YOU are the Joke, Doc

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

YOU are the Joke, Doc

Remember all the "Fire Doc! " posts over the last few years? Well the original complaints are the same today and the primary reason the Celtics can't close the big games. 1. Doc does not give the bench, and especially rookies, enough minutes and an opportunity to gain experience and rest the old three tired legs. It took an injury and literally FORCED Doc to play Bradley to demonstrate his value. It could be argued that AB is one of our key players now and provides hope to make a meaningful push in the playoffs. 2. Doc has not been able to implement a workable end of half/game play with options after years of failure. How many times have we seen Rondo, of all people, dribble alone without any team movement, until he throws up a desparation 3 pointer, that never goes in at the end of half. There never seems to be a play at the end of a last possession, must score game. Its the predictable give it to Ray in the corner or give it to Pierce at the top of the key and watch them go one-on-one. Seldom works. 3. Similiar, but different from 1 above, Docs player management during games has been ineffective. His substitutions seem random and not related to game clock and matchup needs. The combination of tired big three legs at the end of games, results in defensive breakdowns and leaving Rondo in on the last play allows the defense to double up on go to guys. When mistakes are repeated over and over, and team play consistency is all over the map, it means the coach needs to be replaced.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from aciemvp. Show aciemvp's posts

Re: YOU are the Joke, Doc

his substitutions do seem awfully random at times.  look at steamers game chart.  minutes played almost zero to start the season.  then up, then down, then nothing again.  no consistency unti lhe's the last option.

all the while long the guy is healthy, was the defensive player of the year in the NBDL, clearly the best shotblocker on the roster, but doc did not get him any in-game rhythm.  should have started day one.

now we see steamer coming out with some good games and then some games that are addled by STUPID MISTAKES that he should have worked his way through in games 1-20 when he was riding pine.

now it's too late to "develop" steamer at the sacrifice of winning games, so we see this ingenius 3 or 4 guard line up and we get outrebounded by 10 or more each night.

TO THIS DAY, sometimes steamer plays 8 minutes, sometimes 25.  no young guy is going to hit a stride with that sort of usage.

pick a player on the roster and doc has done something similar.  how many DNP CD's does dooling have?  pavlocic?  he's the last healthy 3 we have off the bench, pietrus was a known higher than average injury risk coming into this year- he gets injured every year- it's just a question of how badly.  so doc iced pavlocic.  daniels is just not there any more- anyone could have figured that out by now so who's better- sasha or marquis.  i know the answer- doc acts like he doesn't.

we don't have the best pieces this year, that's for sure, but then compounding it by going out and NOT doing the best you can with those pieces is what i find unforgivable.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to YOU are the Joke, Doc:
    Remember all the "Fire Doc! " posts over the last few years? Well the original complaints are the same today and the primary reason the Celtics can't close the big games. 1. Doc does not give the bench, and especially rookies, enough minutes and an opportunity to gain experience and rest the old three tired legs. It took an injury and literally FORCED Doc to play Bradley to demonstrate his value. It could be argued that AB is one of our key players now and provides hope to make a meaningful push in the playoffs. 2. Doc has not been able to implement a workable end of half/game play with options after years of failure. How many times have we seen Rondo, of all people, dribble alone without any team movement, until he throws up a desparation 3 pointer, that never goes in at the end of half. There never seems to be a play at the end of a last possession, must score game. Its the predictable give it to Ray in the corner or give it to Pierce at the top of the key and watch them go one-on-one. Seldom works. 3. Similiar, but different from 1 above, Docs player management during games has been ineffective. His substitutions seem random and not related to game clock and matchup needs. The combination of tired big three legs at the end of games, results in defensive breakdowns and leaving Rondo in on the last play allows the defense to double up on go to guys. When mistakes are repeated over and over, and team play consistency is all over the map, it means the coach needs to be replaced.
    Posted by elDunker2

This is neither an endorsment of Doc or a criticism but wondering why he hasn't played Bradley until now is just silly.  Bradley has not played well at all until a month or so ago.  I saw him play last year in Portland with the NBDL and he even seemed overmatched then.  No one knew Bradley was going to play this way.

regardless he isn't going to be replaced.  He has a lot of respect around the NBA.  He's considered a good to very good coach.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sinus007. Show sinus007's posts

Eldunker,
    I hope your real name is not Dwight. I know that Doc's real name is not Stan (it's Glen). So, don't make a splash.
    Does Doc make mistakes - sure he does. But calling for his replacing is insanity.
    You're talking about inconsistency - have you followed the team this year? Practically no preseason: measly 10 days with half the roster, then one after another key players come and go, there were maybe half a dozen practices during the season, some with different faces than the other.
    I think with all this commotion Doc is doing a great job.

AK

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN. Show COMMUNIST-CONTRARIAN's posts

doc is the closest to belichick and joe torre that we have today! he's by far the BEST in the league and should be coach of the year! give me a break. who would play youngies over the guys we have right now? next season jj and moore will both be back and getting more minutes next season... they can play but they still make a lot of mistakes on both ends of the court esp on defense. even steams does too but we have no alternative. we have better alternatives elsewhere

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from elDunker2. Show elDunker2's posts

Wait, you didn't just say Doc is the best coach "by far" in the NBA?!?! You probably think Rondo is the best PG in the league as well...sigh... So by your logic, don't play the bench because they may make mistakes (even though more play time should reuce mistakes later in the season), but play the old guys because they will make fewer mistakes, but their bodies will wear down by the playoffs, but you can't use the bench because they don't have experience. Yeah, that logic makes sense...maybe to Doc.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

I'm with Communist.  I think Pop is the best coach in the league and Doc is second.  Doc is calling it right when he says this team did not come out tough in the second half and just got punked.  Doc won't call any names but I will.  Pierce is the primary player who got punked.  He played like crap in the second half of the Bulls game and just provided almost no resistence.

I love Paul Pierce.  His talent is immense and often underrated.  But, he sometimes just goes away against tougher players these days and he did it against Deng on both ends.  The rest of the team did, as well but Peirce was the worst and then came Bass.  KG cannot hold down the fort inside by himself and since Danny decided to go with no good big men, the rest of the forwards (Paul and Bass) have to step up.  KG had 14 rebounds.  Bass had....wait on it:   FIVE.  How do you play 34 minutes and get 5 rebounds.  At one point, Noah went up between TWO Celtics and grabbed the ball while we watched.

Doc is not the problem.  Through all the injuries and new players, he's figured out how to make the Celtics a factor again this year, but when Deng, Boozer, Noah, and Watson (WATSON, for goodness sakes!!) play MORE minutes than us and have more fire than we did - call it like it is - the players folded.

I believe they will bounch back because they have a lot of pride, but each time they do this, the price of losing a game just really really hurts our chances in the first round playoffs home court battle.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

In Response to Re: YOU are the Joke, Doc:
    his substitutions do seem awfully random at times.  look at steamers game chart.  minutes played almost zero to start the season.  then up, then down, then nothing again.  no consistency unti lhe's the last option. all the while long the guy is healthy, was the defensive player of the year in the NBDL, clearly the best shotblocker on the roster, but doc did not get him any in-game rhythm.  should have started day one. now we see steamer coming out with some good games and then some games that are addled by STUPID MISTAKES that he should have worked his way through in games 1-20 when he was riding pine. now it's too late to "develop" steamer at the sacrifice of winning games, so we see this ingenius 3 or 4 guard line up and we get outrebounded by 10 or more each night. TO THIS DAY, sometimes steamer plays 8 minutes, sometimes 25.  no young guy is going to hit a stride with that sort of usage. pick a player on the roster and doc has done something similar.  how many DNP CD's does dooling have?  pavlocic?  he's the last healthy 3 we have off the bench, pietrus was a known higher than average injury risk coming into this year- he gets injured every year- it's just a question of how badly.  so doc iced pavlocic.  daniels is just not there any more- anyone could have figured that out by now so who's better- sasha or marquis.  i know the answer- doc acts like he doesn't. we don't have the best pieces this year, that's for sure, but then compounding it by going out and NOT doing the best you can with those pieces is what i find unforgivable.
    Posted by aciemvp

PLENTY of young guys hit their stride playing inconsistent minutes.  Bradley has played well almost all year and his minutes have varied.  Look at Watson last night. Sometimes he plays 10 minutes and sometimes 30.  Tell Moore and JJJ to learn to play D since we are a defensive team.   Doc is not the issue - young players fare well in his system once they learn to play his way (see second or 3rd years of Bradley, Davis, Rondo, Perkins, Gomes, Jefferson, etc).   

Our players plays LESS minutes than their starters so I don't by the "they were tired" excuse, either.  We just had a stinky game.  That's it.

We will do better next game.  Watch and see doesn't this coach get them motivated with what he is doing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sk8brd. Show sk8brd's posts

Can someone please fire this coach.  Doc s**ks.  The joke is that he thinks he is such a great coach, but he really s**ks.  He ought to look at himself in the mirror for once instead of putting the blame on the players.  He wouldn't admit he got outcoached by Thibodeau.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill24. Show JamezHill24's posts

you kidding? Doc is the second best coach in the league IMO..

i would play some of the bench more, but other than that? outstanding coach..his play calling is second to noone, thats well known. the way he draws plays out of timeouts is pure genius.

we wanted Ray on the bench, he has made the move. how can you be mad at him for calling out the team when they needed to be called out?

last night the C's played like they were okay with being close in a game with the Bulls, and thats what Doc was saying.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Actually I think the Doc/Rondo comparisons are pretty viable. Both have real flaws but both have great strengths. I'll put them both in the upper tier but one below the top tier. 

One thing Doc has going for him: no one draws up a late game play better than him. He's also a master motivator. Playing the younger guys and getting tough with the vets are not his strengths.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karllost. Show Karllost's posts

Im not that crazy about Doc either..  His rotations make no sense to me.. Many times on th epast he's removed a bench hot hand (never to be seen again) and replaced with the starter.. He swore the last few seasons to greatly limit the vets minutes and of course, he can help himself.

Doc had some props a year or 2 ago for devising great end of game plays.. like Rondo's ally oop... yes we come to find out on several occassions it was the players over ruling Doc on what to do.  Now end of half/game its let Rondo run down the clock and chuck a bomb or PP iso  or hit Ray coming off a pick. Sometimes successful, sometimes not but surely nothing new

The C's have been the most severely struck team injury wise the last few years.  Our depth has always been forced to rise to the occassion...yet each season our bench is toyed with...many DNP's, many minutes all over the place.. then when we need help, these guys rotting on the bench cant be expeted to deliver. 

Now AB has developed and getting minutes and Steamer too.... but Doc cause Doc recognized their contributions..its because of injuries we're forced to use them. Just like BBD emerged after KGs knee injury... or he'd still be rotting on the C's bench.

Lastly, can Doc really criticize the Celts lack of intensity or hustle during the Bulls game?  Who's more responsible for getting the players ready for games? Yea, Doc.  So Doc, criticize yourself, not the players,  for not doing your job.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Celtsfan4life. Show Celtsfan4life's posts

Come on, Karllost, be objective in your assessment.  Some points are good but some are just not objective:

1. Doc was playing Bradley more BEFORE the injury to Ray and Pietrus, to be honest and we all liked how Bradley was doing.  Clearly, Bradley's development was recognized FIRST by Doc.  Most on this Board (including me) said why is he getting any minutes instead of Moore and we thought he'd never make it.  Then, he and Doc showed what he can do.  So, it didn't start, Karl, with the injury.

2. As for blaming the players - he did blame himself.  He said "first, its on me for not seeing it".  Then, he also blamed the players - and I agree with him.  The good coaches all call it like they see it.  He got in their buts .  However, its clear that very little moves Mr. Bass to rebound and Pierce just go punked in the Chicago game.  Doc's smart enough not to call names but I bet he was talking about Pierce and Bass.  They came out in the beginning of the second half too cocky and too slow and got a beatdown by the Bulls.  We didn't wake up until late in the game and tried to cme back.

3. Lastly, your criticism is that he hasn't played the bench?   Look at the bench he keeps getting burdened with due to the injuries.  Shaq, JON, Perk, Rondo, West, Green, Wilcox, Pietrus, etc.....all get major injuries so he's supposed to play Sasha, Arroyo, Murphy, Wafer, and 2 rookies a lot more than give more minutes to the starters?   Really?  You think we would have fared better against Miami last year if KG, Ray, and Paul had played say 4 less minutes a game?  Get real, Miami kicked our butts because they had the better team and we were missing all of our size (read, rebounding and interior game).   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptChris. Show CaptChris's posts

Gentlemen:  Might I suggest that you look at the Spurs bench.  You know the guys who put 44 points and 30 rebounds against the Celtics.  Think Doc could coach them?

Think Doc could coach players from foreign countys?  You know the ones that Danny has ignored for years.  OOPS!   

Cosensus is that Pop is the best Coach and Doc is 2nd. 

Doc's best attribute is designing plays off time-outs.  Problem is execution and Old Age.

Sections
Shortcuts