Why would Ray?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

Why would Ray?

Don't understand why Ray can't accept the sixth man role.  Many great C's have been there done that.  Some of the comments I have read makes me believe he doesn't like it at all. Doc says it doesn't matter to players..  He is obviously wrong IMO.  This could prolong RA's career and he could still average 14 pts a game and probably get more shots than he has got since he came to Boston. His comment about as long as the offense is better bothered me.  Hate to say it but I think I read our offense has been better with him off the bench, and probably the bench has been better.  Sounds like a no brainer to me.  Seems like Ray may have lost a little of that class we have alway talked about with hiim.  Sure would like to keep him around in the Hondo tradition.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyCelt2. Show KyCelt2's posts

Re: Why would Ray?

In Response to Why would Ray?:
    [QUOTE]Don't understand why Ray can't accept the sixth man role.  Many great C's have been there done that.  Some of the comments I have read makes me believe he doesn't like it at all. Doc says it doesn't matter to players..  He is obviously wrong IMO.  This could prolong RA's career and he could still average 14 pts a game and probably get more shots than he has got since he came to Boston. His comment about as long as the offense is better bothered me.  Hate to say it but I think I read our offense has been better with him off the bench, and probably the bench has been better.  Sounds like a no brainer to me.  Seems like Ray may have lost a little of that class we have alway talked about with hiim.  Sure would like to keep him around in the Hondo tradition.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Sure you would!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

In Response to Re: Why would Ray?:
    [QUOTE]As my father used to say, "Age is a terrible thing."  Yes, he still has class, but it's tough to admit you're not the player you once were.  Hondo started as 6th man, so it's a little different.  A better analogy might be Reggie Miller - who played an additional 3 or 4 years as a 6th man.  Ray is just in denial right now, but I think he will come to accept it.
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

Reggie Miller was NEVER a 6th man.
    In his last 16 years of his career, he started every one of the games he played in.

Don't let the facts get in the way of your argument...sheesh... 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why would Ray? : Reggie Miller was NEVER a 6th man. In his last 16 years of his career, he started every one of the games he played in. Don't let the facts get in the way of your argument...sheesh... 
    Posted by Mark from Ct[/QUOTE]

Actually he was the 6th man in his rookie season. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Why would Ray?:
    [QUOTE]Don't understand why Ray can't accept the sixth man role.  Many great C's have been there done that.  Some of the comments I have read makes me believe he doesn't like it at all. Doc says it doesn't matter to players..  He is obviously wrong IMO.  This could prolong RA's career and he could still average 14 pts a game and probably get more shots than he has got since he came to Boston. His comment about as long as the offense is better bothered me.  Hate to say it but I think I read our offense has been better with him off the bench, and probably the bench has been better.  Sounds like a no brainer to me.  Seems like Ray may have lost a little of that class we have alway talked about with hiim.  Sure would like to keep him around in the Hondo tradition.
    Posted by OneOnOne[/QUOTE]

Man, what are YOU talking about?   Ray has lost NONE of his class and is the consumate professional.  He's more classy than all the Ray bashers on this board.  The guy goes to Doc and actually says "let me take the pressure off you.....I'll not start if its good for the team", but he has lost some of his class?

what are you guys smoking?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why would Ray? : Actually he was the 6th man in his rookie season. 
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

No, he wasn't the 6th man as a rookie.
    16 years in a row Miller staerted every game he played in.

How can a person pretend to know basketball when one only watches the team he roots for and their opponent? No surprising he was wrong again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuPirate. Show PuPirate's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why would Ray? : No, he wasn't the 6th man as a rookie. 16 years in a row Miller staerted every game he played in. How can a person pretend to know basketball when one only watches the team he roots for and their opponent? No surprising he was wrong again.

Look whose talking :'D  smh

"...Miller was selected by the Pacers with the 11th pick in the 1st round of the 1987 NBA Draft. Fans were initially upset that the Pacers chose Miller over Indiana University product and New Castle, Indiana native Steve Alford; fans watching the 1987 NBA Draft booed Pacers President Donnie Walsh for the selection. Miller wore jersey number 31 while playing on the Pacers, backing up shooting guard John Long before he became a starter."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Miller#NBA_career

But Yes I agree it happen much earlier on for Reggie vs Ray. In fact when Reggie was asked by DA to become a 6th man for last years team Reggie declined. ...And NO its not because Reggie had the class to retire a "lifelong" Pacer (In my Hine Ward voice with Tears). It was because he did not want to take the ROLE. That being said come off the bench Ray. Kevin will have a chance to demonstarte his "class" next year when DA brings in some FA that clearly desreves to start #EGO

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from basketbert. Show basketbert's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why would Ray? : Man, what are YOU talking about?   Ray has lost NONE of his class and is the consumate professional.  He's more classy than all the Ray bashers on this board.  The guy goes to Doc and actually says "let me take the pressure off you.....I'll not start if its good for the team", but he has lost some of his class? what are you guys smoking?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]
    Agree. I have no clue what these posts are about. Not about the Ray Allen of the C's, that's for sure. Right?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

I never said this: "every game in his 16 year career."
    I said this: "16 years in a row Miller started every game he played in."

The last 16 years of Reggie's career, he started every game.
    He played 18 seasons.

Re-read my original post and you will see that you are wrong AGAIN.
    BOOM.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why would Ray? : Again - I already admitted that...and again it was two other posters that you have a problem with..........just curious as to why you don't take them on!!!
    Posted by Red-16Russ-11[/QUOTE]

They know I am right, so they stopped posting about it.

They don't try to prove me wrong by making up things that I didn't say like you do.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mark from Ct. Show Mark from Ct's posts

So, Red deletes all of his posts in this thread.
    He runs away with his tail between his legs again...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuPirate. Show PuPirate's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why would Ray? : Look whose talking :'D  smh "...Miller was selected by the Pacers with the 11th pick in the 1st round of the 1987 NBA Draft . Fans were initially upset that the Pacers chose Miller over Indiana University product and New Castle, Indiana native Steve Alford ; fans watching the 1987 NBA Draft booed Pacers President Donnie Walsh for the selection. Miller wore jersey number 31 while playing on the Pacers, backing up shooting guard John Long before he became a starter ." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Miller#NBA_career But Yes I agree it happen much earlier on for Reggie vs Ray. In fact when Reggie was asked by DA to become a 6th man for last years team Reggie declined. ...And NO its not because Reggie had the class to retire a "lifelong" Pacer (In my Hine Ward voice with Tears). It was because he did not want to take the ROLE. That being said come off the bench Ray. Kevin will have a chance to demonstarte his "class" next year when DA brings in some FA that clearly desreves to start #EGO
    Posted by PuPirate[/QUOTE]

Mark you were correct. "last" versus "entire". no buts. Hey where Red Go???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why would Ray? : Agree. I have no clue what these posts are about. Not about the Ray Allen of the C's, that's for sure. Right?
    Posted by basketbert[/QUOTE]

Maybe there's another Ray Allen they are discussing regarding a lost of class. Ray remains a model of "a class act".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

Thread starter is perhaps referring to this article in which RA is apparently unhappy coming off the bench.

He seems far from embracing the 6th man role.

Pud

http://www.hoopsworld.com/allen-wants-to-compete-for-starting-job

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from great-1957. Show great-1957's posts

Kudos to the posters here, very entertaining exchange of arguments. Nice undercard to the main event later. I just hope that the game will be as entertaining for us, Celtics fans.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]I never said this: "every game in his 16 year career." I said this: "16 years in a row Miller started every game he played in." The last 16 years of Reggie's career, he started every game. He played 18 seasons. Re-read my original post and you will see that you are wrong AGAIN. BOOM.

Relax.  You're arguing about semantics.  It isn't a big deal.  Obviously nothing to get in a fight over.  to me a guy who plays 23 minutes a game off the bench is a 6th man.  But yeah in looking at it he had the 7th most minutes on that team not 6th.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from great-1957. Show great-1957's posts

In response to "Re: Why would Ray?": [QUOTE]Thread starter is perhaps referring to this article in which RA is apparently unhappy coming off the bench. He seems far from embracing the 6th man role. Pud http://www.hoopsworld.com/allen-wants-to-compete-for-starting-job Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE] Far from embracing the 6th man role? Understandable and rightfully so. This is Ray Allen we're talking about. The consummate professional, future HOF, takes care of his body like no other. Like many posters here, I agree with the Avery Bradley's insertion to the starting line-up and relegation of Allen as a 6th man. But to criticize him for speaking his heart out and wanting to compete for a starting job every opportunity he gets is UNNECESSARY. Ray Allen deserves respect, as warranted by his game, contributions, and professionalism

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

[QUOTE]Thread starter is perhaps referring to this article in which RA is apparently unhappy coming off the bench. He seems far from embracing the 6th man role. Pud http://www.hoopsworld.com/allen-wants-to-compete-for-starting-job
    Posted by puddinpuddin[/QUOTE]

which in no way makes it sound like RA is ticked off at coming off the bench. he's simply commenting on the fact that his desire as a player is to always compete at a high level for a starting spot...and if he no longer has that desire, then it's time for him to hang it up...no more, no less.

i personally like RA coming off the bench. AB is the defender we need in the game to handle the likes of DWade. and he is proving that he can score as well. this isn't to say that RA won't log consistent minutes with the first unit at times during the playoffs; my bet is that he will.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kobedaman. Show kobedaman's posts

[QUOTE]So, Red deletes all of his posts in this thread. He runs away with his tail between his legs again...

Yep, that's how Red rolls and will be back after the coast is clear.  lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Thread starter is perhaps referring to this article in which RA is apparently unhappy coming off the bench. He seems far from embracing the 6th man role. Pud http://www.hoopsworld.com/allen-wants-to-compete-for-starting-job

"Shortly before coming off the bench for the third game in a row — and the seventh time in his 16-year NBA career — the 36-year-old guard (Ray Allen) said that while he is willing to do whatever Celtics coach Doc Rivers asks of him to help the team, he is not yet comfortable coming off the bench, and is not necessarily looking for that to be his role for whatever remains of his career."

That doesn't imply he is unhappy.  He isn't used to it and may want to start again in the future is what that says.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Why would Ray?": Far from embracing the 6th man role? Understandable and rightfully so. This is Ray Allen we're talking about. The consummate professional, future HOF, takes care of his body like no other. Like many posters here, I agree with the Avery Bradley's insertion to the starting line-up and relegation of Allen as a 6th man. But to criticize him for speaking his heart out and wanting to compete for a starting job every opportunity he gets is UNNECESSARY. Ray Allen deserves respect, as warranted by his game, contributions, and professionalism
    Posted by great-1957[/QUOTE]

Frank Ramsey and Hondo and Paul Silas among others certainly deserved respect as Celtic's 6th men... and they got it.

Ray can  follow in their footsteps if he so chooses... and it he doesn't, he will likely be moving to another team.

His choice.

I hope he realizes that he would be in wonderful company if he stays.

Pud

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why would Ray? : Frank Ramsey and Hondo and Paul Silas among others certainly deserved respect as Celtic's 6th men... and they got it. Ray can  follow in their footsteps if he so chooses... and it he doesn't, he will likely be moving to another team. His choice. I hope he realizes that he would be in wonderful company if he stays. Pud

Why are you guys even making it seem like Ray wouldn't consider it?   Crazy conversation.

Also, every one of those guys is different than Ray.  Hondo, for example, started off at a sixth man and moved to a starter vs starting off as a Starter and moving to 6th man.     Silas was not a guy who could carry be a major starter on another team like Ray.  So, again, a different situation.

But, the net is that Ray has already said he'll do what's best for the team.  If, however, someone offers him mad money next year - he should do what I would do and anyone on this Board would do.....take the money for your life and your family to be better.   If its a $2M difference, he'll do waht right for the team but if someone offers him $10M to start and we offer $3M - he has to take that money!  I certainly would!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Read the article, Pud.  I didn't pick up that Ray is unhappy coming off the bench.  I read that this is a guy who still has fire and wants to play at a high enough level that he's a starter.   I like that fire in him.   That's what attitude all hall of famers have.  They don't DESIRE to be sixth man, they DESIRE to start.   I like that.    Its up to Danny and Doc to help him believe that this is the better contribution given his talents.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamLock. Show JamLock's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why would Ray? : Man, what are YOU talking about?   Ray has lost NONE of his class and is the consumate professional.  He's more classy than all the Ray bashers on this board.  The guy goes to Doc and actually says "let me take the pressure off you.....I'll not start if its good for the team", but he has lost some of his class? what are you guys smoking?
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Concur.

As Always,

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Would Ray Allen rather be starting, I am pretty sure he would. He has established a routine over his long career.

I think the bigger issue with Ray Allen and for that matter KG when their contracts expire at the end of this year will be more $$$ rather than role or minutes.

Sections
Shortcuts