Why Smart was a smart decision

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sycophant123. Show sycophant123's posts

Re: Why Smart was a smart decision

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I actually said above that I think he will have a long NBA career and be a good player. I don't think it was a "bad pick" I just had higher hopes for this draft.

[/QUOTE]

Well, that may have been the first issue. I talked myself down thinking Ainge will make a splash and got ready to take Gordon at six but once he fell at 4 I knew it was Smart.

What was your dream scenario in this draft?

[/QUOTE]

I wanted Gordon. Which is why I was bummed about Smart. In all honestly, if Gordon hadn't gone to Orlando, I would have been fine with Smart. I think I just need a few days to adjust. Ha.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

..unless we unload Rondo & get Love the TANKING CONTINUE.

[/QUOTE]

Did Love take Min anywhere?? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Kudos, btw to joepatsfan, who called BOTH of our picks last night.

I nailed Young at 17, but would have been unhappy if Nurkic was there and we didn't take him.

I wanted Gordon, like the rest of us.  Great job by ORL to take him.  I'll be okay with Smart!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Kudos, btw to joepatsfan, who called BOTH of our picks last night.

I nailed Young at 17, but would have been unhappy if Nurkic was there and we didn't take him.

I wanted Gordon, like the rest of us.  Great job by ORL to take him.  I'll be okay with Smart!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

Thanks but idk if I  really called the Smart pick. I mean I've always been high on Smart and he was up on my list but my list for each pick was:

#6 - Gordon, Smart, Vonleh

#17 - Young, if he fell, Anderson, Napier, Warren

once Gordon went 4 I knew we were getting smart. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to CHEisCHE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

..unless we unload Rondo & get Love the TANKING CONTINUE.

[/QUOTE]

Did Love take Min anywhere?? 

[/QUOTE]

with smart....not Rondo, Love with the Celtics is much different than Min. Timber are not looking a supporting cast for Love....not a "SMIDGEN" OF HELP FOR LOVE in Minn.

Between the two, I will take Smart than Rondo although I don't know if Smart is a bust or boom......but I know all about Rondo now.

I think Smart much better than Rondo in the future....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Many including the Celtics have taken chances on "athletic" players hoping that their game will develop. And they never do. I think Wiggins, like Gerald Green, may never reach his potential.  He many never develop court smarts, game savvy and consistency. David Thompson anyone? 

Parker is soft. His defense is lackluster.  He may never find the intensity and physical dedication to reach his potential.     

Embiid may be injury prone and destined to a short disappointing career.

Speaking of Gerald Green, Exum could be a complete immature bust.  His ability to defend is virtually unknown.

Gordon can't shoot and may never develop a shot (40% at the line is astoundingly bad for even a CYO player!)  I've seen enough of Rondo to require at least adequate shooting skills from my players.

Of the top 10 picks in the draft, Smart may have the most productive NBA career. He is an intense strong consistent athletic leader who can excel on both sides of the court.  Questions about his shooting inconsistency are exaggerated. I trust Danny on evaluating shooting talent and his high opinion of Smarts ability to score from the outside (or inside).  He was often double teamed.  More important, he is the only proven talent of all the picks above. I'm very happy with this pick.  Smart will be an entertaining high-energy star and foundation for the Celtics for years to come.

[/QUOTE]

I like the pic but you are crazy to compare Wiggy to Gerald Green. Not even close, sorry. Wiggins WILL be a stud. He has lots of talent that Green does not. Outside of crazy hops  I dont see the comparison. Wiggins has an bball IQ, unlike G.G. He can defend unlike G.G., He has a very quick 1st step and loves the game and has a ton of upside. Now if you wanna compare Exxum or say he has bust potential, we agree as he looks soft to me and for a guy who hasnt played yet in the league and has over 10 commercials already, the nba vets will be licking their chops to make his transition even harder than it would have been.

I like Parker as a solid, NBA ready player but he is almost at his ceiling. I compare him to a Caron Butler, Solid tools but will end up a journeyman who could never take it to the elite level.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I like this pick.  He will be a good and (potentially very good) player.  I would be shocked if he isn't a contributor next year and a long term core player. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

This was draft was for long term depth, maybe the second pick will be an all star someday

its going to be the draft pix from the nets that will put them over the top

i like to watch rondo more than any other player in the nba, but why he cannot learn to shoot is beyond me. I was a horrible player, but I could shoot . To me it's the easiest part of the game, it's all technique and practice

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

This was draft was for long term depth, maybe the second pick will be an all star someday

its going to be the draft pix from the nets that will put them over the top

i like to watch rondo more than any other player in the nba, but why he cannot learn to shoot is beyond me. I was a horrible player, but I could shoot . To me it's the easiest part of the game, it's all technique and practice

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

[/QUOTE]

To you is his shooting. For me is how he holds the ball way too long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

I like Smart and the young Young kid, but I am sure Parker is not soft and the other prophecies about all those players will prove to be true or false.  But Smart has a lot to learn and Young has a ton of experience to get , and that is not a prophecy.   I hate playing to train players and at the same time losing many games. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Louisio. Show Louisio's posts

Didn't get to watch a lot of college hoops this winter, but the more footage of Smart I see, the more I like this pick. Embiid wasn't in the cards unless the Cs were able to move up in the draft. I must admit I was kinda hoping Boston would take Randle, but the more I think about it, the more I think they're right and I was wrong.

One thought occurs to me is: I wonder how much of a "block LA" move this was on the part of Boston. Seems to me Randle's ceiling is quite likely a lot lower than Smart's. What's the realistic best case scenario for Randle -- maybe a Zach Randolph type? Now, don't get me wrong -- LA would be thrilled if Randle were one day a player of Randolph's caliber. But I'm not sure that's exactly a transformative talent. But what's Smart's best case ceiling? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but he looks like he has the potential to be a top 2/3 PG (or PG-2guard combo). I strongly suspect Ainge didn't want LA to get anywhere near Marcus Smart.

Anyway, should be fun to watch.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cabutan. Show cabutan's posts

In response to Louisio's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't get to watch a lot of college hoops this winter, but the more footage of Smart I see, the more I like this pick. Embiid wasn't in the cards unless the Cs were able to move up in the draft. I must admit I was kinda hoping Boston would take Randle, but the more I think about it, the more I think they're right and I was wrong.

One thought occurs to me is: I wonder how much of a "block LA" move this was on the part of Boston. Seems to me Randle's ceiling is quite likely a lot lower than Smart's. What's the realistic best case scenario for Randle -- maybe a Zach Randolph type? Now, don't get me wrong -- LA would be thrilled if Randle were one day a player of Randolph's caliber. But I'm not sure that's exactly a transformative talent. But what's Smart's best case ceiling? I don't want to get ahead of myself, but he looks like he has the potential to be a top 2/3 PG (or PG-2guard combo). I strongly suspect Ainge didn't want LA to get anywhere near Marcus Smart.

Anyway, should be fun to watch.

[/QUOTE]

I doubt it was a block for LA...Smart seemed to be a safe/best pick at 6

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

In response to cabutan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sycophant123's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Many including the Celtics have taken chances on "athletic" players hoping that their game will develop. And they never do. I think Wiggins, like Gerald Green, may never reach his potential.  He many never develop court smarts, game savvy and consistency. David Thompson anyone? 

Parker is soft. His defense is lackluster.  He may never find the intensity and physical dedication to reach his potential.     

Speaking of Gerald Green, Exum could be a complete immature bust.  His ability to defend is virtually unknown.

Gordon can't shoot and may never develop a shot (40% at the line is astoundingly bad for even a CYO player!)  I've seen enough of Rondo to require at least adequate shooting skills from my players.

Of the top 10 picks in the draft, Smart may have the most productive NBA career. He is an intense strong consistent athletic leader who can excel on both sides of the court.  Questions about his shooting inconsistency are exaggerated. I trust Danny on evaluating shooting talent and his high opinion of Smarts ability to score from the outside (or inside).  He was often double teamed.  More important, he is the only proven talent of all the picks above. I'm very happy with this pick.  Smart will be an entertaining high-energy star and foundation for the Celtics for years to come.

[/QUOTE]

It was a great pick.  

Smart can't shoot?  He shot 75% from the stripe and hit nearly 30% on threes per game shooting six a game.  

He averaged 3 steals a game!?

Smart was smart.

[/QUOTE]

That means he can't shoot.

[/QUOTE]

Most of these college kids that can shoot in college, dont do much in NBA..and then you get the ones that are average shooters in college and get better in the NBA..I rather have the second!! Where is Fredette now??

[/QUOTE]

Not only Fradette just look at some of celtics draftees or former players who are noted shooter or scorer...Lester Hudson, Marshoon Brooks, Bill Walker.....It does not mean that they are noted scorers or shooters they will be successful player in the NBA. The one that actually became s stud in the NBA are players with determination, skills, leadership ans above all will to learn! Marcus Smart have it all.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bangkoker. Show bangkoker's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to bangkoker's comment:

[QUOTE]

Not only Fradette just look at some of celtics draftees or former players who are noted shooter or scorer...Lester Hudson, Marshoon Brooks, Bill Walker.....It does not mean that they are noted scorers or shooters they will be successful player in the NBA. The one that actually became s stud in the NBA are players with determination, skills, leadership ans above all will to learn! Marcus Smart have it all.

[/QUOTE]

True.

Sullinger is also another example of that.

[/QUOTE]

Fierce, 95% I think the fire is being lit up the Celtics future is bright because of it, soon is the fireworks with explosion! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It was a great pick.  

Smart can't shoot?  He shot 75% from the stripe and hit nearly 30% on threes per game shooting six a game.  

He averaged 3 steals a game!?

Smart was smart.

[/QUOTE]

29.9% on 3s is not good. I think a lot of that had to do with poor shot selection. That said, Smart ranked #1 in Projected WARP. I'm happy with the pick. Their #17, not so much.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fbombfury. Show fbombfury's posts

Of all the stupid things I've heard over the last few days, the Celtics took Smart to block the Lakers from getting him?  LMAO!  The big reason why the Celtics did not take Randle is he would not come for a workout.  Enjoy!

Sections
Shortcuts