Wouldn't have a drink with the guy BUT...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from johconn. Show johconn's posts

Wouldn't have a drink with the guy BUT...

..Danny is one tough dude in these types of negotiations. The man can play some game of chicken. He's handled this Doc stuff pretty damned well, and in the marketplace at least he's given the Celtics some cred and bit of a winning mentality unlike that weak as water Chris Wallace. Remember him? Oh mercy! People will debate Green/ Perkins, Antoine Walker, JR Giddens, Mark Blount (hold on, not much debate there), Will Bynum etc. He's a good lad is Danny.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Wouldn't have a drink with the guy BUT...

Danny is a Mormon.

He doesn't drink.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to chris33's comment:

Danny is a Mormon.

He doesn't drink.

exactly...unless you want to sip 7up.....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

Let's not give Danny too much credit for this.  Danny and everyone else knew the Clips would eventually have to include a first round pick and they did.  I wouldn't characterize Danny as a tough negotiator.  There is NO WAY the Clippers would NOT have added a first round pick.  They had too much to lose by holding firm on no draft picks.  Were we really going to give them Doc for nothing (or a 2nd round pick)?  Come on!

Now if Danny had held out for the more valuable 2014 first round pick instead of the 2015, THEN I might have considered him tough but he could not even hold out for that.

I give more credit to Chris Paul for this deal happening than Danny.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

you're missing part of the point petey. doc was under contract for 3 more years. THAT was the brilliant move. danny knew that our window would be long-closed before that deal was up and that teams would come calling for doc. brilliant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

katug, your reason justifies why it wasn't a brilliant move.  Danny took the first (second to Denver) offer rather than wait.  Danny could have simply sat on Doc's contract for the next 3 years and made the move best for the Celtics whenever that offer came.

But it wasn't Danny's move to make.  Doc had to agree to the team Danny would eventually grant permission to speak to Doc.  Had the Bobcats called, Danny would have had to deny permission knowing Doc would have no interest in coaching there.

But don't think for one second that Danny was brilliant for releasing Doc to the Clips.  The only reason this happened is because Doc wanted to go to LA.  I bet if Danny held out for other team's offers, we probably could have gotten a much better positioned first round pick.  Say, for example, had Danny gave Denver the same deal, who knows what we would have gotten back.  Had Danny waited for a request from a lottery-bound team to talk to Doc, THAT would have been considered a great move.  Not by simply allowing Doc to go where he wanted to go in return for a late first round pick in 2015.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

the smart move was signing doc so that he could not just walk away and we get nothing in return. that's the way it ends most of the time. but we're getting a pick for doc. smart. and of course it has to be a team he wants to go to. we can't trade him. he has to be willing to sign with the team that offers us compensation. so a team wants him, he wants to coach that team, but we hold his rights. therefore, we get something. smart.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Petey62. Show Petey62's posts

I see, that is correct.  Signing Doc to a 5 year contract was a good move especially when I hear all the reports that both side knew Doc would not be around for the entire 5 years as the Celtics rebounded.

Sorry I thought you considered this move of Doc to LA as being a genius move by Danny.

Good point.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kaktug. Show kaktug's posts

right, that's what i was trying to say.

Sections
Shortcuts