Would the Celts be a better team if Rivers had stepped down last season and Thibodeau stepped in?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Would the Celts be a better team if Rivers had stepped down last season and Thibodeau stepped in?

Thoughts?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Would the Celts be a better team if Rivers had stepped down last season and Thibodeau stepped in?

I was actually hoping that this would occur. Rivers debated retiring all last season. It was obvious that Thibodeau would have been the most logical choice to replace Rivers. Too much credit was given to the sacrifice of "The Big Three" and not enough was given credit to their buying into Thibodeau's defensive system.  Ainge was foolish to let him walk while the Bulls were smart to pick him up. I have heard that Lawrence Frank, the heir to Thibodeau, is a candidate to become the head coach of Tennessee. I don't know if it's true but if he goes and Doc Rivers retires the Celtics will be in a whole heap of trouble...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from guyfromtex. Show guyfromtex's posts

Re: Would the Celts be a better team if Rivers had stepped down last season and Thibodeau stepped in?

Thibodeau leaving Boston was akin to Buddy Ryan leaving the Chicago Bears. The Bears were still very good defensively but the mastermind behind the defense that frightened the NFL in '86 was irreplaceable and the Bears were never quite as good. Sorry guys, I know that some of y'all Patriots fans still shudder at the thought of those '86 Bears!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from docomospur. Show docomospur's posts

Possibly, because of Thibs' tactical nous, but you'd have to also put a huge chunk of the Celts' troubles on the shoulders of the players - especially the so-called big 4.  It's arguable if Thibs could motivate this lot any better than Rivers.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Laker-Nation32. Show Laker-Nation32's posts

Doc wanted to prove he could go 1 better. After all his starting 5 has never lost a series and as it stands at the moment, his latest starting 5 is also yet to lose a series.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetruth007. Show lovetruth007's posts

The players lost games. Period.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Celts be a better team if Rivers had stepped down last season and Thibodeau stepped in?:
    YES! Rivers is clearly struggling this season without Thibodeau. It's become increasingly obviously in this latest difficult stretch where Doc has not had the team prepared, he has not made any adjustments and, most alarmingly, he has not demonstrated good leadership to guide the team through this rough patch. Against the Bobcats he folded his arms in disgust and seemed to give up late in the 4th, rather than making any moves or doing anything positive to help the team. After the game, as he has in many losses this season, Doc placed the blame squarely on the players. He may have been right last night, but this behavior is not the mark of a great leader. The Bulls defense under Thibodeau has drastically improved and is a key reason they're sitting at the top of the standings. Glad to see this post - it's a legitimate question and one that would never be posed by the mainstream Green Team media who would never criticize Doc.
    Posted by Meter

Great post.  I just read this thread and not sure if Thibodeau would have been better than Doc, but he is definitely missed by this team.  The Bulls are playing great basketball and it is definitely because of Thibodeau.  Although, the team and especially Rose is having a great season. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RajonRondowski. Show RajonRondowski's posts

In Response to Re: Would the Celts be a better team if Rivers had stepped down last season and Thibodeau stepped in?:

In Response to Re: Would the Celts be a better team if Rivers had stepped down last season and Thibodeau stepped in? : Great post.  I just read this thread and not sure if Thibodeau would have been better than Doc, but he is definitely missed by this team.  The Bulls are playing great basketball and it is definitely because of Thibodeau.  Although, the team and especially Rose is having a great season. 

Posted by susan250

-

This type of crapola irritates me, and I will tell you why.  It has nothing to do with what is going on now.  T is in Chicago and D is in Boston and this type of speculation is only an excercise in futility and foolishness. 

Where will it lead when you get into "what if's":  the sky's the limit with more and more foolish speculative "what if's" after "what if's".

This entire thread is divorced from reality at a time when we should be focused on supporting our struggling team.

I disagree that it is a great post.  I think it is a lousy post at this point in time, when the board is overgrown with negative-nellies, who wants to deal with purely speculative  what if's?

That's my humble opinion.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

HArd to know the answer to this question..

Certainly Tibs is getting mucho respect from the job hes doing this season.. doesnt hurt to have a much improved DRose on your team though..

Anyway, Tibs has the BUlls playing well, more importantly  theyve become a top defensive team...which is the calling card of Tibs... so he deserves lots of credit.

Tibs leaving the Celts has to hurt us a little.. he was given credit from everywhere for the defese we had.

Would Tibs have done a better job than DOc as C's head coach this year?? I dont think theres any way anyone can answer that with any sort of reliability.

DOc is credited with having a great repoire with the team... they like him and want to play for him. That goes a real long way with a veteran team.  Im not so sure Tibs could have stepped into those shoes and carried on in Docs place as well.

Good topic.. hard one to figure

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from elvis-surfs. Show elvis-surfs's posts

We would be a better team if Derrick Rose was our point guard.
    Posted by Kirk6

brutal...dry, like your martini...thanks for the laugh...almost got coffee up my nose...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

but alas, it was a two pronged coaching staff numb nuts off season-....

1) clifford ray put out to pasture- and i have read some articles that this was done most disgracefully by the c's.  i hope the stories about ray's foot being in the shape it was are not true.

2) thibodeau

you have to value some things in a company / franchise.  the big man coach who had our bigs over-achieving was worth more than a sloppy release.

and likewise thibodeau not being worked into a larger role is also stupid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

So, if Rivers is your head coach and Danny is your GM, Acie, what larger role would you give Thibs when he's being offered the chance to coach Rose/Deng/Boozer/Noah and some young guns in a big market like Chicago (ie. a plum job in the league).

I, too, love Thibs, but what would you have done to retain him?

Sections
Shortcuts