Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No!

In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No!:
    In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No! : And what are the consequences if he reverts back to the play of the last two months of the season? Sit him? Suspend him? Trade him? Deactivate him? As you suggested, management is playing with dynamite trying to make this kid somehow accountable. Pud
    Posted by puddinpuddin

Doc has him on a short leash this season?? That's funny. Doc is the last guy who'll discipline the starters for poor play/effort imo. Heis track record says NO..

Heck, how he allowed Rondo to sleepwalk end of last season and still play him his minutes is puzzling enough. Doc says alot of things (like cutting the Big 3's minutes the last few years) and rarely follows thru.

Unfortunately, success, money and lots of media may have gotten into the head of an already odd Rondo. His reputation has been one of difficulty since at least college.

Also, whoever threw up that Rondo has a ring as compared to some other PG's..please...Give Me A Break!!  Rondo was the weakest link on the starting 5 that championship season and actually saw alot of bench time because he was ineffective.  Had his moments too but..

Had Rondo been one of the main reasons we got that ring, you'd have a valid point. Had he produced like Pierce or Ray or KG that series, you'd have a point. Just remember, Henry Finkle has a ring too..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Regarding trading Rondo... Danny would trade him no problem, all a matter what's in return. Same as with any other player in the NBA.

If the question is, is Danny looking to unload Rondo,. I'd say YES.

The kid fell to pieces last season and hurt the team. Thats bad enough but coming from your PG, its double trouble.  When Rondo plays his game, plays legit defense (rarely) and is energized, hes extremely valuable. Problem is, he doesnt bring it in the effort/mental toughness department every game.  Compare to KG...who brings it most games even though physically, he cant do it every night. Still, you can gauge the effort and discipline and its there.

Because of the above, and the fact Rondo's a non threat from the perimeter allowing defenses to sag and double team , and his horrendous FT shooting which leaves Rondo hesitant to drive for fear of being fouled (check that long stretch of games where Rondo had a few FT attempts cumulatively) ....

Danny is actively seeking to trade him imo.

Also, the quotes from Danny are meaningless... he'll never tip his hand of publicly mess up his players head by confirming he's trying to unload him...unless its already all out war, aka Melo/Nuggets

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Regarding trading Rondo... Danny would trade him no problem, all a matter what's in return. Same as with any other player in the NBA. If the question is, is Danny looking to unload Rondo,. I'd say YES. The kid fell to pieces last season and hurt the team. Thats bad enough but coming from your PG, its double trouble.  When Rondo plays his game, plays legit defense (rarely) and is energized, hes extremely valuable. Problem is, he doesnt bring it in the effort/mental toughness department every game.  Compare to KG...who brings it most games even though physically, he cant do it every night. Still, you can gauge the effort and discipline and its there. Because of the above, and the fact Rondo's a non threat from the perimeter allowing defenses to sag and double team , and his horrendous FT shooting which leaves Rondo hesitant to drive for fear of being fouled (check that long stretch of games where Rondo had a few FT attempts cumulatively) .... Danny is actively seeking to trade him imo. Also, the quotes from Danny are meaningless... he'll never tip his hand of publicly mess up his players head by confirming he's trying to unload him...unless its already all out war, aka Melo/Nuggets
    Posted by Karllost

Agree 100% Karl

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

one isn't elected to the all-defensive first team by rarely playing legitimate defense.

rondo needs to get back on course after stumbling last year. give him that opportunity in boston, danny.

i agree with rondowski that chris paul isn't celtics material. neither is deron williams IMO. rajon rondo is celtic material. so is russell westbrook.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

one isn't elected to the all-defensive first team by rarely playing legitimate defense. rondo needs to get back on course after stumbling last year. give him that opportunity in boston, danny. i agree with rondowski that chris paul isn't celtics material. neither is deron williams IMO. rajon rondo is celtic material. so is russell westbrook.
    Posted by BaileyPowe

Not disagreeing with you, but didn't we say the same thing about one Paul Pierce when he was drafted by Ricky Boy?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaileyPowe. Show BaileyPowe's posts

Not disagreeing with you, but didn't we say the same thing about one Paul Pierce when he was drafted by Ricky Boy?

i suppose, redRuss. i remember preferring wunderkind nowitzki, but being happily satisfied with the prospect of pierce instead.

what's your take on westbrook as a celtic?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

There are countless links that show that Ainge was toying with the idea of trading Rondo for the past year. 

Google search is a powerful tool, even if half the links are probably bogus.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Not disagreeing with you, but didn't we say the same thing about one Paul Pierce when he was drafted by Ricky Boy? i suppose, redRuss. i remember preferring wunderkind nowitzki, but being happily satisfied with the prospect of pierce instead. what's your take on westbrook as a celtic?
    Posted by BaileyPowe

I would LOVE him as a Celtic.... but OKC is negotiating a long term deal with him as we speak............don't have a link, read it someplace two days ago!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4420007. Show user_4420007's posts

Rondo will sulk for the rest of the season, mark my words!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

-

Regarding trading Rondo... Danny would trade him no problem, all a matter what's in return. Same as with any other player in the NBA. If the question is, is Danny looking to unload Rondo,. I'd say YES. The kid fell to pieces last season and hurt the team. That's bad enough but coming from your PG, its double trouble.  When Rondo plays his game, plays legit defense (rarely) and is energized, hes extremely valuable. Problem is, he doesn't bring it in the effort/mental toughness department every game.  Compare to KG...who brings it most games even though physically, he cant do it every night. Still, you can gauge the effort and discipline and its there. Because of the above, and the fact Rondo's a non threat from the perimeter allowing defenses to sag and double team , and his horrendous FT shooting which leaves Rondo hesitant to drive for fear of being fouled (check that long stretch of games where Rondo had a few FT attempts cumulatively) .... Danny is actively seeking to trade him imo. Also, the quotes from Danny are meaningless... he'll never tip his hand of publicly mess up his players head by confirming he's trying to unload him...unless its already all out war, aka Melo/Nuggets

Posted by Karllost

-

A lot of piling on Rondo here as if he's a lousy point guard with few redeeming qualities, statements full of hyperbole and hot air.

K-Lo said, "The kid fell to pieces last season and hurt the team. That's bad enough but coming from your PG, its double trouble.  When Rondo plays his game, plays legit defense (rarely) and is energized, hes extremely valuable."

The fact is the whole team feel apart after the Perk trade, and to single out Rondo alone as hurting the team is a gross injustice.  All of the starters save Ray hurt the team during that stretch especially the bench.

The rest of K-Lo's quote is agreeable to me, though, except the part where he claims Rondo rarely plays legit D.  I saw nearly every game last season and Rondo brings legit D and  defensive energy almost every game. 

Don't' forget how he played through injuries last season instead of shutting it down.  He's a gamer, you can credit him that with no argument.

No doubt Danny would trade his own mother if the right deal came along, but there are only a few NBA point guards at Rondo's level, and I doubt any of them are available to the Celtics.  That's why I don't think Danny will trade Rondo.

http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

He could trade him for TWO pieces, let West handle the PG duties this year, and next year take his chances on Williams, Nash or Billups.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

He could trade him for TWO pieces, let West handle the PG duties this year, and next year take his chances on Williams, Nash or Billups.

Posted by Red-16Russ-11

-

With all due respect, I find this suggestion ridiculous for many reasons.

Danny is looking for a title this season, it's the C's best and last chance for a while.  He's not looking down the road in a serious way at this point.  He's looking to take advantage of the shortened season, the confusion brought on by the new CBA, to win the title this season with his aging group of Hall of Famers.

The Celtics have a legit chance at a title with this core group and the free agents from last year plus a few new pieces.

Trust Danny.  He won't be trading Rondo. 

Some people just cant see hype, PR, and media manipulation when it practically hits them in the face.  That's what all this Rondo trade talk amounts to.  They count on an easily fooled public to buy into it and make it a hot discussion topic.  See, it works.

http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/

-

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maryngary. Show maryngary's posts

Rondo would have been gone long ago, but other teams are not will to trade a great player for him.  He is not as valuable in their eyes as he is in yours.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No! : - With all due respect, I find this suggestion ridiculous for many reasons. Danny is looking for a title this season, it's the C's best and last chance for a while.  He's not looking down the road in a serious way at this point.  He's looking to take advantage of the shortened season, the confusion brought on by the new CBA, to win the title this season with his aging group of Hall of Famers. The Celtics have a legit chance at a title with this core group and the free agents from last year plus a few new pieces. Trust Danny.  He won't be trading Rondo.  Some people just cant see hype, PR, and media manipulation when it practically hits them in the face.  That's what all this Rondo trade talk amounts to.  They count on an easily fooled public to buy into it and make it a hot discussion topic.  See, it works. http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com / -
    Posted by RajonRondowski

The Celtics will NOT win #18 with JON as their center - just ain't happenin'.  I do trust Danny, but to say there is NO chance of trading Rondo is just as ridiculous as saying there is!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

-

In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No! : The Celtics will NOT win #18 with JON as their center - just ain't happenin'.  I do trust Danny, but to say there is NO chance of trading Rondo is just as ridiculous as saying there is!

Posted by Red-16Russ-11

-

"Rondo would have been gone long ago, but other teams are not will to trade a great player for him.  He is not as valuable in their eyes as he is in yours."

MarynGary

Once again, that sounds like pure speculation and opinion based on false assumptions without a shred of documentation.  Do you have anything to back up your assertion besides that it is your opinion and the opinion of others also making false assumptions?

-

Russ, who said anything about winning 18 with JON as center? 

Danny will be adding new pieces including big men.  JO can't play a lot of minutes, and all serious fans recognize that fact.  I hope he stays injury free, though because his minutes will then be very valuable.  We'll have a good run at the title if Danny plays his cards right.

I said, I don't think Danny will trade Rondo, never said there's no chance.  Absolute statements are for fools looking to eat their words.  That's the poll question.  Will he or won't he, not, is there a chance or isn't there.

Here's a question for you:  do you think there is an element of hype and media manipulation in all this Rondo talk?  Yes or no.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No! : - - "Rondo would have been gone long ago, but other teams are not will to trade a great player for him.  He is not as valuable in their eyes as he is in yours." MarynGary Once again, that sounds like pure speculation and opinion based on false assumptions without a shred of documentation.  Do you have anything to back up your assertion besides that it is your opinion and the opinion of others also making false assumptions? - Russ , who said anything about winning 18 with JON as center?  Danny will be adding new pieces including big men.  JO can't play a lot of minutes, and all serious fans recognize that fact.  I hope he stays injury free, though because his minutes will then be very valuable.  We'll have a good run at the title if Danny plays his cards right. I said, I don't think Danny will trade Rondo, never said there's no chance.  Absolute statements are for fools looking to eat their words.  That's the poll question.  Will he or won't he, not, is there a chance or isn't there. Here's a question for you:  do you think there is an element of hype and media manipulation in all this Rondo talk?  Yes or no.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

Unfortunately, there is always hype.................these kids all talk too much, anyway.....lots of media manipulation.
    Now, your turn......when Manny was traded to the Dodgers, was he even allowed to say he wouldn't sign an extension with them?  I know he did, but my point is, I don't think it's even allowed in baseball to say you won't sign with this team or that team until your contract is over.....do you know?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

-

In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No! : Unfortunately, there is always hype.................these kids all talk too much, anyway.....lots of media manipulation. Now, your turn......when Manny was traded to the Dodgers, was he even allowed to say he wouldn't sign an extension with them?  I know he did, but my point is, I don't think it's even allowed in baseball to say you won't sign with this team or that team until your contract is over.....do you know?

Posted by Red-16Russ-11

-

I think that unless a player is specifically prohibited by the terms of his individual contract from talking about where he will or will not play, a player is free to talk about where he wants to sign or not sign.  There are no league prohibitions on muzzling a player that way as it would be a violation of free speech rights.

On the other hand, teams are are prohibited from such talk under the No Tampering rules of the league.

I'm sure more detail oriented and research oriented fans than I can answer this definitively.  My answer is based on common sense and hearsay.

-

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

Disagree - when JD Drew left the Dodgers, that idiot Scott Boras was not allowed to say where his client might end up....I don't think you can say that in baseball!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

Disagree - when JD Drew left the Dodgers, that idiot Scott Boras was not allowed to say where his client might end up....I don't think you can say that in baseball!!

Posted by Red-16Russ-11

But Boras is an agent and thus subject to league tampering rules.  JD as a player could say anything he wanted to about where he wanted to go or who he would sign with, couldn't he, but his agent, Boras, could not.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-16Russ-11. Show Red-16Russ-11's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No! : But Boras is an agent and thus subject to league tampering rules.  JD as a player could say anything he wanted to about where he wanted to go or who he would sign with, couldn't he, but his agent, Boras, could not.
    Posted by RajonRondowski

Fine, but why doesn't the same thing apply to NBA agents?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No! : Fine, but why doesn't the same thing apply to NBA agents?

Posted by Red-16Russ-11

-

I don't know: that's a good question.

But I think we should go to Binding Arbitration on this matter.

There are any number of resident experts and know-it-alls around here, and I agree to defer to them as long as sufficient documentation is cited to support their ruling.

Let's wait on an expert opinion with hard evidence.  OK?

-

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertmont. Show vertmont's posts

Only #34 is not tradeable. If the C's can do better for the team a trade will happen. It's up to Danny.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

In Response to Re: Will Ainge Trade Rondo? No! : - - A lot of piling on Rondo here as if he's a lousy point guard with few redeeming qualities, statements full of hyperbole and hot air. K-Lo said, " The kid fell to pieces last season and hurt the team. That's bad enough but coming from your PG, its double trouble.  When Rondo plays his game, plays legit defense (rarely) and is energized, hes extremely valuable." The fact is the whole team feel apart after the Perk trade, and to single out Rondo alone as hurting the team is a gross injustice.  All of the starters save Ray hurt the team during that stretch especially the bench. The rest of K-Lo's quote is agreeable to me, though, except the part where he claims Rondo rarely plays legit D.  I saw nearly every game last season and Rondo brings legit D and  defensive energy almost every game.  Don't' forget how he played through injuries last season instead of shutting it down.  He's a gamer, you can credit him that with no argument. No doubt Danny would trade his own mother if the right deal came along, but there are only a few NBA point guards at Rondo's level, and I doubt any of them are available to the Celtics.  That's why I don't think Danny will trade Rondo. http://rajonrondowski.blogspot.com/
    Posted by RajonRondowski

Ski, I also watched most every game last season which is why I'm thinking you need glasses. Rondo routinely gets beaten off the dribble and is probably one of the worse players in the NBA fighting through picks. He's burned virtually 100% of the time in that situation and costs us FT's & fouls.  If you  really know your basketball and watched most the Celtic games last year, how you can argue that point is beyond me.

Sure, Rondo gets lots of steals... some because of quickness and some because he gambles so much or swipes from behind because he gets beat off the dribble.  I really dont care about all-defensive teams or need some media journalist to agree with me as evidence. I have 2 eyes and can see for myself.

Regarding the entire team falling apart end of season, not just Rondo??...well, I cant imagine who you are putting in the same category as Rondo. You're sounding more like a Rondo apologist than anything else..

I do agree with you Rondo is a gamer..

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

I love Rondo's game , but Danny has to listen to all the chatter....when your main competitior (The Knicks) is about to land someone like Chris Paul , the Celtics have to get in there and muck things up, maybe drive up the price, or delay the process so another team comes in with a late bid, or get in on something like a 3, 4 or 5 team trade, Ainge is just beating the bushes...

but lets not forget (as great as Rondo was) Rondo blew the series by blowing a point blank layup that would have put Miami down for the count...

..and look at who's mentioned to be available - Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook....maybe the only 3 point guards in the league you'd even think of trading Rondo for.....

.....did you see Shaq's comments about Rondo in his new book ? I think the big three would not be sorry to see him go, Baby either....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

I love Rondo's game , but Danny has to listen to all the chatter....when your main competitior (The Knicks) is about to land someone like Chris Paul , the Celtics have to get in there and muck things up, maybe drive up the price, or delay the process so another team comes in with a late bid, or get in on something like a 3, 4 or 5 team trade, Ainge is just beating the bushes... but lets not forget (as great as Rondo was) Rondo blew the series by blowing a point blank layup that would have put Miami down for the count... ..and look at who's mentioned to be available - Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook....maybe the only 3 point guards in the league you'd even think of trading Rondo for..... .....did you see Shaq's comments about Rondo in his new book ? I think the big three would not be sorry to see him go, Baby either....

Posted by PHX85014

-

I haven't heard what Shaq said.  Fill me in.

Only Westbrook lights my fire.  I wouldn't give Rondo for the others because Rondo fits on this team and works well within it, he's a floor leader, and he's pretty clutch.  I wouldn't role the dice on Paul or Williams being Celtic material.  A certain intensity, an edge needs to be there that Rondo has.

-

Sections
Shortcuts