Why is PP the Captain?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

Why is PP the Captain?

Is it tenure? I always thought it was given because your a leader and the team follows your lead. I remember the playoff series against New Jersey where the Cs came from about 25 down in the 4th qtr to win the game. The thing I remember most was Antoine Walker given that pep speech on the bench calling out his teammates and they responded to pull out the win. Pierce only listened. Now it's quite apparent that he does not lead this team...this is not an indictment of his basketball skills but let's be honest, he does not lead. KG is the true Captain.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Re: Why is PP the Captain?

In Response to Why is PP the Captain?:
    [QUOTE]Is it tenure? I always thought it was given because your a leader and the team follows your lead. I remember the playoff series against New Jersey where the Cs came from about 25 down in the 4th qtr to win the game. The thing I remember most was Antoine Walker given that pep speech on the bench calling out his teammates and they responded to pull out the win. Pierce only listened. Now it's quite apparent that he does not lead this team...this is not an indictment of his basketball skills but let's be honest, he does not lead. KG is the true Captain.
    Posted by walk2run[/QUOTE]

KG deferred to CPP as captain when he first came onboard... as he should have.

CPP is a warrior. He's fearless at crunch time.

KG is the emotional leader. No question.

CPP is the hammer.

Pud

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

When KG and Ray were traded to the Celtic's, everyone knew that KG would be the emotional leader of the C's, and everyone knew that Ray would be the Celtic with the most class. Doc saw how depressed Paul was about this, and felt sorry for him and allowed him to remain captain in name only!!!

I'm sure P34,and ONEONONE, will have a different take, but that's my story and i'm stickin with it!!  TRUTH HURTS!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Is it tenure? I always thought it was given because your a leader and the team follows your lead. I remember the playoff series against New Jersey where the Cs came from about 25 down in the 4th qtr to win the game. The thing I remember most was Antoine Walker given that pep speech on the bench calling out his teammates and they responded to pull out the win. Pierce only listened. Now it's quite apparent that he does not lead this team...this is not an indictment of his basketball skills but let's be honest, he does not lead. KG is the true Captain.

Old news, my man.  Everyone knows Paul is not a vocal in your face leader.  That's who KG is.  We have KG for the in your face leadership - you've seen in a hundred times (and ask Baby about it).  Paul is the scorer in crunch time with tremendous skill and confidence.  That's who he is.  He leads by his own focus but he needs that emotional leader to help him (Antoine then, KG now).   This is no surprise.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

In Response to Re: Why is PP the Captain?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Why is PP the Captain? : KG deferred to CPP as captain when he first came onboard... as he should have. CPP is a warrior. He's fearless at crunch time. KG is the emotional leader. No question. CPP is the hammer. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

Well one would think emotion is what we need right now cause this present (without KG) team doesn't show any. And there was no crunch time to be had in the last couple of games. But to play listless at home to start a home stand...the Cs need a new Captain plain and simple.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Captain is a Seniority Joke.  Bull, you say.  How can you say that?  PP is a Hero.

Look at the Red Sox.  Jason Veritek wears the big C, even when he is a 3rd rate catcher.  His skills are gone.  Yet, he is the CAPTAIN!  It is really a bad joke.
     The only skill he had left was handling a pitcher.  He couldn't hit  --  run  --  throw.

PP is a very good player.  He plays well at the end of games.  The question is could he inspire a rock?     Surprised

Rondo can get the boys going, and make them better.  KG certainly can.  Ray is an emotional rock.  Steady winning or losing.

If the players voted, who would be elected Captain?  PP  --  I doublt it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from datruthpp34. Show datruthpp34's posts

well,not so accurate..your questioning about CPP??really now?in 1 game or 2 your questioning why he is the leader of this group???your questioning because they lose couple of times??wow,if you know cpp u dont have to question nothing ok.This is a stupid post wasted my time!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

What's really amazing is that we, the fans, are panicking like last year.  Gang - its just 2 losses in a row and just 5 losses in a rough set of 10 or 12 games.  We will be fine.  Chill out and remember these are guys who are really good when they are all back together and healthy.  This is a really good team.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why is PP the Captain? : I guess your wife is slapping you around again for being a smart a $$ huh?
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Great memory, It takes one to know one.Laughing

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChiefEddie1028. Show ChiefEddie1028's posts

It does not really matter who the Captain is because their record will still be the same, regardless of who the captain is. Secondly, not all leaders are vocal, and you don't have to be vocal to be a leader. Some leaders are vocal, some are emotional, while some others just lead by example. Paul Pierce is the type that leads by example. You can see whenever Celtics need a basket, Doc goes to Paul and not KG or Ray. That is leadership right there. Paul has been a leader in this department since he was a Celtic, and that is why he is their team captain.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

When PP plays well, the whole team plays well, you'd be hard pressed to find many games where PP stunk up the joint but the rest of the team played well.  You can't say this about anyone else on the team.  He's the on the floor leader above anyone else.  He wants to win more and he's the franchise player who's given his whole career to the Celtics.  He's the Captain, because he's the obvious choice. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Could it be that Doc doesn't want to upset PP's Ego?  It is the Coach who names the team Captain - Captains.

Try this one.  How about Dee Brown  --  "Never in Sevice Pervis" Ellison and Antoine Walker?  Think it was in 1998.  For Real!

Steven Jackson was Captain of the 2007 Warriors.  OOPS!  Stephan Marbury was Captain of the Knicks.  UGH!

Coach Ton Thibadeau of Chicago named Boozer --  Deng  --  Noah  and Rose as Co-Captains.

Would he have names Pierce  --  Garnett  --  Allen  and Rondo?

Sounds good to me.   

1997-98Dee Brown, Pervis Ellison, Antoine Walker

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Chris - Sorry, but I'm missing the point of your last post about other captains.  What is your point?   Antoine and Dee Brown were great leaders.  I love both of those guys - Dee for his quiet leadership and Antoine for his passion (and no one bled more green and loved his team than Antoine).

Are you suggesting that Coaches make mistakes in naming captains or are you saying that multiple captains is the way to go?   I just don't know what you're advocating here.  Can you clarify for us?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

since im sure none of us hang out with the team personally or are with them pregame or on the bench or anything, i dont think its clear cut for any of us to say who the captain would be. my take? pierce is the leader of the Celtics.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

Kind of a silly question at this point in the game...........tenure, basically. Peirce had been with the Celtics for 9 or 10 years when Garnett and Allen came to the team. What were they going to do say, "Paul, thanks, but could you step aside while we make one of these guys Captain?" There are alot of things in life which aren't exactly "right." Sure, Garnett is more of a "leader" than Peirce is, but circumstances kind of dictated the situation. Pretty common, wouldn't you say?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lirmd. Show lirmd's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why is PP the Captain? :                     Kind of a silly question at this point in the game...........tenure, basically. Peirce had been with the Celtics for 9 or 10 years when Garnett and Allen came to the team. What were they going to do say, "Paul, thanks, but could you step aside while we make one of these guys Captain?" There are alot of things in life which aren't exactly "right." Sure, Garnett is more of a "leader" than Peirce is, but circumstances kind of dictated the situation. Pretty common, wouldn't you say?
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Because he is the most consistent blue collar starter we have, the only tenured Celtic and how can you complain about Pierce?  I know it's mid season but really the troll rats have taken over the ship here.  

The season is a marathon with a sprint finish, let's get KG back healthy and make a strong push.  Seeding doesn't matter, a healthy C's team will beat anyone as long as the NBA and Vegas agree.

Puddin is Dudder

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

If I'm not mistaken, Pierce was named co-captain to Antoine Walker by Rick Pitino in 2001.  After Antoine left, Pierce remained the captain.  Pierce is the guy who stayed and the guy around whom Danny Ainge decided to re-build the team.  We all know KG is the leader.  When he plays you can hear him calling out defensive assignments or staring someone sideways, including Pierce, when they blow a switch or a slide.  (And Perkins quite a few times if I recall, which is probably why Perkins is such a good defensive player)  But the the guy the Celtics traded away to acquire KG was Big Al and friends with an appetizer of Jeff Green for Ray Allen.  They engineered this team for Paul Pierce.

Here's a question:  Is there some reason Paul Pierce shouldn't be captain?  Why would this come up esp this year when he is playing his most mature ball?  I think Pierce is a winner and a warrior and a career Celtic and the foundation of the team.  The next most-tenured Celtic is Perk.

This is an amazing team.  I hope we get to see them demonstrate their potential.  It makes you realize how special it is when you get it together for a championship run.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]If I'm not mistaken, Pierce was named co-captain to Antoine Walker by Rick Pitino in 2001.  After Antoine left, Pierce remained the captain.  Pierce is the guy who stayed and the guy around whom Danny Ainge decided to re-build the team.  We all know KG is the leader.  When he plays you can hear him calling out defensive assignments or staring someone sideways, including Pierce, when they blow a switch or a slide.  (And Perkins quite a few times if I recall, which is probably why Perkins is such a good defensive player)  But the the guy the Celtics traded away to acquire KG was Big Al and friends with an appetizer of Jeff Green for Ray Allen.  They engineered this team for Paul Pierce. Here's a question:  Is there some reason Paul Pierce shouldn't be captain?  Why would this come up esp this year when he is playing his most mature ball?  I think Pierce is a winner and a warrior and a career Celtic and the foundation of the team.  The next most-tenured Celtic is Perk. This is an amazing team.  I hope we get to see them demonstrate their potential.  It makes you realize how special it is when you get it together for a championship run.
    Posted by shines01[/QUOTE]

Yea, what he said!  Ditto.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

If it not an issue for the team, why should it be an issue for the fans?

It appears that someone is mad at Paul for the team's poor showing in the last few games.

Things will improve shortly.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Gee do you think Pierce is the Captain since he has been playing in Boston since 1998 and has endured years of horrible teams?

The term "Captain" is purely symbolic, true leaders will always lead whether they have a title or not.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrBoogiebone. Show DrBoogiebone's posts

Paul leads by example. He himself has said that a few times. Just look at this game against SAC tonight. the 1st half, when we need some kind of response after the past 2 games, Paul has stepped up and is kicking butt out there. Not just cause he's making shots either. He's bringing presence in the paint with his scoring, rebounding, and defending. I remember that NJ playoff series too. Toine was the vocal leader, Paul was the physical leader. People "lead" in different ways. Paul does it the most effective way he knows how. Paul is a leader dude. One of the best the C's have had. You want a leader/captain who can talk the talk? Or walk the walk?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

[QUOTE]Paul leads by example. He himself has said that a few times. Just look at this game against SAC tonight. the 1st half, when we need some kind of response after the past 2 games, Paul has stepped up and is kicking butt out there. Not just cause he's making shots either. He's bringing presence in the paint with his scoring, rebounding, and defending. I remember that NJ playoff series too. Toine was the vocal leader, Paul was the physical leader. People "lead" in different ways. Paul does it the most effective way he knows how. Paul is a leader dude. One of the best the C's have had.
    Posted by DrBoogiebone[/QUOTE]

There is something to leading by example.  Like the guy that brought up Antoine.  He was vocal but you know being charged with writing bad checks probably shows you are not that great a leader...even if you talk a lot.

Sections
Shortcuts