Would love to have been a Fly on the Wall...DA trade talks with the Clippers ???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Would love to have been a Fly on the Wall...DA trade talks with the Clippers ???

As I live in SF, watching the game starting at 7:30(10:30 east coast) was not a problem. Game was in LA and the Spurs dominated winning by 26( 116-90).  Paul & Griffin are not enough to bring this team a championship. If they are happy being the better team in LA and no longer the Lakers, then good for them.

I don't know if Danny tried to trade KG and PP to LAC but the LAC should have offered us the moon...a selection of any players except Paul & Griffin & tossed in some draft picks too because with KG and PP too, they had a chance to win a title !!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

Re: Would love to have been a Fly on the Wall...DA trade talks with the Clippers ???

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:

As I live in SF, watching the game starting at 7:30(10:30 east coast) was not a problem. Game was in LA and the Spurs dominated winning by 26( 116-90).  Paul & Griffin are not enough to bring this team a championship. If they are happy being the better team in LA and no longer the Lakers, then good for them.

I don't know if Danny tried to trade KG and PP to LAC but the LAC should have offered us the moon...a selection of any players except Paul & Griffin & tossed in some draft picks too because with KG and PP too, they had a chance to win a title !!!

From what I read CP3 went and called KG and asked him to waive his no trade to come. KG said he didn't want to leave. KG was adament about it from the start. It doesn't matter who was offered the bottom line it was KG wanting to stay in Boston. You don't find that may loyalists in sports these days. The Celtics just like the Clippers have to go forward with what they got. To me in the west SA or OKC are the teams to beat.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

Re: Would love to have been a Fly on the Wall...DA trade talks with the Clippers ???

It seems like Coach Vinnie couldn't convince Clipps' managment to make the deal, so it fell to CP3 to lobby for the trade with perhaps an idle threat that he wouldn't re-sign if they didn't make it happen. My guess is that before CP3 did that, he had to first gauge KG's interest and that's when the trade fell apart for good.

My problem with this is that it seems that Doc & DA didn't have the stones to show KG some tough love and ask him themselves. I could easily see KG saying "thanks but no thanks" to CP3 but if DA explained that it was good for business and for KG then maybe this deal would've had a better chance to happen.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

I thank you previous 3 responders as I didn't know that Paul had talked to KG about coming aboard. And, I agree, that Doc and Danny should have said we appreciate your loyalty but don't you want to retire in your home location and have a chance for another ring. Plus, you'd be doing the "C"s a favor and all the fan base would know that you were not blindly traded but because of your no trade agreement, did agree to it. I've said this before that although KG wanted(wants) to retire in Green, he has only been with us for 6-7 years as his best stat days(yup, he was younger) were 12 years in Minn so he was not homegrown as was Larry Bird and even PP.

I personally think KG was foolish if he truly had the opportunity to go.

I know he said that PP would need go too but I don't think the Clippers had enough to offer us for both of them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I thank you previous 3 responders as I didn't know that Paul had talked to KG about coming aboard. And, I agree, that Doc and Danny should have said we appreciate your loyalty but don't you want to retire in your home location and have a chance for another ring. Plus, you'd be doing the "C"s a favor and all the fan base would know that you were not blindly traded but because of your no trade agreement, did agree to it. I've said this before that although KG wanted(wants) to retire in Green, he has only been with us for 6-7 years as his best stat days(yup, he was younger) were 12 years in Minn so he was not homegrown as was Larry Bird and even PP.

I know he said that PP would need go too but I don't think the Clippers had enough to offer us for both of them.

True but the Clippers didn't want PP, the Nets did and Danny wasn't about to give him away for Kris Humphries, Marshon Brooks and a 1st round pick. It is what it is and hopefully the Celtics can win the next 3 games of this road trip. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

In response to ANONMD08's comment:

True but the Clippers didn't want PP, the Nets did and Danny wasn't about to give him away for Kris Humphries, Marshon Brooks and a 1st round pick. It is what it is and hopefully the Celtics can win the next 3 games of this road trip. 

Ya, but do we know for a fact that LAC didn't want PP and, if so, could KG have said that he would come only if PP did(would have been nice too for these 2 allstars to retire together with another ring & enjoy their remaining games beating the long time hated Lakers). I said I felt KG would be foolish to turn down the move but if they said no to PP, in addition to his loyalty to Boston I appreciate his loyalty to PP. Again, as I said earlier, I don't feel LAC had enough to compensate us for both of them...maybe some draft choices. Anyway...moot point !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

From what I read CP3 went and called KG and asked him to waive his no trade to come. KG said he didn't want to leave. KG was adament about it from the start. It doesn't matter who was offered the bottom line it was KG wanting to stay in Boston. You don't find that may loyalists in sports these days. The Celtics just like the Clippers have to go forward with what they got. To me in the west SA or OKC are the teams to beat.

Definitely agree with you.  KG is very different from many of the professional athletes today.  He was always very loyal to Minnesota and wouldn't have asked to be traded like so many of the current NBA players.  He may have won more championships if he had been traded to another NBA team when he was a few years younger. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

Definitely agree with you.  KG is very different from many of the professional athletes today.  He was always very loyal to Minnesota and wouldn't have asked to be traded like so many of the current NBA players.  He may have won more championships if he had been traded to another NBA team when he was a few years younger. 

KG may be uniquely loyal and a throwback but I think DA & C's will look back to this possible trade scenario and wish that they pressed him more to waive his no-trade.

From what I've heard the coaching staff and top Clipper players wanted to make this deal and even the C's front office liked it as well, so it's too bad that someone couldn't talk sense into KG because it benefitted him as well.

In some cases blind loyalty can be a result of fear and stubborness.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to wfdog's comment:

KG's loyalty isn't blind. His eyes are wide open.

To quote KG himself... it is what it is.

Pud

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to wfdog's comment:

In response to susan250's comment:

KG may be uniquely loyal and a throwback but I think DA & C's will look back to this possible trade scenario and wish that they pressed him more to waive his no-trade.

From what I've heard the coaching staff and top Clipper players wanted to make this deal and even the C's front office liked it as well, so it's too bad that someone couldn't talk sense into KG because it benefitted him as well.

It didn't come down to KG, Clipper management and owners nixed the deal before it went anywhere ...

MP I know you heard the rumblings that Clipper management wanted CP3 to bless the deal before they went forward (they even talked about it on PTI) and that CP3 and/or Billups talked to KG about his interest after the All-star game, so don't you think it came more down to KG and his fear of change?

I get that Clipper management wants to keep Bledsoe as a back-up plan in case CP3 bolts next year but if CP3 promises to re-sign if they get KG, then I think they would be willing trade him and Jordan who won't be nearly as effective as KG in playoffs.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

In response to DFURY-13's comment:

This is what I posted in another thread.

They raised season ticket prices accross the board. While I agree we have some great young players like Sully, Green and Rondo, how do you go back to your fan bas and say fans we got rid of the faces of the franchise and brought in Eric Bledsoe and Chris Humphries and Marshon Brooks and D'Andre Jordan? The answer, you don't if you want keep that revenue. If we were talking about tanking it and getting expiring contracts so we could be a player in free agency then that's different, but that's an even bigger gamble because Boston isn't the most attractive place to go because of the winters here.

Danny got a guy who can play 3 positions for essentially nothing. Melo can play Collins 10 minutes and you can get a guy off the waiver wire. By having this chip Danny could go out and use Bass and one of these guys to get a big the veteren guys can groom for the future to play with Sullinger. This was the best thing he could do. Stop complaining. It's rediculous.

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from R9R. Show R9R's posts

Clips absolutely missed a golden opportunity - KG would have made them instant favorites. They should have offered us anything that we wanted. I'm not sure Danny wanted Jordan on our books at 10M. 

Were fans really salivating at having Bledsoe, Jordan, Humphries and Brooks?

People don't realize that KG & PP have a huge amount of value in terms of developping our complementory pieces. Just look at Crawford's mentality today. Pride and respect for the game and the team are hard to impart without such amazing vets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wfdog. Show wfdog's posts

In response to R9R's comment:

Clips absolutely missed a golden opportunity - KG would have made them instant favorites. They should have offered us anything that we wanted. I'm not sure Danny wanted Jordan on our books at 10M. 

Were fans really salivating at having Bledsoe, Jordan, Humphries and Brooks?

People don't realize that KG & PP have a huge amount of value in terms of developping our complementory pieces. Just look at Crawford's mentality today. Pride and respect for the game and the team are hard to impart without such amazing vets.

Agree, Wojo said this morning that rival GM's in the western conf were fearing the Cipps getting KG.

Again, I think it's more ridiculous that the only bigs we have now is KG (who has got so many miles that he would rather shoot from the top of the key); Bass (who at 6'8" is more of a pick & pop guy); Wilcox (who Doc doesn't trust to keep out on the floor for too long); and Fab (who is so raw that he isn't even ready to play Steamer-type mins from last year)!

I just don't get the Celts FO thinking regarding bigs, rebuilding, and ball-handlers for the last couple of years. Doc & DA must have drafted some 'small ball' or 'point forward' type blueprint regarding rebuilding a team that can make it through the ECF while also keeping aging stars so they don't lose season tix holders and they're riding into the ground and off the cliff. 

Sections
Shortcuts