BC gets what it deserves.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: BC gets what it deserves.

In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves. : BC has a sailing team?  Might we see you routing at the Head of the Charles every October with MIT?  Nice facts Gatzy1 but how much revenue is BC trip to Lake Charles going to bring in?
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

Of course you realize the Head of the Charles is a regatta for crew teams not for sailing teams.  You know crew, those skinny boats that have oars and not sails.

And of course the HOC attracts world class institutions like Harvard, Yale etc.  What do they have in Storrs?  A field trip to the decaying city of Hartford?

And of course revenue does not matter as much to BC as it does to UCONN which lost millions on its trip to AZ.  Add into that the bribes to the NCAA to keep Calhoun on the bench, as well as Calhoun's bar tab and it can really add up in Huskyville.

and just to give you some proof

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/UConn-made-the-BCS-and-all-it-got-was-this-loom?urn=ncaaf-296921

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

From a fan's perspetive, I am torn on the move to the ACC.  Basketball wise I could not miss the BE any more.  The UNc, Duke thing has worn off.  It was cool to play them, but we should be playing Gtown, Cuse, Prov, Uconn, etc.  It's our tradition and where we are supposed to be.  That said, I understand the business side of it.  Football wise it is a no brainer, BE football is almost dead.  As for the other sports at BC, yes there are actually other sports that the AD has to care about, they are leaps and bounds better off in the ACC.  \

There is no black and white wrong or right answer here.  college sports are a broken system with teams jumping conferences to try and save or money.  So do what I do, ignore it and just watch the actual games that are played....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

MIAA high school conferences are all realigning, college conferences are too.  It's the trend, alliances are broken, resistence is futile...look at the Big 12 and Pac 12.  I agree, there's no easy solution.  I'm not the biggest fan of the ACC move, but I do support the program.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimreilly43. Show jimreilly43's posts

[QUOTE]From a fan's perspetive, I am torn on the move to the ACC.  Basketball wise I could not miss the BE any more.  The UNc, Duke thing has worn off.  It was cool to play them, but we should be playing Gtown, Cuse, Prov, Uconn, etc.  It's our tradition and where we are supposed to be.  That said, I understand the business side of it.  Football wise it is a no brainer, BE football is almost dead.  As for the other sports at BC, yes there are actually other sports that the AD has to care about, they are leaps and bounds better off in the ACC.  \ There is no black and white wrong or right answer here.  college sports are a broken system with teams jumping conferences to try and save or money.  So do what I do, ignore it and just watch the actual games that are played....
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Intelligent opinion. The novelty of the ACC in Basketball will wear off. Tradition and memories of former foes will fade and you are left in the middle. Football money is driving everything and it is a shame. Look at the NFL now with their greed now closing the sport.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC gets what it deserves. : Intelligent opinion. The novelty of the ACC in Basketball will wear off. Tradition and memories of former foes will fade and you are left in the middle. Football money is driving everything and it is a shame. Look at the NFL now with their greed now closing the sport.
    Posted by jimreilly43[/QUOTE]

In fact a number of the rivalries such as HC, PC and UMASS remain; others go away more like georgetown and nova.  For instance though BC is playing Syracuse in football.  Selective use of the opponents keep them alive

The novelty is now six years old; when does it wear off?  Like it or not football drives it all as the major revenue producer; as others have also said , sports such as soccer are much much better

The real problem happend is when the big east allowed ND to join in everything but football.  ND needed the BE more than the BE needed ND.  The BE will break into all sports versus hoop dominated schools soon as it becomes more and more unwieldy.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

That's what I am saying, the novelty has already worn off, at least for me.  I'm not saying I don't enjoy watching Duke and UNC play, but that's 2 games a year.  I would much rather watch BC play the BE teams of our past than Virginia, NC State, Maryland, etc.  As I said, I understand the buzz side, but I feel from the fan's side....

Bottom line, college sports are beyond corrupt and broken, so each school has to do the best job they can to stay relevant.  BC had to move, or football would have been over.  BE football is about dead.

Sections
Shortcuts