Worried about the F position

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Driscoll92587. Show Driscoll92587's posts

Worried about the F position

With the signing of Delonte West, it seems likely that the C's will be done making any moves this offseason.  As far as the roster 1-15, I feel that Boston absolutely has the deepest team in basketball coming into the season.  That said, I see one big weakness and that's at the SF position off of the bench.  I think Danny may have gone too small at this position.  There is no true SF coming off of the C's bench, and definitely not one that can contain LBJ (granted there is no one in the NBA that can cover LBJ).  It seems quite evident that the loss of TA has split the C's into a team of guards and big men, with only one true SF in Paul Pierce:

Delonte: PG/SG
    Avery : PG/SG
    Nate: PG
    BBD: PF
    S. O'Neal: C
    Harangody: PF
    Wafer: SG
    Quisy: SG

I know Quisy is supposed to play the three, but he's undersized and was a liability last year.  So, what does anyone else think? Do we have enough firepower to combat what the C's are giving up and the backup SF position?  Will the defense suffer?  Will Paul play too many minutes in order to solidify the SF position? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

Re: Worried about the F position

In Response to Worried about the F position:
    [QUOTE]With the signing of Delonte West, it seems likely that the C's will be done making any moves this offseason.  As far as the roster 1-15, I feel that Boston absolutely has the deepest team in basketball coming into the season.  That said, I see one big weakness and that's at the SF position off of the bench.  I think Danny may have gone too small at this position.  There is no true SF coming off of the C's bench, and definitely not one that can contain LBJ (granted there is no one in the NBA that can cover LBJ).  It seems quite evident that the loss of TA has split the C's into a team of guards and big men, with only one true SF in Paul Pierce: Delonte: PG/SG Avery : PG/SG Nate: PG BBD: PF S. O'Neal: C Harangody: PF Wafer: SG Quisy: SG I know Quisy is supposed to play the three, but he's undersized and was a liability last year.  So, what does anyone else think? Do we have enough firepower to combat what the C's are giving up and the backup SF position?  Will the defense suffer?  Will Paul play too many minutes in order to solidify the SF position? 
    Posted by Driscoll92587[/QUOTE]

If LBJ starts to push people around they will put BBD on him to wear him out a bit. Maybe even use Luke on him for a while. No one contains LBJ but he gets tired when he plays against a big opponent (muscle is weight) example...Dwight Howard.
    There are really only two players on the Heats team that can dominate a game (not CB at least in the past) and if you can wear them out you would have a decent chance of a win. personally I like our defenders against DW...JMO
    If it becomes a problem you could look for DA to make a change I bet.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

Neither Big Baby or Harrangody have the speed to keep most small forwards in front of them, especially Lebron. It would appear that Davis and Harrangody would be stuck in cement with Lebron driving past them. Hello and goodbye.
        Others have said that they are confortable with the C's bench to start the season. There will be an oppurtunity for Ainge to acquire a small forward during the season via trade.
       Let's not forget about Tony Gaffney. Doc may cut a player and add Gaffney. We'll see how Gaffney plays during the pre-season though to evaluate if he's a legit backup for Pierce or not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I can't tell you how many milliseconds I've spent worrying about Finley's replacement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

The Celtics can always make changes after December 15. 

It would take a miracle for Gaffney to make the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I don't think Harangody is a bad a choice as a b/u to PP than everyone else thinks. He is a big kid 250 lbs. and I don't care about his defense on LBJ because that is PP's man. Harangody is a b/u for the time being. He will score more than Sheldon did last year and he gets up and down the floor better than you might think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In Response to Re: Worried about the F position:
    [QUOTE]I don't think Harangody is a bad a choice as a b/u to PP than everyone else thinks. He is a big kid 250 lbs. and I don't care about his defense on LBJ because that is PP's man. Harangody is a b/u for the time being. He will score more than Sheldon did last year and he gets up and down the floor better than you might think.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]
        He rebounded well and shot well from the outside during the summer league. However I tend to disagree with you in regards to his running ability. Some players make up with good defensive fundamentals to counteract their lack of speed. I hope Harrangody is one of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from GregoBoston. Show GregoBoston's posts

I am sure that a veteran will be bought out at the trade deadline and sign with the Celts for peanuts.
    In the mean time, we will be fine.  We are a very deep team. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TeamUmbutu. Show TeamUmbutu's posts

It might be fun to see a line up of Shaq, Jermaine, KG, Ray, and Rondo, or Shaq, Jermaine, KG, Pierce and Rondo from time to time.

While KG is no longer at the MVP level, he was first team all NBA at small forward in 2003. I think that he could still do a fair job. During that year he held Tracy Mcgrady (previous NBA scoring champ) to zero points for the only time in Mcgrady's career.

The first line up could allow Pierce some breathing time on occasion if some of the others don't work out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from heirplain. Show heirplain's posts

In Response to Re: Worried about the F position:
    [QUOTE]It might be fun to see a line up of Shaq, Jermaine, KG, Ray, and Rondo, or Shaq, Jermaine, KG, Pierce and Rondo from time to time. While KG is no longer at the MVP level, he was first team all NBA at small forward in 2003. I think that he could still do a fair job. During that year he held Tracy Mcgrady (previous NBA scoring champ) to zero points for the only time in Mcgrady's career. The first line up could allow Pierce some breathing time on occasion if some of the others don't work out.
    Posted by TeamUmbutu[/QUOTE]

Wow..talk about entertaining! I don't remember KG playing sf as I didn't follow the Wolves at all but I'm sure he could at one time (maybe on all fours!!)! Last year his knee inhibited his lateral quickness to some extent and I remember some players blowing by him.
    Let's hope he has recovered to the point that he can play the sf at times as he would be a monster matchup if he could!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Okay guys well think about it. Last year we didn't have a backup wing neither and we held on till the 4th quarter of the finals. So we don't really need the backup wing... Okay Tony was a good defender but marquis can be a good one as well. At least he is a taller player. Von wafer is taller too. So if any of those players can play defense and be healthy we won't be so bad. A backup wing would make things easier but every team has it's weaknesses and it seems like the staff have problems finding a solution so we'll have to go with their decision and this roster.

Sections
Shortcuts