Young Guns

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Young Guns

Celtic fans ..all is not lost ....do not rule out possible early contributions from Bradley, Harongody, and Erden. Harongody looked real good during summer league play. Erden looked ok; he showed flashes offensivley while facing up to the basket. Bradley to me is the real sleeper. This kid was rated higher that J. Wall coming out of high school. I think once he gets his ankle issue behind him he will hit the gym with allot to prove. 

I predict one of these players will have a positive impact on this years team. I think it will be Bradley; like TA coming out of college, this kid can D-up in the pros right now.

Thoughts??

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Duke4. Show Duke4's posts

Re: Young Guns

This is the only point I don't like about Doc's coaching philosophy.....didn't we start Dave Cowens immediately?  .....Westphall didn't play as much as he should have....but look at Bird, McHale, Ainge, Lewis...Bias certainly would've been in the rotation.....when did we stop going with the young guys we drafted?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

I also like to see young talent for the C's. Bradley looks very intriguing. I would love to see him get the backup 2 spot. I've seen highlights of him and he looks like a terrific player and an unbelievable athlete.
        Harangody looked promising during the summer league. He has some obvious strengths and weaknesses. Hopefully he improves his weaknesses. His strengths were rebounding, catch and shoot and shooting off the dribble. At times he had poor shot selection such as shooting 20 foot turnaround jump shots that ended up as air balls. With big Clifford coaching him, I think he could be a good NBA player.
        Erden looked lousy during the summer league. We will see more of him this October.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I agree, Harangody needs to work a bit on his shot selections (what was with those turn-around 20-foot jumpers). I thought he looked fairly fluid, moving side to side on defense. Hopefully he improves and contributes by season's end.

In addition, Erden did not look his best, but in all fairness he may have been a bit jet lagged from his flights: Turkey to Boston and Boston to Orlando. He also looked lost on defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

I keep seeing all these crazy ideas about what Bradley is. You might be the 1st one to get it right, the kid is a 1st class wing defender. He is not the point, Nate is. Infact, according to some Celtic scouts he might never play point.....Think Raja Bell but a better athlete w/offensive upside. DA drafted this kid w/the idea they were not going to be bringing TA back. Luke Harangody has been the sleeper. He looks great. I didn't think he'd have the quicks to play the 3. Did you know he is the only player in Big East history to average 20 & 10 over 4 years? That is impressive. DA might have landed the steal of the draft.......Erden? eeeeek, I'd like to think he has some game bc he moves very well for a big man. From what i read & watch though he is kinda soft. One article i read called him Pau Gasol but sorfter with no post moves. I don't recall the name of the kid but we had another Euro on the summer team that most people felt outplayed Erden. But i guess you gotta give Erden time to adjust to the NBA game too......If you ask me Harangody is going to be the rookie that cracks Doc's roster.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mem17. Show mem17's posts

In response to Red Doc: I thought the same thing about Harangody in terms of playing the 3 spot. It appears that he may be lacking the speed to play that position as you mentioned. His height at 6'7 or maybe 6'8 concerns me at power forward. He's not a jumper. Another one of his weaknesses was the ability to finish down low. Much like Big Baby, at 6'7, he lacks the jumping ability to finish consistently with bigs around him around the basket.
         Big Baby led the NBA last season in getting his shot blocked per minutes played. Just a concern of mine with Harangody also.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Waynestarr. Show Waynestarr's posts

In Response to Re: Young Guns:
    I think Doc is going to use these guys during the regular season.  I think Doc is going to put the Big Three under stricter minute guidelines and then develop the bench.  This is the fourth year with the core group and two trips to the championship; we know what they are capable of; now it is time to develop the bench.  I am five as long as we finish as a top four seed.  I say develop the bench...
    Posted by ShepherdCall

Good points.

Too bad Doc doesn't like to develop young talent. That's his modus operandi unfortunately.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from igotgyroballs. Show igotgyroballs's posts

In response to Red Doc: I thought the same thing about Harangody in terms of playing the 3 spot. It appears that he may be lacking the speed to play that position as you mentioned. His height at 6'7 or maybe 6'8 concerns me at power forward. He's not a jumper. Another one of his weaknesses was the ability to finish down low. Much like Big Baby, at 6'7, he lacks the jumping ability to finish consistently with bigs around him around the basket.      Big Baby led the NBA last season in getting his shot blocked per minutes played. Just a concern of mine with Harangody also.
    Posted by mem17

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from igotgyroballs. Show igotgyroballs's posts

I agree that BBD and Harangody are both undersized 4's and not quick enough to play the 3 but Harangody showed me he has some serious range that BBD lacks.  I think he will be able to get his shot in the NBA

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcap99. Show edcap99's posts

You forget that Doc doesn't play rookies unless he has to....
    Posted by damfuno
    I agree. Doc doesn't seem to have the patience to develop rookies, and he certainly doesn't have the confidence in them to allow significant playing time. I won't be surprised if the likes of Harangody and Erden have short-lived Celtic careers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I think Doc understands he has older players that can no longer log 40-minutes a game. Currently his options coming off of the bench include: NR at point, AB at shooting guard, MD at small forward, BBD at power forward, and most likely Erden (or possibly a vetran for hire) at center. In addition, Harangody can play either small and or power forward, depending on match-ups.

If the starters log 32-mins. a night, that leaves 16-mins. of playing time for the second unit. Regarding the second unit and scoring, look out for the pick and roll with Shrek and Donkey!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shines01. Show shines01's posts

They say you can't coach size.

It's nice to have prototypical power forwards like Tim Duncan, but that's not the way it works.  I remember a game two years ago in Houston before Yao wrecked his foot or wahtever he did, anyway, they threw BBD in as backup center against Yao.  Yao looked at him taking the floor and started to laugh when he realized he was gonna be guarded by Davis.  As I recall...if I'm not mistaken...not gonna bother to check but I think the Celts won that one as 4 of 5 during that annual February Western swing.  Davis just did his job.  Position, RUN, box, slide, show, drop...Thibodeau style.  I think Yao crushed him but the point is...

The point is the Celts beat the Rockets.  And they did a similar job in Houston a year before; in fact they inside-outed Yao so badly he was looking at the bench for sympathy.

Simple fact is this:  we have the most important position covered:  point guard.  Not only a great offensive pass-first-minded point guard, but also an All NBA Defensive point guard in Rajon Rondo.  It's too bad we didn't draft the second coming of Amare Stoudamire but if the new 'bigs' wanna run the floor a little and play some fundamentally sound defense they will do very well.  Just like Glen Davis has.  Learn a pick and roll and Pierce or Rondo WILL find you.

I'm sorry to hear Erden is lost on D.

I think the Celts will be like surgeons next season.  They will be delicate experts on offense.  My concern is the loss of Perk and Garnett's durability and how that affects their standard defense.

It's really hard to see where the NBA is going next season.  I think it will take until Christmas to shake out the chaff.  The mega-team and free agents shipping off to everywhere is as if someone threw a hand grenade into the pool.

Lastly, how can we get Gerald Wallace in a green uniform?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

Regarding Erden, we will get a better look at him in August, during the World Championships, in Istanbul, Turkey. The Turkish team will be on center stage as they try to win the tournament, on their home soil.  

Hope is that we see a mobile, motivated, aggressive, smart, Semih Erden. A 5 who attacks the basket on offense, defends his position well, rebounds on both ends of the court, and passes out of double teams. In addition, I am hoping to see a 5 that can run up and down the floor for more than 10-minutes without looking completely exhausted, as Erden did earlier this month, during summer league, in Orlando, FL.

I am guessing DA will be in attendance and or watching closely from afar. This will be Erden's chance to make a lasting positive impression with C's brass.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHEisCHE. Show CHEisCHE's posts

Docs philosophy: "let's get old and gets older.....more"

Young guns,   shoot yourself..no need to apply.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bayareaceltfan. Show bayareaceltfan's posts

bradley may be a beast on defense, but there are a lot of things standing in his way to being a contributor next year.
    - he'll only be able to guard pg's & smaller sg's since he's slightly built at 6'3", 180 lbs
    - rivers has a mistrust in rookies, let alone a point guard rookie
    - he's not going to get many calls in his favor as a rookie, limiting his defensive aggressiveness
    - he has an inconsistent jumpshot beyond midrange
    - he doesn't shoot free-throws well

harangody played terrifically in summer league. unfortunately, there wasn't much talent at the orlando league versus the las vegas league where the competition level was a little higher. but he did fill up the stat sheets consistently while at notre dame so hopefully that carries over. he's got better range on his shot than big baby but i wonder if he'll be able to guard 4's and 5's in the post like baby can or more athletic 3's and 4's on the outside which baby is surprisingly pretty good at. during summer league the one thing he proved he can't do is operate down low in the post offensively...he relied mainly on a quick jumphook on the low block and not much else. like baby, he won't be able to out-jump anyone when surrounded down low, two feet from the basket.

erden actually surprised me with this athleticism...he looked pretty fluid in the 2 games i saw him in summer league. he showed some aggressiveness on both ends of the floor and he shot his free-throws with a nice touch. naturally, you put him against nba talent and he'll probably wilt like a flower at this point so i don't think he'll contribute much this year but maybe he'll develop down the road. 

the big center on the summer league team, parakhouski, certainly meets the eye-test...that dude is well built! he grabbed a lot of boards and played with some tenacity. i think he deserves a better look as does deshawn sims, an athletic foward.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BCSP. Show BCSP's posts

I agree, there was some good young talent on the C's summer league roster. Sims did something to impress each game that he played.