why Murphy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

why Murphy?

I don't see the love affair with Murphy that seems to be all over this board. The guy hasn't seen the court in months, and assuming health, if Doc plays a 9 man rotation, would Murphy be in it? Shaq,Kristic,KG,Baby,PP,Green,Rondo,Allen,West.
    I would prefer the Celts to insure mostly the C spot, of which Murphy is not one, and look to a banger that will play with energy. Assuming buyout, I prefer Gadzuric to Murphy, FOR THIS CELTICS TEAM. I am not suggesting that if Murphy had been playing all year, that Gadzuric is the better player. What I am suggesting, is that if Shaq or Kristic is unavailable, I think that Gadzuric helps the Celts more than Murphy does.
    Gadzuric's offense is Perkin-esque (although he will step out and take the 8 footer where Perk would not). Defensively, Gadzuric is not the answer to Howard or Bynum. But he will not short change on hustle and effort. Looking at his Player Evaluation Ratings he is career double/double, with 2 blocks per game and also not wasting his 6 foul allotment.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: why Murphy?

I think maybe Murphy cause its slim pickins out there.

At least Murphy is big & can shoot. We can use any bodies right now on the front line, even though at 6'11" (I think) hes more a PF than center.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Finally, a man after my own heart.  I, also, do not see the love affair with Murphy.  If the view is that he's just another big body to take fouls and hit maybe one or two shots, ok. If there's any view that he's really a player like he did 2 or 3 years ago, I don't see it.

his 3 point percent is 17%, his field goal percentage is 32% or so, he's slow on defense and not a strong post up defender, and he blocks no shots.   What's to love?

I'd rather see a D leaguer come up like Courtney Sims if he's still available.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

If Murphy is thinking of a long plan, he should sign with Miami. Celtics will only give him a short plan.

So, I think he will sign with Miami.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 003323344. Show 003323344's posts

Boston had been the leader for Murphy, but the trade for forward Jeff Green(notes) and center Nenad Krstic(notes) gave Murphy some pause and made it necessary for Ainge to explain how Murphy would fit into the team’s rotation, a source said. Miami has great need for his length, shooting and ability to rebound.

from yahoo sports

In Response to Re: why Murphy?:
    [QUOTE]If Murphy is thinking of a long plan, he should sign with Miami. Celtics will only give him a short plan. So, I think he will sign with Miami.
    Posted by CHEisCHE[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Murphy has averaged some respectable numbers, both ppg & rebs, in the 2 years prior to this year.

This year his minutes are down considerably and hes been shuffled around.

I havent seen him this year to even guess if his game has deteriorated, been hurt or just never fit in wheres hes been at for whatever reason.

DA must be after him for some reason. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulbrr7. Show paulbrr7's posts

This is a no brainer to me, the Celtics need scoring off the bench and Murphy could bring that. He will spread the floor which will make D West a better point. Plus he can rebound! We need the second unit to score points, give the starters more rest by holding onto leads. The Celtics are a much better fit then Miami, the Celtics play unselfish basketball and have two good point guards who pass first then shoot, which means he will get more looks then he would get in Miami.  Ainge needs to let Doc or Rondo recruit this guy because we know this isn't an attribute that Ainge possesses unless no other teams wants them, ( Scal, Nate, O'neal etc,etc..)then he's your man. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I think Paulbrr7 and Karl and others are remembering the old Murphy.  Murphy has looked lost this year and its not due to injury.  I think a slow guy just got into his 30's and got even slower.  He can shoot but with the highly athletic players we will face in the playoffs, I don't see him keeping up.

He's a big body to bang around and get 3 points and 2 rebounds - that's about it.  I don't see him out hustling or out muscling anyone underneath.  He won't be critical to us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]I think Paulbrr7 and Karl and others are remembering the old Murphy.  Murphy has looked lost this year and its not due to injury.  I think a slow guy just got into his 30's and got even slower.  He can shoot but with the highly athletic players we will face in the playoffs, I don't see him keeping up. He's a big body to bang around and get 3 points and 2 rebounds - that's about it.  I don't see him out hustling or out muscling anyone underneath.  He won't be critical to us.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

OK, like I said, havent seen him play this year  but did notice his mins, ppg & rebs down...as would be expected with less mins played.

Ill take your word his game has deteriorated. Just wondering why DA would be interested in him

Maybe hes the only big out there to give us some insurance up front... might as well sign someone instead of nobody... have Baby teach him how to take a charge or something lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I bet c's don't even want him that much.  I bet they're just trying to force miami to overpay

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I bet Danny wants him a back up.....like the 3rd PF and 4th center.  Strictly a body for when foul trouble and injuries happen.  Not critical to a championship.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Because we can use some of his minutes if Shaq is out and can't continue for any reason.  He will be very cheap at least for this year, so it's a very cheap insurance policy.  And he could help Miami get better which is not a good thing.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

[QUOTE]I bet Danny wants him a back up.....like the 3rd PF and 4th center.  Strictly a body for when foul trouble and injuries happen.  Not critical to a championship.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    Look at his numbers from last year. You are all insane. He is legit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from existentialparquet. Show existentialparquet's posts

got EM!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Besides the fact that he probably can help the Celtics, just having Murphy insures the Heat don't. rebounding has been a huge issue for them and Murphy was a 10 rebound a game guy in 30 minutes last year. THat's the kind of thing that could have put Miami over the top. Now we have a frontcourt with serious depth and they remain with big Z and Dampier. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ntrain. Show Ntrain's posts

I agree with jtkl: Just having Murphy is one more player the Heat can't have to use against us. Id rather have him on the bench or spelling minutes for our main starters/rotation players(assuming he isnt one)vs. having him play against us with Miami, where you KNOW he would flourish at least marginally when playing with the "other 3". ;)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from financer83rs. Show financer83rs's posts

I bet c's don't even want him that much.  I bet they're just trying to force miami to overpay

Do you know the NBA? The money for the rest of this year is idenitcal for all teams that would be interested. Overpay doesn't even enter the equation.

Sections
Shortcuts