Boston Tip Off Classic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rrnyc. Show rrnyc's posts

Boston Tip Off Classic

Looking forward to seeing UMASS at the Garden Saturday!
    http://www.bostontipoffclassic.com

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Re: Boston Tip Off Classic

Wasn't the result we wanted, but at least we showed up in full force. Couldn't find a BC fan willing to ride up the Green Line to attend.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CJT65. Show CJT65's posts

Probably because Conte was full of BC fans for the BC-BU hockey game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernfriedeagle. Show southernfriedeagle's posts

BC probably has 5,000 out of their 8,000 students really interested in sports...well, over 4,000 of those students were at the BU hockey game last night.  Just bad scheduling, for what would have been an away game in Amherst.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

You are correct about Saturday's hockey game. It was as though the basketball game wasn't taking place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

No offense to hoops, I'm a big fan, but BC/BU hockey is a battle of top 10s....only so many students to go around.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCentralScrutinizer. Show TheCentralScrutinizer's posts

Your campus is in a suburb 15 miles away. 

Lower campus IS in Boston, brainiac.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCentralScrutinizer. Show TheCentralScrutinizer's posts

In Response to Re: Boston Tip Off Classic:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Tip Off Classic : Lower Campus??? As opposed to the main campus where everything is??
    Posted by Breeze33[/QUOTE]

Yes, including the campus school. I get the feeling you'd fit in well there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Breese, do some work.  I'm not sure if it's actually in Boston, however it's about 2 miles maybe from downtown boston, not 15.  Be smarter before you respond

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Boston Tip Off Classic : Ain't it a shame that's not reflected in the score!! Why wouldn't ZooMass fans use any excuse to get to Beantown?
    Posted by gspBison[/QUOTE]

Most of the fans in attendance were UMass alumni who live in the Greater Boston area.  Some of them make up have the 3K base that watch the games at the Mullin Center. The other half are local residents, employees, etc.   Current UMA students are not anymore into college BB than BC students.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YeWiseOne. Show YeWiseOne's posts

If I were John Marinatto, the commissioner of the Big East, I would take notice that the University of Massachusetts, Amherst has over 200,000 alumni that live in the Boston area.  So when UMass played BC in the TipOff classic, it became obvious which school has the largest fan base in Boston.  Of the 10,500 fans at the game, at least 10,000 were rooting for UMass.  The Big East has no presence in the greater Boston market, and UMass wants to join it so it can move up in football as well as basketball and play its natural rivals, UConn, Syracuse and BC (out of conference).  UMass proved they can fill Gillette Stadium for big games.  Yet, the Big East keeps gobbling up small Catholic and other Christian colleges in the mid west and south.  The conference is now a mish mash joke of about 17 schools.  Perhaps all the big state universities in the Big East should break away from the Big East and start a new conference.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

YeWise, I never thought about that but it makes sense.  Add a school in the EAST and not Texas (TCU).  and you said it perfectly.  BC has no following because they have a small school to begin with AND most students leave the Boston area upon graduation. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CJT65. Show CJT65's posts

Fun facts about BC:

- It was called Boston College because it was located in... wait for it ... BOSTON (shocking) when it was founded in 1863.

- Conte Forum and other parts of the lower campus near the reservoir (actually parts of the filled in area of the old reservoir) are inside of the city lines of Boston.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldnt be surprised if the ACC kicks out BC.  They draw zero attendance to the major 2 sports, its mostly ACC visiting schools filling the seats.
    and why does the ACC care about what or who is in the stands; actually for hoop their 4 times over 8K last year were ACC games.  The other stuff is BC's problem

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheCentralScrutinizer. Show TheCentralScrutinizer's posts

[QUOTE]I wouldnt be surprised if the ACC kicks out BC.  They draw zero attendance to the major 2 sports, its mostly ACC visiting schools filling the seats.

I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't pour urine out of a boot, even if the instructions were printed on the sole.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Yet, BC has the fifth highest athletic revenue in the ACC!

How do they get so much revenue when no one goes to the games?

It's a mystery!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Breeze, while the hoops team clearly has trouble filling Conte, you are wrong about football.  That stadium is very close to filled most games....and not all due to visting fans.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from CJT65. Show CJT65's posts

The only fans that come to football games from visiting schools in significant numbers are Clemson fans.  Everyone else is just a few thousand as you would expect. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

CTJ65,

And I would add that with the purchase of the Cardinal's residence a few years ago another part of the campus is in . . . Boston.  Along with the South Street dorms.

Regardless, I think people should be just as upset because of the College part of BC's name.  It is not a college but a university, an aggregation of a number of colleges.  But BU was taken.

I do not have a link but seem to remember reading something about BC discussing a name change years ago but they decided to keep the name because this is how it had become known.  If I find the link I will post it.