why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeezem. Show jeezem's posts

Re: why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green

just picture Doc last year in Game 7 watching his team get creamed on the boards, looking at his bench thinking well, what can I do?  Picture next year, his team getting creamed on the boards and thinking (with a coy smile), well - I guess we'll put in the biggest center in the league and see what happens.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from walton. Show walton's posts

Shaq is horrible. He can't rebound anymore. Who says he can rebound? He can't react to the ball and move laterally well enough to get meaningful rebounds. Phoenix was a much better team after he left. There is a good article on Yahoo Sports about how Cleveland was a much better team offensively when he was on the pine. Much better............and his defense. This is a pipedream. When someone is done.........they're done.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In Response to Re: why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green:
    [QUOTE]               Shaq is horrible. He can't rebound anymore. Who says he can rebound? He can't react to the ball and move laterally well enough to get meaningful rebounds. Phoenix was a much better team after he left. There is a good article on Yahoo Sports about how Cleveland was a much better team offensively when he was on the pine. Much better............and his defense. This is a pipedream. When someone is done.........they're done.
    Posted by walton[/QUOTE]

wrong

Perk got less than 1 rebound more than shaq last year in less than 1 minute more... to me they are nearly equal rebounds... except Perk is 3" shorter and rarely wins the tip or shows he has much of a vert, and he had serious issues trying to get boards over 7 footers Pau/Bynum

Shaq @ vet min really helps on the boards... the Celts were one of the worst teams in the league at this, Sheed for his height was historically pathetic. Jermaine O'Neal over Sheed is the huge plus.

So who did you want for the veteran min at small minutes? A historic bust like Kwame or a HOF with a massive chip on his shoulder against 2 teams we may see in the playoffs when he'll be very well rested

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green : That's because in Phoenix Shaq demanded that he be the 1st or 2nd option. Same thing in Cleveland, he had to be a starter. It's different with the Celtics, Shaq agreed to play a supporting role.  Meaning if he's not playing well the Celtics can bench him. 
    Posted by Fierce34[/QUOTE]
        Well said Fierce. Because he's playing a supporting role rather than a major role, he should be more effective. I also think that with the team maturity of the C's and Doc's coaching, they will utilitize Shaq in the best way. How it will be done, I don't know.  I leave it to better basketball minds like Pierce, K.G, Ray, Doc etc.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Anyone else remember the Celts best lineup in '08 had Posey at the 4 and Perk on the bench,.

2nd hlf of last year, after minor injuries, it seemed that Baby, and his better hands and ability to finish off the glass, was a more effective player than Perk.

A rehabbing Perk is not going to be a major factor, again, who did you want for the vet min who would be better Walton??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SusanLovesCelts. Show SusanLovesCelts's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green : you know, i think that's more a reflection on lebron than anything else.  shaq clogged the middle in LA and miami and won the cup in both places- d-wade and kobe didn't have ANY trouble getting their business done with the big cheeseburger in the lane. so for lebron , who is bigger (by 50 pounds!!@@#@#) and taller than either of those two guys to come up THAT SHORT with a shaq in the lineup makes no sense.  i look for the explanation to be something with lebron . lebron , or 'bronnie' as i call him, after all did QUIT on his team in the playoffs in at least two games that i saw and now gilbert says it was parts or most of 4 out of 6.  shaq is what he is but he's never been a quitter.  and i would actually listen with great interest whenever shaq decides to share his thoughts on lebron as a player and man....... i'm sure there are some interesting insights- and i'm talking within the realm of truth and not 'entertainment value' or clowning around.  ====== for all o' you guys who think perkins is going to come back and take over the starting position in the same old role, i think you're nuts.  he was barely passable as an untalented bruiser with two good wheels.  at times he was a coat of paint away from being the subject of nightmares for many of us.  prior to his knee injury he turned in some of the rottenest rebounding performances i can remember... how's he going to be now?? i would be very astonished if the c's rushed him back as a starter unless he proved that he had the mobility to do so.  and even then among the 3 choices on the roster, he's still the worst player even if he's 100%.  he may be good for a 12 minute phantom starter at best....
    Posted by aciemvp[/QUOTE]

Agreed 10000000 %!  I'd take Shaq and Jermaine at 45 years old over Perkins. Perk should be nothing more than a back up center at BEST and no way he should get his starting job back over these two.  To be honest I wish we'd just trade him for some draft picks.  Never was or will be a Perkins fan no matter what uni he is wearing. Just a bumbling clod taking up space in my opinion

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

[QUOTE]Never was or will be a Perkins fan no matter what uni he is wearing. Just a bumbling clod taking up space in my opinion
    Posted by SusanLovesCelts[/QUOTE]

He was a hard working clod who endeared himself to me and other fans through that......... and then the horrible onslaught of technical fouls began.  and it never stopped because the coaches and everyone else just let it happen.  it did no good for the team and really hurt us in the playoffs since perkins thought he had to be "gentle" all of the sudden.  just a really stupid scene and i hope we are out of it for good!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Based on the posts very few of you Celtic bloggers have ever watched Shaq play on a consistent basis. He's not a rebounder, never has been. Why, with his size? Too lazy and now too old.

Shaq's focus has always been scoring down low. He hates having to guard anyone, compounded by his age and consistently being out of shape. He's a good passer. But don't rely on Shaq running the court. If the opposing center is young enough to run (i.e., Bynum, Howard), it will be 5 against the Boston 4.

Doesn't play d, can be pic-n-rolled to death, 5 ft away from the basket is a liability, and can't shoot free-throws. And he's 38 years OLD. 

Ask any Phoenix, Miami, and Laker fan--they know the real Shaq. Not the guy with the jokes, but the one who is a cancer in the locker room, demands touches, that erroneously feels he can still carry a team and is easily slighted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from qianxue. Show qianxue's posts

I really like the signing and something like .........

http://www.america-jerseys.com/products/Boston-Celtics-s347_p1.html

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

It's amazing the La La landers think we've never seen Shaq play.  He is very susceptible to the pick and role.  The whole NBA knows it.  Including the C's which is a much better defensive team than he's payed with. You don't think Doc will coach his squad to help with his weaknesses?  Please!  As for being slow...The C's cut off numerous drives before Sheed or Perk lumber down the court.  Shaq is not appreciably slower than they are.

RBing is a team game.  One reason KG was out RBed in the last two Finals games was because of Perks absence.  Gasol isn't much without a physical presence by himself either.  Bynum is a physical presence. Shaq is a physical presence -  and at 39 will be used in select minutes b/c they will have JON and Perk.  Not to mention, Shaq is a far better low post player than they've had in quite some time.

With the C's, seeing less of Shaq, with the right combination of players, is likely to bring out the best from him.  That was not the case in CLE or PHO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from qianxue. Show qianxue's posts

I'm sure Doc will know where to pick and choose as far as matchups are concerned.
    www.america-jerseys.com/products/Boston-Celtics-s347_p1.html

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

Who was the best free agent 5 available - true 5 not he can play at the 5?

Who could you sign for the vet min that could contribute at the 5?

Who can average 12pts. in 20 min. for the season?

We spent the MLE on JO for a reason.  He's Perk's replacement.  He's the 5.  Shaq is the backup.  He replaces Sheed.  It's that simple.  He adds pure lowpost game and he rebounds.  His passing game is far superior to any of the bigs on the team.  This will be a much bigger asset than anyone mentions.  Also he commands a defender.  The opposing center will not slough off him, because Shaq will go to the rim and once in the paint, he is still unstoppable.

FOR A $1.4MIL CENTER,  HAS THERE EVER BEEN A BETTER PICK UP???

PA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

FOR A $1.4MIL CENTER,  HAS THERE EVER BEEN A BETTER PICK UP???

Never ever!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PACelt. Show PACelt's posts

[QUOTE]FOR A $1.4MIL CENTER,  HAS THERE EVER BEEN A BETTER PICK UP??? Never ever!
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

Right on bert!!!  It's all a matter of perspective.  We needed a back up center.  We got the best available at the cheapest possible price.  He provides some assets that Doc can work with.  Sure he has liabilities; who doesn't?

Is he better than Brown?  Boone?  Barron? Erden?

Do I expect him to be better than he was in Cleveland?  Not as an individual.  Do I expect him to be better because he is now on a better team?  Absolutely! 

Best back up center that we could get!!!  At min.  LOL

PA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

In Response to why Shaq DOES NOT work in Green:
    [QUOTE]ok so this is what bothers me about this deal.  you already have an awful free throw shooter on this team in Rondo.  I do not like this move as Shaq is even worse the RR so at the end of the game how could you have these 2 on the court.  We will need Shaq on the d-end of the court while Perk is out.  I have a bad feeling we will see a hack a Shaq approach with him and Rondo both on the court.  Also, with this signing i feel like using the whole MLE on the JON was a waist.  When Perk comes back where does it put him on the depth chart of bigs? What do you guys think about issues like this.  The rest of the posts on here today has everyone all of a sudden being a huge shaq fan.
    Posted by bostondynNASTY[/QUOTE]

1) Rondo will improve his FT shooting cause he's a worker.
    2) The Shaq signing gets better if he shows up in shape.
    3) When Perk returns, Shaq backs him up at the 5 and Jermaine goes to the 4.

But as I've been saying all along with Shaq, he must show up in shape.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

It is amazing to hear all the detractors.  So the Cavs with Lebron and Shaq on the court were +3 versus Lebron without Shaq on the court was +15.  How many games did the Cavs win last season?  61 or so.  The bottom line is wins and losses.  I would bet we could find a similar stat with one of the big 4 with Perk on and off the floor.  So what?  When you win 61 games, seems to be quite an irrelevant stat to conjure up.

And Shaq was quite effective against us in the playoffs.  They did not seem to lose because of him.  Maybe Lebron quitting and Jamison getting torched was more of a factor.  But to suggest Shaq was not a solid player for Cleve last season is just ridiculous.

Now for the Celtics, we pick him up for $1.4 million.  Oh, were we supposed to sign Kwame for that amount?  We pick up a guy, who at 60% of himself of 4 years ago, is better than half the centers in the NBA.  Shaq scores, passes out of the post, rebounds and plays defense.

Imagine how many more fast breaks Rondo could run with us getting more rebounds.  Although the Celtics WANT to fast break, we ARE A HALF COURT TEAM.  With Shaq, he gives us a presence in the middle and teams will have to account for him where they did not with Perk.

Come on folks, this is a HUGE pick up for the Celtics.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jchan58. Show jchan58's posts

You should be a GM!  I love how there are alwasy those who are quick to judge but can't really come up with feasible solutions themselves.  All of a sudden everyone is a Shaq fan?  How about all of a sudden he plays for the Celtics whom we all root for.  You make no sense man.  At $1.4MM, do you have any idea what a steal we just got.  What player at the rate, could we get to fill his shoes.  Also keep in mind, he is a bench player which usually means he will be on the bench at the end of the game.  Assuming he is in, Perk, when he gets back is really not thta great of an upgrade nor great free throw shooter.  We came within possibly 3 rebounds away from hanging banner #18.  Ainge is a genious!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

Celtics is a top notch organization in every sense of the word. What makes anyone think that this will not work?? from the best trainer all the way to the GM and above, the C's right now are at the point that can make ANYTHING work with ANY player. Cavs biggest mistake was to overplay shaq. That will just not happen in Boston. This signing just puts the C's very well above Miami big F time. This was just another great move by Ainge and the C's. And let me tell you, I have never been a fan of Shaqs game but I am 100% sure C's organization know how to put pieces together and make them work and this wont be an exception. Before this signing I was worried, now I am not. C's are back in the Finals, period.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

It is amazing to read all the negative comments about the Celtics getting Shaq.  This was a great pickup!

The Celtics are not looking for him to be a dominant player.  He played well against the celtics in the playoffs averaging 13.5 points and 5 rebound per contest and he also shot 23-35 from the line.

Outside of Dwight howard shaq is still the best low post scoring center in the NBA becasue he is bigger and stronger even at 38 than everybody else.  Shaq will have a great PG getting him the ball where he likes it and he is just gonna punish people in the post. 

Being able to add JON and Shaq as complimentary players is unheard of.  DA got the insurance that he needed in case perk's injury is slow to heal.  Either JOn or Shaq are upgrades over Perk on the offensive end and therefore it opens the floor up more because teams will need to pack it in and expose the perimeter.

We saw how this worked when Sheed would play in the post.  Well Shaq and JON will not be launching 3 pointers.  They know where their bread and butter comes from.

Given what the team needed and given what was available to them this move can only be viewed as positive.  There is simply no downside.

dboss

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]It is amazing to read all the negative comments about the Celtics getting Shaq.  This was a great pickup! The Celtics are not looking for him to be a dominant player.  He played well against the celtics in the playoffs averaging 13.5 points and 5 rebound per contest and he also shot 23-35 from the line. Outside of Dwight howard shaq is still the best low post scoring center in the NBA becasue he is bigger and stronger even at 38 than everybody else.  Shaq will have a great PG getting him the ball where he likes it and he is just gonna punish people in the post.  Being able to add JON and Shaq as complimentary players is unheard of.  DA got the insurance that he needed in case perk's injury is slow to heal.  Either JOn or Shaq are upgrades over Perk on the offensive end and therefore it opens the floor up more because teams will need to pack it in and expose the perimeter. We saw how this worked when Sheed would play in the post.  Well Shaq and JON will not be launching 3 pointers.  They know where their bread and butter comes from. Given what the team needed and given what was available to them this move can only be viewed as positive.  There is simply no downside. dboss
    Posted by dboss[/QUOTE]

good stuff..add to that the fact that just with practice, he will be making big baby, erden and the others much better.

Sections
Shortcuts