with the number 5 pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the boston Celtics select....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anguskahn. Show anguskahn's posts

Re: with the number 5 pick in the 2014 NBA draft, the boston Celtics select....

In response to gman101019's comment:

I think aaron gordon and mcbuckets have to be considerations. If da thinks we need a super athlete who can play defense and hit the glass RIGHT NOW, then gordon would be a good pick, high ceiling for a 19 year old if he can improve that jumper and ft shooting.

Note:  Gordon is 18.  Not 19.  He is basically a year younger than all of the other freshman.  His 19th Bday isnt until next September 16.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

http://www.draftexpress.com/

This is today's Draft Express.  To express my extreme displeasure with it would be expressing the obvious.  I have MANY problems with these so called "experts."

For instance:

If the order stays like this:

MIL - PHI - ORL - BOS - LAL - Utah

While I agree that Wiggins "could" go to MIL (being from Canada), in the history of the NBA, if a big guy is available - he goes first (see Candy Man, Shawn Bradley, Hakeem...)

so, I say MIL will take Embiid.........but, for arguments sake, let's say they take Wiggins.

IMO - there is NO WAY....NONE.....that PHI takes Embiid.......they have one injured C already in Noel.  This is ridiculous.

IMO - there is NO WAY ORL passes on Exum or Smart.  Although Parker is a great player, why, with Afflalo and Oladipo, do they need Parker???

IMO - there is NO WAY we take Randle...........that would be saying Sully and Oly are not the future.

I agree that LAL could take Exum, but I think he'll be gone by then.

A much more likely scenario - IMO - is this:

MIL - Embiid

PHI - Wiggins or Parker

ORL - Exum or Smart

BOS - Parker or Wiggins

LAL - Randle

Utah - Smart or Exum

Again - all these kids are supposed to be good, but I'm going on need here.  Jameer Nelson is done in ORL - they have Afflalo, Oladipo, O'Quinn, Nicholson and Vucecic.  They need a PG - this one is obvious!

The lakers have only koME and Nash under contract for next year (not counting Sacre and the immortal Kendall Marshall).  They need bigs.  Vonleh may be a nice choice, too.

Feel free to rip this apart - but if this is the order, I think it's more reasonable than Draft Express.........

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to BiggerThanMyBrady's comment:

I would go after him if the Celtics have that pick and the big 4 guys have already been selected (Wiggins, Embiid, Parker, Exum). He was one of the most efficient offense players in college basketball this year and he's really young. He'll learn and get better under a great coaching staff. A lot of scouts are high on him if you have a staff that's willing to develop him. He's not a guy that's going to have a huge impact right away. You're going to have to bring him along slowly, but the benefit of that could be huge. 

Also want to throw Cleanthony Early into the discussion with that second pick. 6'8" guy that can really shoot and finish through contact. I know he's a Senior, but he looks like a solid pick in that mid-first range. 

Spot on.  Exactly what I would want to see if the C's don't get a top 4 pick.

Early really impressed me in the tourmanent,  great athlete.  Ditto with Vonleh...  could be a Bosh type player in a few years.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

If the C's drafted him I would trust that Danny sees a future gem.

He would not be Anthony Davis, who carried his team to an NCAA title. But like I said, I see a lot of Chris Bosh in him. Bosh was 1 and done at GaTech as his '03 team made the Sweet 16 but the '04 team a year later went all the way to the title game. As we've seen, Bosh is more of a 3rd banana shooter who early in his career let the veteran PF-C's have their way with him.

Vonleh would best be served spending a year in the D-League. That would fit into the Celtics frontcourt rotation plans as well. If I were the C's, I would sign and trade Kris Humphries and send him (with Faverani) to the Rockets for Asik.

2014-15 Frontcourt:

C- Asik (26 minutes), Olynyk (22 mins)

PF - Sully (30 minutes) Bass (18 mins)

That is if we keep Bass for the final year of his deal and don't trade him. The C's are more than capable of playing Asik 30 mins, Sully 32 mins and Olynyk 28 mins and have the last 6 mins played by Jeff Green or Gerald Wallace.

After next season Asik will be a 29 year old free agent. A fair contract like the one Larry Sanders got (4/44) for a defensive C who can't close games b/c of his 54% career FT shooting would work nicely. He also doesn't have the wear and tear most 29 year olds have, with just 5,000 career NBA mins or so up until now and 3 seasons in Turkey before that.

2015-2016 Frontcourt;

C - Asik (26 mins), Vonleh (14 mins), Olynyk (8 mins)

PF - Sully (30 mins), Olynyk (18 mins)

Vonleh would have only turned 20 two months before the season started. His age 19 year in the D-League and his age 20 year playing only 12-16 minutes is what we should expect if we draft this kid. don't rush him. But he can keep chipping away at Asik's mins as Omer enters his 30's and by the time Asik is 33 and his contract is up Vonleh will be about to turn 23 and start his first big money contract season.

============================================

I like your suggestions but I would still sore back and all try to get Embiid if available.   If not, how do we get Omer Asik. We have 2 first round picks and 1 of them could be a ping pong ball pick. Do we need give it up for Asik and keep the other or we have 10 other picks in the next few years so give up a couple of those with our first round pick for Asik. If we got Embiid and Oly can play Center too( Sully too if needed), how about giving up some picks for K. Love ? Can we get Asik w/o giving up a pick by trading Hump, whom I like, and all 3 of Wallace, Bass & Green or a combo of 2 of those and a pick or 2.

Yes, I think that Embiid, Sully & Oly and instead of Embiid, Asik, could give us the best frontcourt since McHale, Bird & Parish days. Keep Rondo and maybe A. Bradley and try and draft a scoring guard. As I said, I would unload Wallace, Bass & Green and as Sully and Oly play forwards, try to draft as backup Forwards, C. Early---sorry his team got knocked out as I'd like to see more of him, Doug McDermott a scoring machine and maybe Cameron Bairstow(New Mexico) a senior and another F.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

http://www.draftexpress.com/

This is today's Draft Express.  To express my extreme displeasure with it would be expressing the obvious.  I have MANY problems with these so called "experts."

For instance:

If the order stays like this:

MIL - PHI - ORL - BOS - LAL - Utah

While I agree that Wiggins "could" go to MIL (being from Canada), in the history of the NBA, if a big guy is available - he goes first (see Candy Man, Shawn Bradley, Hakeem...)

so, I say MIL will take Embiid.........but, for arguments sake, let's say they take Wiggins.

IMO - there is NO WAY....NONE.....that PHI takes Embiid.......they have one injured C already in Noel.  This is ridiculous.

IMO - there is NO WAY ORL passes on Exum or Smart.  Although Parker is a great player, why, with Afflalo and Oladipo, do they need Parker???

IMO - there is NO WAY we take Randle...........that would be saying Sully and Oly are not the future.

I agree that LAL could take Exum, but I think he'll be gone by then.

A much more likely scenario - IMO - is this:

MIL - Embiid

PHI - Wiggins or Parker

ORL - Exum or Smart

BOS - Parker or Wiggins

LAL - Randle

Utah - Smart or Exum

Again - all these kids are supposed to be good, but I'm going on need here.  Jameer Nelson is done in ORL - they have Afflalo, Oladipo, O'Quinn, Nicholson and Vucecic.  They need a PG - this one is obvious!

The lakers have only koME and Nash under contract for next year (not counting Sacre and the immortal Kendall Marshall).  They need bigs.  Vonleh may be a nice choice, too.

Feel free to rip this apart - but if this is the order, I think it's more reasonable than Draft Express.........

Nothing to rip apart.  You nailed it hedley.

Hope you're right about the Celtics,  but I think we're looking more like a #6 pick unless the pingpong balls roll our way.  I see Vonleh being the best available(I know, we don't need a PF/C) but I pray it's not Smart or Randle.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CeltsFanInNH. Show CeltsFanInNH's posts

In response to BCSP's comment:

Vonleh

• Birthday: 8/24/95
    • NBA Position: Power Forward
    • Class: Freshman
    • Ht: 6-10
    • Wt: 240
    • Hometown: Haverhill, MA
    • High School: New Hampton School
    • Team Site Profile
    • Statistics

Strengths: High upside. Possesses NBA All Star potential ... Combo forward in the mold of a Jamal Mashburn who shows the ability to face the basket as well as play in the post ... Huge 7'3 wingspan gives him the ability to play bigger and more athletic ... Solid kid with strong work ethic ... Good touch on his shot ... Developing some quality offensive moves ... Very good handle for a forward ... Strong frame with short, thick legs giving him excellent balance and low center of gravity ... Should fill out to 240-250 lbs and be able to muscle opponents after his body fills out ... Just a junior in high school and already has excellent body strength ... High character individual. Extremely coachable ...

Weaknesses: Becoming a star is just a matter of confidence and believing in himself ... A very nice kid. Needs to learn to develop a little more swagger on the court ... Can learn to become a more vocal leader ... Not the most explosive leaper ... Not a natural fit at either forward position but has the length and versatility to ultimately play either position ...

Notes: Proved to be extremely clutch, knocking down a game winning 3 pointer to win the adidas Nations event in August (2012) ... NBA scouts that were in attendance (at adidas Nations) were very impressed with him ... Measured 6'7 (in shoes) 190 lbs, with a 7'3 wingspan at the 2011 LeBron James Skills Academy. Re-classified from the HS Class of 2013 to the HS Class of 2014 ... Measured 6'9 (in shoes) 222 lbs, with a 7'3 wingspan at the 2012 LeBron James Skills Academy ... Measured 6'9.75 (in shoes) 242 lbs, with a 7'4 wingspan and 8'10 reach at the 2013 Nike Hoop Summit ... Measured 6'9 (with shoes) 236 lbs with a 7'3 wingspan at the 2013 Nike Big Man Skills Academy

Don't forget that Vonleh was 17 (16 if they were taken when he was a junior) when those measurements were done. He was 1/4" shorter than Davis, 1" less reach, but 20 pounds heavier at 240. Most 17/18 year olds continue to grow and develop like Davis did. He wont be 19 until this fall.

Let's see what he checks in at the pre draft camps before saying he will never be an NBA center or is barely a power forward.  Ideally for his sake he really needs another year of college but, he's going top 10 unless he gets injured worse. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to CeltsFanInNH's comment:

In response to BCSP's comment:

Vonleh

• Birthday: 8/24/95
    • NBA Position: Power Forward
    • Class: Freshman
    • Ht: 6-10
    • Wt: 240
    • Hometown: Haverhill, MA
    • High School: New Hampton School
    • Team Site Profile
    • Statistics

Strengths: High upside. Possesses NBA All Star potential ... Combo forward in the mold of a Jamal Mashburn who shows the ability to face the basket as well as play in the post ... Huge 7'3 wingspan gives him the ability to play bigger and more athletic ... Solid kid with strong work ethic ... Good touch on his shot ... Developing some quality offensive moves ... Very good handle for a forward ... Strong frame with short, thick legs giving him excellent balance and low center of gravity ... Should fill out to 240-250 lbs and be able to muscle opponents after his body fills out ... Just a junior in high school and already has excellent body strength ... High character individual. Extremely coachable ...

Weaknesses: Becoming a star is just a matter of confidence and believing in himself ... A very nice kid. Needs to learn to develop a little more swagger on the court ... Can learn to become a more vocal leader ... Not the most explosive leaper ... Not a natural fit at either forward position but has the length and versatility to ultimately play either position ...

Notes: Proved to be extremely clutch, knocking down a game winning 3 pointer to win the adidas Nations event in August (2012) ... NBA scouts that were in attendance (at adidas Nations) were very impressed with him ... Measured 6'7 (in shoes) 190 lbs, with a 7'3 wingspan at the 2011 LeBron James Skills Academy. Re-classified from the HS Class of 2013 to the HS Class of 2014 ... Measured 6'9 (in shoes) 222 lbs, with a 7'3 wingspan at the 2012 LeBron James Skills Academy ... Measured 6'9.75 (in shoes) 242 lbs, with a 7'4 wingspan and 8'10 reach at the 2013 Nike Hoop Summit ... Measured 6'9 (with shoes) 236 lbs with a 7'3 wingspan at the 2013 Nike Big Man Skills Academy

Don't forget that Vonleh was 17 (16 if they were taken when he was a junior) when those measurements were done. He was 1/4" shorter than Davis, 1" less reach, but 20 pounds heavier at 240. Most 17/18 year olds continue to grow and develop like Davis did. He wont be 19 until this fall.

Let's see what he checks in at the pre draft camps before saying he will never be an NBA center or is barely a power forward.  Ideally for his sake he really needs another year of college but, he's going top 10 unless he gets injured worse. 

I'd take him...this guy will mature and add 15-20 pounds in the next 4 years.....he's already a beast, he'll be a force then...I'd take him...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Id absoluty would take Vonleh, As I said in another post about who you would take at this pick blah blah my answer was vonleh. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

Anthony Davis is a one of perhaps two per generation players at the 1.  It might even be him alone and then the next tier for the next 10 years.  Would love to see him with the Rondo on the Celts. Perhaps they can can get him when he's a free agent in three more years

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If Vonleh age 20 (prior to the 2015-2016 season) is a 6'11" 245-255lb beast of a physical specimen with a 7'5" wingspan and the ability to do things only guys like KG and Anthony Davis can do... SIGN ME UP!

I don't see him as a Jamal Mashburn SF at all. He also doesn't look 240, more like 225-230. If he is only 6'9" with that 7'3" wingspan, staying around 240 and looking like a PF who can't play center then I would question picking him with Sully and Oly on this team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ImagydSportsBos. Show ImagydSportsBos's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

If the C's drafted him I would trust that Danny sees a future gem.

He would not be Anthony Davis, who carried his team to an NCAA title. But like I said, I see a lot of Chris Bosh in him. Bosh was 1 and done at GaTech as his '03 team made the Sweet 16 but the '04 team a year later went all the way to the title game. As we've seen, Bosh is more of a 3rd banana shooter who early in his career let the veteran PF-C's have their way with him.

Vonleh would best be served spending a year in the D-League. That would fit into the Celtics frontcourt rotation plans as well. If I were the C's, I would sign and trade Kris Humphries and send him (with Faverani) to the Rockets for Asik.

2014-15 Frontcourt:

C- Asik (26 minutes), Olynyk (22 mins)

PF - Sully (30 minutes) Bass (18 mins)

That is if we keep Bass for the final year of his deal and don't trade him. The C's are more than capable of playing Asik 30 mins, Sully 32 mins and Olynyk 28 mins and have the last 6 mins played by Jeff Green or Gerald Wallace.

After next season Asik will be a 29 year old free agent. A fair contract like the one Larry Sanders got (4/44) for a defensive C who can't close games b/c of his 54% career FT shooting would work nicely. He also doesn't have the wear and tear most 29 year olds have, with just 5,000 career NBA mins or so up until now and 3 seasons in Turkey before that.

2015-2016 Frontcourt;

C - Asik (26 mins), Vonleh (14 mins), Olynyk (8 mins)

PF - Sully (30 mins), Olynyk (18 mins)

Vonleh would have only turned 20 two months before the season started. His age 19 year in the D-League and his age 20 year playing only 12-16 minutes is what we should expect if we draft this kid. don't rush him. But he can keep chipping away at Asik's mins as Omer enters his 30's and by the time Asik is 33 and his contract is up Vonleh will be about to turn 23 and start his first big money contract season.

it doesnt matter who we draft at 5, would b like 2007.. just drafting to trade.. DA clearly has no intention on keeping this pick.. period! that pick with sully and JG with another #1 in 2016 or '15 will get us a stud!

Sections
Shortcuts