You know what? We MISS Stiemsma!!! Badly!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: You know what? We MISS Stiemsma!!! Badly!

In response to bt33's comment:

In response to aciemvp's comment:

BT33- you have a point- but trust me- look at steamer and look at the celts.  WHO screwed themselves is readily apparent to me.  big men get paid easily in the nba.  just ask omer asik.  8 million bucks.  so for he's doing good for houston with 10pts / 12 rebs a night.  we should have / could have paid steamer the money if, oh, let's say, KG signs for shack money or even TWICE shack money then the rubber bands and paper clips don't fly off danny's budget and we get stuck with the living statue jason collins.

true. there's no doubt they prioritized the money and didn't leave much room to fill the big men slots with decent big men and wound up with a couple scrap heap guys. collins was not a good solution and obviously darko didn't pan out (I liked the darko pick-up when it happened). the darko thing remains more than a little confusing, but we're not there behind the scenes, and the guy has always been something of an enigma. I actually don't think KG's 11 and 12 is that crazy. sure, they overpayed, but there's no doubt he's an 10 per guy. he's still very productive and the team falls apart when he's not on the court (in garnett's case i think there would have been more than one taker at that price). yes, pierce is overpayed too, clearly, by at least 3-5 million, and it'll only get worse next year when he makes 15-plus. courtney lee at 5 isn't too outrageous. they may not be getting that value exactly, but it's clear he has a skill set that could make him a valuable player in the next few years, or at the very least trade bait. so far the worst value is jeff green. didn't understand the contract when they signed it, and still don't. thought he was a 2 @ 14 guy at the most and not sure there would have been any other suitors out there for his services after the way he played pre-heart surgery. it's hard to pinpoint exactly what led to not acquiring additional quality big men. all in all still think ainge did a solid job of trying to build the team into a contender, though the two spots that seem to get missed was that big guy (a role stiemsma could have filled) and a back-up pg. overall, things do not look good so far, but the proof will come at the end of the season. hope there's at least one move coming for a big man because the team can't win anything with the roster as currently comprised. 

The point that acie was trying to make that I agree with is that KG could have signed for a small amount of money, similar to what Shaq did when he signed with the Celtics.  Of course, KG would/could have had offers from other teams, but he was really trying to win a championship, he should have insisted that he be paid $2 or $3 million.  This would have left the Celtics a considerable amount to sign another big man that would have really helped.  Similar to Shaq, KG doesn't need the money.  It has nothing to do with how much he is worth. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/711373-nba-power-rankings-shaq-and-the-top-career-earners-in-nba-history

This article states that Shaq and KG are #1 and #2 in earnings in their careers amongst NBA players.  Just the point that I was trying to make that KG doesn't need the money.  He will probably be retiring in a couple of years.  If winning another championship is really his top priority, it would been better for him to earn less money and have that money available for the Celtics to improve their roster. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bt33. Show bt33's posts

Re: You know what? We MISS Stiemsma!!! Badly!

In response to susan250's comment:

In response to bt33's comment:

In response to aciemvp's comment:

BT33- you have a point- but trust me- look at steamer and look at the celts.  WHO screwed themselves is readily apparent to me.  big men get paid easily in the nba.  just ask omer asik.  8 million bucks.  so for he's doing good for houston with 10pts / 12 rebs a night.  we should have / could have paid steamer the money if, oh, let's say, KG signs for shack money or even TWICE shack money then the rubber bands and paper clips don't fly off danny's budget and we get stuck with the living statue jason collins.

true. there's no doubt they prioritized the money and didn't leave much room to fill the big men slots with decent big men and wound up with a couple scrap heap guys. collins was not a good solution and obviously darko didn't pan out (I liked the darko pick-up when it happened). the darko thing remains more than a little confusing, but we're not there behind the scenes, and the guy has always been something of an enigma. I actually don't think KG's 11 and 12 is that crazy. sure, they overpayed, but there's no doubt he's an 10 per guy. he's still very productive and the team falls apart when he's not on the court (in garnett's case i think there would have been more than one taker at that price). yes, pierce is overpayed too, clearly, by at least 3-5 million, and it'll only get worse next year when he makes 15-plus. courtney lee at 5 isn't too outrageous. they may not be getting that value exactly, but it's clear he has a skill set that could make him a valuable player in the next few years, or at the very least trade bait. so far the worst value is jeff green. didn't understand the contract when they signed it, and still don't. thought he was a 2 @ 14 guy at the most and not sure there would have been any other suitors out there for his services after the way he played pre-heart surgery. it's hard to pinpoint exactly what led to not acquiring additional quality big men. all in all still think ainge did a solid job of trying to build the team into a contender, though the two spots that seem to get missed was that big guy (a role stiemsma could have filled) and a back-up pg. overall, things do not look good so far, but the proof will come at the end of the season. hope there's at least one move coming for a big man because the team can't win anything with the roster as currently comprised. 

The point that acie was trying to make that I agree with is that KG could have signed for a small amount of money, similar to what Shaq did when he signed with the Celtics.  Of course, KG would/could have had offers from other teams, but he was really trying to win a championship, he should have insisted that he be paid $2 or $3 million.  This would have left the Celtics a considerable amount to sign another big man that would have really helped.  Similar to Shaq, KG doesn't need the money.  It has nothing to do with how much he is worth. 

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/711373-nba-power-rankings-shaq-and-the-top-career-earners-in-nba-history

This article states that Shaq and KG are #1 and #2 in earnings in their careers amongst NBA players.  Just the point that I was trying to make that KG doesn't need the money.  He will probably be retiring in a couple of years.  If winning another championship is really his top priority, it would been better for him to earn less money and have that money available for the Celtics to improve their roster. 

the clarification was unnecessary. I understood the point, but was trying to avoid it because it's not logical at its base. but since there are two people pounding it home...

there are several problems with the assertion. one, comparing KG at this point and the point where Shaq was in his career is ridiculous. they were not close to the same stage from a perfromance standpoint. shaq had one foot out of the league, riddled with nagging injuires, and was struggling to get up and down the court. KG is still a VERY productive player. A top 30 player perhaps. o'neal saw it as his best chance to win and more importantly - his options were limited. it wasn't coming from a place of largesse. it was about his legacy and wanting to add another championship. how much do you think he was worth in the open market? did he take a discount to make it work here. sure, he left a few million on the table. but again, boston was his sixth team (garnett has played in two places in his career) and at that point was a mercenary. he went to the place he felt would benefit him the most. 

the second problem is that professional athletes get paid to do what they have trained to do - play basketball. there are only a select number of people in the world who can do it. and because it's a profession with a lot of money on the line they have agents and obtain contracts. the owners make money, in some cases lots of money. it is therefore not the habit of pro athletes to take ridiculously de-valued contracts. now, a chris bosh, and dwayne wade, and lebron james might decide to take a contract worth a few million less a year to play in the place they want for the money they want, or another athlete might decide staying in one place and not uprooting his family, and/or getting long term security and guarenteed money, is worth fewer dollars per year or overall, but for the most part though athetes go where they are paid the most when they have the opportunity. the rules in all sports regarding free agency, and their own mortality when it comes to aging and injury, limit their windows and so overhwleming they cash in when they can. it's a short shelf life and when its over its over. some can coach or go into the front office or work on tv or radio, but for the most part they will never see that kind of money again.

by not testing the waters of free agency, where he would likely have commanded more (or at least the same) money, KG did show his loyalty and commitment to being in this city. as in every other profession, what he makes or has made is completely irrelevant. the market said he could demand what he did and that's what dictates what he should be paid. nothing at all wrong with that and to assert otherwise is silly. from there you can just say why doesn't every pro athelete on every team take significantly less money so his team can win? it just doesn't hold up in the slightest. why is kevin garnette different from any other player in pro sports? look at big papi. loved in boston and no player has spent more time moaning and groaning about the money he shuld make or needs to make or sin't making etc. garnett never opens his mouth, just goes out every night and tries to win. 

to clarify further, wanting to win in a particular city, caring, being a pro,  and being paid something resembling market value are not at all mutually exclusive concepts.

Sections
Shortcuts