Why No Havlicek, Bradley, Ainge, Westphal,Hornacek,Stockton,Cowens, McHale in NBA??

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Why No Havlicek, Bradley, Ainge, Westphal,Hornacek,Stockton,Cowens, McHale in NBA??

Hahaha, what a racist tool

Yes less white American kids who are great athlete's decide to make the long-shot of professional hoops a goal from a young age than they did in the 50's, 60's and 70's while a huge percentage of young african americans look at the league and feel that goal is attainable.

But just look at the players:

Kevin Love and Dave Cowen's have the same stats through ages 23-24, Cowen's never averaged as many points as Love already has.

I'll take 24 year old 6'9" Chandler Parsons and his 15.5ppg over a 24 year old 6'3" Hornacek and his 9.5ppg at that age.

Redick is practically as good as Ainge. Same with Nash (oh wait... he's Canadian!) and Stockton.

Nobody, not even international or black players, have McHale's skill set these days. Nobody since Dream probably has. But McHale in his prime was a 22/8. David Lee in his prime is a 19/10. Not the same talent but practically the same stats.

Ryan Anderson was a deadly 3 point shooter getting 16-17 points per game. I'd take him over Ainge or Hornacek if starting a team.

Ridnour, Tyler Zeller, Hansbrough and Hawes are decent players. Cody Zeller, Mason Plumlee and Alex Len coming up are going to be good.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevekubersky. Show stevekubersky's posts

Re: Why No Havlicek, Bradley, Ainge, Westphal,Hornacek,Stockton,Cowens, McHale in NBA??

Comment removed. Why am I not surprised.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

Nobody, not even international or black players, have McHale's skill set these days. Nobody since Dream probably has. But McHale in his prime was a 22/8. David Lee in his prime is a 19/10. Not the same talent but practically the same stats.

that is the most ludicrous "comparison" i have ever seen, so why make it?  mchale's stats the last 6+ years of his career were addled by broken foot and lowered minutes.

but mchale's PRIME would have been the year he averaged 26 and 9, one of those rare 60%/80% field goal / free throw years as well.  mchale averaged 9 board on a team where parish averaged 9-11 and bird averaged 9-10 as well.  put mchale on a lousy knicks team devoid of ANY big man talent in his prime and his "stats" would have been a lot different.

why you even bother to mention david lee and mchale in the same sentence is truly baffling.  one is a good player, one is HOF all time great.  not worth smooshing together

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

i'd say the only people since mchale that have shown even a modicum of mchale low post talent are: duncan and al jefferson for a time, before the 2nd or 3rd injuries took hold.  while duncan also good on D like mchale was, jefferson is horrible

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

[QUOTE]

that is the most ludicrous "comparison" i have ever seen, so why make it?  mchale's stats the last 6+ years of his career were addled by broken foot and lowered minutes.

but mchale's PRIME would have been the year he averaged 26 and 9, one of those rare 60%/80% field goal / free throw years as well.  mchale averaged 9 board on a team where parish averaged 9-11 and bird averaged 9-10 as well.  put mchale on a lousy knicks team devoid of ANY big man talent in his prime and his "stats" would have been a lot different.

why you even bother to mention david lee and mchale in the same sentence is truly baffling.  one is a good player, one is HOF all time great.  not worth smooshing together

[/QUOTE]

For the sake of bringing up current names with a mentally ill racist who lives in the 60's-80's I compared OVERALL STATS, and made sure to say the overall TALENT was NOT comparable.

McHale's prime was what he did ages 24-30, not what he did in his one great season, that is what you call a ceiling that he could not/did not maintain over his entire '84-'90 prime, granted the foot injury ruined the end of that.

Kevin would have been greater outside of Bird's shadown, but then again many felt he only had the mentality to be a 2nd banana 20/8 guy anyhow. Defensively Lee and McHale are not in the same stratosphere, but on offense, just b/c Kevin was a genius in the pivot doesn't change the fact that he only got 1-3 more pts a game in his prime than Lee. And Lee was the better rebounder by 1-3 per even before McHale hurt his foot.

The 80's gave us some good white American frontcourt guys like McHale, Laimbeer and Chambers. But really, guys like Love, Anderson and Lee are comparable. It is only Bird who is a once in a lifetime we will never see. Run the racist cries that there are no more Ainge's and Bill Bradley's in the league anymore, but if those guys at age 22 entered the modern NBA they'd be no better than Redick and Ryan Anderson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to aciemvp's comment:

Ryan Anderson was a deadly 3 point shooter getting 16-17 points per game. I'd take him over Ainge or Hornacek if starting a team.

This statement above is ludicrous also.  Ainge & Hornacek did it consistantly for 15yrs.  Anderson had one good year in Orlando, again on a bad team... so there were points to be had.

I do like your retort as a whole regarding runrunrun's  bs.bs.bs.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

run - it's a conspiracy to get you to stop watching. I really hope it works. 

You are the worst poster of all time in this forum, it's not even close. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Well, for one thing, all of those guys are really pretty old now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Race completely aside - please, of the group, Havlicek belongs - his scoring and effect on outcome make the case.  Bradley was not a great player, especially on defense; Ainge was able to make enough mistakes to drive anyone crazy; Westphal was a good but not great player; Hornacek the same; Stockton never won anything or did anything spectacular except pass to Malone; Cowens was an enigma who played incredibly hard and small for a center - not HOF material, as much as I loved watching him; and finally, like Havlicek, McHale might belong in the Hall for being one of the games most effective low-post players. McHale won't make it because of his awful tenure as the 'Wolves GM even though the Celtics did get KG; it's a "what have you done for me lately" world.  No matter what he does in Houston, current HOF voters will remember him as Minne's GM.

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to painter's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Race completely aside - please, of the group, Havlicek belongs - his scoring and effect on outcome make the case.  Bradley was not a great player, especially on defense; Ainge was able to make enough mistakes to drive anyone crazy; Westphal was a good but not great player; Hornacek the same; Stockton never won anything or did anything spectacular except pass to Malone; Cowens was an enigma who played incredibly hard and small for a center - not HOF material, as much as I loved watching him; and finally, like Havlicek, McHale might belong in the Hall for being one of the games most effective low-post players. McHale won't make it because of his awful tenure as the 'Wolves GM even though the Celtics did get KG; it's a "what have you done for me lately" world.  No matter what he does in Houston, current HOF voters will remember him as Minne's GM.

News flash!!!!!!!

Full Name: Kevin Edward McHale
    Born: 12/19/57 in Hibbing, Minn.
    Height: 6-10; Weight: 225 lbs.
    High School: Hibbing (Minn.)
    College: Minnesota
    Drafted: Boston Celtics, 1980 (third overall) Honors: Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1999); NBA champion (1981, '84, '86); All-NBA First Team (1987); Sixth Man Award (1984, '85); All-Defensive First Team (1986, '87, '88); All-Defensive Second Team (1983, '89, '90); All-Rookie team (1981); Seven-time All-Star; One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hops29. Show hops29's posts

Thank you for pointing out McHale is ALREADY IN THE HALL OF FAME!

Barkley has said that the toughest guy he has ever played against is Kevin McHale,  and he has guarded just about everyone.  MJ, Bird, Malone, Nique, so that is saying a whole lot. 

I know ALOT of things come out of his mouth, but he doesn't BS about the game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]

Strike two!!!

You really need to do more internet research before posting.  Are you from Boston?  McHale & Cowens not HOF... really??

Full Name: David William Cowens
    Born: 10/25/48 in Newport, Ky.
    High School: Newport (Ky.) Central Catholic
    College: Florida State
    Drafted by: Boston Celtics, 1970 (fourth overall)
    Height: 6-9; Weight: 230 lbs.
    Transactions: Traded to Milwaukee Bucks, 9/9/82 Honors: Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame (1990); NBA champion (1974, '76); NBA MVP (1973); All-NBA Second Team (1973, '75, '76); All-Defensive First Team (1976); All-Defensive Second Team (1975, '80); NBA co-Rookie of the Year (1971); Seven-time All-Star; All-Star MVP ('73); One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to hops29's comment:

Thank you for pointing out McHale is ALREADY IN THE HALL OF FAME!

Barkley has said that the toughest guy he has ever played against is Kevin McHale,  and he has guarded just about everyone.  MJ, Bird, Malone, Nique, so that is saying a whole lot. 

I know ALOT of things come out of his mouth, but he doesn't BS about the game.

I have also heard Barkley say this. 

And...  Magic said as much only yesterday when asked to name his alltime team(excluding himself) he picked....  Russell,  Bird, McHale or Duncan(he could'nt choose), Jordan, and Isaih.

He could'nt pick LeBron cause he said the body of work was not complete.  Also,  notice....  No Kobe.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Run and run used to annoy the sh y te out of me but, now I feel only pity for the old sot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

"They don't put Ws and Ls on the paychecks" - Sidney Wicks

Of all time great players you know not.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

[QUOTE]

Race completely aside - please, of the group, Havlicek belongs - his scoring and effect on outcome make the case.  Bradley was not a great player, especially on defense; Ainge was able to make enough mistakes to drive anyone crazy; Westphal was a good but not great player; Hornacek the same; Stockton never won anything or did anything spectacular except pass to Malone; Cowens was an enigma who played incredibly hard and small for a center - not HOF material, as much as I loved watching him; and finally, like Havlicek, McHale might belong in the Hall for being one of the games most effective low-post players. McHale won't make it because of his awful tenure as the 'Wolves GM even though the Celtics did get KG; it's a "what have you done for me lately" world.  No matter what he does in Houston, current HOF voters will remember him as Minne's GM.

Just for the record,  and to finish this dumb paragraph off with a.....

STRIKE THREE!!!!

Bill Bradley is also in the Naismith Basketball of Fame(although he should'nt be).

Sections
Shortcuts