Why Kevin Love

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Why Kevin Love

His stats are good on a team that has not been to the playoffs lately.  He has not made them a winner in the West.  He better get to the East as soon as possible if he wants to go to the playoffs.  Do we want to be Minn.#2.  Use the picks and get good free agents that want to come here.  Smart, Bradley, Hayward, Sullinger, and Aisk or a similar center.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Why Kevin Love

In response to romneywins' comment:
    [QUOTE]

His stats are good on a team that has not been to the playoffs lately.  He has not made them a winner in the West.  He better get to the East as soon as possible if he wants to go to the playoffs.  Do we want to be Minn.#2.  Use the picks and get good free agents that want to come here.  Smart, Bradley, Hayward, Sullinger, and Aisk or a similar center.

[/QUOTE]

I like your team, but what happened to Rondo?

Smart, apparently, will be gone by #6...................ORL will take him or Exum.....who's been saying that for months now???

[object HTMLDivElement]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

I REALY HOPE THE CELTICS DO NOT MAKE THIS DEAL FOR KEVIN LOVE:

Celtics May Have Best Offer On Table To Wolves For Kevin Love
    Jun 17, 2014 12:37 PM EDT

The Boston Celtics continue to pursue a trade for Kevin Love, offering the No. 6 and No. 17 picks in this year's draft, along with future No. 1's and young players such as Jared Sullinger or Kelly Olynyk.

Flip Saunders does not want to trade away Love, but he is beginning to realize that he would lose him for nothing next summer and this offer from the Celtics may be the best one he receives from any team.

The Wolves would own picks No. 6, 13 and 17, which could allow them to remake the core of the roster.

Via Chad Ford/ESPN

HALF MEASURES GET YOU NOTHING !

BUILD THE YOUNG CORE, ANOTHER YEAR OF REBUILDING WITH THE YOUNG GUNS ! KEVIN LOVE GETS YOU 43 WINS , BIG FLIPPING DEAL !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Again, Flip Saunders and Ainge have very little pull on this matter.  It is up to Love, once he is convinced where he wants to go then it will be mostly logistics.  Flip is in no position to demand a lot after Love has made up his mind, if he wants more than 2 1st round picks and our best young players, then we should say thank you very much and tell him to come back when trading deadline is near and our offer will be a lot less.

Having said that, from all indications, Love is not interested in coming here, or at least it is a long shot that he will pick Boston due to the state of the team.  We've got to get to respectable level first before we can attract some good veteran players.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

When you look realistically at what the Celtics will be able to get in the 6th and 17th positions, I doubt those positions will produce players who will be NBA All Stars 5 years down the road.  Gordon is a huge risk.  Also we have 4 PFs on the roster (if we re-sign Hump) so we could afford to lose either Sully or Kelly (I would not be happy losing them both).

And nothing really changes - we will still need a center and a SF (if we don't re-sign AB).  We can still use Bass as a trade option as well as a sign and trade option with Hump.  Both of those trades could get us a serviceable player.

And we still have draft picks (tons of them) in future drafts.

Kevin Love will be in the East so it will have an immediate positive impact.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

rondo-bradley-green-love-asik is not bad. it's not "we're going to the finals" good, but it's not bad either. the key IMO is how many picks they want for love. i'd like to see us give up the #6 and 1, possibly 2, future picks. we should keep the #17 this year if at all possible to find a 2/3 who can shoot from outside. trade sully in the love deal. but try and keep olynyk, as he can come off the bench as a 4 or 5.

i still think that either love is coming here or rondo is going to be moved. if we get love, rondo stays to form the nucleus. if we can't get love, rondo gets traded and we go VERY young.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to kaktug's comment:
    [QUOTE]

rondo-bradley-green-love-asik is not bad. it's not "we're going to the finals" good, but it's not bad either. the key IMO is how many picks they want for love. i'd like to see us give up the #6 and 1, possibly 2, future picks. we should keep the #17 this year if at all possible to find a 2/3 who can shoot from outside. trade sully in the love deal. but try and keep olynyk, as he can come off the bench as a 4 or 5.

i still think that either love is coming here or rondo is going to be moved. if we get love, rondo stays to form the nucleus. if we can't get love, rondo gets traded and we go VERY young.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree,but WHERE would Rondo go?  And who would we get for him?

DA should make one offer to Flip for Love, and say the price goes down after this.....IF, in fact Love wants to be here.

Can we trade Bogans and the TPE for Asik?  HOU will want to cut salary to get Melo - otherwise we have to trade Green

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

i think we can use the exception and probably bogans to get asik. we get him for nothing. the rockets get the cap relief. that trade exception is going to be used somewhere since it expires this summer (i think).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

as for where rondo goes, that depends on if we can land love. if we get love, rondo stays. if we can't get love, rondo's on the market. there are plenty of teams that would give us something decent in return for a top 10 point guard. heck, miami is in dire need of a point guard. the problem is they have no assets to give us in return.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kaktug

I like the foundation of that core (offense, defense, rebounding).  And we still have several 1st round picks over the next 4 years for picks or to package in deals for better players.

We can spend the next two to three seasons mired in a rebuild and still lose a lot of talent doing that, all while not acquiring that "STAR ATTRACTION".

Love is that "STAR ATTRACTION" and the Celtics have better players now to put around him than does Minny.  And again, we're in the East.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kaktug

I like the foundation of that core (offense, defense, rebounding).  And we still have several 1st round picks over the next 4 years for picks or to package in deals for better players.

We can spend the next two to three seasons mired in a rebuild and still lose a lot of talent doing that, all while not acquiring that "STAR ATTRACTION".

Love is that "STAR ATTRACTION" and the Celtics have better players now to put around him than does Minny.  And again, we're in the East.

[/QUOTE]

agreed. and while green may not be the guy to carry this team, he is a very nice complimentary piece to a star like love.

i like rondo at the point. i'm OK with bradley at the 2 although ideally i think he's a 6th man. i'd like more shooting and a little more size from our starting 2. which is why i hope we can keep the #17 pick. green can man the 3. love is your scoring 4. and asik protects the rim and get rebounds and put-backs. olynyk would be a nice back up to both love and asik. the only other bench player i'd like to see us hold onto is pressey. i think he can back up rondo and i think he and love are friends. bass is trade bait.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Giving up Sully and 3 picks is a lot. If we can get Love and not give up that much I would do it but , that's a lot to give up unless he'd sign an extension 1st and even then I'm ambivalent

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Giving up Sully and 3 picks is a lot. If we can get Love and not give up that much I would do it but , that's a lot to give up unless he'd sign an extension 1st and even then I'm ambivalent

[/QUOTE]

the extension is a no-brainer IMO. i would never trade all those assets without it. assuming he'd sign an extension, i'd easily give up sully, this years #6, and a pick next year. i'd probably swallow hard and give up a third pick if necessary. but that'd be the extent of what i was willing to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think giving up Sully and 3 picks is a lot.  Two this year and another future pick is not too much for a 25 year old superstar.  If we keep Oly, I think that softens the loss of Sully.  I, for one, always believed Sully and Oly were redundant.  BOTH of them can't be the team's PF of the future.  So with Love, Oly can be a backup and take his time developing.

Let's not forget - you HAVE to give up something to get something in return.  We cannot expect to acquire a player like Love without giving away something significant in return.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think giving up Sully and 3 picks is a lot.  Two this year and another future pick is not too much for a 25 year old superstar.  If we keep Oly, I think that softens the loss of Sully.  I, for one, always believed Sully and Oly were redundant.  BOTH of them can't be the team's PF of the future.  So with Love, Oly can be a backup and take his time developing.

Let's not forget - you HAVE to give up something to get something in return.  We cannot expect to acquire a player like Love without giving away something significant in return.

[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one that has totally different perspective here?  We don't need to give up that much to get Love once he agrees to come here.  It is not a bidding war, it is a convincing Love situation.  Minny is in no position to demand competing deals.  They can either trade Love to where ever he wants to go as long as it is fair, or risk pissing off Love and he just leave as a free-agent by refusing to extend anywhere else.  But then again, why do we keep talking about a pipe dream?  Why would Love wants to be here and be another fringed playoff team?  He wants to go to a better situation like GSW or the Bulls, etc...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

How about Bass, Sully, Bogans, 6 and 17 for Love, 13 and 34?

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Love can tell Minny he wants to go to Boston but if Minny isn't getting enough back, Minny will say "nope, sorry".  Minny will not let Love leave for less than fair value.  There are several other teams willing to sign him WITHOUT an extension.

Love only agrees to come here after Minny is satisfied with the package and presents Boston as a trade option.  If Boston lowballs Minny, Minny won't sign on to trade Love here whether or not this is his preference.

Also, I think, more than anything, Love wants to get out of the Western Conference.  We have better players to put around him, a lot of future 1st rounders and he'll be in the East.  Those factors cannot be underestimated.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

also depend on what chicago or GSW will have to give up to get him. if they have to guy the team to get him, is it worth it for him to go there? if we can get him by trading sully and draft picks, we have a team to put around him. i'm not familiar enough with chi or GSW to say whether that's true of them or not.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Love can tell Minny he wants to go to Boston but if Minny isn't getting enough back, Minny will say "nope, sorry".  Minny will not let Love leave for less than fair value.  There are several other teams willing to sign him WITHOUT an extension.

Love only agrees to come here after Minny is satisfied with the package and presents Boston as a trade option.  If Boston lowballs Minny, Minny won't sign on to trade Love here whether or not this is his preference.

Also, I think, more than anything, Love wants to get out of the Western Conference.  We have better players to put around him, a lot of future 1st rounders and he'll be in the East.  Those factors cannot be underestimated.

Then Minny will loose him for nothing.  Again Minny is in a weaker position than people seem to realize.  It is crazy to give them 3 unprotected first and 2 and more young promising players.  I believe it when I see it if a team will give up several first round picks and players for Love when that team did not make playoffs last year and just hope Love will resign.  That is just bad rumors IMO.

I am not talking about low-ball offer, I am talking about fair and not way overpaid offer.  Again it is not Minny call, and they may try to make it feel like it is their call, but it is really not.  If Love really wants to come here, we can wait another year after we get even better with all the picks.  How could Minny not realize that?  This is again if Love wants to be here, which I believe is not at all the case.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=loveke01&y1=2014&p2=randoza01&y2=2007&p3=garneke01&y3=2001&p4=gasolpa01&y4=2007" rel="nofollow">http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=loveke01&y1=2014&p2=randoza01&y2=2007&p3=garneke01&y3=2001&p4=gasolpa01&y4=2007

I'm with Petey, now.  After 6 NBA seasons, Kevin Love's stats compare favorably with Zach Randolph, Pau Gasol, and ....YES, Kevin Garnett.  He did not win in MN, that is true.  Pau did not win in MEM.  A trade that would benefit both teams is the ideal.  Red said you have to give to get.  He also said try to get the best player in the deal.  I would like at least one pick in this draft, but Love is about as close to a sure thing as there is...

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

also depend on what chicago or GSW will have to give up to get him. if they have to guy the team to get him, is it worth it for him to go there? if we can get him by trading sully and draft picks, we have a team to put around him. i'm not familiar enough with chi or GSW to say whether that's true of them or not.

[/QUOTE]

Right.  The conversation has been how much can we give to get, but that is the wrong perspective.  It is more how we convince Love to come here, and you don't convince him by saying we are giving up the whole team just to get you.  There is an important dichotomy here, plus first you have to be not too far away from contending.  Minny can get something now or none later because unfortunately Love has already said that he was not staying.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Right.  The conversation has been how much can we give to get, but that is the wrong perspective.  It is more how we convince Love to come here, and you don't convince him by saying we are giving up the whole team just to get you.  There is an important dichotomy here, plus first you have to be not too far away from contending.  Minny can get something now or none later because unfortunately Love has already said that he was not staying.

[/QUOTE]

how close to contending were we before the ray allen/KG trades? miles away. we're in the same position now. KG is not the only piece of the puzzle. just the only piece we are focused on at the moment. and of course, it goes without saying, that's it's all contingent upon his willingness to sign an extension with us. but he's been here, he's met rondo, he's said publicly that he's open to boston. what else do you want? a celtics tattoo? lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

another thing to keep in mind here is that lebron is going to be on the prowl soon for a new wingman. wade is done and lebron knows it. lebron knows his formula and it's putting superstars together on one team so that the road to a title is easy for him. don't think love won't be on his short list of players he might like to team up with. if we can keep love out of lebron's hands, we've already won. imagine lebron, still in his prime, teaming up with love and one other super. at that point, our rebuild wouldn't matter. all the draft picks in the world wouldn't matter. we'd be in the king's shadow for the next 5 years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to scubber's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

how close to contending were we before the ray allen/KG trades? miles away. we're in the same position now. KG is not the only piece of the puzzle. just the only piece we are focused on at the moment. and of course, it goes without saying, that's it's all contingent upon his willingness to sign an extension with us. but he's been here, he's met rondo, he's said publicly that he's open to boston. what else do you want? a celtics tattoo? lol

[/QUOTE]

Citing a very rare occurrence as evidence for this happening again with Love is not a good point to me.  As I recall, KG did not want to be here which is exactly my point about the state of this team.  Ray came because he was a little bit older and he might have been too old for the rebuilt Seattle/OKC window.  Once you can have a potential big 3 that would be contending then KG was convinced.  Tell me how Love could be convinced here?  Rondo and Love are not enough.

He met Rondo?  They talked for how many seconds?  He is open to Boston like he wants to come here?  Really?  Nothing else is needed to settle the argument whether he wants to be here?  Wow.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

there are indeed two fronts. one is whether he is willing to come here (i.e., sign an extension). the second is whether we have the assets to satisfy minnesota. as for the first front, i think he's willing to listen to our pitch. he and rondo is a start. asik will likely be not far behind. that gives us a top 5 of rondo-bradley-green-love-asik. i'd like to keep our #17 pick and use it for a shooter at the 2/3. olynyk spells both love and asik. that's not a bad team. i'm not saying it'll win the title, but it's not a bad start, especially in a weak eastern conference.

as for the second front, we've got plenty of draft picks and sully. the question is how many picks do we give up. i think we can deal some of the nets picks and still have at least one pick in each year going forward.

what's the alternative plan? roll the dice on unproven commodities and hope that lebron doesn't team up with another super and dominate the league for the next 5 years?

Sections
Shortcuts