  The only thing that held this team back from 2, 3 or 4 championships was health and it sucks.  I hate the idea but the writing's on the wall.  Living in LA is gonna suck this summer.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from breaktime. Show breaktime's posts

Re: Why I no longer believe...

Too soon to tell Brad.  And I'm in SoCal too, so I know how good the lakers are playing right now.  They can play three good 7 footers at one time, and Bynum is looking a whole lot better than he's been in the past.  I know where you're coming from.
    Still, basketball is a streaky game, probably more so in the playoffs.  Nobody stays hot forever and nobody stays cold forever.
    Watch the Celtic's last reg season game against the Bulls and Heat, see if we finally catch a break at the center slot when the O'Neals are both suiting up, hope for the best with Krisic, and keep waiting for the team to morph into something new.
    Still too soon to tell.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tayshawn. Show Tayshawn's posts

In Response to Why I no longer believe...:
    Assuming we make it to the finals again, I don't think we have a prayer of defeating the Lakers, who are without a doubt going to be waiting for us there. The Lakers had their mid-season slump and looked like chumps for a while.  They could've made trades and shaken the whole thing up but they stayed still and waited out the storm.  Now they look like world-beaters, an efficient machine ready to destroy anything that crosses their path.  For the first time in the Gasol-era the Lakers are suddenly being looked at as even more than a super-talented finess team.  Now they're being called tough, and toughness was always the thing we had over them. Ainge took a gamble and changed enough of the Celtics roster that it looks like chemistry and mental toughness may be a giant issue for us going into the playoffs.  I can't see a team still trying to make its pieces fit together with only a handful of games left in the stretch run beating the Lakers-machine whose pieces have been tested, knocked around and bruised TOGETHER.  I think it's clear that the adversity LA faced before the All Star break has galvanized them.  On the C's Jeff Green looks tentative, Troy Muprhy is a joke, Krstic may never play for the team again, etc.  We still have the Big 4, but besides Master of Excuses Jermaine O'Neal, broken down 39-year-old Shaq, injury prone Delontee, the rest is a hodgepodge and a bust.  We can't win with that type of internal softness. Now, I don't blame Danny for making the trade.  I think injuries became such a prolem he had to do something.  And in terms of trade-able pieces Perk makes perfect sense.  But it was something I'm sure he didn't want to do because it was a contingency plan based on unfortunate circumstances like Daniels going down, and contingency plans are just that, plan b, the thing you hope you don't have to resort to. I really hope we can win the title this year but it looks like the Big 3 era may one day be looked at more in terms of a 'woulda-shoulda-coulda' dynasty that never quite lived up to its promise.  Ever since '08-'09 and KG's injury we have just never been able to catch a break and stay healthy.  The only thing that held this team back from 2, 3 or 4 championships was health and it sucks.  I hate the idea but the writing's on the wall.  Living in LA is gonna suck this summer.
    Posted by BRADinLA

Well, on a brighter side for you, there are a lot of hot women and nice beaches here in L.A. Just don't pay attention to all of the Kobe, Bynum, and Gasol jerseys being worn. Cool

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdm894g. Show jdm894g's posts

Brad, I feel your pain.  I'm in LA, too.  Im not going to through in the towel into all zeros are in the clock and the Celtics are eliminated.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

I agree that it is too soon to give up.

The trade for Perk was to get second team personnel only, deal with the parade of injuries, and get something for Perk

The last several games before the Spurs game were aberrations caused by several things, including immature behavior from our point guard, after the trade.

The Celtics proved that when they are focused, they can get the job done, as evidenced by the Spurs game with Tim Duncan.

Shaq is back on Tuesday, and JO looked good against the Spurs. It may take Shaq a week or three to get back into game shape, but the starting Celtics proved they could play together in the first half of the season.

Shaq may not be as good defensively as Perk, but he has always scared Bynum on offense.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

I still have a wait and see attitude about the Perk trade.

I was upset when it happened, and it may come to haunt us against the Lakers, but Shaq is still a force on offense when surrounded by other great players.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarryMangurian. Show HarryMangurian's posts

In Response to Why I no longer believe...:
    Assuming we make it to the finals again, I don't think we have a prayer of defeating the Lakers, who are without a doubt going to be waiting for us there. The Lakers had their mid-season slump and looked like chumps for a while.  They could've made trades and shaken the whole thing up but they stayed still and waited out the storm.  Now they look like world-beaters, an efficient machine ready to destroy anything that crosses their path.  For the first time in the Gasol-era the Lakers are suddenly being looked at as even more than a super-talented finess team.  Now they're being called tough, and toughness was always the thing we had over them. Ainge took a gamble and changed enough of the Celtics roster that it looks like chemistry and mental toughness may be a giant issue for us going into the playoffs.  I can't see a team still trying to make its pieces fit together with only a handful of games left in the stretch run beating the Lakers-machine whose pieces have been tested, knocked around and bruised TOGETHER.  I think it's clear that the adversity LA faced before the All Star break has galvanized them.  On the C's Jeff Green looks tentative, Troy Muprhy is a joke, Krstic may never play for the team again, etc.  We still have the Big 4, but besides Master of Excuses Jermaine O'Neal, broken down 39-year-old Shaq, injury prone Delontee, the rest is a hodgepodge and a bust.  We can't win with that type of internal softness. Now, I don't blame Danny for making the trade.  I think injuries became such a prolem he had to do something.  And in terms of trade-able pieces Perk makes perfect sense.  But it was something I'm sure he didn't want to do because it was a contingency plan based on unfortunate circumstances like Daniels going down, and contingency plans are just that, plan b, the thing you hope you don't have to resort to. I really hope we can win the title this year but it looks like the Big 3 era may one day be looked at more in terms of a 'woulda-shoulda-coulda' dynasty that never quite lived up to its promise.  Ever since '08-'09 and KG's injury we have just never been able to catch a break and stay healthy.  The only thing that held this team back from 2, 3 or 4 championships was health and it sucks.  I hate the idea but the writing's on the wall.  Living in LA is gonna suck this summer.
    Posted by BRADinLA

While I agree with the points of this post, I still believe there is hope. These veterans turn it up a notch. If they were younger I would agree with you. The games lost so far are in the fourth. A little more gas and they would be victories. Playoffs are a different animal.

But like last year, will they have enough gas at the end? If the finals schedule had an extra day or two of rest in it (between travel) that may have changed the result of last year, ref's notwithstanding

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Brad,
    I live in LA like you. To throw in the towel with all these similar posts about giving up from real Celtics fans like you is quite a capitulation.  Mandobello posted the same  thing.  Give up if you want but the Celtics are very much in the running.  Making the statement you make is felt at this moment by all but gets the conversation about the future nowhere.

The Celtics are in better shape than they were last year. Hardly a guarantee but keep you eye on the ball here. The trolls love your sentiments as expressed here.

I predict there are many more surprises coming up for the Lakers and recent frontrunners.  You may be be happy this summer who knows.  Nobody does.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickFox17. Show RickFox17's posts

In Response to Re: Why I no longer believe...:
    Brad, I live in LA like you. To throw in the towel with all these similar posts about giving up from real Celtics fans like you is quite a capitulation.  Mandobello posted the same  thing.  Give up if you want but the Celtics are very much in the running.  Making the statement you make is felt at this moment by all but gets the conversation about the future nowhere. The Celtics are in better shape than they were last year. Hardly a guarantee but keep you eye on the ball here. The trolls love your sentiments as expressed here. I predict there are many more surprises coming up for the Lakers and recent frontrunners.  You may be be happy this summer who knows.  Nobody does.
    Posted by concord27

anything can happen.  Patriots looked invincible last season and lost so I have a feeling the Lakers will be eliminated too cause playoffs are a different animal />  Go Celtics always   It ain't over till it's over> I have faith

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

bye bye bandwagon brad

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

bye bye bandwagon brad
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

I second that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MsLithium21. Show MsLithium21's posts

Oh cut him a little slack, people!  These are hard times!  We should be encouraging such fans to stay in the fold.

Brad, I know it's excruciating.  And I know that living in LA doesn't help.  But you never know what is around the corner.  As several other fans have said here, anything can happen in the playoffs.  We're a good team.  We went through a slump but we're coming out of it.  We're a good team and if we can ALL just stay healthy now - and keep wanting it more - we have as good a shot as anyone.  And if we do win it all, it will be that much sweeter after going through the hell we're enduring right now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

How can you throw in the towel?  I know sometimes it gets so frustrating that, in the heat of the moment, alot of negative thoughts go through your head..

but.....

you need to take a lesson from last season. We were 10x worse and playing like a bunch of sissys heading into the playoffs. Then BOOM!! Just like the San Antonio game.

Now, Im not crazy about holding out hope for something like last years playoff run cause its not something you should be counting on. Yet if any team has DEMONSTRATED the ability to turn-it-on, its the C's.

Now that it appears Krisitc is ok, should give the Celtics a big shot in the arm.. Think how upset they must have been in Atlanta...  just smoked the Spurs and beating the Hawks... JON just returned than WHAMMO!!  Kristic goes down with what looked like a season ending injury... Got to take the wind out ur sails after so long we've been waiting to get our center position worked out.

Jump back on...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MinnesotaCelticsFan. Show MinnesotaCelticsFan's posts

People...people...

Most people on this board go over the top when the Cs are playing great, and feel the world is coming to an end when they hit a tough stretch.

The truth is that this is the regular season, not the play-offs.

The Cs have shown that they can still show up against great teams. Now that our first and second string centers are returning, it is no time to lose faith.

The play-offs are a different type of game, and the Celtics are built for the play-offs.

1. No back to backs
    2. The game is dominated by half court play and defense
    3. Referees tend to allow more contact and physical play
    4. Coaching and adjustments become more important.

The team has not had a true big man since the trade. Withy JO returning and with Shaq returning this week, the style of offense, and defense will change back to the way that it was earlier in the season.

This is a time to expect improved play not loss of faith.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Cant understand why boston is pinning it's hope on a 75yr old shaq. After all, isn't wheelchair the greatest player on the planet and more importantly, the current boston team has never lost a series.

Go figure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

One of the problems with the Celtics right now is that when KG goes to the bench Baby is the 5 and Green the 4. When everyone does not box out (difficult to do with rotating defense) bigs are having a field day against us. Baby can not play the 5 He is big but not long at all. Even Darco was jumping over Baby and tipping the ball to teammates on a regular basis. Green on the other hand is getting beat off the dribble quite often. Remember how Krilenko left him in the dust several times in Utah. When he get's beaten Baby (non shot blocker) is there to help.

Baby playing with the first unit is also having an effect on the offense. He is taking shots that Ray Allen and Garnett would be taking. He helps when penetrating but settling for the jumpshot hurts sometimes. The Celtics can not play inside out when Baby and Green are the 4 and 5. The lack of an inside prescence makes the offense become stagnant. 

Shaq (if he comes back) will change this dramatically. He does not even have to play that good. Just the presence of a big that can score and putting baby back with the second unit will be huge. I know part of this is wishfull thinking but if Shaq is healthy this team is quite different. Don't listen to trolls about Shaq being a castoff. With the Cetlcis built the way THEY are they just need his presence to mearly balance and space the floor. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

["What does not kill me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche]...Rondo has come out the other side stronger, soon Ray will come out as he always does, then KG/Shaq/BaBy/JO/Krispdic/and the Irish Guy (Murphy) will emerge as a strong unit...the Captain has not waivered...Green, I don't know, this one's on Doc; coach has to help him succeed despite the fact that it will make Danny look good (me thinks Rivers is the last one secretly sulking about the trade, "Perk was a son to me"). The playoffs are a long affair and this team that is relatively new to itself could come together just in time (like a perfectly builg Toyota Sequoia). Yes, the Fakers resemble a LandRover, perfectly elegant, yet tough, but I'll take the Toyota...c'mon Doc, Danny got you the parts now engineer this group to Banner 18! Brad, don't give up on the Celtics and never bet on Lamar Odom (Artest maybe, but not Odom)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I'm not ruling anything out, but I'm not very optimistic

If the Celtics could win TWO (not just one, but TWO... IF!), then they might be able to win a championship with the Big Four averaging 35-40 minutes per game.

Otherwise, I see them wearing out by the time they reach the Finals.  On top of all of the problems that have already been mentioned, they don't have much left in the tank and it shows in the second halves of games.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRADinLA. Show BRADinLA's posts

The Lakers are peaking too early.
    Posted by Kirk6

Hope you're right Kirk.  It would be great if they started to slip in the middle of the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts