Wow !!!!! An era in Celtic lore vanished tonight.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

Wow !!!!! An era in Celtic lore vanished tonight.

I didn't get to watch the game until after midnight, I didn't know the outcome before I watched but, that isn't important. Minutes before I started watching the game I realized with much grevity that I was about to witness something I never had in my 50 years of being a basketball/ Celtic fan, a Celtic "legend" was going to step out on an NBA court in anything but a Celtic uniform.

I know I'm older than probaly 90% of most posters on this board and I know it is not to the priority of my analogy but imagine if you heard of a life long entity that has been a costant in a world of perpetual change that you knew had passed and  the reality didn't hit you until you visted the headstone that that was never to be again  I was pretty emotional at the beginning of the game. Russ never played in any other uni nor did Hondo,Tommy,Bird...... that happened on other teams but not the Celtics. I know it was just a preseason game but Wow!!!!!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

Re: Wow !!!!! An era in Celtic lore vanished tonight.

Danny made a great trade.

Dumped Pierce and Garnett and Terry and Rivers.

God bless Danny Ainge.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

I little over dramatic.... hope you can make it through the week.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I didn't get to watch the game until after midnight, I didn't know the outcome before I watched but, that isn't important. Minutes before I started watching the game I realized with much grevity that I was about to witness something I never had in my 50 years of being a basketball/ Celtic fan, a Celtic "legend" was going to step out on an NBA court in anything but a Celtic uniform.

I know I'm older than probaly 90% of most posters on this board and I know it is not to the priority of my analogy but imagine if you heard of a life long entity that has been a costant in a world of perpetual change that you knew had passed and  the reality didn't hit you until you visted the headstone that that was never to be again  I was pretty emotional at the beginning of the game. Russ never played in any other uni nor did Hondo,Tommy,Bird...... that happened on other teams but not the Celtics. I know it was just a preseason game but Wow!!!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Us older f@rts do get sentimental at times about our cherished legends. 

It was terribly jarring for me to see KG in a Brooklyn uni that first time. CPP too.

Pud

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from guesmem2011. Show guesmem2011's posts

Cowens played for the Bucks.  Cousy suited up for the Royals (now Kings).  Just sayin....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to guesmem2011's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cowens played for the Bucks.  Cousy suited up for the Royals (now Kings).  Just sayin....

[/QUOTE]

Both Cousy and Cowens retired as Celtics. Neither were traded away.

Pud

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from spewey. Show spewey's posts

Cowens got traded to the Bucks for Buckner

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

In response to spewey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cowens got traded to the Bucks for Buckner

[/QUOTE]

Cowens had already retired as a Celtic.

Two years later, he wanted out of retirement, the Cs still held his rights... so the Bucks did trade for the retired Cowens.

At that point, Cowens unretired, played for a year and then re-retired.

You are correct.

Pud

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Moving PP, KG and Doc was the best thing for the Celtics team and the fans.  Cold hard fact is that we are not, and should not be, a sentimental charity for ANY individual players at the expense of the organization or our competitiveness.  We gave them as much as they gave us.  I was a fan of PP and KG but was elated as soon as I heard of the trade.  It was in the best interest for the players and the Celtics.  

A new exciting era begins...      

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from guesmem2011. Show guesmem2011's posts

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:

[QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Jeeze, Did he not say  "a Celtic "legend" was going to step out on an NBA court in anything but a Celtic uniform".  Who cares whether they came out of retirement.  That's not what the OP said.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigsmellybear. Show bigsmellybear's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The world, and that includes pro-sports, is a different place than when we old timers were kids....it IS a shock to see these icons taking up shop for someone else while the memories of what they did for "US" are still fresh...but they are businesses in athletic shoes now, not just star players, and the greater the star the bigger the business they contain...they were commodities and the changes over the years prove that's what ownership always saw them  as, as we saw them as "ours", probably forever...WE have changed, and the players have changed by realizing they are going business concerns worth tens of million of $$$$$, too much money to simply say, "No, I'm done, I don't want that extra 12-20 million next year"...Could you say no to that, could I?..I doubt it, as long as you have kids and any kind of future....it's just how the world is....I don't think I can get used to it, but it is what it is and I accept it...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from puddinpuddin. Show puddinpuddin's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to puddinpuddin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Pud

[/QUOTE]

Jeeze, Did he not say  "a Celtic "legend" was going to step out on an NBA court in anything but a Celtic uniform".  Who cares whether they came out of retirement.  That's not what the OP said.....

[/QUOTE]

Can't you take "Yes you are correct" for an answer?

Is that a serious problem?

Pud

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Boo-friggin-hoo! I too am one of the older posters here and as such can say that I've watched EVERYTHING about the NBA change since those "good old days". Bigger business means less sentiment toward personnel decisions. The WIN NOW mentality has obliterated the nostalgia of the past. It is a "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?" culture vs. the "Thanks for the memories" loyalty of the old days. The machine is HUGE now and there ain't no going back.  C-ya!!! LETS GO CELTICS!

Sections
Shortcuts