Your Celtics 2014 top 10 picks

1.Embiid-7'0 (Olajuwan skillset)

2.Parker-6'8 (Melo skillset )

3.Smart-6'4(DWade skillset)

4.Vonleh-6'10 (CBosh skillset)

5.Randle- 6'9 (Zach Randolph skillset)

6.Wiggins-6'8 (Paul George skillset)

7.Gordon-6'8 (Ron Artest skillset )

8.McDermott-6'7 (Wally Sczerbiak/ Kyle Korver)

9.Napier-6'1 (Jarryd Bayless/ Steph Curry skillset)

10.Early-6'8 (Jamal Mashburn skillset) 

*Exum (Ron Harper skillset) looks skilled but soft and too many unknowns for me.

*Frank Kaminsky (Pau Gasol skillset) would be in my top 10 if he declares.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Re: Your Celtics 2014 top 10 picks

These format changes always ruin the experience. Why? Leave it alone. This site was sooooo much better 7 years ago!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

OK, so PHI likes Wiggins..............

MIL likes Embiid

ORL needs a PG (Exum or Smart)

Parker COULD BE had at #4 in that scenario........

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I think Exum could be a bust. Not likely but there could easily be 10 players better than him out of this draft when we look back on it. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

1. Parker

2. Wiggins

3. Embid

4. Exum

5. Smart

6. Harris

7. Ennis

8. Hood

9. McDermott

10.Hairston

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to Mployee8's comment:

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Nope. I didn't forget Randle.  We're reasonably set at PF and have big needs at G and SF.  Randle is unproven and has no real trade value right now.  Sully is better than a redundant Randle.  I only pick Randle if I'm trading Sully and why trade a proven budding star with a good contract and insert an unproven player in his place while you have so many other positions to fill???  

1. Parker

2. Wiggins

3. Embid

4. Exum

5. Smart

6. Harris

7. Ennis

8. Hood

9. McDermott

10.Hairston

U forgot Randle ... he doesn't make the grade at all ... even for his trade value?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

could we space out those names a little more?  almost too much to take in all at once.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The player comparisons are far too lofty on most of these guys. Maybe 'skillset' as far as saying "Embiid plays a lot like Olajuwon in some of his moves" but there will never be another Dream. The guy was unreal. My more realistic comparisons to likely career statistical impact:

1. Embiid - Mourning/Camby

2. Wiggins - A Rudy Gay that plays defense

3. Parker - Glenn Robinson (Melo is pretty solid though, Mashburn fits here too)

4. Exum - Derek Harper/Brian Shaw with a Penny Hardaway ceiling

5. Randle - Carlos Boozer with a Zach Randolph pre-injury Antonio McDyess ceiling

6. Smart - Fat Lever/Dennis Johnson (if they had modern weight training, haha)

7. Gordon - Shawn Marion/Andrei Kirilinko

8. Vonleh - Derrick McKey/Cliff Robinson if he stays skinny and shoots those J's (not quite Bosh) or P.J. Brown/Dale Davis if his body develops and he improves his already good rebounding/shot blocking abilities

9. Harris - A shorter Michael Redd/Eddie Jones... maybe like a Hersey Hawkins. I doubt he will be that good though. I expect he'll be 80% of what Bradley Beal is or what Eric Gordon was in LA.

10. I'd take Saric, Ennis, Anderson, Young, Payne and Hairston before McDermott, but for the sake of comparisons I seem him as a Luke Jackson/Pat Garrity type. Or mesh Kyle Korver's SF abilities (with worse defense) with Luke Harangody's locked to the ground PF abilities (but with worse rebounding). So a mesh of all that, 80% of Wally Z. worthy of pick 16-24 but will go much higher and likely never be a solid starter.

Early has James Posey written all over him (Mashburn? no way)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to billge's comment:

could we space out those names a little more?  almost too much to take in all at once.

Its the stupid forum changes

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

At the very worst, I'd be happy with an ALL MASSACHUSETTS DRAFT of Vonleh (Haverhill) and Napier (Groton).

Napier can replace Bayless as the back up combo guard so he can fill in for Rondo or Bradley playing alongside Rondo or Pressey.

He will not be as big a liability on D at the 2 as you think because he intercepts entry  passes and strips taller ball handlers.

Plus posting up 2 guards for most teams is taking them out of their offense. A lot of 2's dont pass well out of the post believe it or not.

Napier will have to play ball hawk D against 6-4 and over.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

The new forum style is very annoying.

As far as Boston's pick is concerned, if it is in the 5-7 range I am leaning towards Gordon. He matched his age in rebounds in the Elite 8 (18) and doesn't turn 19 until the Fall. His FT shooting is def awful, but he has better than most think 3 point shooting and the work ethic and great character to improve rapidly.

The Shawn Marion comparisons are good ones. Matrix was just a 10p/6.5r/1.4a/0.7s guy his rookie year (age 21, not age 19 year as well) and shot 19% from 3. Gordon can defend and board at the next level from day 1, and while he may never be an 80% FT shooter he will likely have better assist and 3 point shooting percentages. Marion had a 6 year prime in Phoenix of 19-21 points, 9-11 rebounds, 2 assist, 2 steal, 1.5 block seasons (4 all-star games) ages 23-28 before being traded for Shaq. I bet those will be Gordon's #'s ages 21-31.

Some here who knock him (McBuckets over Gordon? Really?) laugh at a Blake Griffin comparison, wrongly looking at the two players stats entering the draft... when Blake was 18 months older than Gordon when drafted. They had comparable stats as freshman and when Griffin was Gordon's age during the NCAA tournament it was his first couple weeks on campus before playing a college game.

“The commercial class has always mistrusted verbal brilliancy and wit, deeming such qualities, perhaps with some justice, frivolous and unprofitable.”

- Red Auerbach

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

In response to DaCeltics' comment:

At the very worst, I'd be happy with an ALL MASSACHUSETTS DRAFT of Vonleh (Haverhill) and Napier (Groton).

I'd be happy with this if:

A. Rondo was traded (regardless of when and for who as long as the value is solid)

B. Vonleh is closer to 6'11" and not 6'8" and the team sees him as a PJ Brown/Dale Davis PF-C who will be given half the year in the D-league to develop. If he is shorter and projects as a jump shooting Cliff Robinson/Derrick McKey PF we do not need that.

C. Green/Bass trades also go down by the deadline and the C's 'tank' for one more year

C - Fav/Olynyk

PF - Sully/Bass (until traded and Vonleh promoted)

SF - Green (until traded), Johnson

SG - Avery/Bayless (likely a player we get for Rondo will be a wing big SG or a SF)

PG - Pressey/Napier

That team is lotto bound again

[object HTMLDivElement]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I love Napier. I think most here know I'm a UConn fan.

He has some Bayless in him. He def is not a Steph Curry skillset player as far as being a different style (and slighty better) defender and playmaker but not even in his realm as far as shooter/scorer. 

I see a Derek Fisher career if asked to be a starting PG on a team with a couple superstars where he has to be level-headed, get along with everyone, and wait to hit open 3's. An 11p/6a/4r guy.

I see a Nick Van Exel career if asked to be a combo-guard 6th man on a more traditional team with maybe 1-2 all-stars and a deep 1-8 rotation. He'd be expected to give like 14p/4a/2r.

I don't see a need if Rondo is here, unless he truly is an instant upgrade to Pressey (other than 3 point shooting he really isn't) and Phil was included in a trade while his value was high.

“The commercial class has always mistrusted verbal brilliancy and wit, deeming such qualities, perhaps with some justice, frivolous and unprofitable.”

- Red Auerbach

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

The new forum style is very annoying.

As far as Boston's pick is concerned, if it is in the 5-7 range I am leaning towards Gordon. He matched his age in rebounds in the Elite 8 (18) and doesn't turn 19 until the Fall. His FT shooting is def awful, but he has better than most think 3 point shooting and the work ethic and great character to improve rapidly.

The Shawn Marion comparisons are good ones. Matrix was just a 10p/6.5r/1.4a/0.7s guy his rookie year (age 21, not age 19 year as well) and shot 19% from 3. Gordon can defend and board at the next level from day 1, and while he may never be an 80% FT shooter he will likely have better assist and 3 point shooting percentages. Marion had a 6 year prime in Phoenix of 19-21 points, 9-11 rebounds, 2 assist, 2 steal, 1.5 block seasons (4 all-star games) ages 23-28 before being traded for Shaq. I bet those will be Gordon's #'s ages 21-31.

Some here who knock him (McBuckets over Gordon? Really?) laugh at a Blake Griffin comparison, wrongly looking at the two players stats entering the draft... when Blake was 18 months older than Gordon when drafted. They had comparable stats as freshman and when Griffin was Gordon's age during the NCAA tournament it was his first couple weeks on campus before playing a college game.

- Red Auerbach

I am a big Gordon fan. I know you remember how much I wanted Artest over Rasheed Wallace. Then Lakers get him and he burns us. Gordon plays Artest defense with more boyoyoing in his step.

Shawn Marion is an EXCELLENT comparison as well.

We add him to our Dirk (Kells) and we'll be Dallas East!

Pressey is our Steve Nash (kidding obviously)

Vonleh is better and he is the second best center prospect in the draft. Hopefully we can get Vonleh and trade up for Gordon. If we cant do so for Embiid or Parker.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

I'd be happy with this if:

A. Rondo was traded (regardless of when and for who as long as the value is solid)

B. Vonleh is closer to 6'11" and not 6'8" and the team sees him as a PJ Brown/Dale Davis PF-C who will be given half the year in the D-league to develop. If he is shorter and projects as a jump shooting Cliff Robinson/Derrick McKey PF we do not need that.

C. Green/Bass trades also go down by the deadline and the C's 'tank' for one more year

C - Fav/Olynyk

PF - Sully/Bass (until traded and Vonleh promoted)

SF - Green (until traded), Johnson

SG - Avery/Bayless (likely a player we get for Rondo will be a wing big SG or a SF)

PG - Pressey/Napier

That team is lotto bound again

[object HTMLDivElement]

Excellent. Then we pick up Kaminsky next year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaCeltics. Show DaCeltics's posts

Cleanthony Early is hard to pass on though. I'd take him over Napier. Gordon and Early are neck and neck as the second best small forwards behind Parker in the draft to me. Early has the better all-around game. Gordon has the better rebounding and defense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chris33. Show chris33's posts

These format changes always ruin the experience. Why? Leave it alone. This site was sooooo much better 7 years ago!

So true.

I want us to draft two good players, sign Hayward, trade Rondo, and let Bradley walk.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kdp59. Show kdp59's posts

The player comparisons are far too lofty on most of these guys. Maybe 'skillset' as far as saying "Embiid plays a lot like Olajuwon in some of his moves" but there will never be another Dream. The guy was unreal. My more realistic comparisons to likely career statistical impact:

1. Embiid - Mourning/Camby

2. Wiggins - A Rudy Gay that plays defense

3. Parker - Glenn Robinson (Melo is pretty solid though, Mashburn fits here too)

4. Exum - Derek Harper/Brian Shaw with a Penny Hardaway ceiling

5. Randle - Carlos Boozer with a Zach Randolph pre-injury Antonio McDyess ceiling

6. Smart - Fat Lever/Dennis Johnson (if they had modern weight training, haha)

7. Gordon - Shawn Marion/Andrei Kirilinko

8. Vonleh - Derrick McKey/Cliff Robinson if he stays skinny and shoots those J's (not quite Bosh) or P.J. Brown/Dale Davis if his body develops and he improves his already good rebounding/shot blocking abilities

9. Harris - A shorter Michael Redd/Eddie Jones... maybe like a Hersey Hawkins. I doubt he will be that good though. I expect he'll be 80% of what Bradley Beal is or what Eric Gordon was in LA.

10. I'd take Saric, Ennis, Anderson, Young, Payne and Hairston before McDermott, but for the sake of comparisons I seem him as a Luke Jackson/Pat Garrity type. Or mesh Kyle Korver's SF abilities (with worse defense) with Luke Harangody's locked to the ground PF abilities (but with worse rebounding). So a mesh of all that, 80% of Wally Z. worthy of pick 16-24 but will go much higher and likely never be a solid starter.

Early has James Posey written all over him (Mashburn? no way)

I like your player comparisons, I think you have a good handle on reality for rookies (sorry to many including websites have un-realistic comps).......any chance you can go a bit deeper at some point?

I would be interested in how YOU see like the top 30 players and who /what we can realistically expect to see from them as "grown up" NBA players.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BiggerThanMyBrady. Show BiggerThanMyBrady's posts

1.) Wiggins - Extreme upside, already has skills as a slasher, needs to be more consistent shooter and a post game. Future all-star. 

2.) Embiid - 7-footers that can move like that don't exist. Rare commodity. Not number one because of back issue. Extremely fluid given size and experience. 

3.) Parker - Very Paul Pierce-y. Good IQ and shooter. Hungry, determined. High character and motor. Trimming down a bit will help him dramatically. Most NBA ready. 

4.) Exum - Combination of size, speed, agility, and versatility. Good defender with good ball skills. I believe if he worked with Ron Adams he could be a good shooter. 

5.) Randle - Celtics really don't NEED him, but he has some amazing skills that really intrigue me. His wingspan is an issue, but hes an animal on the low post. 

6.) Gordon - I think the Celtics will actually draft him if they are 5-7. Interesting potential. Already a great defensive player, high motor, good IQ, team guy. Lot's of what DA wants.

7.) Smart - A refined jumper would make him a top-4 lock. Super athlete, loves to slash, not always the best decision maker though. Really an undersized defense first 2-guard. 

8.) Vonleh - Size and length combo are right on for a stretch-4. Not sold he could play C unless he really bulks up. Great shooter, good motor, sloppy hands. Really raw, but upside of a guy like Bosh. Rashard Lewis could be more likely though. 

9.) Anderson - Most unique skill set of all. Stat sheet filler. Could be another PG to put on the Celtics roster. Could be a part of the all-IQ team. 

10.) Young - Gets the nod over Harris because of his length at 2-guard position. Very similar numbers to Harris in 2014, a full year younger, but is 6'7". Could be Afflalo or Austin Rivers. One of the riskiest picks in the draft IMO. Higher ceiling than Harris. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thomas_Paine. Show Thomas_Paine's posts

Picks 1-3 are pretty much locked in with Wiggins, Parker, and Embid.

Picks 4-5 seem to be leaning heavily towards Randle and Exum.

I am cool with Exum.

Sections
Shortcuts