Why Not Give G. Oden a Shot!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Why Not Give G. Oden a Shot!

Greg Oden “Looks Unbelievable” in Workouts  

May 19th, 2013  

It is no secret that a comeback is in the cards for former number one draft pick, Greg Oden. For countless months now, we have heard about the progress of his ailing knees and the rumors of teams interested in the services of the big man.

According to former Ohio State teammate and potential 2013 draft pick DeShaun Thomas, ”Man, he looks unbelievable,” he said at the draft combine. “He’s running. He’s lifting weights. You might be seeing a comeback. He looks like he’s ready to go. He’s running, getting in shape. I’ll tell you one thing. For a big 7-footer that’s all he does, running and getting in shape. He’s looking right.”

Oden is now working out in his hometown of Indianapolis along with Thomas. Bob Finnan of the News-Herald said that Oden’s workouts have been something else.

Clearly, this is good news for a lot of NBA teams in need of a center, not just Oden. Although he has played just 82 career games after being drafted ahead of Kevin Durant in 2007 and has been out of the league for almost four years, he will still be just 25 years of age until midway through the season.

Oden hopes to make a return to the NBA in 2013-2014 for one final try at resurrecting a disappointing career as of now. As the days go on and the news continues, it seems like it is more and more promising that the former number one pick may be able to make a return to the association, this time to stay

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Re: Why Not Give G. Oden a Shot!

I'd give him a shot on a one year, non-guaranteed veteran's minimum contract that is fully insured against injury.  Unfortunately, someone will probably make him a better, more lucrative offer.  Good luck on that!

Other than that, I'll pass.  The most important factor for the Celtics getting a post player will be that player's ability to stay on the court.  It makes no sense in wasting a roster spot on a player who will not be able to play and, right now, you can't count on Oden.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

In response to Petey62's comment:

I'd give him a shot on a one year, non-guaranteed veteran's minimum contract that is fully insured against injury.  Unfortunately, someone will probably make him a better, more lucrative offer.  Good luck on that!

Other than that, I'll pass.  The most important factor for the Celtics getting a post player will be that player's ability to stay on the court.  It makes no sense in wasting a roster spot on a player who will not be able to play and, right now, you can't count on Oden.

I agree Petey, nothing long term! Oden has to prove he is healthy and warrants a long term deal! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

I'd have to agree, but the thought of a healthy and productive Oden is tantalizing.  I really feel for the guy, but sometimes individuals get to be too big for the stresses that are put on badly engineered joints, knees and feet in particular.  The human knee is one of the most inefficient and vulnerable of all - nearly every ounce of body weight is supported by two bones, one directly over the other, and some thin "shock absorbers" of cartilage.  Jordan's instinctive landing technique of coming down almost in a crouch saved his knees; too bad we all can't have that intuitive sense.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

the problem is that if we're willing to give him a vet min contract, then so would miami, and where would he rather play? duh.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

kaktug, I don't see that as a problem.  The probability of him playing a full season and/or being a significant contributor is "LOW" at best.  Oden is not all of a sudden going to be a guy who will give you 15-20 minutes a night for 75-82 games.  That just is not going to happen and if Miami decides to give him a shot, good for them.

I believe he'll get offers for more than the veteran's minimum and for more than one year but I would not do that if I'm DA.

I don't believe a player with the types, severity and number of injuries that he's had, recovers and plays.  He is worse off than Brandon Roy.  He may try a comeback but eventually, his body just won't allow him to be effective.

Of course he "allegedly" looks good right now.  Again, I'd evaluate him but I would not sign him to anything other than what I suggest in my first post, IF I were to sign him at all.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

If the second year is not guaranteed, then that is fine.  But he won't be around in another year.  It's tragic but it's true.  This guy's body just isn't made for the rigors of NBA basketball.

Somebody who can afford to take a flyer on him, will take that flyer.  I just believe it would NOT be good for that team to be the Celtics.  Honestly, I'd much rather go out and sign someone like a Kenyon Martin or Anderson because they will play and contribute over the course (the entire course) of the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

If the second year is not guaranteed, then that is fine.  But he won't be around in another year.  It's tragic but it's true.  This guy's body just isn't made for the rigors of NBA basketball.

Somebody who can afford to take a flyer on him, will take that flyer.  I just believe it would NOT be good for that team to be the Celtics.  Honestly, I'd much rather go out and sign someone like a Kenyon Martin or Anderson because they will play and contribute over the course (the entire course) of the season.

Too fragile, too often seriuosly injured, too bad.  He has the unteachable - height, but no matter his desire, he's still more likely than not going to go down again, and for a long time, again. Taking a low-cost flyer is one thing, becoming his last short-time employer signed to any contract longer than one year is another.  Ther are more bankable assets (for the season) available.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

In response to painter's comment:

Too fragile, too often seriuosly injured, too bad.  He has the unteachable - height, but no matter his desire, he's still more likely than not going to go down again, and for a long time, again. Taking a low-cost flyer is one thing, becoming his last short-time employer signed to any contract longer than one year is another.  Ther are more bankable assets (for the season) available.

+1    Totally agree.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I'd love for the C's to be able to give him an incentive-laden contract. I'm not 100% on all the ins and outs of NBA contracts, but as far as I know you can't do that like in football or baseball. I do know that they can insure it, like with baseball. If healthy, this kid could have been a monster. I feel really bad for him, and I really do hope he's able to make a comeback...and he would be a HUGE asset for the C's.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

Been looking through those leaked pics again, huh Fierce? ;)

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

It will probably cost at least the mid level to get oden. Someone will pay it. The question is do we want to role the dice? We WON"T get him for the vet min. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Judging from past history, I don't know of a single big man with bad knees (and Oden has very bad knees) ever making a successful comeback.  Virtually all players (most recently Brandon Roy) tell the world that they are feeling great and ready for a come-back.  Fact is that they all have nothing to lose trying to get that one last contract and squeeze a couple mill from some sucker before they retire for good.  Oden is done.  Pass.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Boston Celtics rumors 2013: Greg Oden still someone the Celtics will monitor  

DANNY_AINGE_MEDIA_DAY.JPG

Danny Ainge said the Celtics will continue keeping tabs on Greg Oden this summer.     

The Boston Celtics will continue monitoring Greg Oden during the injury-prone center's quest to return to the NBA, president of basketball operations Danny Ainge recentlytold the Boston Herald.

Oden met with the Celtics in early February but wasn't able to work out at the time, according to Ainge. Since then, the big fella has increased his activity level. Former Ohio State forward DeShaun Thomas, a projected second-round draft pick, said he has spent time in the gym with Oden and thinks the 2007 No. 1 pick looks "unbelievable."

“We’ll look into Greg still,” Ainge told the Herald. “He wasn’t ready to play when we saw him last. He wasn’t ready to work out — I mean, not like a real workout. We’ll probably check into that some time this summer.”

Despite being limited by injuries to just 82 games in his entire career, and none since 2009, Oden remains an intriguing free agent who will certainly draw plenty of interest assuming he can acquire some good health. Health has always been the issue, of course; Oden has actually dominated the interior whenever he stays on the court (which, admittedly, hasn't been often).

In addition to the Celtics, other teams rumored to be interested in Oden include the Cleveland Cavaliers, Miami Heat, Charlotte Bobcats, Dallas Mavericks and San Antonio Spurs.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

No thanks. I would ask Y give Oden a Shot, not why not give him one. Injured and not going to help this Cs team short or long term.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

ONE YEAR VET MIN- if someone else wants to sign him up for more $$$ then good luck to 'em

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

If the guy excels and looks healthy after a workout... why not roll the dice? 

Considering how snake bit our team has been with injuries the past several years, our lucks bound to change... although I certainly understand why anyone wouldnt take the chance on Oden and his knees

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregCelts. Show GregCelts's posts

Grant Hill had surgery after surgery in his twenties and got rejuvinated in his thirties.  You never know with modern medicine and nutrition.  The Celts are not going anywhere until Rondo comes back 100%.  If you want to gamble on a player, this is the year to do it.  A big short-term contract with financial incentives if he stays healthy.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

Oh totally give him a shot. A lot of big crocks out there and if we don't take him we'll take some other dud. He wants to play & won't do that at the heat. Even if he got the minutes Chris Wilxoc was getting...he'd be happy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

Grant hill is a waif compared to Oden.  You're talking about a huge difference in weight.  Not a valid comparison, IMO.