Wolves, Warriors Restart Kevin Love Trade Talk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Wolves, Warriors Restart Kevin Love Trade Talk

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2014/07/kevin_love_trade_rumors_minnes.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Wolves, Warriors Restart Kevin Love Trade Talk

Just read today that Kerr called Klay and told him to ignore the trade rumors.  Interesting........will Flip settle for 75 cents on the dollar??

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

Just read today that Kerr called Klay and told him to ignore the trade rumors.  Interesting........will Flip settle for 75 cents on the dollar??

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

That's why I keep saying the Celts have the best offer but the Wolves don't want to deal with the Celts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teejaytee70. Show teejaytee70's posts

Fingers crossed they get it done.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to teejaytee70's comment:

Fingers crossed they get it done.

HAHAHA

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Nothing will be done now.  When all the FA frenzy dies down there is a brief opening.  Much more likely at the deadline.  

MN needs not hurry, nor do the C's with Rondo.  Right now the teams needing parts (like CLE) are the one's in a hurry. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to croc's comment:

Nothing will be done now.  When all the FA frenzy dies down there is a brief opening.  Much more likely at the deadline.  

MN needs not hurry, nor do the C's with Rondo.  Right now the teams needing parts (like CLE) are the one's in a hurry. 

True.

Ainge can always trade Rondo later in the season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celticsfan1984. Show Celticsfan1984's posts

In response to croc's comment:

Methinks that Minny is smart to create competition for Love.  Keep talks open with GS, keeps talk open with the CAVs.  Hell if Flip had half a brain, he would engage DA just to get BOS into the middle of it too.  One of the teams will then panic/cave and offer up the ultimate deal Flip takes.

I think it is (or should be) all a ploy to create a multiple team market to get someone to cave first and include Klay or Wiggins into the deal.

Started watching the Celtics in the 80's when I was a kid, and have been a fan ever since...have watched them hoist four banners into the rafters in my life time, and always cheering for more...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to Celticsfan1984's comment:

Methinks that Minny is smart to create competition for Love.  Keep talks open with GS, keeps talk open with the CAVs.  Hell if Flip had half a brain, he would engage DA just to get BOS into the middle of it too.  One of the teams will then panic/cave and offer up the ultimate deal Flip takes.

I think it is (or should be) all a ploy to create a multiple team market to get someone to cave first and include Klay or Wiggins into the deal.

Started watching the Celtics in the 80's when I was a kid, and have been a fan ever since...have watched them hoist four banners into the rafters in my life time, and always cheering for more...

True.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2129659-timberwolves-must-face-reality-trade-kevin-love-before-market-dries-up" rel="nofollow">http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2129659-timberwolves-must-face-reality-trade-kevin-love-before-market-dries-up

Minnesota can't realistically believe, no matter what positive signs its point differential provided last year (seventh in the West, per ESPN.com), that it's in a position to play well enough to convince Love to stay.

That seems to be the plan at the moment, though, and it's one that worked for the Portland Trail Blazers with LaMarcus Aldridge last season. Enough in-season success can make stars reconsider their exit strategies.

But the circumstances in Portland were different. Aldridge was merely halfway out the door; Love is already down the block.

Whatever small advantage they once had is eroding as the summer of 2015 approaches, when Love will almost certainly make good on his initial promise to skip town.

The Timberwolves' dwindling trade partners know this, which is why Minnesota must strike now—even if it only gets 50 cents on the dollar. The alternative is basically setting those dollars on fire.

The common fallback argument here espouses the value of the cap space the Timberwolves would accrue by playing the waiting game as long as possible before letting Love go. But how exactly does that whole "cap space" scenario typically work out for Minnesota?

Summation: They like the C's have never managed to turn cap space into major FA and B/R recommends Minny take Lee, Barnes and a 1st Rd Pick if offered ... LOL!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

Per HoopsRumors: An increasing number of executives around the league expect the Timberwolves will trade Kevin Love before the start of the season, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com. The Warriors and Wolves have resumed their trade talks involving Love after having hit a stalemate earlier, reports Jon Krawczynski of The Associated Press. Minnesota believes Golden State will eventually relent and be willing to trade Klay Thompson in a deal for Love, and that the Cavaliers will come around to including Andrew Wiggins in their offers, sources tell Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal.

And if neither antes up what Minny wants, do they then think they can call Danny after dismissing the C's in the discussions to date?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

In response to BrandBreaker8's comment:

Summation: They like the C's have never managed to turn cap space into major FA and B/R recommends Minny take Lee, Barnes and a 1st Rd Pick if offered ... LOL!!!

Now you believe me when I say going after big name FAs is not one of the strengths of the Celtics?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Per HoopsRumors: An increasing number of executives around the league expect the Timberwolves will trade Kevin Love before the start of the season, reports Marc Stein of ESPN.com. The Warriors and Wolves have resumed their trade talks involving Love after having hit a stalemate earlier, reports Jon Krawczynski of The Associated Press. Minnesota believes Golden State will eventually relent and be willing to trade Klay Thompson in a deal for Love, and that the Cavaliers will come around to including Andrew Wiggins in their offers, sources tell Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal.

And if neither antes up what Minny wants, do they then think they can call Danny after dismissing the C's in the discussions to date?

I don't think so.

Glen Taylor will not want to be called the Santa Claus of the Boston Celtics.

But there's a way.

If Celts agree to overpay, Wolves might deal with the Celts.

Minny will make sure it ends up like what NY had to give to Denver in that Melo trade back in 2011.

The question is are you willing to overpay for Love?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhs1950. Show dhs1950's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

Now you believe me when I say going after big name FAs is not one of the strengths of the Celtics?

Have been trying to find a link that would provide evidence that in the past 25 years or so the Celts have had sufficient cap space to land a elite free agent. Do you have a link to show any given year where the Celtics had the necessary cap space to get involved with the elite players?

dhs1950

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

In response to dhs1950's comment:

Have been trying to find a link that would provide evidence that in the past 25 years or so the Celts have had sufficient cap space to land a elite free agent. Do you have a link to show any given year where the Celtics had the necessary cap space to get involved with the elite players?

dhs1950

Point!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

dhs1950

Remember in 2012 when KG and Ray had expiring contracts.

Ainge could have renounced both KG and Ray then go after a big name FA like Dwight Howard.

But Ainge opted to just keep KG and tried to bring back Ray for less money.

Think about it, for the last 25 years, the only big name free-agent the Celts ever signed was a 35-year old Dominique Wilkins.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

dhs1950

Ainge could have renounced both KG and Ray then go after a big name FA like Dwight Howard.

Think about it, for the last 25 years, the only big name free-agent the Celts ever signed was a 35-year old Dominique Wilkins.

Are you trying to say that that qualifies as having cap space for a major signing?   LOL!!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhs1950. Show dhs1950's posts

dhs1950

The question was: did have the cap  space not could have had. I'm not saying that they have not had the cap space because I DON'T KNOW. That's why I'm hoping that someone can provide a link showing a year or years where the Celtics were in a favorable cap position to make a legitimate offer to elite free agents.

dhs1950

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

I'm not the only one who thinks the Celts is not a premier destination for big name free-agents.

Back in 2011, after the lockout, the Celts already had a deal in place that would send Rondo, Jeff Green, and two 1st rounders to the Pelicans for CP3.

But CP3 refused to go to the Celts.

So I'm not making stuff up when I say the Celts is not really a destination for big name FAs.

Here:

Boston has fought the perception of not being a desirable destination for NBA free agents for some time. Even Kevin Garnett, whose arrival in 2007 signaled that the Celtics were a championship contender, initially refused to come here. With another rebuilding job underway and loads of potential salary cap space over the next two to three years, Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck believes his franchise has a chance to change that perception.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/03/celtics-owner-boston-celtics-can-be-free-agent-destination/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Are you trying to say that that qualifies as having cap space for a major signing?   LOL!!!!!

Yup!

KG's contract was 21.25m.

Ray's was 10m.

Bass's contract expired.

Ainge could have renounced KG and the other expired contracts and went after Dwight Howard.

Celts had the cap space for Dwight at that time.

The problem is Dwight didn't even bother visting Boston.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

The question was: did have the cap  space not could have had. I'm not saying that they have not had the cap space because I DON'T KNOW. That's why I'm hoping that someone can provide a link showing a year or years where the Celtics were in a favorable cap position to make a legitimate offer to elite free agents.

dhs1950

Here:

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/06/11/celtics-salary-cap-and-free-agency-faq/" rel="nofollow">http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/06/11/celtics-salary-cap-and-free-agency-faq/

How much cap space do the Celtics have?

As much as around $20 million and as little as none. On July 1, the Celtics will not technically have any cap space.

Who is under contract for next season?

Paul Pierce: $16.79 million

Rajon Rondo: $11 million

Avery Bradley: $1.63 million

JaJuan Johnson: 1.089 million

Total: $30.5 million

But Ainge opted to pass on 20m in cap space to bring back KG, Bass, and Jeff Green.

That was the right move because Dwight Howard didn't even visit Boston.

Ainge had no choice but to keep his own players.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhs1950. Show dhs1950's posts

I'm not the only one who thinks the Celts is not a premier destination for big name free-agents.

Back in 2011, after the lockout, the Celts already had a deal in place that would send Rondo, Jeff Green, and two 1st rounders to the Pelicans for CP3.

But CP3 refused to go to the Celts.

So I'm not making stuff up when I say the Celts is not really a destination for big name FAs.

Here:

Boston has fought the perception of not being a desirable destination for NBA free agents for some time. Even Kevin Garnett, whose arrival in 2007 signaled that the Celtics were a championship contender, initially refused to come here. With another rebuilding job underway and loads of potential salary cap space over the next two to three years, Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck believes his franchise has a chance to change that perception.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/03/celtics-owner-boston-celtics-can-be-free-agent-destination/" rel="nofollow">http://nesn.com/2014/03/celtics-owner-boston-celtics-can-be-free-agent-destination/

So they missed out on Paul and landed Garnett--neither of which was a free agency deal.  Yes, the perception exists that the elite free agents shy aware from Boston. However, it doesn't necessarily follow that perception and reality need be the same. Just some links from the past should clear this matter up. 

dhs1950

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

So they missed out on Paul and landed Garnett--neither of which was a free agency deal.  Yes, the perception exists that the elite free agents shy aware from Boston. However, it doesn't necessarily follow that perception and reality need be the same. Just some links from the past should clear this matter up. 

dhs1950

No, the Celts already had KG when they were trying to get CP3 from the Pelicans.

The point is why did CP3 refuse to come to Boston to play with KG, Pierce, Ray, and Doc?

CP3 was really pushing the Clips to get Doc from Boston last season.

So why didn't CP3 want to play for Doc in Boston?

Also, back in 2013, after the Celts got eliminated in the playoffs, both the Lakers and Celtics were in the position to go after a big name free-agent this summer.

All the Celts had to do was let Pierce's contract expire because KG's contract was non-guaranteed for this coming season.

That would've freed up 27m in total salaries because Pierce's last year was 15.3m and KG was at 12m.

Think about it, if Ainge didn't trade KG and Pierce to Brooklyn, there would be no Gerald Wallace and the Celts would have cap space this summer to go after a FA like Carmelo.

But once again Ainge turned down another opportunity to go after a big name FA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhs1950. Show dhs1950's posts

Simply pointed out that Garnett DID come to Boston in a trade in 2007.  For the last time I'm looking for evidence that Boston, in the past 25 years, had ample cap space to have been able to sign elite free agents.

dhs1950

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

Simply pointed out that Garnett DID come to Boston in a trade in 2007.  For the last time I'm looking for evidence that Boston, in the past 25 years, had ample cap space to have been able to sign elite free agents.

dhs1950

Like I said, the Celts had ample cap space in 2012.

Here:

http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/06/11/celtics-salary-cap-and-free-agency-faq/" rel="nofollow">http://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2012/06/11/celtics-salary-cap-and-free-agency-faq/

The Celtics enter the offseason with four players under contract for next season, and what looks like a pile of cap space. Looks can be deceiving, however. That theoretical space doesn’t account for contract options, qualifying offers, two first-round draft picks and the biggest charge of them all, cap holds.

If Garnett goes elsewhere, or retires, then the Celtics will be looking at a full-on rebuilding project and that’s when that cap space would become so vital.

Ainge simply chose to keep his own players.

But if you're looking for evidence of ample cap space, I just showed you one.

All Ainge had to do was renounce KG and the other expired contracts.

Sections
Shortcuts