Worst Rebounding Team in the NBA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

Worst Rebounding Team in the NBA

http://www.nba.com/statistics/sortable_team_statistics/sortable2.html?cnf=1&prd=1

After 13 games the Celtics are only getting 38.46 rebounds per game. That's even worse than what the Suns are getting and they have Turkoglu as the starting PF.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

Right on

And look who's numero uno.  This wasn't supposed to happen.  The Celts went out and got size if nothing else.  Jermaine's injury is definitely a factor.  I'm really frustrated with this team right now.  I'm thinking about my posts from last season when I questioned their heart and ability.  I didn't think it would be an issue this season.  I guess I was wrong.  I'm sorry but this is supposed to be a group of pros with great talent, coaching and leadership.  These past two are unacceptable let-downs.  Sorta like getting it handed to us by Memphis at home last season.  How do you go from the efficient beat down we gave the Grizzlies last week to these past two stinkers?  It certainly isn't a case of match-ups.  On paper we dominate OKC without Durant and Greenie.  Likewise TORONTO without their starting point guard.  How does Reggie Evans do what he did yesterday against Garnett, Davis, Shaq, Semih.  And Bargnani?  Gimme a break!!  The guy has precisely one tool.  Why is he standing open at the three stripe the whole game?  the only consolation is Acie and Pud can't blame this one on Rondo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

oopsie

I just checked the box.  Bagnani had 29 but only 2-6 from the three.  It must have just seemed like he was raining long range shots on us all day.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Icon11. Show Icon11's posts

Re: Worst Rebounding Team in the NBA

No one ever really seems to notice this but Glenn Davis is a really bad rebounder. 5 boards in 30 minutes a game  for a power forward is horrific.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P34. Show P34's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Rebounding Team in the NBA:
    No one ever really seems to notice this but Glenn Davis is a really bad rebounder. 5 boards in 30 minutes a game  for a power forward is horrific.
    Posted by Icon11

You seemed surprised. 

In case you didn't know Davis is only 6-6 and is not a high leaper. But he does lead the NBA in getting offensive fouls. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from beatles4eva. Show beatles4eva's posts

Re: Right on

In Response to Re: Right on:
    In Response to Right on : And the Lakers are doing it WITHOUT Andrew Bynum! This season is looking better and better each day. Number one in rebounding. Number one in scoring. Biggest point differential. Number one in 3 point %. Number 2 in FG %. Number 2 in FT %. It looks like the Lakers are at or near the top in almost every offensive and defensive category. I guess Blake and Barnes were the right pickups for this team.
    Posted by Qdaddy

What does this have to do with the Celtics rebounding woes?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Observation.  How many times do you see PP standing still outside the "3" pt. line?  He doesn't move at all in the "O".  If he gets the ball he shoots, and runs back down the court.  He doesn't get a shot, he runs back down the court.

He never follows a shot, or hits the "O" board.  It is designed that way to protect on the "D".  It is a System weakness that takes a physically strong player out of the board action.  thus his .4 "O" rebounds a game.

Rebounding is a TEAM thing. you can get beat with speed, or by a better athlete,  if you don't block-out.  Every guy has to put a body on a man.  Ain't happening.

We just don't use all 5 guys to rebound.  It shows in the results.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Paul Pierce ranks # 35 in "O" rebouning among Small Forwards, with .4 a game.

Maybe time to send him to the boards!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

It's obvious Doc has no faith in Ray or PP as rebounders or he would not have them get back, first, to defend the opponent's fast break.  If we had guys who could commit to rebounding, we wouldn't have to get back to defend before our shot even hits the rim.

Rebounding is all about effort and we don't have a person committed to putting forth that effort ALL GAME, EVERY GAME.  Shaq just isn't athletic enough anymore to be counted on for rebounding.  KG wants to stay outside and PP and Ray run to the defensive end first.  Honestly, Semih seems to be the only person capable (height, energy) and suited to bang in the paint for rebounds.  We need to teach him up and see what he can do.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Rebounding Team in the NBA : You seemed surprised.  In case you didn't know Davis is only 6-6 and is not a high leaper. But he does lead the NBA in getting offensive fouls. 
    Posted by P34

If I remember correctly, last year, Glen was one of the top rebounders on this team.  I am not sure what happened to him this year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RUMcHale. Show RUMcHale's posts

Re: Right on

In Response to Re: Right on:
    In Response to Right on : And the Lakers are doing it WITHOUT Andrew Bynum! This season is looking better and better each day. Number one in rebounding. Number one in scoring. Biggest point differential. Number one in 3 point %. Number 2 in FG %. Number 2 in FT %. It looks like the Lakers are at or near the top in almost every offensive and defensive category. I guess Blake and Barnes were the right pickups for this team.
    Posted by Qdaddy

Lakers are doing it easy for sure. I want to know where are those who posted all was fixed when Shaq and JON were signed up. Pfft!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

IF I recall from last season, it was the Celtic philosophy to immediately drop back on defense to prevent a break and forego the O rebound.  I believe this has been their strategy and perhaps remains.

Cant fault a player for doing what the coach tells him.. if thats the case.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

It's obvious Doc has no faith in Ray or PP as rebounders or he would not have them get back, first, to defend the opponent's fast break.  If we had guys who could commit to rebounding, we wouldn't have to get back to defend before our shot even hits the rim. Rebounding is all about effort and we don't have a person committed to putting forth that effort ALL GAME, EVERY GAME.  Shaq just isn't athletic enough anymore to be counted on for rebounding.  KG wants to stay outside and PP and Ray run to the defensive end first.  Honestly, Semih seems to be the only person capable (height, energy) and suited to bang in the paint for rebounds.  We need to teach him up and see what he can do.
    Posted by Petey62

I don't think Semih is the answer to the Celtics rebounding woes. Semih's lucky to be in the NBA.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbeach48. Show dbeach48's posts

Semih looked awful

he is hurt and the nose cheap shot  did NOT help him much

GBBD is also bruised up and playin worse

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KGLove. Show KGLove's posts

Harangody (from the games he's actually gotten to play in) seems to be a good rebounder wonder why he only gets 2 minutes a game..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from showtime32. Show showtime32's posts

Ainge must have thought by signing Shaq that rebounding would be less of an issue. He was wrong on that!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

Somehow said worst rebounding team in the league just out rebounded Atlanta 50-30.  Go figure.  Certainly helps that KG has gotten his hops back, and that Shaq has been ... well ... Shaq.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

There are no rebounding woes.....

1)
    The Celtics are an East team.  West teams play much more uptempo game with more shots  and therefore get a lot more rebounds per game.  
    Because of this , 10 of the top 15 rebounding teams are in the West.  The few East teams that do show up have some great centers like Howard, Noah, Bogut.

2)
    The Celtics lead the NBA in FG% and only miss about 38 shots per game (while making about 39).  They are last in the league in offensive rebounding because honestly they just don't miss much.

For contrast, Minnesota is the #2 rebounding team on that list and they miss 51+ shots per game, making only about 37.   All those extra rebounds don't mean squat when the Celtics are still hitting more FG per game than them.

I would not be suprised to see the team make a deadline deal involving Davis or Jermaine though.  I love Baby taking charges but neither one can really pick up the slack as PF if KG goes down again and they're really the only choices. They'd be better off getting a young athletic PF and letting the guards (West, Robinson) be the second unit offense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

Actually now that I think of it ... The Bulls would be a good landing spot for either of them.  The Bulls have athletic big men that would allow Davis to roam and a few young centers that could benefit from Jermaine.

I don't see anyone they'd give the Celtics back though.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicclover. Show magicclover's posts

I don't know how many games I've seen where the opponent or our team will shoot the ball and I'm immediately looking underneath the hoop, to find that our player or players could get position for a rebound, but instead stands there and waits for the opponent to get position on them!!!! 

Very frustrating.  Rarely do I see anyone fighting to get into position to box out the other team, either on the offensive boards or defensive boards.  Instead, they stand around, look up and maybe jump and reach for the ball instead of getting in proper position.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I'll say one thing for shaq: when he's in he cleans up the defensive boards nicely.  Hard to go over that massive back, even for a high flying hawks team.  I think shaq played the best game last night I've seen him play in years, even though I've seen him score more points.  He absolutely controlled the middle of the paint last night on both ends.

I just hope we don't kill him in the first half of the season at this pace.  Of course, he can find rest later as other guys get healthy (hopefully.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BoylestonBB. Show BoylestonBB's posts

Ainge must have thought by signing Shaq that rebounding would be less of an issue. He was wrong on that!
    Posted by showtime32

It is November - a long trime until May and June

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bilalkazmi. Show bilalkazmi's posts

It's obvious Doc has no faith in Ray or PP as rebounders Posted by Petey62

PP is a pretty good rebounder.  Prior to the Big 3 assembling in Boston, Paul's rebounding figures were above average for his position in the NBA.  Even now, every once in a while he will have a huge rebounding game.  I am pretty sure DOC isn't stupid enough not to realize this.

We are bad at rebounding for various reasons:
    1.  We don't have the youngest and the most athletic bigs in the NBA
    2.  Our system is designed to stop offensive penetration, and to force teams into taking low percentage shots.  When you decide to do something well, you have to give up something else.  To stop teams from taking high percentage shots you have to ensure that certain players are never allowed to have room in certain locations.  This puts some of your players away from the boards.  And at the end of the day, everyone has a limited supply of energy.  If you decide to use your energy in preventing easy looks, you probably don't have ample energy left to crash on the boards.

But poor rebounding certainly is our achillies heel.  Last year, we lost to the Lakers in the finals because we couldnt rebound in game 7.

Sections
Shortcuts