Zeller & Smart are upgrades

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

Zeller & Smart are upgrades

Both of these guys are  ready to play and will provide positive viewing if Brad uses them right.  Zeller just need to play in an uptempo style and get 30 minutes a game.  If he does and confidence is shown in him he will produce a good all around game.  He must be trusted and allowed to be himself which is a player the Spurs would be interested in because of his Basketball IQ and all around game.  Smart will have a good year if he is allowed to play point guard, but if he is forced to play the 2 then we will need to wait and see.  No matter where he plays the defense will improve this year and he will show the ability to lead.  These two are the our best pickups this year and should improve the team over last year.  Rondo may be a problem in development of Smart.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

Re: Zeller & Smart are upgrades

I agree - I feel almost like we got 3 first round draft picks.  Zeller is a nice pickup!

"Climb on my back, boys, and I'll take you home." - Cedric Maxwell

"You show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." - Red Auerbach

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

If no Bynum injury, no Gasol trade - last word!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Which team would you rather watch?

Team '13              Team '14

Rondo                 -  Smart   

Bradley                -  Thornton

Green/Wallace       - Turner/Young

Bass                      - Sully        

Fav/Hump              - Zeller/Oly

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kyceltic. Show kyceltic's posts

In response to Eldunker's comment:

Smart, Bradley, Green, KO, Zeller.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Team 13 is our new bench, less Hump

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamezHill. Show JamezHill's posts

Rondo Bradley Green Sullinger Zeller, THEN

Smart Thornton Young KO Fav

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

I LIKE IT...I DO...THE MARCH TOWARDS RENEWED GREATNESS WILL BE LONG BUT STEADY!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to romneywins' comment:

Oh, most definitely, the one without Mr. Green Jeans and Rondon't! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

In response to JamezHill's comment:

Rondo Bradley Green Sullinger Zeller, THEN

Smart Thornton Young KO Fav

I think you hit the starting 5 and the subs on the head, except Evens comes in for Green while I think Young will need more development time before he is ready for prime time.  

I do NOT want to see Wallace and to a lesser extent Bass on the court. Wasted minutes.   

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheBigTicket05. Show TheBigTicket05's posts

Currently watching some of training camp's scrimmages and marcus smart is playing like he is belong. i hope he can make the national team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHX85014. Show PHX85014's posts

In response to hedleylamarr's comment:

I agree - I feel almost like we got 3 first round draft picks.  Zeller is a nice pickup!

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." - Hedley Lamarr

I was pissed we didn't get 3 #1 draft picks.....so getting Zeller IS like getting a 3rd draft pick

I don't think he gets 30 minutes a game though, more like 20......Emeka Okafor gets the other 20 minutes at center for the Celtics, Sully&OLY mop up any additional minutes @ C

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

It's still July, but if we have this roster at the beginning of next year, we could see a 3 guard lineup. The 3 guard lineup has worked for teams before. Tex Winters original " Triangle Offense" was a 3 G set, Showtime played the 3 G 80% of the time; Magic, Coop, Scott Worthy and Jabbar most of all Red & TH would run it too. I don't know if all these players will be withus come November but if they are....

Now it's way too early to start picking out depth charts. You look around after the initial flurry of activity and there is now a slew of options waiting to happen after a 30 day hiatus.

From what he had to work with DA has really put us in a very flexible position to upgrade. We have players at every price talent and position to fit any gameplan.. Don't want players but crave picks? We have a plethora of picks to choose from

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

I'm looking forward to watching the kids play - I don't care if they are upgrades, in the short term they may not be, they have a learning curve to go through in some cases. 

I'm worried that Stevens is going to try to coach to win and give too much playing time to veteran stiffs like Wallace or even Evan Turner...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

I'm looking forward to watching the kids play - I don't care if they are upgrades, in the short term they may not be, they have a learning curve to go through in some cases. 

I'm worried that Stevens is going to try to coach to win and give too much playing time to veteran stiffs like Wallace or even Evan Turner...

This^

I do think in the long run Zeller and Smart are upgrades, but if they are getting playing time next season people should NOT presume that will translate into wins. The only way this team plays to win is by playing the vets and sitting the youth.

Zeller is basically replacing Humphries in the big man rotation. Now Sully can get more time at the 4, which is good for him, but depending on how much Bass is used it could spell problems for Olynyk. 

But Is Zeller an upgrade over Humphries production last season? IDK, Humphries was probably our most consistent player last year, Zeller because of his youth will probably not be as productive night in night out.  

Smart hopefully will be taking Bayless' role.  I say hopefully because Thornton could suck up a ton of Smarts minutes if Stevens decides winning meaningless regular season games is more important than developing our youth.  If that is the case than Smart, Young, Olynyk, and Zeller will be spending valuable game time on the bench watching guys like Rondo, Thornton, Green, And Bass drive this team to a 35 win season, complete with a first round exit and a 13th pick in a 5 player deep draft. 

That would be a disaster of a season if you ask me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rajon-Hondo. Show Rajon-Hondo's posts

When you have a young getting to the playoffs is a big step. Not wanting to make the playoffs is just nonsensical.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CelticGreenLP. Show CelticGreenLP's posts

In response to Rajon-Hondo's comment:

When you have a young getting to the playoffs is a big step. Not wanting to make the playoffs is just nonsensical.

What is the point of being first round fodder and letting our young guys rot on the bench? You really want to watch Bass, Thornton, Wallace, Green, and Rondo scratch and claw their way to an 8th seed, while stealing minutes from their younger counter parts, and sticking us with a mid first round pick? Because that is the only way this team even sniffs the playoffs.

That seems nonsensical to me. And completely self defeating. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

exactly

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from romneywins. Show romneywins's posts

In response to CelticGreenLP's comment:

I consider Zeller a upgrade because he is not a power forward like Hump, he has the size to play center.

This^

I do think in the long run Zeller and Smart are upgrades, but if they are getting playing time next season people should NOT presume that will translate into wins. The only way this team plays to win is by playing the vets and sitting the youth.

Zeller is basically replacing Humphries in the big man rotation. Now Sully can get more time at the 4, which is good for him, but depending on how much Bass is used it could spell problems for Olynyk. 

But Is Zeller an upgrade over Humphries production last season? IDK, Humphries was probably our most consistent player last year, Zeller because of his youth will probably not be as productive night in night out.  

Smart hopefully will be taking Bayless' role.  I say hopefully because Thornton could suck up a ton of Smarts minutes if Stevens decides winning meaningless regular season games is more important than developing our youth.  If that is the case than Smart, Young, Olynyk, and Zeller will be spending valuable game time on the bench watching guys like Rondo, Thornton, Green, And Bass drive this team to a 35 win season, complete with a first round exit and a 13th pick in a 5 player deep draft. 

That would be a disaster of a season if you ask me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hedleylamarr. Show hedleylamarr's posts

I agree and disagree with some of the above

Agree - I don't care if Wallace plays one min this year

Agree - he doesn't need to, we have Green and Turner.

Agree - Bass should be traded.............but, if not, he will play, he's earned it.

Agree - the whole season depends on what we do with Rondo.

Disagree - I don't think Turner is a stiff.  He needs a fresh start

Disagree - Stevens should coach to win always, BUT, play the youngsters.  Think WAS....look how valuable the experience of this past season will be for them going forward.

In pre-season, and at the beginning of the season, the "available" crew of Rondo, Thornton, Wallace, Bass and Anthony should all play - then they should all either be traded, or sit, and let the future of Smart, Bradley, Turner/Young, Sully/Oly,  and Zeller play the majority of mins.

Sections
Shortcuts