Would you do this?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

Re: Would you do this?

In response to Eldunker's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Monroe isn't perfect, but he is far from the bum as being described here.

Monroe is one of the better big men in the NBA.  Every single big man has serious flaws.  But he is young (24), big (6'11"/250 lbs); healthy (hasn't been seriously injured in 4 years and plays 30 min/game) and still has upside.

Like PER or not, it is the only statistical measurement of a players overall value.  Monroe's PER is 20.34 which is quite good. (Rondo's is 15.34 which is quite average).

Monroe averages about 16 PPG, 10 RPG and 3.5 APG.  He see the court well, has decent hands, passes well, is unselfish and athletic enough to spin, drive, post up, and run in transition very well. 

Yes his D stinks, especially trying to cover 4s because of slower lateral movement.  Can this improve with specific training and development? Maybe.  He doesn't have a very good outside shot either.  But his natural position is Center not PF.

At center, he is not a rim protector and can't defend Bigs very well.  THAT IS HIS FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM.  

But Is that much different than acknowledging that Rondo can't shoot or defend other PGs very well?

All things considered, a Big with flaws is more valuable than a Guard with comparable flaws.  

[/QUOTE]

Sweeten the pot with a future 1st round pick or another player on a rookie contract and I'm in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxcodyfxx. Show xxcodyfxx's posts

Yes I watch basketball and Monroe is a productive big. Look at his avgs.. And he played half the season at center. We have to much guards rondo is gone sorry attached rondo fans! 

What would you rather have Monroe/Zeller  and pressy/smart/turner (Jennings if he's in the deal) 

or.. Zeller/Anthony and rondo/smart/pressy/turner 

I'll take the first pair. That's an immediate upgrade at the big position ( our biggest position of need)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Eldunker was absolutely right in his description of Monroe

Doug Funny is pretty spot on with his Big Al comparisons as well. Big Al had Monroe's #'s for one year, 2006-07 at age 22, that Monroe had his age 21, 22 and 23 seasons. Al made the jump from 16/11 to a couple of 20+ppg seasons (although he never rebounded again like he did here at age 22)

This would make for a crowded frontcourt, but if you plug Monroe in a center for 32 mins, expect a career year (17ppg, 11rpg on 55/75 shooting) and accept his gifts (size, soft hands, durability, high assist and steal #'s for a big) at the expense of his major flaw (rim protection) then the fan and player can co-exist.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If it is all about asset collection, tanking and salary cap relief, here is a deal I would do involving Monroe/Rondo:

Monroe (signed for 4 years 54 million in declining amounts 15-14-13-12), Spencer Dinwiddie (rookie 2nd rd pick who could be a steal), Jonas Jerebko and Will Bynum's expiring contracts (4.5 and 2.9) and a 2017 1st rd pick (top 3 protected)

for

Rondo (13 million), Wallace (10.1m) and Faverani (2.1m)

- Celtics are immediately free of the extend Rondo at 17+ million issue and of Fav's DUI situation.

- Monroe would cost about what Rondo did this year in 2015-16, so the team has kept a top 3 player at the status quo

- They dumped Wallace's 10 million and any uncomfortable playing time issues between him and Turner

- C's add a draft pick in the one draft in the next 4 years they don't have a 1st rd pick in. Rondo and Smith will turn 31 during that season, so unless Drummond doubles his points to produce like Shaq in his 20's and Caldwell-Pope becomes the next Mitch Richmond, that is a team that drafts in the teens every year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

It is all about asset collecting

After next season, where we'd land another top 7 pick based on this swap, the C's would have Monroe controlled ages 25-27 at 39 million.

Even if Rondo didn't sign for the max he'd want more total money on a 5 year deal than John Wall (80 million) and believe he'd deserve more per year than Parker (15 million) b/c he is 4 years younger. So the C's would have him controlled ages 30-34 at 80-85 million.

Whose contract is more appealing around the league?

If the C's keep and extend Rondo, they likely get a worse draft pick, and then what if they can't add an all-star summers of 2015 or 16?

You'd have to look to trade a 30 year old Rondo summer of 2016 with 4 years and 64-68 million left on his deal. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

The 2015 draft is reported to be loaded with bigs.

The Cs are all but a lock for the top 5.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Worst case scenario with Monroe is the age 21 pre-Drummond guy who had a 22 PER as a full-time center.

Best case with Rondo is a return to his 2011-12 season form of 11.5apg, 4.5rpg, 2 steals per game where he was above average on D, gambling too much, but still very good when it counted. He should have improved shooting from the awful 46/58/23 he was those years to say 50/30/65 #'s. Meaning he'd score 14-16 a game instead of 11 and have a PER between 19-21 instead of 17.

Monroe still has more value around the league, even if he caps out as a 32 minute, 18/10, 21-23 PER guy with poor defense but high assist/steals #'s (for a big) ages 25-27 at 39 million than the return to form Rondo would have ages 30-34 for 80-85 million as he slowly declines.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

A return to form Rondo has more value to DETROIT than Monroe has. That is the key in any hypothetical deal.

At least for the next 3 years at 13 million and then the first 2 years of his extension at say 16.5 and 18 million. So 3/47.5. That is instead of Monroe at 3 years and 39-42 million.

Monroe is Detroit is forced to play PF and backup center, might only have the same 18-19 PER Rondo would, forces Josh Smith to unfairly play out of position at SF and instead of Rondo bringing his playoff tested abilities to run an offense, feeding crown jewel Drummond and teaming with his buddy Smith now playing his natural PF position, they'd have Jennings/Augustin at PG and 100 million tied up in two guys played out of position with Drummond's extension on the way. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Rame - I like your ideas, but I don't see DET giving up Dinwiddle (sp?)  because you and I both think he would be a steal, and so does SVG. 

We should just waive Wallace............Rondo for Monroe and Will Bynum (and a pick), and be done with it.  I think Monroe hasn't hit his ceiling yet, and with good coaching (not that SVG isn't good, too), he will have, as you say, a career year this year.  BUT - he doesn't want to play in DET..................so he will be unmotivated......let's get him here...........Monroe, Zeller, Sully and Oly  get rid of  Bass later.

Any news on Wallace?  Is he recovered from surgery................waive his but.!!!!!!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to CubanPete's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That shouldn't keep us from making a trade like the one I suggested for Monroe. It is all about asset collection.

The bigs in next years draft:

Jahil Okafor - The likely #1 pick, he should provide the 16ppg by his 2nd year that Big Al and Monroe did and 20-25ppg for his prime but is so young and so untested, especially on D where he's not a great athlete or very mobile and is already 272lbs at age 18, so conditioning issues could exist. Either way, he'll go top 3 and it is never wise to base your team building around a top 3 pick (See Duncan)

Beyond Okafor there are two players I like that would fit with the bigs we already have. Karl Towns and Cliff Alexander.

Both project as better defenders than Okafor and would fit nicely next to either Sully or Olynyk as the more low post dunking and blocking shots kind of players.

Beyond that the draft really isn't 'loaded' with bigs. There is Porzingis, who is 215lbs and replicates a lot of what Olynyk brings and Cauley-Stein, who we've already seen for two underwhelming years at Kentucky and could get passed by freshman Towns this year. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Rame - I like your ideas, but I don't see DET giving up Dinwiddle (sp?)  because you and I both think he would be a steal, and so does SVG. 

We should just waive Wallace............Rondo for Monroe and Will Bynum (and a pick), and be done with it.  I think Monroe hasn't hit his ceiling yet, and with good coaching (not that SVG isn't good, too), he will have, as you say, a career year this year.  BUT - he doesn't want to play in DET..................so he will be unmotivated......let's get him here...........Monroe, Zeller, Sully and Oly  get rid of  Bass later.

Any news on Wallace?  Is he recovered from surgery................waive his but.!!!!!!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

[/QUOTE]

If we waive Wallace he will no doubt clear as no team in their right mind would pick up his 2/20. At that point the Celtics are on the hook for the remainder of his deal.

A team like the Pacers, who lost George could use him. They can't use a disabled player exception on him b/c those can only be used on players in the last year of their contract. 

So if Wallace is waived by August 31st he can be stretched over 5 years count on the cap as 4 million a year for 5 years. 

If we stretch him after the trade deadline (there could be contenders willing to take 1.5 years of him but probably not), then we can waive/stretch him and pay the rest of his 2015 salary and then the final 10.2 million in 3.4m increments over the next 3 years.

As we saw this summer an extra 3-4 million could make a break a team's ability to sign a free agent. If the Bulls had 3-4 million more in cap space they could have offered Melo 85-90 million (pretty close to the 95 million max the Lakers offered) but instead could only offer 73 million. 

I say hold onto Wallace at least through the deadline, unless the Pacers are so desperate for help that they would do a side deal like Mahinmi, Copeland and Soloman Hill for Faverani and Thornton. A deal that upgrades the recently arrested Faverani to Mahinmi and saves us 2-3 million. But I think Copeland and Soloman could be almost as good as Wallace.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Dinwiddie, taking on Wallace's contract (Detroit would be weak at SF if they move Smith back to PF anyhow) and the future 1st are the costs of making a deal to unite Rondo and Smith and improve over the next 2-3 years.

Between Rondo being backed up by Augustin at PG and Jennings moving over to play SG with KCP they won't have a lot of room for DinWiddie. Here, on a tanking team, he gets a shot at displacing Pressey as Smart's backup. At full strength he is more atheltic and talented than Phil and MUCH taller. Or he can compete against Young who he is more experience than. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Charlotte is in need of another PF.

Bass for the other Zeller or Vonleh?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That shouldn't keep us from making a trade like the one I suggested for Monroe. It is all about asset collection.

Jahil Okafor - The likely #1 pick, he should provide the 16ppg by his 2nd year that Big Al and Monroe did and 20-25ppg for his prime but is so young and so untested, especially on D where he's not a great athlete or very mobile and is already 272lbs at age 18, so conditioning issues could exist. Either way, he'll go top 3 and it is never wise to base your team building around a top 3 pick (See Duncan)

Beyond Okafor there are two players I like that would fit with the bigs we already have. Karl Towns and Cliff Alexander.

Both project as better defenders than Okafor and would fit nicely next to either Sully or Olynyk as the more low post dunking and blocking shots kind of players.

Beyond that the draft really isn't 'loaded' with bigs. There is Porzingis, who is 215lbs and replicates a lot of what Olynyk brings and Cauley-Stein, who we've already seen for two underwhelming years at Kentucky and could get passed by freshman Towns this year. 

[/QUOTE]

Although Cauley-Stein may not be the best center (NBA prospect) at Kentucky, he will undoubtedly be the starting Center.  

Karl Towns, yet another Kentucky 7 footer, could make a splash but probably won't get the minutes to prove himself, so he could slip in the draft to our 2nd first round pick!!  

and poor Dakari Johnson, a natural center, touted as a mid 1st round pick in pre-season last year, but who won't see many minutes again this season with Cauley and now maybe Towns ahead of him.  Johnson still needs a lot of development, but could be the quiet steal of the second round if he comes out. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to BrandBreaker8's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OMG.  Please say you don't actually really think they would even contemplate for a second to trade a young athletic potential superstar in Vonleh... for Bass, a mediocre washed up soon to be journeyman ?  ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!  or are you DaCeltics ??  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OMG.  Please say you don't actually really think they would even contemplate for a second to trade a young athletic potential superstar in Vonleh... for Bass, a mediocre washed up soon to be journeyman ?  ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!  or are you DaCeltics ??  

[/QUOTE]

Not really but I read that they are a serious contender in the EC this season with Indy's loss of George but aren't comfortable with either Zeller or Vonleh as McRoberts replacement and are in need of a veteran PF. No question that Bass is no McRoberts but who else has an abundance of PF's and what do they have to give up for one?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bass and.... 

I assume you don't think that is fair value?

Would you trade Bass for Sully or Olynyk? Our two PF's were drafted in the teens and 20's. Charlotte's in the top 10 of the lotto. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrandBreaker8. Show BrandBreaker8's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Bass and.... 

I assume you don't think that is fair value?

Would you trade Bass for Sully or Olynyk? Our two PF's were drafted in the teens and 20's. Charlotte's in the top 10 of the lotto. 

[/QUOTE]

No but my point is that they are in need and we have a boatload ... seems they would make a good trade partner.

Here ....

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/lance-stephenson-hornets-pacers-eastern-conference/" rel="nofollow">http://grantland.com/the-triangle/lance-stephenson-hornets-pacers-eastern-conference/

They could use an extra big man after losing McRoberts. Williams bloomed into a stretch power forward in Utah last season, but he’s not the passer and screener McRoberts was as a crucial hub at the elbows. Cody Zeller is unproven, Bismack Biyombo has been a flop, and Vonleh is a rookie. Charlotte envisions Zeller playing some backup center minutes, so they could really use another power forward.

Granted, Bass isn't the passer/screener they may be looking for to replace McRoberts but they need a veteran to go to war in the playoffs and Bass has been a two-way player and a pretty good one in playoff situations despite his natural handicap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

Found a very interesting and well written article by Zach Lowe discussing the very pertinent topic of the evolution of the power forward. It's a perfect read for this thread because in it he discusses Monroe, and our very own Brandon Bass.

As far as Monroe goes, Lowe sees him (surprise, surprise) as a lesser version of Big Al, and that Monroe is very hard to build around due to his numerous limitations, and his need to play with the ball in his hands. This type of player is kind of a dying breed in the NBA. 

For Bass he claims the Celtics have "tried like [Heck]" to get ANYTHING of value, but it has been fruitless. His assertion is that it isn't any fault of Bass', but just the way the NBA views Bigs who can't step behind the 3 pt line, and/or can't protect the rim at an elite level. Those guys are a dime a dozen, and dont fit into the "New NBA".

This made me think of Sully and is probably the reason he was told to fire away from three.  If he can hit that on a semi regular basis, even at the expense of other aspects of his game, his value around the league will skyrocket.

But even then, for the PF position in the NBA most GMs view the value as Love, Aldridge, Blake, Duncan and then everybody else.

http://grantland.com/features/the-nbas-bigs-problem/" rel="nofollow">http://grantland.com/features/the-nbas-bigs-problem/

It is a very well put together article.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtfanofcs. Show vtfanofcs's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Although Cauley-Stein may not be the best center (NBA prospect) at Kentucky, he will undoubtedly be the starting Center.  

Karl Towns, yet another Kentucky 7 footer, could make a splash but probably won't get the minutes to prove himself, so he could slip in the draft to our 2nd first round pick!!  

and poor Dakari Johnson, a natural center, touted as a mid 1st round pick in pre-season last year, but who won't see many minutes again this season with Cauley and now maybe Towns ahead of him.  Johnson still needs a lot of development, but could be the quiet steal of the second round if he comes out. 

[/QUOTE]

7'0 Junior Kaleb Tarczewski from Claremont, NH is a late first rounder in many 2015 mocks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to vtfanofcs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

7'0 Junior Kaleb Tarczewski from Claremont, NH is a late first rounder in many 2015 mocks.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I'll have to look him up thanks

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FierceBrand. Show FierceBrand's posts

If it is all about asset collection, tanking and salary cap relief, here is a deal I would do involving Monroe/Rondo:

Monroe (signed for 4 years 54 million in declining amounts 15-14-13-12), Spencer Dinwiddie (rookie 2nd rd pick who could be a steal), Jonas Jerebko and Will Bynum's expiring contracts (4.5 and 2.9) and a 2017 1st rd pick (top 3 protected)

for

- Celtics are immediately free of the extend Rondo at 17+ million issue and of Fav's DUI situation.

- Monroe would cost about what Rondo did this year in 2015-16, so the team has kept a top 3 player at the status quo

- They dumped Wallace's 10 million and any uncomfortable playing time issues between him and Turner

- C's add a draft pick in the one draft in the next 4 years they don't have a 1st rd pick in. Rondo and Smith will turn 31 during that season, so unless Drummond doubles his points to produce like Shaq in his 20's and Caldwell-Pope becomes the next Mitch Richmond, that is a team that drafts in the teens every year. 

And you said you didn't propose trading for Greg Monroe?

HAHAHA

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

[QUOTE]

for

HAHAHA

[/QUOTE]

Opps!

Sir Lame of Rame will call you an anti-Celtic hater or just about any of about a dozen other personal epithets or scatalogical references because he doesn't like what he's said in the past or your opinions he doesn't agree with. This is because he's NOT an adult or a teacher but some HS kid who uses way too much clearasil...he brushes his teeth with it....nice touch SR of L...liar as well as attacker of all opinions other than yours

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from anguskahn. Show anguskahn's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You forgot Myles Turner.  So thats Okafur, Towns, Alexander and Turner.  Its very rare to have 4 bigs that good in one draft. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to FierceBrand's comment:

[QUOTE]

for

HAHAHA

[/QUOTE]

Correct, I never proposed a STRAIGHT UP Rondo for Monroe trade. Like I said. 

Adding draft picks and Spencer Dinwiddie while also dumping Wallace and Faverani is not a straight swap of players. 

Get it?

Man you come off like such a LOSER running around trying to find others to be wrong on things after they embarass and humiliate you, then once again the egg ends up all over your face. 

Sections
Shortcuts