Big East FB / BB Split?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle78. Show Eagle78's posts

Big East FB / BB Split?

With MB's column yesterday speculating on the possibility of a BE split coming after the just announced change in BE leadership, I am wondering what everyone's take is on this. Do you see it happening? If so, how would ND react?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Re: Big East FB / BB Split?

The Split will happen. The Catholic schools sans Notre Dame could try and pick off the stronger Catholic A-10 schools and form a new league with the conference tournament at MSG.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle78. Show Eagle78's posts

Slim and Red...I agree with your thoughts on the possibility of some kind of merger with the current A-10 and BE BB schools.

If this scenario were to indeed come to pass, I would not be surprised if ND decided to be part of this new ""BB Conference" for their BB and Olympic sports.  I just think that being independent for FB is such a fundamental part of their identity that I don't see it changing anytime soon.  Of course, this could all be moot depending on how the BCS replacement/playoff format shapes up.  However, even here I think ND will be able to work with what is ultimately agreed to - especially if it means being able to remain independent and retaining their lucrative TV contract.

Donnn, IMO, Uconn to the ACC is unlikely for a couple of reasons. First, I don't think that ND will be coming to the ACC any time soon which pretty much negates the ACC adding anyone unless they are raided (which I think is unlikely, but who really knows?).  Second, it would appear that there is some opposition to Uconn in the ACC.  True, BC will likely object again to their entry - for largely business reasons - but they alone are not nearly enough to block Uconn.  IMO, if there was widespread support for Uconn in the ACC, BC's objections would be simply brushed aside.  All of this of course, is speculation and conjecture, nothing more, so who really knows?

Red and Slim - since I think you are Umass guys, do you see any possibility for Umass being part of a conference with the current BE football schools?  

(As a side note, I do think this is one area where Uconn has missed the boat.  They have not played Umass and after the one game at the Rent this year, it does not appear that Umass and Uconn will be playing again in the near future.  As a BC fan, I believe that if the two played annually - home and home, the Rent and Gillette, they could establish a nice local rivalry, which could impact BC. Interestingly, it is BC who has signed onto a longer-term series with Umass.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

In Response to Re: Big East FB / BB Split?:
    Our brethern from Xavier and Dayton have been talking this up on our A10 message  board for a couple of years now.  It's their holy grail, but I have to wonder  how successful a team like Marquette would be in it.  Right now their main selling point to recruits is that they are in the real BE.  A bunch of those schools are in the same boat. What does Providence have to offer, besides it's membership in the BE? They've been an otherwise non-entity for years. An all-catholic becomes a tougher sell.  It can be done, obviously Xavier's been doing it in the A10 (meaning not a mid-major, but not a BCS either) .  But there's got to be a limit to how many schools can pull off that trick. I don't get how anyone puts up with Notre Dame's demands.  Talk about overrated. I'd tell them to take a hike.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

Especially with the State of Catholic affairs as we see it today; Personna-Non Grata ... for a Conference with obsecure schools which would suck!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Notre Dame will be in a trouble.  Dont think that they would just remain in the BE just for basketball purpose or join a newly conference with bunch of non-football schools/catholic schools.  Notre Dame have improved in every sport including women soccer, men soccer, women basketball, men basketball, etc cuz they played in a competitive Big East conference.  Notre Dame need Uconn, Cuse, WEst Virginia, Pittsburgh, etc more than they need Georgetown, St John, Maquette, etc!!

Notre Dame will more likely have to join a conference.  Which conference, I think it will come down to Big 10 and ACC.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Red and Slim - since I think you are Umass guys, do you see any possibility for Umass being part of a conference with the current BE football schools?   (As a side note, I do think this is one area where Uconn has missed the boat.  They have not played Umass and after the one game at the Rent this year, it does not appear that Umass and Uconn will be playing again in the near future.  As a BC fan, I believe that if the two played annually - home and home, the Rent and Gillette, they could establish a nice local rivalry, which could impact BC. Interestingly, it is BC who has signed onto a longer-term series with Umass.)
    Posted by Eagle78

As much as I'd want it to happen, I don't see UMass in a conference with the football schools of the Big East. There are some sectors of the fanbase and alumnibase lukewarm to the move to the MAC mainly for the travel and lack of rivals. I doubt they'll take to games at Houston, SMU, and San Diego State. Plus the faculty, coaches of non-revenue Olympic sports, Board of Trustees, and the Statehouse would revolt at the ballooning travel cost.

In addition the Big East wants an established program. They wouldn't let Villanova, a founding member of the conference, move up to play in a soccer stadium off campus. They wouldn't be too warm on a fledgling program without a quality on-campus stadium. And as Slim mentioned, of the four programs we have a common history with, two are leaving and the other two (Rutgers and Uconn) are looking to leave.

On the bright side the A-10/14 did get quality programs to replace Temple and Charlotte.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In Response to Re: Big East FB / BB Split? : I'm not a huge College FB fan so I have no idea.  I suspect even the fanatics don't know the answer to that one.  My best guess is that it's not happening anytime soon,  UMass would probably have to shell out some money to get out of their new MAC agreement, and money is in very short supply.  Seems that many of the schools that UMass has had past relationships with in the Eastern 8 and/or A10 (Pitt , WV) , are moving out of the conference.   I can't imagine UMass is a particularly attractive candidate right now.   
    If the move to BCS succeeds, then who knows.  You have to think it's going
    to be at least 5 years before the Minutemen will sniff any kind of higher level
    success.  It's a long shot and there's going to be alot of conference churn
    while we wait it out.  If I had to bet green cash money right now on a move
    to the BE then I'd say 'nope'.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

I took notice of that Slim so why do have to post on something you have no knowlege about? You're like my boss needs to say something about something even though she's stupid!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

well if she has retained you as an employee, that should confirm your judgement of her

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In Response to Re: Big East FB / BB Split? : I'm psyched.  It sounds like VCU is starting in BB right away, before Temple and Charlotte have exited.  Butler is still a year away.  When the smoke clears I think the A10 actually comes out a little ahead!  I really hope that UMass doesn't go all in with the MAC, that would be a big step down for the BB program.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

UMass needs all the help in can get ... as with BC, do other Division 1 programs ever consider an ol' Yankee Conference team, and Jerk Water U in Chestnut Hill competition in BCS Football, or quality NCAA basketball? Certainly not John Calapari, or Nick Saben!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

well if she has retained you as an employee, that should confirm your judgement of her
    Posted by provpats

diversity and inclusion my friend something BC lacks on there lilly white campus ...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

Should we consider hapless BC a favorite for football mediocrity if FSU, and Miami leave the ACC?

With the strong CBS/SEC hook up, ACC programs are scrambling as the loser Orange Bowl offers nothing in TV ratings over the past 8 years and will be deminished to NBC's Sport Channel which is the kiss of death.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: Big East FB / BB Split? : I'm psyched.  It sounds like VCU is starting in BB right away, before Temple and Charlotte have exited.  Butler is still a year away.  When the smoke clears I think the A10 actually comes out a little ahead!  I really hope that UMass doesn't go all in with the MAC, that would be a big step down for the BB program.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

Echo that, Slim.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Should we consider hapless BC a favorite for football mediocrity if FSU, and Miami leave the ACC? With the strong CBS/SEC hook up, ACC programs are scrambling as the loser Orange Bowl offers nothing in TV ratings over the past 8 years and will be deminished to NBC's Sport Channel which is the kiss of death.
    Posted by 82ndAB

Orange Bowl needs to go, it's not what it use to be... ACC pitted agaist BE? No excitement... too many crap conferences, too many crap Bowls ... 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: Big East FB / BB Split? : Orange Bowl needs to go, it's not what it use to be... ACC pitted agaist BE? No excitement... too many crap conferences, too many crap Bowls ... 
    Posted by cheeroh

Have to agree with you Chee ... just more $$$$$s and little, if any, prestige saying you won a game in Detroit, or Akron, or Duluth. The minor bowls are kinda like playing the NIT.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In Response to Re: Big East FB / BB Split? : Have to agree with you Chee ... just more $$$$$s and little, if any, prestige saying you won a game in Detroit, or Akron, or Duluth. The minor bowls are kinda like playing the NIT.
    Posted by LOTHAR43

LO this is what it's all about:

Big 12, SEC champs to play bowl game... great article on FOXsports... first step to the play off system and more $$$$$ to the SEC & Big 12 ...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

It's now 'Big 4' ... and everyone else

HEAVY HANDED
    ACC, Big East and Notre Dame could be left high and dry after Big 12-SEC shocker. It's all over, it's all over Northeast football might as well hook up with Division 3.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Notre Dame blew it many years ago by there arrogance now, Notre Dame joins BC as two hapless Catholic Universites in trouble with their programs, recruits, and no $$$.  BC has no respect, and the ACC is failing, as it never was respectible in Football. It's basketball programs are no where to be found. The good old days are gone .... SEC, Big 12, deliver Bowl play off Series WOW

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

I would like to see it happen so it forces ND to pick a conference which would most likely be the ACC.  Then, the ACC would need 1 more team where Uconn hopefully will slip in unless GDF cries and moans again.  Why not pick the most successful college team in New England to join?  If Uconn stays in the Big East and I am relegated to watching Uconn/Navy games... I will hate football season.  I can't get excited about SMU, Houston, etc...   BE football is in real trouble with credibility and I hope Uconn jumps from a ship on fire.  Hoops-wise, I think uconn will be ok but I like seeing them in the best conference and with Cuse/Pitt leaving the BE, I'm not sure uconn won't be like Memphis back in the day (good team in an ok conference). 
    Posted by Donnnn

Donnnn you don't like playing Navy - these are the guys that keep you safe from Borat and REAL threats, not to mention USN pours a whole lotta money into Electric Boat, some of which might just trickle down into the UCon economy.

Sections
Shortcuts