Why root for this team again??

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from celticelmo. Show celticelmo's posts

Re: Why root for this team again??

In response to jhol's comment:

I still watch every game but there are a few differences for me personally this year. For instance, if I have to take a leak, I will go take a leak and don't even bother pausing the game. Also, if my wife starts talking to me about painting or fixing this or that, I will listen to her and discuss without pausing the game. I will also take the dog out for a dump without pausing the game. Jeff Green can have a monster one handed slam and I rarely rewind to watch it over. I have occasionally gone to bed before the game is over and will check the score in the morning. I consider myself a diehard fan but I have digressed some.

Do I need help?

LOL jhol..."Also, if my wife starts talking to me about painting or fixing this or that, I will listen to her and discuss without pausing the game."

NO Sir, you are also "building for the future". Get all that stuff out of the way so when the C's are good again, you can go back to ignoring your wife...My philosophy as well my friend.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to celticelmo's comment:

In response to jhol's comment:

I still watch every game but there are a few differences for me personally this year. For instance, if I have to take a leak, I will go take a leak and don't even bother pausing the game. Also, if my wife starts talking to me about painting or fixing this or that, I will listen to her and discuss without pausing the game. I will also take the dog out for a dump without pausing the game. Jeff Green can have a monster one handed slam and I rarely rewind to watch it over. I have occasionally gone to bed before the game is over and will check the score in the morning. I consider myself a diehard fan but I have digressed some.

Do I need help?

LOL jhol..."Also, if my wife starts talking to me about painting or fixing this or that, I will listen to her and discuss without pausing the game."

NO Sir, you are also "building for the future". Get all that stuff out of the way so when the C's are good again, you can go back to ignoring your wife...My philosophy as well my friend.

Finally people are speaking my language!!!!!!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to painter's comment:

Well.......that was a very nice post up until the end.  I'm glad you're enjoying this 13 win team full of people that wont be on the team next year. 

Let me ask you a question.....Are you rooting for this team to win or lose?  Be honest with your answer....  Don't say something lame again like "This is our team, the team that has dominated the NBA since its inception,"....that's like Yankee fans saying to Sox fans "We have 27 rings so we're the best!!" 

Admit it.....you're like everybody else, looking at the standings and hoping the Celts drop BELOW Orlando and Philly in the standings.  This is not a 'Celtics team'....this is a team assembled by trades of people that were THROW INS to make the salary portion of it work.  The future of this team is not the team you're watching.....the future of this team is the several draft picks yet to be selected.....you know I'm right.

I'm not of the "tank" mentality and will accept how things are or how they will go because I am fully aware that any possible personal preferences of mine have no effect on what happens.  I want the Celtics to win every game, always have, and at the same time I know they can't. This is undoubtedly not the team that we'll see next year, but while these guys are here, they are the team I will support.  It's not as if I don't have opinions about each player, but I'm willing to suspend most of what a lot of people on this board are exercised about, especially wanting a couple of players to be traded under any circumstances.  I can assess the plusses and minuses of each player, and have, but in the main, I can accept some down years. The reality is that Boston is an outstanding sports town with its teams winning many championships - Celtics, Sox, Bruins, Patsies - just since 2000, and I'm totally thrilled when they do.  But, I don't have unreasonable expectations that they will all win championships every year.  There are cities that haven't even sniffed at a major sports championship, so I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had the great pleasure of seeing so many titles in Boston.  Here's what I dream of: the Celtics to play hard as a team and then allow DA to use his assests to put together another championship caliber team through the draft, trades, and siginings. No mystery but not exactly a piece cake and might take a few years. That's not happening at this very moment because the draft is held in June and free agents are yet to hit the market. I agree with you that so far this season, he's made trades for cap reasons and to gain more leverage, not literally to acquire the players we'll see in the future - they have two D-League guys (maybe more belong there?), for crying out loud. However, they're wearing Celtics uniforms and seem to play well, so I'm watching basketball and enjoying it. I've been around the game long enough as a player and fan to accept things as they are and to want more. Would I like to see another quartet of Larry Bird/McHale/Parish/DJ appear?  Sure, and so would everyone else, but to quote Rick Pitino,... never mind, I won't. I hated what he did to this team just as I hated what John Y. Brown did. Sorry for that. Anyway, I'm not holding my nose while I watch the team play up to their capabilities, and if they aren't high enough to compile a competitive record, that doesn't mean that the team isn't competing in games.  I don't own sports paraphernalia or possess an all or nothing attitude; I just love the game and have loved this team for a long time.  I won't quit if they won't.  By the way, all of the Celtics championships have been satisfying, all of them, and I've seen them all (starting as a young kid), very unlike current Yankee fans who might revel in trophies from the '20s and '30s (or Lakers' fans trying to claim Minnesota's titles). The Celtics have won during my lifetime, so to me they seem relatively current.  

In the end, I agree with a lot of what you've written, but I can't stop being a Celtics/basketball fan just because they aren't where we all want them to be, nor can I write them off because now isn't the future. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

I don't get why you wouldn't root for your team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

Well.......that was a very nice post up until the end.  I'm glad you're enjoying this 13 win team full of people that wont be on the team next year. 

Let me ask you a question.....Are you rooting for this team to win or lose?  Be honest with your answer....  Don't say something lame again like "This is our team, the team that has dominated the NBA since its inception,"....that's like Yankee fans saying to Sox fans "We have 27 rings so we're the best!!" 

Admit it.....you're like everybody else, looking at the standings and hoping the Celts drop BELOW Orlando and Philly in the standings.  This is not a 'Celtics team'....this is a team assembled by trades of people that were THROW INS to make the salary portion of it work.  The future of this team is not the team you're watching.....the future of this team is the several draft picks yet to be selected.....you know I'm right.

I'm not of the "tank" mentality and will accept how things are or how they will go because I am fully aware that any possible personal preferences of mine have no effect on what happens.  I want the Celtics to win every game, always have, and at the same time I know they can't. This is undoubtedly not the team that we'll see next year, but while these guys are here, they are the team I will support.  It's not as if I don't have opinions about each player, but I'm willing to suspend most of what a lot of people on this board are exercised about, especially wanting a couple of players to be traded under any circumstances.  I can assess the plusses and minuses of each player, and have, but in the main, I can accept some down years. The reality is that Boston is an outstanding sports town with its teams winning many championships - Celtics, Sox, Bruins, Patsies - just since 2000, and I'm totally thrilled when they do.  But, I don't have unreasonable expectations that they will all win championships every year.  There are cities that haven't even sniffed at a major sports championship, so I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had the great pleasure of seeing so many titles in Boston.  Here's what I dream of: the Celtics to play hard as a team and then allow DA to use his assests to put together another championship caliber team through the draft, trades, and siginings. No mystery but not exactly a piece cake and might take a few years. That's not happening at this very moment because the draft is held in June and free agents are yet to hit the market. I agree with you that so far this season, he's made trades for cap reasons and to gain more leverage, not literally to acquire the players we'll see in the future - they have two D-League guys (maybe more belong there?), for crying out loud. However, they're wearing Celtics uniforms and seem to play well, so I'm watching basketball and enjoying it. I've been around the game long enough as a player and fan to accept things as they are and to want more. Would I like to see another quartet of Larry Bird/McHale/Parish/DJ appear?  Sure, and so would everyone else, but to quote Rick Pitino,... never mind, I won't. I hated what he did to this team just as I hated what John Y. Brown did. Sorry for that. Anyway, I'm not holding my nose while I watch the team play up to their capabilities, and if they aren't high enough to compile a competitive record, that doesn't mean that the team isn't competing in games.  I don't own sports paraphernalia or possess an all or nothing attitude; I just love the game and have loved this team for a long time.  I won't quit if they won't.  By the way, all of the Celtics championships have been satisfying, all of them, and I've seen them all (starting as a young kid), very unlike current Yankee fans who might revel in trophies from the '20s and '30s (or Lakers' fans trying to claim Minnesota's titles). The Celtics have won during my lifetime, so to me they seem relatively current.  

In the end, I agree with a lot of what you've written, but I can't stop being a Celtics/basketball fan just because they aren't where we all want them to be, nor can I write them off because now isn't the future. 

Excellent post and very well written. Thanks for taking the time to reply. 

After watching yesterdays game though.....I really don't think I can do it anymore.  I'm sorry if it makes me a bad fan of the team but it is simply NOT a good brand of basketball.  I liken it to the Sox team from 2012.  Once all of the players were traded (which was the best trade ever) we were essentially watching a AAA team....and spending at least 3 hours a day doing it.  It was bad baseball.  I usually watch every game, as with the Celtics but when it is simply bad I look at the time wasted and the other things I can be doing...and I do it.  I just dont find this team easy to watch....which makes it hard to root for them.  Sure they play hard but so does the local small college team down the road, or the local high school team and even the Portland Red Claws that I see a bunch of times a year as I am fortunate enough to live near Portland and my company has season seats.  I would much much rather watch these teams play as the brand of basketball they play is on par with the rest of the league.  In the case of the Celtics.....they honestly would have trouble beating some D league teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from painter. Show painter's posts

Where were the Celtics two or three years before the arrival of KG and RA and the rest of the team that was compiled to win a championship? They played around .500 ball for a number of years before going 24-58 in 2006-2007. What happened after that? Were they a sub-.500 team even with aging and injured players? The fact, yes fact, of the matter is that the franchise is no longer satisfied with putting a .500 team on the floor year after year and will make the necessary changes to become "championship-driven", as ML used to say. I know that Danny Ainge has a competitive fire and won't tolerate losing for a long period, and he'll rebuild aggressively, as he's already begun.

I watch and support the team because, well, why not?  Whatever happens on the floor isn't done to me; I'm not personally offended by their losing, and if players aren't up to the collective grind, it's not because they don't want to be but because they don't have the horses to be truly competitive. DA traded away PP and KG who might have helped, but to what degree and to what end really?  Ainge decided to essentially start over and has acted on that decision, but the current roster is filled will guys that can't individually affect outcomes for the team, night in and night out - no one player, not the rapist, not LaQueen, not the estimable Kevin Durant, or any other one player can make up for a lack of his team's support (think Larry without KMcH, DJ, RP, et al - he couldn't have won much without them). These Celtics remain the Boston Celtics, no matter their record or their roster. Additionally, basketball at its highest level is the reason that I watch the NBA, and I watch it through the team I have always supported - the Celtics.  If anyone, especially the loudest complainers and those threatening to drop out/walk away, were offered free tickets for the rest of the season, how many would refuse them - cutting off their noses in the process, by the way?  And, if they accepted under the guise of watching their opponents, who could, in their hearts, not want the Celtics to play well and would root accordingly. Truthfully, even the "tank" proponents would succumb to the lure of possibility. "Can't win 'em all", but the players still play to win as best they can. So, win or lose, I'm sticking with the team.

I always write way too much.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

The trick is to root as much as you wish,  but you just don't need to  feel as bad as you normally would when they (we) lose.  You can have it both ways!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

There have been many games where we have been ahead at the end of the 3rd qtr and then the other team pulls way. I wonder if the better teams take us for granted and rest their stars until the closing minutes when they need the victory. I got a sadistic kick out of the headline "Knicks crush Celtics in New York"...hmmm??? Mean they wouldn't have in Boston? Previous game vs OKC headline said "Thunder smash Celtics" so "Knicks crush Celtics" would have been enough. The mention of the city of New york bugged me as I'm a Sox & Pats fan too & hate the Yankees & Giants.  Sorry, I'm getting too pessimistic.

I like Stevens and his experience as a college coach will help as we keep some young Vets( yup only a few years makes them Vets). I would keep Sully, Johnson( can play Guard or Forward) and Oly and see if he develops as we did with Fav Melo who did not.  Keep 2 of the 4 Guards, Rondo, Bradley, Bayless or Pressey( yup, trade Rondo too if we get a #1 draft pick) & definitely unload Wallace, Bass & Green. Keep Humphries depending upon who we can get for PF and Centers in the draft. The key is to bite the bullet for 2-3 years & build via the draft adding 1-2 Vets as Golden State  did. I like the Warriors who built mostly through the draft with Curry, Thompson, Barnes, Lee etc. and then added some Vets like Iguodala & Bogut. They are fun to watch and competitive.

Stevens is the perfect coach, college experience, to meld a young team together.

Sections
Shortcuts