Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adco1212. Show adco1212's posts

Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?

If KD played any defense, I think he would be a candidate for the #1 pick, but since he doesn't, I think it would have to be LeBron, Howard, or Blake. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinnacle10. Show pinnacle10's posts

If I could sign him to a 10 year contract, I'd have to seriously consider Lebron.  I don't like him, but if I were a GM it'd be tough to pass on him.

Otherwise I think I take Blake.  Someone said he's done nothing yet, but he's had a better first 40 games than Lebron or anyone else you'd be considering.  Plus he's got the Clippers winning some games.  They've won something like 8 of 12 and 6 in a row at home.  That alone is an accomplishment. 

I don't see Durant being in my top 4.  He'd be close, but he doesn't seem to be able to close out games as good as the great ones should. 

My List - First 3 are pretty easy

Griffin
    Lebron
    Howard

After the top 3 it's almost a toss-up of how they rank.
    Wade
    Durant
    Rondo
    Rose
    Chris Paul
    John Wall (probably wouldn't take him because of his injuries though)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?:
    [QUOTE]If KD played any defense, I think he would be a candidate for the #1 pick, but since he doesn't, I think it would have to be LeBron, Howard, or Blake. 
    Posted by adco1212[/QUOTE]

Defense wins championships.  Offense and superstar stats are glamourous.  But, Defense wins championships. Ask the unglamorous Spurs and the Celtics of 2008 and the Lakers who went to get Artest so that they could compete with the Celtics!  Flashy guards like Rose will have gawdy stats but will not win until they learn to share the ball and play great defense.   Ask Jordan about that!  What made him great was not only his scoring, but his defense and motivating his teammates.  THAT, my friends, is why we all love KG so much.  Now - who in this young crowd fits THAT bill.....that's who I'll take.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Hint:  It ain't Rose and it Ain't Durant.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

[QUOTE]Hint:  It ain't Rose and it Ain't Durant.
    Posted by Celtsfan4life[/QUOTE]

Jarrett Jack!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

LOL!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

In Response to Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM?:
    [QUOTE]Just curious if you think Blake Griffin would be the #1 overall pick if you were starting a team right now.  I would think the top 4 candidates would be LeBron, Dwight, Durant, and Blake.  Age, upside, durability...all things considered.  I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, as much as I hate LeBron, but I would personally go: 1-Blake; simply based on his upside, which is ridiculous 2-LeBron; would be #1 if he had shown the ability to win, and wasn't such a DB 3-Howard; lacks killer instinct, but by far the best Big in the game 4-KD; best scorer in the game, but doesn't have the all around game yet
    Posted by adco1212[/QUOTE]

In the past 20 years or so there have basically been a handful of teams that have won most of the championships and other than Michael's Bulls those teams had one thing in common - a dominant BIG.  Shaq, Duncan, KG, Ben / 'sheed, Pau.

Sure Kobe has 5 but he gets exactly none of them without Shaq and Pau.  Sure Paul Pierce has one but he doesn't get a sniff without KG.  Tony Parker and Manu have some but they don't get to the finals without Timmy.

That said, start with Howard and then hope and pray that he misses tons of games with injuries so that your team stays crappy and allows you to continue to draft very high (only kidding I would not want any player to have injuries).

The problem is when you get the STUD you get too good too fast and if you don't have enough pieces to start a dynasty, it is difficult to add those pieces.

Griffin will be a star for years to come so I think he is a close second.  I hate to even think about how good the Clips would be had they not lost Kaman 30 games ago.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I think Id start with DH.. He scores, plays D and is allowed to get away with murder by the refs. What better combination?

My #2 would be Durrant. Hes gonna play for a long time cause he can shoot and is very tall. So, losing a step of some hops wont hurt him so much.

Not sure where Id put Lebron. To me, he seems uncoachable and therefore I couldnt build a team around him. I always understood the adage -No one man is bigger than the team-  Ive coached and believe that to be true.

So here's my off the cuff best shot:

1. Howard

2. Durrant

3. Wade

4. Melo

5. Rose

6. Amare

7. Griffin

8. Bron

9. Paul

10. Love

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]I think Id start with DH.. He scores, plays D and is allowed to get away with murder by the refs. What better combination? My #2 would be Durrant. Hes gonna play for a long time cause he can shoot and is very tall. So, losing a step of some hops wont hurt him so much. Not sure where Id put Lebron. To me, he seems uncoachable and therefore I couldnt build a team around him. I always understood the adage -No one man is bigger than the team-  Ive coached and believe that to be true. So here's my off the cuff best shot: 1. Howard 2. Durrant 3. Wade 4. Melo 5. Rose 6. Amare 7. Griffin 8. Bron 9. Paul 10. Love
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]

Finally, some folks who start with Defense!  You, Dudder, and I are in agreement (that's almost never going to happen - agreeing with Dudder - smile).  I could quibble about the list but in general, I agree as long as it starts with a defensive, rebounding, scoring big man.  Now if Howard only had a little more fire.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM? : Finally, some folks who start with Defense!  You, Dudder, and I are in agreement (that's almost never going to happen - agreeing with Dudder - smile).  I could quibble about the list but in general, I agree as long as it starts with a defensive, rebounding, scoring big man.  Now if Howard only had a little more fire.

I find it hard to believe that any guards make any list.

The only guard that has won a ring in the last 20 years without one of the best BIGs was Michael but he had Scottie, Horace Grant, Rodman and a bunch of other serviceable BIG man.

Who the main opponents of those Bulls teams? - Patrick Ewing, Shaq, and Alonzo Mourning, and Hakeem and Malone in the West.

I am not saying you don't need guards or wings but unless you are Michael you are not getting a ring without one of the best BIGs.

Without Gasol the last couple of years the Lakers are a 35 win team.  Without Howard the Magic are the Cavs.  Without Duncan the Spurs win 35 games.

The best young frontcourts in the league are the Clippers and the Wolves.  And not so coincedentally all 6 players in those starting frontcourts are from the lottery.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM? : I find it hard to believe that any guards make any list. The only guard that has won a ring in the last 20 years without one of the best BIGs was Michael but he had Scottie, Horace Grant, Rodman and a bunch of other serviceable BIG man. Who the main opponents of those Bulls teams? - Patrick Ewing, Shaq, and Alonzo Mourning, and Hakeem and Malone in the West. I am not saying you don't need guards or wings but unless you are Michael you are not getting a ring without one of the best BIGs. Without Gasol the last couple of years the Lakers are a 35 win team.  Without Howard the Magic are the Cavs.  Without Duncan the Spurs win 35 games. The best young frontcourts in the league are the Clippers and the Wolves.  And not so coincedentally all 6 players in those starting frontcourts are from the lottery.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

I'm with you most of the way.  You're right if you stop at "who do you start with".   However, the TEAM wins championships, not the big man alone. So, I START with a big man, but every big man had a shooter/passer/team leader (except where the leader is the Center like Bill Russell).  So, Jabbar had the Big O and Magic and Worthy + others.  Even the Celtics big 3 had DJ.  Duncan had Parker and Ginobli recently and Sean Elliott the first time around.  Hakeem had Kenny and Cassell.  You gotta have some scorers/shooters around that big man.  If Durant would just play D, he's perfect.  But, gotta have a good point guard as the second person after starting with great centers or power forwards.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from genaro008. Show genaro008's posts

1-Durant
      2-Howard
     3-LeBron
    4-Gasol
    5-Griffin
    6-Melo
    7-Rose
    8-DWill
    9-Wade
    10-Love

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM? : I find it hard to believe that any guards make any list. The only guard that has won a ring in the last 20 years without one of the best BIGs was Michael but he had Scottie, Horace Grant, Rodman and a bunch of other serviceable BIG man. Who the main opponents of those Bulls teams? - Patrick Ewing, Shaq, and Alonzo Mourning, and Hakeem and Malone in the West. I am not saying you don't need guards or wings but unless you are Michael you are not getting a ring without one of the best BIGs. Without Gasol the last couple of years the Lakers are a 35 win team.  Without Howard the Magic are the Cavs.  Without Duncan the Spurs win 35 games. The best young frontcourts in the league are the Clippers and the Wolves.  And not so coincedentally all 6 players in those starting frontcourts are from the lottery.
    Posted by TheDUDDER[/QUOTE]

You make sense but... the problem is... these days there arent many good, younger big men in the NBA to build a team around.

Howard is the obvious.. then what?

I think Yao Ming leads the Wests centers and maybe Bynum is 2nd?? lol See what I mean??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticsUbunto. Show CelticsUbunto's posts

Durant Cool

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If I was in some fantasy draft of making the best starting 5 out of the recent drafts (say since '03) to built a team for the future I'd pick these two:

Dominate the next 5 years:

C - Bogut
    PF - Bosh
    SF - Gay or Melo
    SG - Wade
    PG - DWill

Dominate the next decade:

C - Howard
    PF - Griffin
    SF - Durant
    SG - Evans or Curry
    PG - Rondo or Wall

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM? : You make sense but... the problem is... these days there arent many good, younger big men in the NBA to build a team around. Howard is the obvious.. then what? I think Yao Ming leads the Wests centers and maybe Bynum is 2nd?? lol See what I mean??

That would be the beauty of starting with Howard.....there aren't many other good young big men around.  He would dominate for a long time.  The poster didn't ask to start 5 teams, he asked if you were a GM would you start with Griffin or someone else.  I'm with you....start with Howard and build around him with a shooter and a great point guard, then fill in from there.  All other teams would have to catch up because they can't get another Howard.  There are multiple shooters and multiple point guards, but very few big men who can rebound and play D.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Would Griffin be your #1 pick as a new GM? : I'm with you most of the way.  You're right if you stop at "who do you start with".   However, the TEAM wins championships, not the big man alone. So, I START with a big man, but every big man had a shooter/passer/team leader (except where the leader is the Center like Bill Russell).  So, Jabbar had the Big O and Magic and Worthy + others.  Even the Celtics big 3 had DJ.  Duncan had Parker and Ginobli recently and Sean Elliott the first time around.  Hakeem had Kenny and Cassell.  You gotta have some scorers/shooters around that big man.  If Durant would just play D, he's perfect.  But, gotta have a good point guard as the second person after starting with great centers or power forwards.

You don't have to have a good point guard at all.  In the last 20 years the only great ones that have won rings are Billups and Parker.  Heck the Cs won a ring with Rondo in his second year when he was arguably one of the worst point guards in the league and they beat a Lakers team with Fisher who nobody would consider a great point guard.

I think the point guard position is vastly overrated other than on the teams that happen to have a great one.  None of the best point guards in the league have even gotten close to a ring - Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Westbrook, Kidd, Nash, Davis, Ellis, Rose, Curry, Felton, Bibby, and so on - NO RINGS......

Of course the BIGs have wings and scorers but the BIGs sign the paychecks.  There is an interesting stat that I think tells the real story and I don't know the details off the top of my head but it goes something like this - Tim Duncan has gotten rings for XX number of guys - in other words, the higher the number the more irrelevant the guys.  The XX guys are interchangeable but the one constant is Duncan.

I will not debate Russell blah, blah, blah.... NO SALARY CAP.....  here is Red and Russ discussing the team - Sorry Russ this year we can keep either Cousy or Heinsohn which one do you want?......... 

It is kind of like debating whether Brady or Manning are the greatest quarterback in history - the rules heavily favor the quarterbacks and the receivers - if Marino and Montana played with today's rules they would through for 8000 yards and throw for 90 touchdowns and if Brady played back then, he would never have thrown for 50 touchdowns - how is it that Marino still holds the record for passing yards with 5084 without the benefit of today's rules?  One would think with the rules today that someone would have thrown for 6000 yards.

I disagree re. Durant - he has debataby the 4th best point guard in the league and they will never get a sniff unless somehow Ibaka becomes something more than a decent BIG and they add some depth in the front court.  The Thunder are a forever one and done team unless they add some quality depth up front.  I never ever ever wish any injuries on anyone but the best thing that could happen to the Thunder is that in consecutive years Durant and Westbrook have season ending injuries which allows them to draft a legit BIG or somehow they can wriggle one away from some one but given that BIGs are the most valuable commodity in all of sports (maybe other than a pitching ace and a franchise quarterback) it is highly unlikely that they will be able to acquire one without giving up lots of picks and then getting really lucky.

Oden's contract is up - how odd would it be that he gets and stays healthy and the Thunder are the team that signs him in the offseason?  Then watch out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cole-ely. Show cole-ely's posts

I would submit that parker wasn't even that good yet when they won that last one.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Oden is perhaps the last guy you want to bank on. His body seems tailor made to get injured. However, if he stayed healthy, do we really know how good he is or will be?  I sure dont.

Hes big but not dominating. He reminded me of Patrick Ewing a little in college.. not much offensive skills but an intimidator down low. Thing is Ewing did it in the NBA & developed into a great offensive player too. Havent seen much of that from Oden...havent seen much of Oden period.

That said, if he lived up to some of his potential & was playing for the Thunder.. it could spell trouble for the rest of the NBA. Thats exactly what they need.. a monster in the middle

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheDUDDER. Show TheDUDDER's posts

[QUOTE]Oden is perhaps the last guy you want to bank on. His body seems tailor made to get injured. However, if he stayed healthy, do we really know how good he is or will be?  I sure dont. Hes big but not dominating. He reminded me of Patrick Ewing a little in college.. not much offensive skills but an intimidator down low. Thing is Ewing did it in the NBA & developed into a great offensive player too. Havent seen much of that from Oden...havent seen much of Oden period. That said, if he lived up to some of his potential & was playing for the Thunder.. it could spell trouble for the rest of the NBA. Thats exactly what they need.. a monster in the middle

He completely dominated Noah in the Championship game and while doing so looked almost disinterested - like a guy at a picnic swatting a fly.  Worst case scenario when he got injured last year he happened to be averaging more points and rebounds and block than Perk.  Would the Thunder be better with Perk than Collison or Ibaka?

Sections
Shortcuts