Will Celtics really waive Pierce?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

Re: Will Celtics really waive Pierce?

In your first paragraph, you mean "or" instead of "then"?

Is there a deadline or date that they have to waive Paul?  If not, then there is not any problem here.  They will try to trade and if no one wants him, then they can waive him later on.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

Is there a deadline or date that they have to waive Paul?  If not, then there is not any problem here.  They will try to trade and if no one wants him, then they can waive him later on.

Scubber,

The deadline is June 30. By that time Celtics have to pick up the last year of the contract or amnesty him. If they don't he becomes a FA they have to pay him $5+M. Sorry, I don't know the details.

I think they're going to waive him.

AK

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

In response to sinus007's comment:

In response to scubber's comment:

Scubber,

The deadline is June 30. By that time Celtics have to pick up the last year of the contract or amnesty him. If they don't he becomes a FA they have to pay him $5+M. Sorry, I don't know the details.

I think they're going to waive him.

AK

Sinus, I already answered Scubber's question a few posts up.

Do you have a reason why the team would waive one of their top players ever when he still has value? His 15.3m contract would only be for one year. Other than money, which would be pretty insulting.

Rameakap,

I must've missed youre ply re: deadline.

As for waiving PP, it's the better option from $$$ standpoint. Also, it could be that PP is a quiet (secret) part of Doc-KG deal (just my gut feeling).

AK

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

In response to MelWitt's comment:

Doesn't natter...they're not making the playoffs regardless of who is on the team...get a draft pick from Cleveland next year for PP this year...the draft is better next year anyways....like I said, they are done...get to rebuilding....even the C's management knows this by the moves they're trying to make....the war is over...we lost...surrender

Actually we are going to win.

Next year is the deepest draft in years.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Wouldn't it be interesting if Pierce is thinking the absolute opposite of what you'd expect and is not interested in going to LA to follow Doc and KG.

What if he wants a new system, a new team. Wouldn't be surprised to see Paul Pierce a Spur next year. Paul would fit right in. They have cap space so they can offer him a competitive amount. Not necessarily to replace Kawhi - who is a star - but to come off the bench, maybe like Ginoble. Maybe Pierce and Ginoble come off the bench together. Paul would thrive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

What if it just the trade is off period.  Doc is stuck and has to leave the Celtics or stay.  And with all this subterfuge with Doc involved KG has to decide if he should retire or come back to the Celtics.

KG and Pierce might just decide they want to play one more year and Doc will be so embarrassed he leaves to do TV.  Doc screwed this thing up and there is now way his actions have not screwed him up things royally. We will see.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

What if it just the trade is off period.  Doc is stuck and has to leave the Celtics or stay.  And with all this subterfuge with Doc involved KG has to decide if he should retire or come back to the Celtics.

KG and Pierce might just decide they want to play one more year and Doc will be so embarrassed he leaves to do TV.  Doc screwed this thing up and there is now way his actions have not screwed him up things royally. We will see.

All things considered, I'd settle for KG and CPP coming back and doc leaving FOREVER. That might be an interesting transition year and final goodbyes for the 2 HOFers.

Under no circumstances does doc come back to the Cs.

Pud

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to Fierce34's comment:

In response to Mployee8's comment:

Huh ... I didn't say 2013-14' season ... I said by 6/30th and this report confirms a trade to the Cavs for their #31 & #33 this week for Pierce ... By or on 6/27th ... Get It????

No, you can't trade Pierce to the Cavs for a TPE on or before June 30.

The only way the Cavs can get Pierce is for Varejao, Gee, and two 2nd round picks.

Are you really that stupid?

Use the ESPN Trade Machine for cryin' out loud.

maybe the celtics and cavs can agree to a trade and make it final on july 10th? cavs draft for celtics but nothing official? as long as the cavs tell the celtics to pickup pierce option?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

i think alot of teams will want pierce by or before the draft...i think he will be traded this week...

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

maybe the celtics and cavs can agree to a trade and make it final on july 10th? cavs draft for celtics but nothing official? as long as the cavs tell the celtics to pickup pierce option?

Yes, that's possible. 

But what if the Cavs change their mind on July 10?

Right now the Celts have 3 options regarding Pierce. 

1. Waive Pierce

2. Amnesty Pierce

3. Trade or Sign and Trade Pierce

Once it's July 1, the Celts will only have the amnesty and trade or sign and trade Pierce options. No more option of waiving Pierce and only getting a 5m cap hit.

There's a risk with a deal like that because the Cavs might change their mind. If that happens then the Celts will be stuck with Pierce's 15.3m.

Remember, what the Celtic owners are trying to avoid is the repeater tax. If the Celts are still tax payers next season, they will be paying repeater tax. 

i just don't see the celtics waiving pierce....and most draft day trades are handshake deals anyway...so it would be almost the same as any deal that happens.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to raider3524's comment:

i just don't see the celtics waiving pierce....and most draft day trades are handshake deals anyway...so it would be almost the same as any deal that happens.

We'll know for sure next Monday.

Here's the thing, if Pierce gets waived, the Celts can re-sign him for less money. That's one option for the Celts, if they want Pierce back.

yeah..i did not know about the waiving part...but i think he will know for sure by thursday.

Sections
Shortcuts