BC gets what it deserves.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimreilly43. Show jimreilly43's posts

BC gets what it deserves.

Boston College men and womens basketball teams got what they deserved, because their teams have been offically eliminated from the NCAA tournament, by not being invited. How does the ACC look now? Years back the BC administration decided that they wanted to be aligned with likewise institutions
    of academic knowhow (money) when they broke their word of solidarity to the Big East. Now that the ACC has been awarded 4 teams in the dance while the Big East with 11 nearly triples the amount in mens basketball the BC admin can break bread with their southern brothers and share the crumbs earned the the ACC. Just deserts for the Jesuits.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: BC gets what it deserves.

I hope the Jesuits have plenty of water to go along with those deserts.

Of course the move to the ACC was a football move not for hoop; that is the major revenue generator.  BC felt backed into a corner with the pending loss of BCS accreditation for the conference

How will you feel when the Catholic non-major football schools break away from the BE because their interests are so far apart?  Will they be accused of not keeping faith with their secular brothers?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

In Response to BC gets what it deserves.:
    [QUOTE]Boston College men and womens basketball teams got what they deserved, because their teams have been offically eliminated from the NCAA tournament, by not being invited. How does the ACC look now? Years back the BC administration decided that they wanted to be aligned with likewise institutions of academic knowhow (money) when they broke their word of solidarity to the Big East. Now that the ACC has been awarded 4 teams in the dance while the Big East with 11 nearly triples the amount in mens basketball the BC admin can break bread with their southern brothers and share the crumbs earned the the ACC. Just deserts for the Jesuits.
    Posted by jimreilly43[/QUOTE]

Hi, Jimmy

Can you please point to something that proves your point about a "pledge of solidarity"?  The Fr. Leahy haters love to claim that there was a pledge to stay in the Big East, but I have yet to see proof of such a pledge.

In fact, the Big East meeting notes show the exact opposite, when asked point blank if BC would commmitt to staying in the Big East, Fr. Leahy refused to do so.  So there seems to be no truth to this claim.

Had Notre Dame agreed to be a member of the Big East football, BC never would have left the Big East. Yet no one of your ilk blames the "sacred" Notre Dame even though their approach was totally self-serving. I don't blame them. Notre Dame did what was in their interest, BC did what was in their interest. Virginia Tech and Miami were alread going to leave so stayin in the Big East meant being  in a football conference with Louisville, South Florida, Cincinati, West Virginia and Rutgers. No thanks.

And let's not eve get into how many sports (men's baseball, like Providence?) BC would have had to cut had they stayed in the Big East.

And let's not get into the massive increase in undergrad applications from states like North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Like most true BC fans, I am thrilled with the ACC!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigMike67. Show BigMike67's posts

Basketball at BC has always been secondary to Football and Hockey. Even when Cousy was the coach [I was there then and never attended a B-Ball game but did virtually every home Hockey game.] interest was mediocre. No big uproar when they left the ECAC to be in Hockey East. I don't think any ACC team has ever beaten them in Hockey either. So they rule the ACC in that regard. The Big East has since its inception always been known as "thug" ball, and it still appears to be ref'd that way. Let them bang so the whistles don't irritate the fans with the myriad fouls that could be called. John Thompson's crew at G-town were the worst and got away with it. I was glad to see them get out of the Big East, but they should have gone to the Patriot League or one of the other joke leagues where an automatic bid would have become automatic. Gee, beat Stony Brook and get in to the big dance. What a joke.  NCAA selection committee is a joke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

I love how in this one SINGLE year when BE hoops is better than ACC hoops it's deemed to have been this way forever and will be forever.  You sound like the moron investor who follows the trends and continues to wonder how you lose money.  I'd be willing to bet you have uttered the phrase "Real estate, why would you put your money anywhere else, it's never going to go down..."

Grow up and be smarter dude....

That said BC hoops did get what they deserved due to their overall body of work this season, so at least you got that right captain obvious.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves. : Here we go again troll ... Lake Charles Looo wizz zey anna? Great accomplishment and fittingly deserved. Keep on putiing foot in mouth, as for the BC Football program? Can't necessarily agree with an 0-3 record in the Toilet Bowls!  Mormort now can get all excited with the Revere Beach puck heads!
    Posted by whr[/QUOTE]

So you are trying to give us grief because we have the best college hockey program in the nation??  Yes, yes, well done, that one really hurt....still too little of a man to tell us who you root for, huh?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Revisionist history again from the little fella, Gatzie:

1. Where is the proof of "massive" increase in undergrad applications from ACC land?

2.  Where are the sainted minutes of the BE meeting?

3. Where is the evidence that The Institute would have cut sports had not our boy pulled his Benedict Arnold act on the Big East?

4. Though we've discussed this over and over, all one need do is read the Blaudschun article in the Globe about the BE Presidents meeting at the hotel near Newark Airport. Says it all.

5.  Finally, what is the proof that "most" fans of The Institute favor the move to the ACC?  Is it the low giving rate to the school? Is it the absence of fan support at ACC road games?  Is it the failure of fans to attend even the ACC Tournament?  

Finally, right on, brother Reilly!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]Revisionist history again from the little fella, Gatzie:

1. Where is the proof of "massive" increase in undergrad applications from ACC land?

3. Where is the evidence that The Institute would have cut sports had not our boy pulled his Benedict Arnold act on the Big East?
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2007/09/25/boston_college_allure_spreads_southward/

I love how you have yet to ever produce anything when asked, and when constantly presented with something ask for it again and again - after you have already been shown i.

I  have linked to the meetings many times. Here they are again:

http://www.bigeastboards.com/userfiles/Minutes-20%20October%2020%202003.pdf

http://mysite.verizon.net/fethrs/Minutes%20July%202003.pdf

Both the July minutes and the October minutes. Everything you say is the opposite - no committment was made.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves. : 1. Where is the proof of "massive" increase in undergrad applications from ACC land? http://www.boston.com/news/education/higher/articles/2007/09/25/boston_college_allure_spreads_southward/ 2.  Where are the sainted minutes of the BE meeting? I love how you have yet to ever produce anything when asked, and when constantly presented with something ask for it again and again - after you have already been shown i. I  have linked to the meetings many times. Here they are again: http://www.bigeastboards.com/userfiles/Minutes-20%20October%2020%202003.pdf http://mysite.verizon.net/fethrs/Minutes%20July%202003.pdf Both the July minutes and the October minutes. Everything you say is the opposite - no committment was made.
    Posted by JamesGatz1[/QUOTE]

James Gatz, awesome work!!!!!!!

But we all know what happens from here. putter will ignore your factual evidence and before too long will post his same **** again in a new thread.

Another poster had it right - trying to have a logical discussion with putter or some of the other cretins on this board is the definition of insanity

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE] 3. Where is the evidence that The Institute would have cut sports had not our boy pulled his Benedict Arnold act on the Big East?

Boston College feared it would have to cut sports if it had stayed in the Big East, but its robust athletics department, which includes a sailing team, remained in place when it was ultimately accepted to the ACC in October of 2003, effective July 1, 2005. The Eagles' 60.9 percent growth in revenue from 2003-04 through last year ranks fifth in the BCS.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/07/12/article/high_rent_district_expanded_acc_s_revenues_on_par_with_other_big_winners

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE] 5.  Finally, what is the proof that "most" fans of The Institute favor the move to the ACC?  Is it the low giving rate to the school? Is it the absence of fan support at ACC road games?  Is it the failure of fans to attend even the ACC Tournament?   Finally, right on, brother Reilly!

There has been a significant increase in athletic revenue since the Eagles joined the ACC, and fundraising has grown steadily under DeFilippo's watch. Donations reached a record $21 million in 2008, a 10 percent increase over the previous year and a 200 percent increase from 2003.

-ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4064274

Unlike you, I engage in facts.

And your continuing rants about attendance at away games are just embarrasing. Away game fan attendance is not in any way a factor in evaluating a sports program and it is not part of most fans sports experience. If we had more fans at away games when we were in the Big East it was because we have more alumni living in New York and New Jersey than in North Carolina.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Thanks Gatzie, it gets a little old doing LP's research for him.  It is even worse when you have to provide him the same research multiple times.  Forgive me as I post in LP style.

The thing is, LP asks for this eveidence from time to time as if none of us could find references to what we are saying.  He may be just getting old and forgetful because it has been provided to him many times in the past.  Thanks for doing it again.

Let me respond to LP again on the topic of alumni giving.  BC has a very respectable Alumni Giving rate for a National University.  I have pointed you at US News many times, it is a paid service so I can not provide links.  Spend the $20 for internet access and see for yourself. 

You have described the alumni giving rate as abysmal and pathetic.  The alumni giving rate at BC at 26% is better than many schools you claim to respect, i.e. Ohio State, UConn, BU, NYU and others.  BC is in about the top 10%-12% of National Universities when it comes to alumni giving. 

Again, please provide clear guidance on where it alumni giving switches from abysmal/pathetic to excellent.  Further, since BC is in the top 10%-12% there must be a number of break points below abysmal/pathetic.  Please provide those break points while you are at it.  I have asked for this multiple times and I still await your response.

You see, LP, if you ignore the responses, references and facts it does not mean they go away.  Asking the same questions again as if we had not responded to them with very specific facts or worse yet that we were avoiding responding to those questions because we are afraid shows that you are trying to be deceptive.

We are calling you on it.  Ask again and we will post the responses again.

BTW, you ask that BC make Ted Knight the AD . . . you do realize he is dead right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Oh yeah . . . and ask again about home attendance this year and ProvPats will post the attendance information available from many sources.  Note that the last home game against Wake Forest was sold out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]Oh yeah . . . and ask again about home attendance this year and ProvPats will post the attendance information available from many sources.  Note that the last home game against Wake Forest was sold out.
    Posted by Eagle79[/QUOTE]

REMEMBER -

LP IS NOT CRAZY!

LP IS TOTALLY WELL ADJUSTED AND NORMAL! NORMAL! NOT MENTALLY ILL! HE DOES NOT SHOW ANY SIGNS OF PARANOIA OR DELUSION!

IF YOU ARE SAYING HIS OBSESSION WITH FR. LEAHY IS SIMILAR TO JARED LOUGHNER'S OBSESSION WITH CONGRESSWOMAN GIFFORDS, YOU ARE WAY OFF BASE!

IN CLOSING:

NORMAL!

NOT CRAZY!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

james Gatz1 needs to get a life hanging out on GOOGLE and posting irresponsible gibberish and the case of sour grapes not engaging in facts as to why is BC not respected? 

Gatz1  believes  he has the facts, but articules in a manner which confuses the normal Bunker Hill Community College ESL plebe!  In essence (he)  can't itemize his IRS deductions, as the job search expenses outweighs his BC charitable givings which equates to the ongoing Cardinal O' Malleys appeal for Catholics to come on Home.  

Needless to say, this WEEI shut in forgets the ACC is dominated by tobacco row and southern charm which BC is second fidle where it does not belong ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves. : Boston College feared it would have to cut sports if it had stayed in the Big East, but its robust athletics department, which includes a sailing team, remained in place when it was ultimately accepted to the ACC in October of 2003, effective July 1, 2005. The Eagles' 60.9 percent growth in revenue from 2003-04 through last year ranks fifth in the BCS. http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/07/12/article/high_rent_district_expanded_acc_s_revenues_on_par_with_other_big_winners
    Posted by JamesGatz1[/QUOTE]

BC has a sailing team?  Might we see you routing at the Head of the Charles every October with MIT?  Nice facts Gatzy1 but how much revenue is BC trip to Lake Charles going to bring in?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves. : James Gatz, awesome work!!!!!!! But we all know what happens from here. putter will ignore your factual evidence and before too long will post his same **** again in a new thread. Another poster had it right - trying to have a logical discussion with putter or some of the other cretins on this board is the definition of insanity
    Posted by ScreenNameGoesHere[/QUOTE]

Screen name still posting thought you'd be headed down to Louisanna with the band of BC also rans, or should I say almost doesn't counts, in LP's Newton Invitational Tourney!

UCONN ROCKS!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]james Gatz1 needs to get a life hanging out on GOOGLE and posting irresponsible g ibberish and the case of sour grapes not engaging in facts as to why is BC not respected?  Gatz1  believes  he has the facts, but articules in a manner which confuses the normal Bunker Hill Community College ESL plebe!  In essence (he)  can't itemize his IRS deductions, as the job search expenses outweighs his BC charitable givings which equates to the ongoing Cardinal O' Malleys appeal for Catholics to come on Home.   Needless to say, this WEEI shut in forgets the ACC is dominated by tobacco row and southern charm which BC is second fidle where it does not belong ...
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

cheeroh, how many times a day do you say "Would you like fries with that?".

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tfk345. Show tfk345's posts

JamesGatz

Good shot to cheeroh, he is brainless.  I was on the LA Times and noticed a lot of USC bashers.  So I guess with success comes envy and nonstop attacks from local yahoos.

I am glad BC is in the ACC.  It does seem to be several notches above the Big East.  It has a quality feel to it.

BC and Harvard I guess get what they deserve.   Both teams were close to getting into the Big Dance.  I am happy with the new BC coach.  Starting off with a 20 win season is impressive.   And Clemson is one fine team.

BC just seems to be getting better and better.  Jerry York is my favorite person and such a great ambassador for BC.  I know this is a basketball thread but I couldn't resist.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimreilly43. Show jimreilly43's posts

And let's not get into the massive increase in undergrad applications from states like North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

James, you quoted 2007 stats but what are they now? Sports success is what draws applicants as mentioned in the article.

That's exactly how it works, said Michael Lovagliaa University of Iowa sociologist who has studied the topic.

"There's a halo effect,"

The point is where is the success and how has the ACC elevated BC?
    They only got 4 teams to the dance and last year the Big East dwarfed
    the ACC also. Applicants may be up from down south but how about the travel expense for womens softball and lacrosse or your sailing team. I believe it is just lip service  regarding the move. No one will ever come out and state it was a mistake. Marquette, Louisville, Cinncinnatti are delighted to join the Big East
    as out of towners when BC was an orginal. Maybe ND will join in football down the road, then will the move still look so good. NBC is being approached by Paul Tagliabue regarding a Big East network that will include ND. We shall see what we shall see.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle78. Show Eagle78's posts

[QUOTE]And let's not get into the massive increase in undergrad applications from states like North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. James, you quoted 2007 stats but what are they now? Sports success is what draws applicants as mentioned in the article. That's exactly how it works, said Michael Lovagliaa University of Iowa sociologist who has studied the topic. "There's a halo effect," The point is where is the success and how has the ACC elevated BC? They only got 4 teams to the dance and last year the Big East dwarfed the ACC also. Applicants may be up from down south but how about the travel expense for womens softball and lacrosse or your sailing team. I believe it is just lip service  regarding the move. No one will ever come out and state it was a mistake. Marquette, Louisville, Cinncinnatti are delighted to join the Big East as out of towners when BC was an orginal. Maybe ND will join in football down the road, then will the move still look so good. NBC is being approached by Paul Tagliabue regarding a Big East network that will include ND. We shall see what we shall see.
    Posted by jimreilly43[/QUOTE]

The above post is classic in its wrong-headed assertions and incorrect statements.  It always amuses me when non-BC (or Big East) fans lecture BC fans on the "great mistake" that they have made.

BC's move to the ACC has been a huge success for the school.  When BC was in the BE, they got about $5.5M a year from the BEC.  BC now gets about $13M a year from the ACC.  When BC was in the BE, alumni donations to BC athletics were abut $6M a year.  Alumni donations to BC athletics have skyrocketed after BC's move to the ACC.  This past year, alumni donations to BC athletics exceeded $27M!

BC's has never been more competitive across all of it sports teams.  Men's and women's soccer, for example, have become national powers since BC joined the ACC.  Two years ago, BC's baseball team made the College World Series for the first time since the early 60's.

Yes, the ACC only got 4 teams into the NCAA's this year.  So what?  Conferences have up and down years all the time.    Big East football didn't have a single team in the Top 25 this past year!  The ACC had 4 teams in the Top 25. (And let's not forget, football drove BC's move to the ACC.)  You want to cherry-pick your facts, I can do that too.

The "travel cost" mantra is a huge canard and I think you know it.  Most of any school's Olympic sports (swimming, track, etc.) don't play a full conference schedule.  They play local teams and once a season travel to a conference tournament (that's the way the BE and the ACC do it - along with all of the other conferences.)

The fact is that travel in the BE would not be much different than travel in the ACC is now for BC.  On balance, BC's travel expenses are about $300K higher than what they might be in the BE.  That is weighed against about $7.5M in incremental conference revenues that BC now enjoys in the ACC.  I will let you figure out how the math works in BC's favor here.

(Oh, and by the way, aren't you concerned about the travel costs that all of the BE teams will be racking up now that TCU will be joining the Conference?)

As a BC fan, I am glad that Louisville, Marquette, and Cinn. were delighted to join the BE.  We are thrilled to be in the ACC so everyone should be happy, right??

I am always amazed that SIX YEARS after BC moved to the ACC we still get posts like this from BE fans.  When do you guys move on?  Seriously, these kind of posts are like the proverbial obsessive ex-spouse who has never gotten over a divorce and now spends their life reminding their former - now very content - ex-spouse of all the things they are supposedly missing.

BC is an ACC team.  As the BC AD recently said:  "BC will always be an ACC team as long s there is an ACC."  The entire BC student fanbase - and the last two graduating classes - have only known the ACC.  BC is happy in the ACC.  It has provided the stability that BC has needed.

You BE guys need to move on - as BC has.  Of course, we will know when you have moved on when we don't see posts like this anymore.

Oh, and good luck getting ND to join the BE for football...Yeah, thats going to happen soon! LOL !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]And let's not get into the massive increase in undergrad applications from states like North Carolina, Georgia and Florida. James, you quoted 2007 stats but what are they now?[/QUOTE]

Doing fine, thank you very much.

At at time when the overall student population is going down, BC's applications are growing:

This year, Boston College saw a 2 percent increase in applicants for the class of 2014,
    -The Heights, April 2010

The traditional base of the BC - the Norheast - is shrinking. The Southeast is growing. The move to the ACC was a strategic one to make the University more of a national one and not just a Northeastern university.

I am touched by your concern over travel. But as 78 has pointed out, the massive increase in revenue has far surpassed any problems in expesnes.

And lastly, you do realize that the Big East has teams in Texas (future), South Florida, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana so I am no sure where this myth comes from that there are no travel issues in the Big East. The Big East is more widespread than the ACC!

BC wants to be in a conference where all the schools play both football and basketball, the Big East does not have that. (Not to mention I belive that every ACC school plays men's soccer and baseball which also does not happen in the  Big East).

BC wants to play in a conferene where the schools have a strong reputation for academic excellence like Duke, Wake Forest, UVA, UNC, etc. 

We are very sorry that it hurts your feelings that we don't want to associate with you, but the move to the ACC was a good one for BC.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves. : The above post is classic in its wrong-headed assertions and incorrect statements.  It always amuses me when non-BC (or Big East) fans lecture BC fans on the "great mistake" that they have made. BC's move to the ACC has been a huge success for the school.  When BC was in the BE, they got about $5.5M a year from the BEC.  BC now gets about $13M a year from the ACC.  When BC was in the BE, alumni donations to BC athletics were abut $6M a year.  Alumni donations to BC athletics have skyrocketed after BC's move to the ACC.  This past year, alumni donations to BC athletics exceeded $27M! BC's has never been more competitive across all of it sports teams.  Men's and women's soccer, for example, have become national powers since BC joined the ACC.  Two years ago, BC's baseball team made the College World Series for the first time since the early 60's. Yes, the ACC only got 4 teams into the NCAA's this year.  So what?  Conferences have up and down years all the time.    Big East football didn't have a single team in the Top 25 this past year!  The ACC had 4 teams in the Top 25. (And let's not forget, football drove BC's move to the ACC.)  You want to cherry-pick your facts, I can do that too. The "travel cost" mantra is a huge canard and I think you know it.  Most of any school's Olympic sports (swimming, track, etc.) don't play a full conference schedule.  They play local teams and once a season travel to a conference tournament (that's the way the BE and the ACC do it - along with all of the other conferences.) The fact is that travel in the BE would not be much different than travel in the ACC is now for BC.  On balance, BC's travel expenses are about $300K higher than what they might be in the BE.  That is weighed against about $7.5M in incremental conference revenues that BC now enjoys in the ACC.  I will let you figure out how the math works in BC's favor here. (Oh, and by the way, aren't you concerned about the travel costs that all of the BE teams will be racking up now that TCU will be joining the Conference?) As a BC fan, I am glad that Louisville, Marquette, and Cinn. were delighted to join the BE.  We are thrilled to be in the ACC so everyone should be happy, right?? I am always amazed that SIX YEARS after BC moved to the ACC we still get posts like this from BE fans.  When do you guys move on?  Seriously, these kind of posts are like the proverbial obsessive ex-spouse who has never gotten over a divorce and now spends their life reminding their former - now very content - ex-spouse of all the things they are supposedly missing. BC is an ACC team.  As the BC AD recently said:  "BC will always be an ACC team as long s there is an ACC."  The entire BC student fanbase - and the last two graduating classes - have only known the ACC.  BC is happy in the ACC.  It has provided the stability that BC has needed. You BE guys need to move on - as BC has.  Of course, we will know when you have moved on when we don't see posts like this anymore. Oh, and good luck getting ND to join the BE for football...Yeah, thats going to happen soon! LOL !
    Posted by Eagle78[/QUOTE]

Fantastic post!

Sections
Shortcuts