Why Pierce Got the 61m

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Why Pierce Got the 61m

The Laker fans hate Paul Pierce but you can't deny the fact that Pierce is a true professional and dedicated to winning. 

There are those who say that Pierce should not have gotten an extension beyond 3 years. I think the 4-year 61m Pierce got was money well spent. Not everyone will agree but I think Pierce deserves it because he worked hard for it. 

That's why I can't understand Andrew Bynum. After getting a contract extension in 2009, 4-year 58m, he went to Europe for a vacation instead of working on his game with Kareem in the offseason. Then this year, after the Finals, he chose to delay surgery so that he can watch the World Cup in Africa. Talk about dedication and priorities. Cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m

The problem is Pierce has been paid franchise money when he was never a franchise player. He was good enough to be Robin to a true Batman but unfortunately Celtic management never recognized that. It was only the addition of KG that got the Celtics over the line.

Alas, Pierce will end up costing the Celtics a chance to re-build with younger, better players but the decision has been made so lets roll the dice.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m:
    [QUOTE]The problem is Pierce has been paid franchise money when he was never a franchise player. He was good enough to be Robin to a true Batman but unfortunately Celtic management never recognized that. It was only the addition of KG that got the Celtics over the line. Alas, Pierce will end up costing the Celtics a chance to re-build with younger, better players but the decision has been made so lets roll the dice.
    Posted by RUMcHale[/QUOTE]

2008 Finals MVP, led the Celtics in scoring for 3 straight seasons even with KG and Ray on board. I don't think Pierce is the Robin here. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

[QUOTE]The problem is Pierce has been paid franchise money when he was never a franchise player. He was good enough to be Robin to a true Batman but unfortunately Celtic management never recognized that. It was only the addition of KG that got the Celtics over the line. Alas, Pierce will end up costing the Celtics a chance to re-build with younger, better players but the decision has been made so lets roll the dice.

Don't forget that Kobe never won a title without Shaq or Gasol. Kobe even asked the Lakers to trade him to Chicago, in November of 2007, because his supporting cast was crap. Remember that? When Kobe went to ESPN Radio to publicly demand that the Lakers trade him to the Bulls.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUWorthy. Show RUWorthy's posts

There were always rumors about Paul Pierce being traded or demanding a trade from the Celtics around the 06/07 year. Can't say I blame the guy for being frustrated at that stage.

Pierce is an odd one, great player for the Celtics. Maybe one of the all time best. But capable of leading a team single handedly to the NBA finals? No. Although he's not alone in this regard. Most players have needed good supporting casts, I wouldn't call Ray Allen and KG supporting cast type of guys though. Although they were at the same level as Pierce, almost able to get to the finals but not quite able to do so. Of the three I'd say KG is the most talented and capable to taking a team of players to the finals. I think from the outside looking in KG is the reason the Cetlics were transformed into a team that could contend for a title.

Pierce just doesn't have that factor that Russell, Magic Johnson, Bird or Michael Jordan (apologies to anyone left out of this list) have. That ability to transform a team and take them to multiple championships though sheer force of will.

I'd say that Pierce is a similar player to Clyde Drexler. Which in my mind is good company for anyone who's played basketball. Clyde won a ring with Houston and went to two finals series with Portland. Which is the where Pierce is currently at, and this year is Pierces last realistic chance to win a title IMO. I think they're similar kind of players. Although Pierce is a better clutch player. Thinking about the two players now I think Clyde was a slightly better player than Pierce is. But not by much.  Really is almost an apples Vs oranges arguement.

Does pierce deserve the contract, well if his employers think he's worth it, I wouldn't argue. Does he have more drive than Andrew Bynum. YES. Andrew has a lot to learn about how to conduct himself in the NBA. You'd think all that time spent with Kareem would be working into his psyche but it doesn't look that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Pierce is nowhere near Bill Russell or Larry Bird, he's what is known as a 2nd tier superstar. That's why Pierce is only being paid 15m per year while Kobe is getting 27m per year. But if we compare Pierce to some of the other up and coming stars like Andrew Bynum, who loves to go on vacation during the off season, I think Pierce is worth the 61m. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Good points made by all......nice job everyone! ....anything I could add on this subject has already been said from both sides.....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]There were always rumors about Paul Pierce being traded or demanding a trade from the Celtics around the 06/07 year. Can't say I blame the guy for being frustrated at that stage. Pierce is an odd one, great player for the Celtics. Maybe one of the all time best. But capable of leading a team single handedly to the NBA finals? No. Although he's not alone in this regard. Most players have needed good supporting casts, I wouldn't call Ray Allen and KG supporting cast type of guys though. Although they were at the same level as Pierce, almost able to get to the finals but not quite able to do so. Of the three I'd say KG is the most talented and capable to taking a team of players to the finals. I think from the outside looking in KG is the reason the Cetlics were transformed into a team that could contend for a title. Pierce just doesn't have that factor that Russell, Magic Johnson, Bird or Michael Jordan (apologies to anyone left out of this list) have. That ability to transform a team and take them to multiple championships though sheer force of will. I'd say that Pierce is a similar player to Clyde Drexler. Which in my mind is good company for anyone who's played basketball. Clyde won a ring with Houston and went to two finals series with Portland. Which is the where Pierce is currently at, and this year is Pierces last realistic chance to win a title IMO. I think they're similar kind of players. Although Pierce is a better clutch player. Thinking about the two players now I think Clyde was a slightly better player than Pierce is. But not by much.  Really is almost an apples Vs oranges arguement. Does pierce deserve the contract, well if his employers think he's worth it, I wouldn't argue. Does he have more drive than Andrew Bynum. YES. Andrew has a lot to learn about how to conduct himself in the NBA. You'd think all that time spent with Kareem would be working into his psyche but it doesn't look that way.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Well, according to the radio out here, Bynum didn't spend a lot of time with Kareem last year, rumors to the contrary.  Apparently, the Captain was going to make time, but the Young Buck rejected him.  It was BIG news out here at the time - Bynum stiffs Kareem, something like that.....................all makes sense, right.
    I believe Pierce and koME share one more thing, as well.  The lakers had to choose between Shaq and koME - and they chose wisely.
    The Celtics had to choose (some would say) between Pierce and Walker - they also chose wisely.
    I will be honest, though. Before 2008, I really felt DA would trade Pierce.  Danny said he didn't like Walker's game....lots of 6-20 nights.  Then Pierce started doing the same thing....7-20, 8-25..........but he stuck with him, and we are grateful for that!

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]I have no problem with the contract other than the 4th year being guaranteed ... Now if Pierce gets to year four and let's the C's off the hook so he can go to Europe early with his family to play ball there, great! He's happy, we're happy and the C's get some relief and possibly the ability to add another piece.
    Posted by Mployee8[/QUOTE]

There's that word again!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

There's no way Pierce will let guaranteed money let slip. Like most, if not all, professional athletes their hyper inflated ego's won't let them bow out gracefully and will take what they often perceive is 'rightfully' theirs.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]There's no way Pierce will let guaranteed money let slip. Like most, if not all, professional athletes their hyper inflated ego's won't let them bow out gracefully and will take what they often perceive is 'rightfully' theirs.

Spoken like a "true" Celtics fan.

So, then, as a Celtics fan you'd agree that koME is holding the lakers hostage for the next 3 years by demanding "what is his" aka 30 mill/yr.  They can't make trades, and can only sign players for the MLE or league minimum due to his "hyper inflated ego."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m : Spoken like a "true" Celtics fan. So, then, as a Celtics fan you'd agree that koME is holding the lakers hostage for the next 3 years by demanding "what is his" aka 30 mill/yr.  They can't make trades, and can only sign players for the MLE or league minimum due to his "hyper inflated ego."
    Posted by BirdandCowens[/QUOTE]

Kobe is a franchise player whether you love him or hate him. He's paid accordingly and who can argue with 5 championships. You? Pierce with his 1? If I had to put all my money on who would win a championship in the next 3 years between Pierce or Kobe, I'd pick Kobe. As would you but your ego won't let you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m : Kobe is a franchise player whether you love him or hate him. He's paid accordingly and who can argue with 5 championships. You? Pierce with his 1? If I had to put all my money on who would win a championship in the next 3 years between Pierce or Kobe, I'd pick Kobe. As would you but your ego won't let you.

Pierce took a pay cut, koME got a raise.  He has crippled his team for the next 3 years........end of story

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from brndonthagreat. Show brndonthagreat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m : Don't forget that Kobe never won a title without Shaq or Gasol. Kobe even asked the Lakers to trade him to Chicago, in November of 2007, because his supporting cast was crap. Remember that? When Kobe went to ESPN Radio to publicly demand that the Lakers trade him to the Bulls.  
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]

Kobe never won w/o shaq or pau? seriously is that the basis of your argument. Just curious. Has anyone in the history of the nba ever won a title w/o somebody. even michael had scottie. i guess iverson got the closest to this accomplishment with lebron being a close second. lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BirdandCowens. Show BirdandCowens's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m : Kobe never won w/o shaq or pau? seriously is that the basis of your argument. Just curious. Has anyone in the history of the nba ever won a title w/o somebody. even michael had scottie. i guess iverson got the closest to this accomplishment with lebron being a close second. lol
    Posted by brndonthagreat[/QUOTE]

Pau is arguably the second best player in the league. As was Pippen.  I believe the argument is - if koME is so great, put him on the Nets and have him win a title there.  You seem to enjoy taking Russell off the Celtics, so, plug MeBron or Carmelo on the current lakers team and they still have a great chance to win - koME is a part, yes, but he is not God, as you people seem to think!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brndonthagreat. Show brndonthagreat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m : Pau is arguably the second best player in the league. As was Pippen.  I believe the argument is - if koME is so great, put him on the Nets and have him win a title there.  You seem to enjoy taking Russell off the Celtics, so, plug MeBron or Carmelo on the current lakers team and they still have a great chance to win - koME is a part, yes, but he is not God, as you people seem to think!

in what world is pau the second best player in the league. top 10 maybe but second best is nonesense. good question about kobe tho. we got to see him w/o pau and shaq. he was great but his team sucked. fact is everybody needs somebody to win championships but only the greatest can mantain their legacy of greatness on their own. I use Bill as an ex  because i think he would be dennis rodman at best w/o all the championships. call me crazy but he would not have won those championship if he werent part of those all star celtic teams

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m : Pierce took a pay cut, koME got a raise.  He has crippled his team for the next 3 years........end of story

Glad you know so much about the Lakers. I'm curious how you think they are crippled. I for one think they will be in the Finals this season so if that's your definition of 'crippled' then all teams wanna be crippled.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LAkeravenger. Show LAkeravenger's posts

In Response to Why Pierce Got the 61m:
    [QUOTE]http://bostonherald.com/sports/basketball/celtics/view/20100926paul_pierce_already_back_at_it_with_celtics/ The Laker fans hate Paul Pierce but you can't deny the fact that Pierce is a true professional and dedicated to winning.  There are those who say that Pierce should not have gotten an extension beyond 3 years. I think the 4-year 61m Pierce got was money well spent. Not everyone will agree but I think Pierce deserves it because he worked hard for it.  That's why I can't understand Andrew Bynum. After getting a contract extension in 2009, 4-year 58m, he went to Europe for a vacation instead of working on his game with Kareem in the offseason. Then this year, after the Finals, he chose to delay surgery so that he can watch the World Cup in Africa. Talk about dedication and priorities. 
    Posted by P34[/QUOTE]
    The gay rondo did the same thing but insisted on playing for the U.S. too, then got himself rejected because he just wasn't good enough. He needed to work on his freethrows and outside  shot, but I guess that was too much dedication for him, huh?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

My take on the Pierce contract is that there were limited ways to get some salary cap flexibility.  The C's need the flexibility now and paying Pierce when his best days are behind him was a means to an end.  Plus I really believe that both sides want him to finish his career in Boston.  He may regret the 4th year of the deal (if it's even guaranteed) when Ray and KG are long gone.  But if the owners were willing to given him a golden handshake deal then there are worse things in the world, like seeing Pierce play somewhere else. 

I will enjoy the next two years.  I'll worry about the rest later. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

[QUOTE]There were always rumors about Paul Pierce being traded or demanding a trade from the Celtics around the 06/07 year. Can't say I blame the guy for being frustrated at that stage. Pierce is an odd one, great player for the Celtics. Maybe one of the all time best. But capable of leading a team single handedly to the NBA finals? No. Although he's not alone in this regard. Most players have needed good supporting casts, I wouldn't call Ray Allen and KG supporting cast type of guys though. Although they were at the same level as Pierce, almost able to get to the finals but not quite able to do so. Of the three I'd say KG is the most talented and capable to taking a team of players to the finals. I think from the outside looking in KG is the reason the Cetlics were transformed into a team that could contend for a title. Pierce just doesn't have that factor that Russell, Magic Johnson, Bird or Michael Jordan (apologies to anyone left out of this list) have. That ability to transform a team and take them to multiple championships though sheer force of will. I'd say that Pierce is a similar player to Clyde Drexler. Which in my mind is good company for anyone who's played basketball. Clyde won a ring with Houston and went to two finals series with Portland. Which is the where Pierce is currently at, and this year is Pierces last realistic chance to win a title IMO. I think they're similar kind of players. Although Pierce is a better clutch player. Thinking about the two players now I think Clyde was a slightly better player than Pierce is. But not by much.  Really is almost an apples Vs oranges arguement. Does pierce deserve the contract, well if his employers think he's worth it, I wouldn't argue. Does he have more drive than Andrew Bynum. YES. Andrew has a lot to learn about how to conduct himself in the NBA. You'd think all that time spent with Kareem would be working into his psyche but it doesn't look that way.
    Posted by RUWorthy[/QUOTE]

Worthy, nobody single handedly brings a team to a finals. Every great player has a supporting cast. Jordan, Bird, Kobe, Magic,etc... I think Pierce got his contract partially out of respect, however, should he have had a cast around him in his earlier days here, I would definately say that he is a franchise player. He was always very underated because of the teams we used to have around him. I say this putting all my being a "homer" aside.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m : Worthy, nobody single handedly brings a team to a finals. Every great player has a supporting cast. Jordan, Bird, Kobe, Magic,etc... I think Pierce got his contract partially out of respect, however, should he have had a cast around him in his earlier days here, I would definately say that he is a franchise player. He was always very underated because of the teams we used to have around him. I say this putting all my being a "homer" aside.
    Posted by nightrider495[/QUOTE]

Pierce was never a franchise player. Name one franchise player that had Bostons record in 2007 (24-58)? Pierce was a strong no#2 but just like management they thought he was the next coming of Bird. It's only when we got a true franchise player in KG that the Celts became a force again.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

http://www.lakersweb.net/yearbyyear/lalakers_2004_2005.htm

How about that, after making the Finals in 2004 the Lakers failed to make playoffs even when Kobe averaged 27.6 ppg. Guess Kobe is not a franchise player after all. Cool

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why Pierce Got the 61m : Kobe is a franchise player whether you love him or hate him. He's paid accordingly and who can argue with 5 championships. You? Pierce with his 1? If I had to put all my money on who would win a championship in the next 3 years between Pierce or Kobe, I'd pick Kobe. As would you but your ego won't let you.

Well let me add something here.  If Paul had played 3-4 years with Shaq at his side like KOME did, Paul would have at least 4 rings now and Kome wouldn't. End of story.