Wow! Tony Allen makes the news.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

Wow! Tony Allen makes the news.

http://espn.go.com/nba/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

Re: Wow! Tony Allen makes the news.

Tony has been playing some good ball of late... Maybe he really was in the shadows of pierce and allen ... I am happy for him that his grizz are doing fine!

However I don't think he'll ever be an all star caliber player....not as on the level of Pierce , Ray or even Gay!

Though he is a good asset for some good D in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jump-ball-overtime. Show Jump-ball-overtime's posts

He has always shown glimpses of possible greatness, but they have usually been surrounded by bone head plays. Maybe now that he is playing more, he won't try to shine on an individual basis so hard, and greatness will happen more often.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichBelgium. Show MichBelgium's posts

I'll root for them when they battling likes as San Antonio and Lakers... Just as I'll root for OKC. Dunno... still a lot of respect for Perk and TA. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OneNation. Show OneNation's posts

Tony was always a good role player. Defensive stopper. He was a little to inconsistant on the offensive end. Good luck to him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I am a big fan of Danny and Doc. But I always thought not fully developing TA was Doc's biggest mistake. Granted, he played well in last years playoffs, and the Grizz offered more money, but TA could have/should have been resigned with bigger minutes this year as the back up to Allen and PP...getting 25-30 minutes per game.
    He could be the premier on ball defender in the league, and he is capable of offensive production depending on game flow.
    TA was a long time coming, but now that he has "arrived", he is one who I wish hadn't got away

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from teh-n00b. Show teh-n00b's posts

it's ironic that not having a quality backup for pierce was the reason for making this trade, when we let TA go

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Tony wasnt much of a player for us all the years he was a Celtic.

I sense TA getting the Perk treatment, in that his legend is growing with each day hes been gone.

Tony was a human turnover for most of his Celtic career. He was dangerous on the court but Doc kept him for a long time, kept giving hiim chances. TA finally paid some dividends last year in the playoffs. 

Hes a great 1on1 defensive player... and his offense came alive playing with Rondo on the break. That was TA's best stretch as a Celtic. But lets face facts. Most players that have been in his class for most of their NBA careers may show flashes of greatness.. most do at some point. The question is can they be consistent or is it a flash in the pan?

Tonys had years here and didnt get it done. Now hes getting a few good stats recently, good for him. However, look at his year as a whole.

I always cringed when TA was on the court.  He never developed for us except for that brief spot in the playoffs.  I dont blame DA for letting him go. You cant mortgage the future on a player who hasnt demonstrated consistency and a high level of play for the several years hes been on the roster...a strech of 15-20 games isnt enough

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In Response to Re: Wow! Tony Allen makes the news.:
    [QUOTE]Tony wasnt much of a player for us all the years he was a Celtic. I sense TA getting the Perk treatment, in that his legend is growing with each day hes been gone. Tony was a human turnover for most of his Celtic career. He was dangerous on the court but Doc kept him for a long time, kept giving hiim chances. TA finally paid some dividends last year in the playoffs.  Hes a great 1on1 defensive player... and his offense came alive playing with Rondo on the break. That was TA's best stretch as a Celtic. But lets face facts. Most players that have been in his class for most of their NBA careers may show flashes of greatness.. most do at some point. The question is can they be consistent or is it a flash in the pan? Tonys had years here and didnt get it done. Now hes getting a few good stats recently, good for him. However, look at his year as a whole. I always cringed when TA was on the court.  He never developed for us except for that brief spot in the playoffs.  I dont blame DA for letting him go. You cant mortgage the future on a player who hasnt demonstrated consistency and a high level of play for the several years hes been on the roster...a strech of 15-20 games isnt enough
    Posted by Karllost[/QUOTE]
    Karl,
    The point of my post is that while TA did not fully develop here in green, is that Doc's fault? TA has played himself into a core rotation player with the Grizz, at a time when Gay is out and Mayo is questionable. What TA brings to the table in my opinion is what the Celts have lacked this year. TA is getting points with in the flow of the game, and locking down players such as Durant and Westbrook. So the question begs, aside from injury, did TA not get it done due to bone head plays or improper use? His play this season points to improper use by the C's 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Should of given him the extra year and cash. 

Meh I am totally fine though with Green

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Shame on Doc and Danny, they didn't develop Tony Allen.  That's Right!

They only gave him  6,192 minutes of playing time.  Just enough time to earn the name of "Old Brainfart".  A turnover waiting to happen.  Cool

Tony showed some skill for short spurts, and then self-destructed.  He would brain-lock at the most inopertune times.  He was inconsistant, and couldn't be trusted in crunch time.  In the plyoffs, he played 11 minutes, and scored 3 Pts. a game.  Good "D" in stretches, but to much of a liability to have on the court.

Good Luck Tony. Ride this hot streak.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wow! Tony Allen makes the news. : Karl, The point of my post is that while TA did not fully develop here in green, is that Doc's fault? TA has played himself into a core rotation player with the Grizz, at a time when Gay is out and Mayo is questionable. What TA brings to the table in my opinion is what the Celts have lacked this year. TA is getting points with in the flow of the game, and locking down players such as Durant and Westbrook. So the question begs, aside from injury, did TA not get it done due to bone head plays or improper use? His play this season points to improper use by the C's 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

If anything, the Celtics were giving TA too many minutes over the years imo.

Obviously Doc saw something in him because I couldnt understand how he kept putting him out on the court. 

What I can point to is TA performed well in only a brief period while a Celtic...in the playoffs last season.. which also happened to be his contract year, you know how that sometimes goes.

So, my feeling is you cannot rely on a player who has only played well for only a short period of time over a several year career.  If TA is doing well now, thats great. We could have used his defense but you have to consider (based upon his career) how much we gave up with TA in other areas on the court.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kccorwin. Show kccorwin's posts

I'd much rather have Green. Tony Allen will never be a great player unless he can improve on the offensive end. He was injury prone and turned the ball over to much along with not having an outside shot. See Karllost

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Yes, I am aware if his nickname, minutes played and production in green. No one can dispute those facts. But TA is performing very well now with regular minutes, the coaches confidence and health.
    Did he not perform well in green due to coming back when not healthy, knowing Doc was waiting for a "brain cramp play" so he could pull him rendering TA tentative?
    My point is that Doc has done remarkable with the mental anguish of star ego's, star injuries etc...but when developing players with talent but not yet stars, Rondo and Perk seem to be the exception, not the rule.
    C's could have really used the TA we see now on the court.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Some guys need a fresh start.  He was here for seven years.  Just when he'd start to play well, he'd get hurt.  Doc even tried him at PG.  I disagree that he never got a chance to develop here.  They re-signed him the first time, despite his string of injuries.  He was given every opportunity in the world here.  Kudos to him for having a great week in Memphis, but let's see him do it for an extended period before we call him, "the one that got away."  We are better without him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I loved Tony Allen......as a defensive player, he is one of the best.  You guys must forgot though how horrible we looked with 2 non-shooters on the court.  If we didnt get out and run and had to run half-court set, teams would be playin us 5 on 3, and Danny didnt like that unbalance on offense, its bad enough teams still do to Rondo, but he has enough savvy with his passing and penetrating to somewhat negate that....but me peronally I feel Rondos shortcomings will once again rear their ugly head in the playoffs, and we wil have to either win and lose with his man not guarding him or humble him by putting in West more and at end of games....I know he is an all-star but you cant allow yourself to lose playoff games cuz players dont respect your pg's ability to shoot or make freebies...

We Shall see, but i am nervous about that

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from walk2run. Show walk2run's posts

It's probably a good thing he signed with Memphis.....heck DA would have traded him by now.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]Should of given him the extra year and cash.  Meh I am totally fine though with Green
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

I agree that Green is going to be a great player for the Celtics.  I also believe that if TA was still with the Celtics we wouldn't have traded Perkins.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]Some guys need a fresh start.  He was here for seven years.  Just when he'd start to play well, he'd get hurt.  Doc even tried him at PG.  I disagree that he never got a chance to develop here.  They re-signed him the first time, despite his string of injuries.  He was given every opportunity in the world here.  Kudos to him for having a great week in Memphis, but let's see him do it for an extended period before we call him, "the one that got away."  We are better without him.
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]
    Heddy,
    Given opportunities is not the same thing as developing talent. Especially when the opportunity given comes with looking over your shoulder after the first mistake thinking you have blown that opportunity.
    Also, the statement "we are better without him" insinuates that there is someone on the roster capable of chasing Wade, Kobe, JRichardson, Ginobli, Kidd. I am curious as to whom you think that person is? Ray Allen? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

10-11MEM571618.30.4960.3080.7360.91.52.41.11.60.51.22.37.8
    Career 3939818.40.4800.2950.7320.81.82.61.31.10.41.42.27.3

I fail to see what all the fuss is about....................he is who he is!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Can someone post the article please, or the juice parts at least?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wow! Tony Allen makes the news. : Heddy, Given opportunities is not the same thing as developing talent. Especially when the opportunity given comes with looking over your shoulder after the first mistake thinking you have blown that opportunity. Also, the statement "we are better without him" insinuates that there is someone on the roster capable of chasing Wade, Kobe, JRichardson, Ginobli, Kidd. I am curious as to whom you think that person is? Ray Allen? 
    Posted by rkarp[/QUOTE]

r,
    He was on terrible teams here.........and he started for those teams.  Doc was developing him, then he got hurt going for that dunk.  When he came back, he was never the same player offensively.  Many others on this thread have said the same thing.  Tony Allen had peaked as a player, he was never going to get any better............he is proving that now - check my post above.  He took the money and the better offer, good for him.

To answer your question, I believe Ray plays about 35 mins per game at the 2, is that accurate?

So, you don't think some combo of West,  Pavlovic, Wafer, Green or Arroyo could chase those guys for 13 mins?  AND, give us more offense and fewer turnonvers?  I'll take my chances with the new guys - but thanks for playing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wow! Tony Allen makes the news. : r, He was on terrible teams here.........and he started for those teams.  Doc was developing him, then he got hurt going for that dunk.  When he came back, he was never the same player offensively.  Many others on this thread have said the same thing.  Tony Allen had peaked as a player, he was never going to get any better............he is proving that now - check my post above.  He took the money and the better offer, good for him. To answer your question, I believe Ray plays about 35 mins per game at the 2, is that accurate? So, you don't think some combo of West,  Pavlovic, Wafer, Green or Arroyo could chase those guys for 13 mins?  AND, give us more offense and fewer turnonvers?  I'll take my chances with the new guys - but thanks for playing.
    Posted by hedleylamarr[/QUOTE]
    Heddy,
    You never fail to disappoint!
    "Tony Allen has peaked as a player, he was never going to get any better....he is proving that now"
    While I understand your player ratings are wildly popular, a more effective tool for those of us in this century is the "player efficiency rating". TA is currently the 10th rated SG at a per of 17.26. This "PER" ranks 76 SG in the league and TA is 10TH (Ray Allen is 9th) 
    "So don't you think that some combo of West, Pavlovic, Wafer, Green or Arroyo could chase those guys for 13 minutes?" 
    I do not. West is too small and not strong enough. I question if Pavlovic is on the 12 man playoff roster. Ditto Wafer. Arroyo is much too small and slow and Green is much to big and not quick enough to cover any of the players mentioned.
    Btw, Wafer's "PER" is #55 for all SG, Corey Brewer is #64 for all SG, Arroyo is #58 for all PG, Green is #54 for all PF. There's TA sitting at #9.
    Seems to me that is exactly what the Celts could have used for the playoffs.
    To get back on point, I feel Doc missed on TA, couldn't get the talent to translate on the court, where as the Grizz obviously (to all but you) did.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ortiz123. Show Ortiz123's posts

Im happy to se Tony (turnover) Allen doing well. We miss his defense, but not his offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

I'm sorry TA is a good player. I think he just didn't fit with the team and system. He has fit in well at Memphis they're about to make the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts