Why the C's aren't the same without Perkins

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

Why the C's aren't the same without Perkins

-Some interesting comments from former Celtic Leon Powe to the 
    Boston Herald about the traded Kendrick Perkins: “I thought he 
    was here for good,” Powe said. “He was a big piece of that 
    championship team. He was a reason they were a contender. 
    It changes your defense completely. You still have (Kevin Garnett), 
    but (Perkins) was your enforcer down there, and he really takes a 
    lot of pressure off KG down there. Everybody says it’s KG’s team, 
    but Perk was down there doing all of the dirty work, and you need 
    a guy like that.” That’s as close to saying the unspoken, which we 
    haven’t heard in Boston since the surprising trade.

-The players’ feeling seemed to be they would get the chance to ride 
    it out for at least one more title run, and Rivers had said all 
    season he looked toward Perkins’ return because that starting five 
    had never lost a playoff series. What’s been interesting is what 
    you hear from players against Boston these days. They say Garnett, 
    a noted trash talker, has been exceptionally quiet. The feeling has 
    been he has no one like Perkins to back him up. Now Nenad Krstic, 
    instead. And it’s not like Garnett is a tough guy. He’s a guy who 
    likes a tough guy behind him, sort of the bully but only in a gang. 
    It reminds me of when the Timberwolves traded Dean Garrett and 
    Garnett was inconsolable, literally sobbing in the locker room, 
    as Garrett was the guy who had to guard the tougher big man, 
    the blue collar guy who had Garnett’s back.

Interesting points of view.
    Is there enough time to adjust before our window closes?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

Re: Why the C's aren't the same without Perkins

Interesting post and comments but defense has not been the issue since Perk's departure and they played quite well without him before he was traded.  I do agree about the toughness issue but not sure that translates into better team defense.  I do think though that KG has to work harder on D and it is wearing him out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fantom. Show fantom's posts

Looking through the stats of the last 3 or more games, the Celts have not blocked a single shot---interestng?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cshashaty. Show cshashaty's posts

Perk has nothing to do with this. Nothing at all.

My big fear#1: the Big 3 are out of gas. Their legs are shot, which is why the shots aren't falling. Reason? AGE. They cannot get through a full season anymore.

My big fear #2: Something is wrong with Rondo. I think it is more mental than physical, but this isn't the guy we saw last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

It isn't about defense, it's about chemistry. 
    Before the trade they looked like a team with vengeance on their mind, 
    a nasty bunch (like the Pistons late 80's early 90's). After the trade the team looks confused, uncertain.
    Nobody needs to convince me Perk was a limited player but he knew his role, he was a big influence in the locker room and they had gone to war together. They trusted each other. You can't capture that in stats.
    I Love Green, he's a dream coming off the bench and it will make the transition after the big 3 easier. I fully comprehend Danny's move. Without the trade we'd only have leftovers to replace Ray and Paul. 
    But I do feel our chances to bring home banner 18 have diminished.
    This case shows a GM sometimes has to chose between scylla and charybdis.
    I wouldn't want Danny's job. Fans can shout opinions all day long but it's harder when you're accountable. He gambled and it's too soon to say he lost, but we certainly lost our swagger and the clock is ticking fast...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

JO and Shack , Kristic, will more than make up for scoring, and toughness needed in the playoffs..again the playoffss., playoffs....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The C's aren't the same without Perkins, but they would've been more than OK if Shaq and JO were available for a significant amount of games this season.  Danny took a calculated gamble and he may look awfully silly if Shaq and JO are no-shows come playoff time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from santafesino. Show santafesino's posts

since perkins's trade, ubuntu is over. Krstic is a could chest. C's seems a FIBA team: no rebound, no block, no dunk. We need 2 PF and 2 C. BBD, Krstic, JON, KG, Shaq... Good Bye

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

It's hard for your assertion to be true regarding Perkins the player because this season he barely played before he was traded. Now, it does appear that mentally they are down since the trade, and that certainly effects them physically as well; so the trade did seem to have an effect on the morale of the starters, most notably the youngest (and least mature) Rajon Rondo. Hopefully if both O'Neals come back and create a presence in the paint, KG will pick up his defensive game (as noted, he does need a big next to him, so what; the original Celtic's "Big 3" literally had 3 of them). Ray and Paul will come through; tired as schmidt, but they'll show up. The key is Rondo, will he shake his funk, his ego, his pride, his stubborness, his fill in the blank, and be professional. Rondo is dinged, but he still is the best point guard on this team, still has an incredible comptitive streak (as does Delonte), and will be needed to win games in the playoffs.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from srinivasa. Show srinivasa's posts

I know fatigue has something to do with it too especially with the big 4 but many here feel it goes without saying they'll turn it on again for the playoffs.
    First I think such a run like last year is rather the exception than the rule but above all last year everybody had counted the C's out, some even in the first round. Within that tight-knit unit (with Perk) there was a feeling of 'we against the world'. This time around things are different, the ubuntu seems vanished. That's why Doc seems so frustrated.
    And other teams will be looking for the eastern champ's scalp.
    All those things in consideration I feel a run like last year is improbable. I hope I'm wrong. And I hope the O'Neals contribute. But that's a lot of hope...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

i would say the big 3 need rest....Rondo needs time off, and we will be fine....Perk didnt play early in the year when we were at our best...so lets stop with that....if anything it makes Doc's job harder, cuz he has to coach up Kristic on the little nuances of our defense, and you know what you have in Perk....that being said...I doubt Perk could have played at a high level throughout the playoffs....People forget he was getting his shot blocked left and right and after injuring his other knee...they felt the time was right...IMO

Our chemistry was shyt last year right b4 the playoffs started...and we flipped the switch...so I think Chemistry is overated, but if the guys are truly upset over losing Perk( the friend) then we DO have issues...but besides setting better picks than Kristic, I just dont see what we are missing w/out Perk.  I mean, was he that intidimating with his little chipmunk skoul???  Any big man that can get K.G.'s bakc is needed right now....last I check Shaq is as big as they come...so unless someone wants to sell me on Perk being better than Shaq, I have to go with Dannys plan..and believe we will have Shaq at some point...and each night he doesnt suit up now...give us more games in the playoffs with his services...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zeitgeist49. Show zeitgeist49's posts

The  Celts  slide  since  the  trade  is  primarily  attributable  to  2  factors : 1)  Rondo's  highly  erratic  play  and  2)  the  big  3  being  physically  and  mentally  tired, after  carrying  a  team  all  year  with  multiple, significant  injuries.  As  stated  in  numerous  posts, the  slide  has  nothing  to  do  with  losing  Perkins.  The  Celts  will  be  competitive  in  the  playoffs  if  : 1)  the  O'Neals  contribute  consistently; 2)  the  big  3  gets  some  rest  and  regains  their  earlier  form; 3)  Rondo  snaps  out  of  his  funk  and  plays  like  he  did  in  the  beginning  of  the  season.  The  biggest  IF  is  Rondo's  play.  He's  dinged  up  right  now, but  I  think  his  biggest  problems  are  psychological.  It  was  obvious  2  weeks  ago, that  the  Celts  would  be  the  # 3  seed.  With  2  weeks  remaining, Doc  needs  to  start  giving  KG, PP  and  Ray  some  rest. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

In Response to Re: Why the C's aren't the same without Perkins:
    [QUOTE]JO and Shack , Kristic, will more than make up for scoring, and toughness needed in the playoffs..again the playoffss., playoffs....
    Posted by Ortiz123[/QUOTE]

and when is Shaq and JO planning on returning?  Frankly I am sick about talking about them. Each week it gets pushed back another week.  The weeks are running out.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

[QUOTE]The  Celts  slide  since  the  trade  is  primarily  attributable  to  2  factors : 1)  Rondo's  highly  erratic  play  and  2)  the  big  3  being  physically  and  mentally  tired, after  carrying  a  team  all  year  with  multiple, significant  injuries.  As  stated  in  numerous  posts, the  slide  has  nothing  to  do  with  losing  Perkins.  The  Celts  will  be  competitive  in  the  playoffs  if  : 1)  the  O'Neals  contribute  consistently; 2)  the  big  3  gets  some  rest  and  regains  their  earlier  form; 3)  Rondo  snaps  out  of  his  funk  and  plays  like  he  did  in  the  beginning  of  the  season.  The  biggest  IF  is  Rondo's  play.  He's  dinged  up  right  now, but  I  think  his  biggest  problems  are  psychological.  It  was  obvious  2  weeks  ago, that  the  Celts  would  be  the  # 3  seed.  With  2  weeks  remaining, Doc  needs  to  start  giving  KG, PP  and  Ray  some  rest. 
    Posted by zeitgeist49[/QUOTE]

As soon as we are guaranteed of the 3rd seed we should rest those guys the rest of the season.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

[QUOTE]Perk has nothing to do with this. Nothing at all. My big fear#1: the Big 3 are out of gas. Their legs are shot, which is why the shots aren't falling. Reason? AGE. They cannot get through a full season anymore. My big fear #2: Something is wrong with Rondo. I think it is more mental than physical, but this isn't the guy we saw last year.
    Posted by cshashaty[/QUOTE]

Great post.  The only other point to consider is if the Cs are intentionally taking the foot off the gas to save themselves for the playoffs.  I do not think this is the case but it cannot be absolutely dismissed (see last year).

Sections
Shortcuts