Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers

In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers:
    [QUOTE]I think we can all agree that Perk is going to be a factor in a series against the Lakers. The question is whether or not it is enough for OKC to get past them. I think the Finals last year was a bad comparison in terms of the impact that Perk had or didn't have simply because of KG's health. I for one am not convinced that the Celtics would have won Game 7 had Perkins played. The real issue IMO was KG being unable to guard Gasol due to his knee. I think there is real doubt as to the outcome of an OKC-LAL series now. The Perkins trade was something the Lakers did not want to happen. So from that perspective, Perkins is still a Celtic.
    Posted by cshashaty[/QUOTE]

KG's knee was big, although in fariness bynum's knee was big as well. Still if perk is in that game and Kg is the same and Bynum is the same perk stops a few offensive rebounds. Given the margin of victory that could have been huge.  

It also, means we could have finished the game with Rasheed Wallace instead of baby. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I must be in The Land OZ cause this thread reads like a fairy tale.

First, nobody is arguing as to whether Perk could have limited some of the dominance the Laker bigs had in game 7. Why is this constantly offered up as some sort of evidence?

The question... is Perk whats needed for OKC to neutralize or control the Lakers up front. The answer is NO!

Perk got handled in the finals...period. Bynum was a force, so was gasol... Sure, KG being hurt didnt help but PERK did not take the play from the Lakers.... it was the other way around...clearly..

Rasheed was a great improvement over Perk cause he could challenge shots and played very well defensively.. short memories?? 

Perk would have prob helped defensively in game 7 but also gives up plently offensively..so I dont say his absence cost us the series..

Perk was a contributor, as was Nate, BBD and the rest. He wasnt a bigtime presence at all.. He wasnt a force and factor like Gasol and Bynum were. Those two (and the refs) won the title for the Lakers... and if you think Perk could neutralize them in game 7, you need to review games 1-6 and come to your senses

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]I must be in The Land OZ cause this thread reads like a fairy tale. First, nobody is arguing as to whether Perk could have limited some of the dominance the Laker bigs had in game 7. Why is this constantly offered up as some sort of evidence? The question... is Perk whats needed for OKC to neutralize or control the Lakers up front. The answer is NO ! Perk got handled in the finals...period. Bynum was a force, so was gasol... Sure, KG being hurt didnt help but PERK did not take the play from the Lakers.... it was the other way around...clearly.. Rasheed was a great improvement over Perk cause he could challenge shots and played very well defensively.. short memories??  Perk would have prob helped defensively in game 7 but also gives up plently offensively..so I dont say his absence cost us the series.. Perk was a contributor, as was Nate, BBD and the rest. He wasnt a bigtime presence at all.. He wasnt a force and factor like Gasol and Bynum were. Those two (and the refs) won the title for the Lakers... and if you think Perk could neutralize them in game 7, you need to review games 1-6 and come to your senses
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

is Perk the answer for Oklahoma against the Lakers? The thunder went 19-4 once they got perk, including beating L.A. handily in LA!

Why? because Perk is a huge defensive upgrade over Nenad krystic for the Thunder. Go watch games 1-6 of the finals and then go watch games 1-6 of the Thunder Laker series and you will see. This is a team that was one putback away from taking the lakers to a game 7 with Jeff Green guarding, Pau Gasol and NENDAD KRYSTIC Guarding bynum. 

You seriously don't think Perk, the games third highest rated defensive Center and a man who averages double the rebounds Krystic does, is not going to help this consideribly? He already has. The Thunder hadn't won in LA in forever. The thunder already had huge matchup advantages in in certain areas, but no zsize. now they have size now they have a chance. 

I'm not saying the thunder are going to beat the Lake show. I saying they are much more likely to do it now then they were before the trade. 

As for Rasheed he played a good game 7, but he was too out of shape to complete it. If we had had Perkins he would have stopped some of the reounds early that kept the game close.  Also, Perk, would have kept Rasheed fresh to close out the game. instead we had to put BIG BABY in the game and lost a lot of size. AND REBOUNDING. which killed us. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CASox. Show CASox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Seriously, try to understand a few basics. First is Gasol is the Lakers PF and Perk is a Center.  Also, Gasol grabbed 5 more boards in game 7 than game 6...and game 7 was in OT. Kobes rebounding is a function of Perk too? LOL Take a look at Gasols season averages for boards and compare to the Celtic Series.  Now back to reality, Perks primary responsibility was an injured Bynum/ Eh, ya know what, I can see this is going absolutely nowhere. Bringing up facts just clouds the issue for you. Instead you resort to pointing out how a Laker guard got alot of boards as your answer. Bottom line is Perk was not effective against the Lakers...they won the matchup hands down. Perk was not the "solution" to the Lakers bigs. No matter how true this statement may be, you will never see it... so why bother
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Im absolutely with Karllost on this one too. His assessment is right on.  Did Perk bring some toughness? Yes but he was very limited in a lot of areas.  And the comment who is going to guard superman? well, Perk couldnt guard him so whats the point?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers :is Perk the answer for Oklahoma against the Lakers? The thunder went 19-4 once they got perk, including beating L.A. handily in LA! 
    Posted by jtkl

Not to let facts get in the way of this debate, but the Thunder with Perk did not "win handily." The game went back and forth until the last couple minutes of the game when intentional fouls created the final score point differential.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Not to let facts get in the way of this debate, but the Thunder with Perk did not "win handily." The game went back and forth until the last couple minutes of the game when intentional fouls created the final score point differential.
    Posted by FlobusMcNugget[/QUOTE]

The facts: Thunder 120 the Lakers 106. 

That is handily. Although the Lakers did keep it close until the end when the Thunder pulled away. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : The facts: Thunder 120 the Lakers 106.  That is handily. Although the Lakers did keep it close until the end when the Thunder pulled away. 
    Posted by jtkl[/QUOTE]
    They made their intentional free throws handily. I'll give you that. Otherwise it was a pretty even match.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : They made their intentional free throws handily. I'll give you that. Otherwise it was a pretty even match.

They won by 14.  How many free throws are you saying they shot off intentional fouls? 

Also they outscored the Lakers 32-16 in the 4th quarter.  That sure is a lot of intentional fouling. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

It was a two point game with two minutes left in the game. Does that sound like the Thunder won "handily"? 

I'm done playing semantics with you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]It was a two point game with two minutes left in the game. Does that sound like the Thunder won "handily"?  I'm done playing semantics with you.

Good. Run along to a laker board. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FlobusMcNugget. Show FlobusMcNugget's posts

In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Good. Run along to a laker board. 
    Posted by jtkl

I've been here far longer than you, friend. With over twice as many posts. I think I'm doing just fine on this board. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from isACGreen. Show isACGreen's posts

Although we lost the last game to the Thunder, it was a lot closer than the score indicated.  It certainly was not "handily."  And NO WAY can OKC win a Game 7 in the Staples Center.  Let's face it, yuou are all scared of the mighty LAKERS

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsalas67m. Show rsalas67m's posts

Perkins was an upgrade over Krstic. And that was a trade made out of desperation by Ainge rather than logic. It has tremendously hurt the Celtics in terms of team chemistry, momentum, and confidence. These intangibles are just as important as talent level. You don't breakup a team that has just competed for title

Yes, and I do admire both Durant and Westbrook with a very athletic team. And Perk's presence has helped Ibaka play his natural position.

But aren' posters getting way ahead of themselves? First the Lakers have to get through New Orleans, and either Dallas or Portland before they might meet Oklahoma. And Oklahoma has to get through Denver and the possibly the Spurs. There's too much basketball left to contemplate whether L.A. and Oklahoma will met in the Western finals.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Im absolutely with Karllost on this one too. His assessment is right on.  Did Perk bring some toughness? Yes but he was very limited in a lot of areas.  And the comment who is going to guard superman? well, Perk couldnt guard him so whats the point?
    Posted by CASox[/QUOTE]

Its quite obvious he brought toughness. The Lakers can not depend on Bynum to abuse the Thunder big men anymore. Perk brings the east coast tough man defense to the Thunder. Enough said!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

[QUOTE]Although we lost the last game to the Thunder, it was a lot closer than the score indicated.  It certainly was not "handily."  And NO WAY can OKC win a Game 7 in the Staples Center.  Let's face it, yuou are all scared of the mighty LAKERS
    Posted by isACGreen[/QUOTE]

Well said hedley, well said. Hows that #17 Laker dvd going? Rather than send it to me can you name a store I can buy it from? Lmao

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticFanLA. Show CelticFanLA's posts

[QUOTE]Although we lost the last game to the Thunder, it was a lot closer than the score indicated.  It certainly was not "handily."  And NO WAY can OKC win a Game 7 in the Staples Center.  Let's face it, yuou are all scared of the mighty LAKERS
    Posted by isACGreen[/QUOTE]

Look its NOSTRADUMBUS!!! LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtkl. Show jtkl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why the Perkins trade may ultimately kill the L.A. Lakers : Well said hedley, well said. Hows that #17 Laker dvd going? Rather than send it to me can you name a store I can buy it from? Lmao
    Posted by Laker-Nation32[/QUOTE]

Sadly, there won't be one for years. 

Sections
Shortcuts