With Smart and Young drafted, Rondo AND AB on the way out?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: With Smart and Young drafted, Rondo AND AB on the way out?

Again, egg is all over Fiercy's face, while I and others here nailed the situation.

I ven got one of my two predicted picks (Young) right, and the other, Gordon, went before we picked.

This is the same Gordon Fiercy ridiculed, laughed hysterically at the idea of his ever being an all-star and said was 'idiotic' to pick in the top 10. He said during the NCAA tournament he'd have picked Gary Harris and McDermott ahead of Gordon, Randle AND Vonleh. The same Harris I said was overrated and undersized and lo and behold he falls to pick 19. 

Yup, we sure should trust Fiercy's opinion on the draft talent. He said he never even watched Gordon in college. Really? But you can spew obnoxious hatred at the 18 year old on the web?

"If Ainge doesn't trade for Love Rondo will be traded on draft night"

-Fiercy 

WRONG

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"The drafting of Smart and Young tells us the Celts are going to build through the draft."

Not necessarily. The trade for KG happened after the draft, something Wyc repeated tonight. 

The Celts are going to pursue what options there are and I don't believe they have come to a decision yet on those. Example, Wyc said they tried to make moves tonight and couldn't find the right one. 

As for the OP, Smart and Young do NOT necessarily mean both AB and Rondo are gone. But Ainge clearly wants flexibility to move (or move on) from both Rondo and Bradley depending on how those negotiations go. 

Since Rondo wants a max contract and wants to play for a winner, seems more likely Rondo would go. But I don't believe Ainge will overpay for Bradley either. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

As a huge rondo supporter, even I will acknowledge this is the end of the rondo era. Not only becuz of the marcus smart pick  but also  the fact that they drafted ANOTHER guard in james young. Marcus smart NEEDS to have the ball in his hands, see his fta pg and his lack of shooting, which are both strong indicators that he cant play OFF the ball and the cs acknowledged that with the james young pick, they see marcus as the point and james young as the 2, this is our backourt of the future, ab may stick around due to age and salary ( he is only 23 and prob will only command 6-7 mill per year) so ab can play his rightful position as 6th man combo guard. But with rondos age and salary demands he is now deemed expendable.

The cs are hoping rondo rebuilds his value and look to trade him at the deadline.

As speculated once the kevin love deal fell thru and embiid didnt slide the cs decided to go for the long term rebuild with  pair of 18 and 20 year old  guards.

One thing I LOVE about these picks are BOTH guys have GREAT SIZE for their positions. This is somethin da has NOT done in the past. Glad to see it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I hope this works out better than the last time we drafted "the backcourt of the future...."  

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hope this works out better than the last time we drafted "the backcourt of the future...."  

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

[/QUOTE]

Funny

Smart reminds me a bit of Billups, who was also a strong 6'3", 20 year old when drafted, crazy athlete who could play either guard position and took a few years to really become a great shooter. Danny just needs to not trade him for Deron Williams, which is probably a modern day Billups-Anderson swap (Rondo would be the better comparison to a 28 years old in 1997 Anderson, but he is of course Smart's teammate now).

Every other GM in the NBA would have picked Tracy McGrady over Ron Mercer in 1997, only our GM had just coached Mercer in a title game at Kentucky, losing by 5. James Young is off of a 6 point title game loss at Kentucky, but despite not having named John Calipari coach and President, the C's took him b/c he is more Tracy McGrady than Ron Mercer (we can hope).

Ron was destroyed by injury and franchises in horrible situations all before age 25. If James Young can match Mercer's 15-17ppg in his first four seasons over his first dozen while shooting 40% from 3 instead of the 30% Ron shot I think we'll all be VERY happy with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If Young is a healthy Ron Mercer who can shoot 3's and Smart a more athletic/powerful Chauncey Billups who can't shoot 3's... I think the C's will have done ok for themselves.

If Young has a prime slightly worse than TMac, I think we'll all take it:-) 

That is the kid's floor. A Ron Mercer who can shoot 3's and (knock on wood) remain healthy. And a slightly less dominant TMac, who averaged 7 points his rookie year in Toronto while Young averaged 14.3 same age at Kentucky, is his ceiling.

TMac averaged 9.3 points in 22.6 minutes his second season, shooting just 23% from behind the line. Would anyone be surprised if Young did that as a rookie? TMac bumped that to 15.4 in 31 minutes on 28% from 3 his 3rd season when he was 20-21 before blowing up in his 4th season at 26ppg after moving from Toronto to Orlando.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Fiercy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

[QUOTE]

What value does he bring a team trying to tank? He is a third guard on a really good team and a starting 2 guard on a playoff team. No way he comes back is they tank.

[/QUOTE]

You're forgetting that AB is only 23 years old.

Sully is 22 years old and Oly is 23 years old.

They can grow together.

[/QUOTE]
    Exactly this is an important contract for AB. If he signs for 6million it will be with a winner.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

TRADE RONDO NOW....LET STEVENS have his OWN Team and groom his players the way he wants....Stevens will get us to the promise land, NOT Rondo!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

You never know what Ainge is thinking. If the rumors over the years have been correct then Ainge will be trading Rondo. If he's really going all out to rebuild maybe he's thinking of getting rid of Green also. I'm on board with Smart pick and I think will shape into good shooter and scorer in the NBA.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

I'd rather Ainge give AB a one year deal. Let him prove that he can go a season uninjured and play well. If he does then his play will set his pay for 2016. If he doesn't then AB can walk. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]  +1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Why do some people keep talking about Young shooting threes.  Didn't he shoot like 29% at  Kentucky, while not being a focus of opposing defenses?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

My mistake Young at 34% which is some better, Smart was the guy at 29%

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to mossad-did-911's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smart can play SG. Smart and Rondo make for a very good back court. If DA found a way to move Sully, Young, Wallace, sign and trade AB, and a #1 pick for Melo Boston would all of a sudden be a contender in the East. 

Olynyk, Humphries, Melo, Smart, Rondo 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

That is a terrible lineup.........I wonder why?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Young is a healthy Ron Mercer who can shoot 3's and Smart a more athletic/powerful Chauncey Billups who can't shoot 3's... I think the C's will have done ok for themselves.

If Young has a prime slightly worse than TMac, I think we'll all take it:-) 

That is the kid's floor. A Ron Mercer who can shoot 3's and (knock on wood) remain healthy. And a slightly less dominant TMac, who averaged 7 points his rookie year in Toronto while Young averaged 14.3 same age at Kentucky, is his ceiling.

TMac averaged 9.3 points in 22.6 minutes his second season, shooting just 23% from behind the line. Would anyone be surprised if Young did that as a rookie? TMac bumped that to 15.4 in 31 minutes on 28% from 3 his 3rd season when he was 20-21 before blowing up in his 4th season at 26ppg after moving from Toronto to Orlando.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

I agree - if Smart can be Billups - ish, we have done well.  T-Mac?  Not sure about that one.  I wrote earlier that my hope is that Young can be a "young" Calbert Cheaney............12 - 16 PPG on 45 % shooting....I'll take it.  With him and AB, that could be 25 - 28 ppg from that spot...........IF he's Calbert!

Sections
Shortcuts