Why Smart was a smart decision

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Why Smart was a smart decision

Many including the Celtics have taken chances on "athletic" players hoping that their game will develop. And they never do. I think Wiggins, like Gerald Green, may never reach his potential.  He many never develop court smarts, game savvy and consistency. David Thompson anyone? 

Parker is soft. His defense is lackluster.  He may never find the intensity and physical dedication to reach his potential.     

Embiid may be injury prone and destined to a short disappointing career.

Speaking of Gerald Green, Exum could be a complete immature bust.  His ability to defend is virtually unknown.

Gordon can't shoot and may never develop a shot (40% at the line is astoundingly bad for even a CYO player!)  I've seen enough of Rondo to require at least adequate shooting skills from my players.

Of the top 10 picks in the draft, Smart may have the most productive NBA career. He is an intense strong consistent athletic leader who can excel on both sides of the court.  Questions about his shooting inconsistency are exaggerated. I trust Danny on evaluating shooting talent and his high opinion of Smarts ability to score from the outside (or inside).  He was often double teamed.  More important, he is the only proven talent of all the picks above. I'm very happy with this pick.  Smart will be an entertaining high-energy star and foundation for the Celtics for years to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Re: Why Smart was a smart decision

His jersey will read "Smaht".

Cue Tommy "I love ...Mahcus ...Smaaaaaaht!!!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Many including the Celtics have taken chances on "athletic" players hoping that their game will develop. And they never do. I think Wiggins, like Gerald Green, may never reach his potential.  He many never develop court smarts, game savvy and consistency. David Thompson anyone? 

Parker is soft. His defense is lackluster.  He may never find the intensity and physical dedication to reach his potential.     

Speaking of Gerald Green, Exum could be a complete immature bust.  His ability to defend is virtually unknown.

Gordon can't shoot and may never develop a shot (40% at the line is astoundingly bad for even a CYO player!)  I've seen enough of Rondo to require at least adequate shooting skills from my players.

Of the top 10 picks in the draft, Smart may have the most productive NBA career. He is an intense strong consistent athletic leader who can excel on both sides of the court.  Questions about his shooting inconsistency are exaggerated. I trust Danny on evaluating shooting talent and his high opinion of Smarts ability to score from the outside (or inside).  He was often double teamed.  More important, he is the only proven talent of all the picks above. I'm very happy with this pick.  Smart will be an entertaining high-energy star and foundation for the Celtics for years to come.

It was a great pick.  

Smart can't shoot?  He shot 75% from the stripe and hit nearly 30% on threes per game shooting six a game.  

He averaged 3 steals a game!?

Smart was smart.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Free throw shooting is a good indication of raw shooting ability.  75% is decent and not bad.  Rondo was in the 50+% out of college and has improved a bit since but never manage to get above 65%.  Can we first see what the kid can do?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

This guy might prove more in his first year than Wiggins!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was a great pick.  

Smart can't shoot?  He shot 75% from the stripe and hit nearly 30% on threes per game shooting six a game.  

Smart was smart.

[/QUOTE]

That means he can't shoot.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was a great pick.  

Smart was smart.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Most of these college kids that can shoot in college, dont do much in NBA..and then you get the ones that are average shooters in college and get better in the NBA..I rather have the second!! Where is Fredette now??

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If that's what you think, you should consider watching tennis instead.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

You have a point there.

I like Smart as a player, and he will have a long career in the NBA. I just don't see him as being a star. He was described as having an Andre Miller skill set by someone, I can't remember who.

And that is what I think we are going to get. An Andre Miller type. good player, but no big deal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

[QUOTE]

You have a point there.

I like Smart as a player, and he will have a long career in the NBA. I just don't see him as being a star. He was described as having an Andre Miller skill set by someone, I can't remember who.

And that is what I think we are going to get. An Andre Miller type. good player, but no big deal.

[/QUOTE]

Well to whoever said that, Andre Miller actually could have been more than what he was! ...sometimes is up to the player not to the analyst!  Smart though, is very different from Miller. Smart is a fighter and usually those guys do well..A star? who knows, only time will tell..I believe he can be.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from anguskahn. Show anguskahn's posts

[QUOTE]

You have a point there.

[/QUOTE]

It's unusual to get a star at 6.  Getting a pg as good as miller is a good get.  We still need a star, that's true, but smart was the best available with our pick.  We need some lottery luck next year or to get a star free agent next year.  2014/2015 is a rebuilding year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

by the way look at the perfect example, Jeff Green. Perfect height, NBA body good skills..he could be much more than what he is..and he has been a disappointment.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

by the way look at the perfect example, Jeff Green. Perfect height, NBA body good skills..he could be much more than what he is..and he has been a disappointment.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I was mad yesterday because I wanted Gordon...and I took it out on Smart. I will wait and give him his due.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

You have a point there.

[/QUOTE]

By who? A random fan who didn't like the pick?

Marcus Smart attacks the rim like a Westbrook or a Wade. He is a beast inside and can rebound.

His shooting woes are overblown. His % is low because he had to carry the team and take bad shots at times. When he's hot, ITS OVER. he takes over the game on both sides of the floor.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Comparing Wiggins to Gerald Green is fair.............but NOT David Thompson......OMG!!!!!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was a great pick.  

Smart was smart.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Larry Bird shot under 30% from 3 point land 4 of his first 5 years in the league. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You have a point there.

[/QUOTE]

By who? A random fan who didn't like the pick?

Marcus Smart attacks the rim like a Westbrook or a Wade. He is a beast inside and can rebound.

His shooting woes are overblown. His % is low because he had to carry the team and take bad shots at times. When he's hot, ITS OVER. he takes over the game on both sides of the floor.

[/QUOTE]

The story that compared him to Miller was in the Globe. http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2014/06/what_you_need_to_know_celtics_guard_marcus_smart.html

Look dude in both this post, and in another where you said my post was "dumb" you are displaying some rather immature tendencies.

I don't think Smart is going to be that good, you do. Are you going to be okay with that? or does it make you mad?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prakash. Show prakash's posts

Smart pick will be a real winner if he becomes a Dwayne Wade level player.  And it will be a bust if he is the next Tyreke Evans.  I like his character.  But he will be a double edged sword.  It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was a great pick.  

Smart was smart.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Larry Bird shot under 30% from 3 point land 4 of his first 5 years in the league. 

[/QUOTE]

I know this is a secret but the three point line  in the NBA is quite a bit farther  then the college three point line.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

The story that compared him to Miller was in the Globe. http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2014/06/what_you_need_to_know_celtics_guard_marcus_smart.html

Look dude in both this post, and in another where you said my post was "dumb" you are displaying some rather immature tendencies.

I don't think Smart is going to be that good, you do. Are you going to be okay with that? or does it make you mad?

Your other thread was dumb, it was quick reaction to a pick you didn't like. You said we tanked for Smart.. what else was Ainge left to do once Gordon was gone? Not much. that's the risk in tanking

I didn't say your last post was dumb, but you aren't even attempting to look at the positive of this pick only the negative.

Smart could be bad and you could be right. He may never end up being a consistent shooter and could be a headcase but he could also develop and turn into something very good.

I just think you are focusing on what a bad pick it is before he's even played a summer game

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Some guys think sarcasm and humor are the same thing.  Some guys on here take great offense when their post is criticized, yet call others "immature" when they are disagreed with.

That being said, I wanted Vonleh........but I'm okay with Smart.  Could be worse - we could have taken "effme" LaVine!!!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

[QUOTE]

Your other thread was dumb, it was quick reaction to a pick you didn't like. You said we tanked for Smart.. what else was Ainge left to do once Gordon was gone? Not much. that's the risk in tanking

I didn't say your last post was dumb, but you aren't even attempting to look at the positive of this pick only the negative.

Smart could be bad and you could be right. He may never end up being a consistent shooter and could be a headcase but he could also develop and turn into something very good.

I just think you are focusing on what a bad pick it is before he's even played a summer game

[/QUOTE]

I actually said above that I think he will have a long NBA career and be a good player, but I don't see him as making any real difference.  I don't think it was a "bad pick" I just had higher hopes for this draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Some guys think sarcasm and humor are the same thing.  Some guys on here take great offense when their post is criticized, yet call others "immature" when they are disagreed with.

That being said, I wanted Vonleh........but I'm okay with Smart.  Could be worse - we could have taken "effme" LaVine!!!

Some guys think people take great offense at things when they don't.  Must be that sarcasm and humor thing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]

I actually said above that I think he will have a long NBA career and be a good player. I don't think it was a "bad pick" I just had higher hopes for this draft.

[/QUOTE]

Well, that may have been the first issue. I talked myself down thinking Ainge will make a splash and got ready to take Gordon at six but once he fell at 4 I knew it was Smart.

What was your dream scenario in this draft?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

What you gonna do with two point guards?  

They said the same thing when Rondo used to harass the opponent. Now,  Rondo just a flashy ball handler, he can't shoot and moody. Smart was good harassing college players to bring up his NBA draft stock. After said and done... it will be the same as Bradley. Bradley & Rondo used to harassed their opponent, but now they are tired of doing their best attribute. They both can't shoot the ball.

Smart will be  in the same trend.....unless we unload Rondo & get Love the TANKING CONTINUE.

Sections
Shortcuts