Will KG Return Without Pierce?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Re: Will KG Return Without Pierce?

In response to Fierce34's comment:

Here's the thing, if the Celts amnesty Pierce, the Celts will be under the cap by 2-3m. So the Celtics will not be entering repeater tax territory if they amnesty Pierce.

My question is will KG really stop playing if Pierce is no longer a Celtic?

I mean that's what KG kept saying, that his future is tied to Pierce's.

If KG changes his mind and decides he wants to play one more season then the Celts will basically have the same team from last season and 2-3m to spend on a free-agent.

Minus the Truth, Mr. Paul Pierce, of course! 

But that is a small detail ... when you have a chance to free up 2M to sign a super-allstar free agent who will elevate you to championship contender, right???

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Here's the thing, if the Celts amnesty Pierce, the Celts will be under the cap by 2-3m. So the Celtics will not be entering repeater tax territory if they amnesty Pierce.

My question is will KG really stop playing if Pierce is no longer a Celtic?

I mean that's what KG kept saying, that his future is tied to Pierce's.

If KG changes his mind and decides he wants to play one more season then the Celts will basically have the same team from last season and 2-3m to spend on a free-agent.

I already posted this on another thread.  Listening to the local tv and radio Danny intends to either try to trade Pierce, buy him out or amnesty him.  Many of the local analysts believe that KG would still return if this happened even though he said that he would retire if Pierce is no longer with the Celtics

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I stand by my stance that KG will NOT play next year without Pierce.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Danny Ainge expects KG will play in 2013-14

Celtics general manager Danny Ainge said Thursday he'll reach out to Kevin Garnett next week and he expects KG will play next season.

Between the trade rumors, injuries and the Celtics' struggles as a team, Garnett's been through quite a year. His potential return will be a huge part of Boston's offseason as Ainge attempts to rebuild the Celtics for at least next year and possibly the next five years. If Ainge decides to opt for the latter and blow things up, there's a good chance both KG and Paul Pierce will be playing elsewhere next season. It's going to be a very big and very interesting summer in Boston.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

We can debate what the best next step is, but anyone who wants both KG and Pierce back is out of their minds. I'd prefer to see both out. Though one option is for them both to come back, have Doc run them into the ground (he likes that anyhow), and then the Celts can lose a ton of games and go for a lottery pick.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Fierce in all seriousness the goal is to lose a ton of games and get in the lottery while playing hard, so why not bring back older players who are sure to get injured and under perform. I'm having a change of heart here. 

Of course another option is to trade Rondo for a good big man and make sure there is no point guard on the team to get him the ball. Start Jet and Avery in the backcourt and lose, lose lose. 

Then get a pick, and let Ainge does what he does best...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneOnOne. Show OneOnOne's posts

KG needs to do the right thing and that is to officially retire. 

How do you decide its the right thing?  I believe its his choice to decide that. I think if he loves the game and still wants to play he decides if it is right or not.  Not many centers in the league are better than him. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

I'm really not sure what to do at this point.  I'm a fan of Big Al, but a nucleus of Green, Big Al, Rondo, and Sullinger is still a 6-8 seed in the eastern conference, which means no good draft picks and an early exit in the playoffs.  This team is in a real bind.  I think a nucleus of Rondo Green, and Sullinger has them knocking on the door of the playoffs in the eastern conference, which, again, means lower lottery draft pick....not bad enough!  It's going to take a total burn down to become competitively bad in the eastern conference.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

Would the Thunder want KG next year, enough to trade this years pick,plus Reggie Jackson for him? He may be just what the Thunder need to put them over the top!!

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

We are going to be bad for awhile no matter what happens.  Danny Ainge proved he could trade into contention once, my thought is let him try again. The downside if he doesn't is certain.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

In response to concord27's comment:

We are going to be bad for awhile no matter what happens.  Danny Ainge proved he could trade into contention once, my thought is let him try again. The downside if he doesn't is certain.

But the question is how bad?  I want really, really, really, 15-67 bad.  This team without PP and KG and no big free agents is still not 15-67 bad.  In the eastern conference, a team with a nucleus of Rondo, Green, and Sully could still win 35 games, which will keep them hovering around the 8th seed and out of or at the end of the lottery.  Low thirty win totals will perpetuate 30-40 win totals for a long, long, long time, which is a terrible rut to be in.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gasthoerer. Show Gasthoerer's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

But the question is how bad?  I want really, really, really, 15-67 bad.  This team without PP and KG and no big free agents is still not 15-67 bad. 

I think the same, we have to be really bad to have a chance for a high pick. That is why I'm not sure about Big Al. He might make us a team fighting for the 8th seed.

About your second prediction, I'm not sure. This team with Sully and Rondo fighting back from major injuries, minus PP and KG and without any addition could be a 15-20 win team IMO. Our (defensive) numbers without KG are horrible and with Green our only scorer (a guy with just a spot up 3 and a drive throug the right hand) our offense will be a mess.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to Gasthoerer's comment:

But the question is how bad?  I want really, really, really, 15-67 bad.  This team without PP and KG and no big free agents is still not 15-67 bad. 

I think the same, we have to be really bad to have a chance for a high pick. That is why I'm not sure about Big Al. He might make us a team fighting for the 8th seed.

About your second prediction, I'm not sure. This team with Sully and Rondo fighting back from major injuries, minus PP and KG and without any addition could be a 15-20 win team IMO. Our (defensive) numbers without KG are horrible and with Green our only scorer (a guy with just a spot up 3 and a drive throug the right hand) our offense will be a mess.

Big Al will not make the Celts an 8th seed.

And you're correct, without KG, the Celtic defense will be horrible and that means lottery!

The Celtics have a questionable base to build from.  Danny needs to trade his way out of this and take no prisoners. If it fails we will be about the same team we will have coming back regardless next fall.  The downside is in and we need to go for broke.  No one on the Celtics is untouchable anymore.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

In response to OneOnOne's comment:

KG needs to do the right thing and that is to officially retire. 

How do you decide its the right thing?  I believe its his choice to decide that. I think if he loves the game and still wants to play he decides if it is right or not.  Not many centers in the league are better than him. 

What you're saying is true.

But the goal is to win a championship. Having KG next season and just fighting for the 8th seed is not worth it.

Why delay the inevitable when we already know that the Celts will not be winning a championship any time soon.

fungus,... still up to your stuff as usual.

The choice is not keeping KG or going for a championship. The real choice is keeping KG and Pierce or playing lottery ball for an indefinite period of time. The last time The Celtics lost their stars, it was more that 20 years to a championship.  While it may not be another 20 years, it could be 30 years.  The Cs lost Rondo, who does play strong team ball in the play-offs, they lost Sullinger, and they had no reliable big backup or point guard. Certainly a healthy Celtic team with minor adjustments is better that what you are asking for.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

But the question is how bad?  I want really, really, really, 15-67 bad.  This team without PP and KG and no big free agents is still not 15-67 bad.  In the eastern conference, a team with a nucleus of Rondo, Green, and Sully could still win 35 games, which will keep them hovering around the 8th seed and out of or at the end of the lottery.  Low thirty win totals will perpetuate 30-40 win totals for a long, long, long time, which is a terrible rut to be in.

+33

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

In response to kyceltic's comment:

+33

Without KG and Pierce and no real additions this team will be around thirty wins. That is pretty bad, but not the worst.  Rondo gets injured with others it could be a 15 win team.

Sections
Shortcuts