Breaking the Awful Silence

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Breaking the Awful Silence

Well, it seems the cat has the tongues of the Uber Alles crowd.

So, let's reflect on today's season-ending rout of The Institute by Northwestern.

1. Flippo has REDUCED interest in Eagle hoops:

A year ago, when he savaged the most winning coach in Eagle hoops history, Flippo touted a new era which would revive the program.

He has done the opposite.

We've known for some time now that Eagle fans this year would not travel even to the next Zip Code to see this team.

Now we learn beyond ANY doubt that they won't attend even post-season HOME games. To draw only 2,765 fans for a nationally-televised game is shameful. The sight of the barren Conte on TV sent an unequivocal message to fans across the nation: Eagle hoops are irrelevant to the school.

Add to that, the fact that the only cheers heard on TV were those of the NW fans, urging their "Cats" on to victory. The Eagle "fans" were mute.

Well done, Flippo.

2. One coach today showed his knowledge of hoops and canny preparation of his team - and the other coach did not.

Bill Carmody proved today that he learned the game well from his Princeton playing and coaching days, and that he can effectively impart that to his players. 

His strategy, both on offense and defense, was near flawless. How many cuts to the basket shredded the Eagle "defense?" How many open threes did the Wildcats make?  How often did NW out-rebound the Eagles? How effective was their transition game, leaving BC flat-footed?

How decisive was their lock-down of our best player, Reggie?  How confident was NW, based on Coach Carmody's exhaustive preparation?

By contrast, the opposing coach was over his head.

3. Next Year, We're in a Heap of Trouble

We lose 8 seniors, return 2 juniors (Reggie & Elmore), 2 marginal scholarship frosh (Moton and Rubin) and 2 walk-ons (Humphrey & Rehnquist), and "gain" the incoming 4 recruits. 

Hope does not appear on the horizon.

THANKS, FLIPPO & DEAR LEADER!

THE ANSWER?

Perhaps we ought follow the sensible example made long ago by the U of Miami when it dropped men's hoops as an intercollegiate sport. After many years, the program was restored, but only after a sound administrative staff was in place at the school.

By following suit for as long as Miami did, we'd have new leadership in place, who would be able, hopefully, to restore the trust that other schools had in us during the Father Monan-Bill Flynn years, and before.

Our short-term pain would mean long-term gain.

Discuss

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

Re: Breaking the Awful Silence

"2. One coach today showed his knowledge of hoops and canny preparation of his team - and the other coach did not."

You sure know what you're talking about when it comes to coaches
    Carmody has been at NW since forever and has never made the big dance
    http://firebillcarmody.blogspot.com/

And how are some of your other coaching heroes doing?
    Bruce Pearl is in danger of losing his job because he got caught cheating
    Calhoun suspended for 3 games next year because he got caught cheating
    And of course Al Skinner still looking for a job

You are pure genius

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Or to simplify the way this game went:  The team that played better today won.  BC lost.  They've been inconsistent all year and today it bit them hard to finish the season. 

While we go on with our lives, you can blame it on pleated pants and relieve yourself in a quiet moment later.

Oh, by the way, BC hockey just won Hockey East!  Let's not post about that, right?  The leader of the gang would have to take a tiny piece of credit?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

Very predictable response by you.  You decide not to respond to direct questions on other threads.  Instead you start yet another thread to berate BC, its administration and its new coach.

Funny thing is the team won 20 regular season games this year, 33% more than last year's 15.  They were invited to play in a tournament.  They were not last year.

You have spent the whole year ripping SD because he came from the Ivy league yet you tout the Ivy league background of the Northwestern coach.  Sad, sad.

Trbow, nice, the Eagles win Hockey East again.  On to the NCAAs.  I just wonder if Jerry York can survive much longer with the gang of two at the helm.  I guess he can see if the two soccer coaches are worried.  One of them is sure to get shown the door soon.

I still await LP's definitions of the break points on alumni giving.  Considering BC's is 26% and abysmal/pathetic yet is in the top 10%-12% there must be a whole bunch of other categories below BCs.  The Northwestern alumni giving rate is 31%.  I suspect the breakpoint is something like 28% where it goes from abysmal to awesome.

For everyone else, I keep brining up the alumni giving rate because it remains in LP's ridiculous signature.  He thinks it is important yet will not provide further guidance on how he classifies the schools.  I question the rigor of his analysis on this and most any topic.  It is easy to throw rocks, it is much harder to defend a position with facts.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Chaps,

Why are all things relative to y'all?  No matter what others do, the reality is that at least 75% of our alums don't give a dime to the place. Though it may pain you to ask why that is, look simply at ND. THEIR alums like their leader and how he runs the place. Ours evidently don't. Period.

You don't address the PATHETIC attendance at this supposedly important game. To draw 2765 people to an 8000 plus home game arena tells the world that Heights people could not care less about this program. Plain and simple.

Hockey is WONDERFUL. Not a word to the contrary from this corner. Ever. Period.

Bill Carmody, who PLAYED college hoops and learned from the master, Pete Carrill, simply overwhelmed Stevie Wonder. He prepared his team, and they executed, leaving us in the dust. Flippo's ingenious pick did not. Period.

As has been said oft before, OF COURSE this team played better than last year, when they were a young squad just learning to play with one another's styles and in a system. There is no way to tell for certain how they would have done this year absent Flippo's and Dear Leader's latest coach beheading, but these eyes believe they would have prospered beyond what they did under this schoolyard, mindless three-point barrage attempt approach. 

It was embarrassing  to see this rookie "coach" ranting on the sidelines, sometimes even running onto the court. A more secure and seasoned coach would not do that. Have you seen Coach K do that? Or Thad Motta? or the late John Wooden? Or Mark Few?  et al?

In short, we have a "program" that is, dismayingly, quickly plunging to the bottom.

Why not take the noble, prudent course and execute the Miami Plan? And while we are sitting out, all that hoops scholarship money could be put to better use - i.e. merit scholarships, and/or those for kids of alumni.

We could also rent out Conte to entities that could fill it: i.e. New England high school tournaments, or even BU, the foremost hoops program on Commonwealth Avenue.

Finally, to our young friend Gatzie: Why is it that your "replies" are constantly laden with sexual allegations? That BIZARRE conduct manifests the need for quick intervention, it would seem.

If you can't bear to speak to Mom about this, how about your parish priest, or imam, or minister, or rabbi?

Whichever forum you choose, the vital thing is that you seek prompt corrective action.

Peace, y'all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

This is not an actual response:

"Why are all things relative to y'all?  No matter what others do, the reality is that at least 75% of our alums don't give a dime to the place. Though it may pain you to ask why that is, look simply at ND. THEIR alums like their leader and how he runs the place. Ours evidently don't. Period."

First, your statement is factually incorrect.  According to US News BC's alumni giving rate is 26%.  You often ask us to provide facts that support our positions.  When presented you go all fuzzy on us and cannot back up your position.  As far as classifying alumni giving US News puts BC in the High category.  The same category as ND.

Second making reference to ND is relative.  As such your logic is circular.  Regardless, ND has a 44% alumni giving rate which ranks it third among National Universities.  Pretty impressive and something to which BC aspires. 

Finally, virtually every discussion we have on this board is relative.  This coach is better than that coach, this style of play is better than others, etc.  You terminology, abysmal, pathetic, is also relative.  When called to define things more clearly you simply have no answer and go all fuzzy on us.

Usually going all fuzzy is a sign that someone has lost an argument . . . though I suspect that does not surprise anyone on this board.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Eagle79,

Nice try.

No cigar.

Even using your number, 74% of grads have no interest in the place. 

Says it all, my boy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle78. Show Eagle78's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence:
    Eagle79, Nice try. No cigar. Even using your number, 74% of grads have no interest in the place.  Says it all, my boy.
    Posted by Longputter

LP...Your analysis here...like many of your others...is faulty and based on hate, not logic.

Yes...BC does have a 26% 2010 giving rate among alums...which puts it exactly in the middle - #25 - among the "Top 50" national universities according to USN&WR.  BC's alumni giving rate is AHEAD of such schools as Vanderbilt (24%), UNC (22%), UVA (22%), Penn State (22%) Carnegie Mellon (18%), Tufts (21%), Miami (18%) Michigan (16%), Texas (15%) to name a few.  By your logic 80% or so of the alumni of those schools "want nothing to do" with their schools because they haven't given to them this year.

Just ahead of BC, by the narrowest margin, is Georgetown at 27%.  By your logic, 73% of their alumni want anything to do with G'town because they haven't given.  Georgia Tech is at  28%, Wake Forest is at 30% and Cornell is at 31%  I guess most of their alumni don't care for their schools either, right???

BC's giving rate could be better, of course, but it sits right in the middle of the the top 50 schools and ahead of some very good schools.

In this tough economic environment, these are very good rates of giving.  The fact is that you cannot make your absurd claim without applying it to Georgetown, UVA, UNC, GT,Tufts, Michigan, Miami, Vanderbilt, et al. 

To summarize, your point is absurd, based on hate not logic, and typical of the statements that you often make here.

Oh, and by the way, what happened to the mighty Big East in the NCAA Tourney.  Weren't you the guy that splashed across these threads last week that the Big East was so much better than the ACC in that it had 11 teams in the Dance and the ACC had only 4 teams??

Well well, my how the worm turns.  And just how many of those 11 Big East teams have made it to the Sweet 16...Just 2!  And how many of those 4 ACC teams have made it to the Sweet 16?  That would be 3.  Let's see the ACC puts 4 teams in the Dance and 3 make it to the Sweet 16.  The Big East, on the other hand, puts 11 teams in the Dance and only 2 make it to the Sweet 16.  I am sure you would agree - since I am employing your logic - that the ACC is the superior basketball conference.  Just as the ACC proved to be the superior football conference this past season (4 teams in the Top 25 vs. 0 teams in the Top 25 for the BE.)

I am sure you would agree - as do many of the talking heads - that these results show that the Big East was WAY overrated this year.  Its a good thing that two of the games had BE teams play other BE teams - otherwise it is quite possible that 0 BE teams would have made the Sweet 16!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernmiss. Show southernmiss's posts

I can't comment directly on LP's post because I have "ignored" him on these boards -- and I'd recommend others do the same -- but what I can address is his utter disingenuousness.  Multiple times, I extended an olive branch: Gave him my personal email, invited him to attend a football game with me, then a hoops game, so that he'd at least have access to a little first-hand data as he made all those claims about gameday atmosphere and attendance.  Each time he simply ignored me.  I mean, ignored me. I mean, did not even show me the courtesy of politely declining my invitation. Just ignored me.  Several times, I gave him reasoned, measured responses to his email with actual data to back up my arguments, and once again, the old LP failed to show even a minimal amount of courtesy by responding to my arguments. Confronted with data, he simply choose to ignored me.

This man is not interested in real evidence or real debate; therefore, I had to cut him loose.  Again, I'd recommend others do the same.  He's fully deserving of his 'gang of two'.

Incidentally, BC's alumni giving rate is now up to 29%.  The alumni office decided to specifically target this number last year, since it figures prominently into the US New formula, and that effort paid off in a 3 percentage point increase in a year's time.  Which just goes to show you that this number is about as meaningful as about two thirds of the other criteria employed by US News.  Schools who intentionally target criteria of the survey -- and believe me, there are examples of numerous schools doing that in egregious ways -- stand to quickly benefit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Southernmiss,

Sorry if I did not reply to your invitation to go to a game with you, but I do not recall seeing it.

I did get such an invitation from a different poster.

Which perks the question: do you post under multiple identities?

Why would you want to attend a game with me, if I am so odious that you feel the need to "ignore" me on this forum? 

In any event, I now formally decline. This is a sports forum, not a dating service. I attend games with friends, not strangers encountered on line.

Sorry, too, that your "data" was not analyzed. Will try to do that in future.

Tell us more about your source for your various contribution claims.

Peace.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Nice response.  I stand by what I said, I think LP has gone all fuzzy because he has lost the argurment.  It is also why he never really responded before.  No amount of facts work for him, he is stuck with his opinion unsupported by facts.

SM,

I understand him ignoring us, he actually does not have a response supported by facts.  Note how I do not have to capitalize or bold the word facts.  He often does, yet does not respond in kind when facts are presented to refute his position.

He is welcome to his opinion but he can not pass them off as facts.   Perhaps your path is correct, put him on ignore.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

So wait a moment.  BC basketball won 21 games, just missed out on the NCAA tourney, made the NIT, all in teh first year of a head coach who due to the "asleep at the wheel" former coach had nothing coming in, and looks to have landed a very solid 1st recruiting class and you want to get rid of the program? 

Thank God you aren't a doctor. 

Patient: "Hey Doc, my arm hurts"
    Dr. LP: "Your arm is no good, we are going to have to cut it off."

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trojanfever. Show Trojanfever's posts

Real great fan base out there in Nowheretown USA. I gather you'all aren't use to winning just whinning about respect which will never happen. I also gather by these post most neanderthals in Boston are as classless as what is exhibited in these posts.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

go get your shinebox whz

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : LP...Your analysis here...like many of your others...is faulty and based on hate, not logic. Yes...BC does have a 26% 2010 giving rate among alums...which puts it exactly in the middle - #25 - among the "Top 50" national universities according to USN&WR.  BC's alumni giving rate is AHEAD of such schools as Vanderbilt (24%), UNC (22%), UVA (22%), Penn State (22%) Carnegie Mellon (18%), Tufts (21%), Miami (18%) Michigan (16%), Texas (15%) to name a few.  By your logic 80% or so of the alumni of those schools "want nothing to do" with their schools because they haven't given to them this year. Just ahead of BC, by the narrowest margin, is Georgetown at 27%.  By your logic, 73% of their alumni want anything to do with G'town because they haven't given.  Georgia Tech is at  28%, Wake Forest is at 30% and Cornell is at 31%  I guess most of their alumni don't care for their schools either, right??? BC's giving rate could be better, of course, but it sits right in the middle of the the top 50 schools and ahead of some very good schools. In this tough economic environment, these are very good rates of giving.  The fact is that you cannot make your absurd claim without applying it to Georgetown, UVA, UNC, GT,Tufts, Michigan, Miami, Vanderbilt, et al.  To summarize, your point is absurd, based on hate not logic, and typical of the statements that you often make here. Oh, and by the way, what happened to the mighty Big East in the NCAA Tourney.  Weren't you the guy that splashed across these threads last week that the Big East was so much better than the ACC in that it had 11 teams in the Dance and the ACC had only 4 teams?? Well well, my how the worm turns.  And just how many of those 11 Big East teams have made it to the Sweet 16...Just 2!  And how many of those 4 ACC teams have made it to the Sweet 16?  That would be 3.  Let's see the ACC puts 4 teams in the Dance and 3 make it to the Sweet 16.  The Big East, on the other hand, puts 11 teams in the Dance and only 2 make it to the Sweet 16.  I am sure you would agree - since I am employing your logic - that the ACC is the superior basketball conference.  Just as the ACC proved to be the superior football conference this past season (4 teams in the Top 25 vs. 0 teams in the Top 25 for the BE.) I am sure you would agree - as do many of the talking heads - that these results show that the Big East was WAY overrated this year.  Its a good thing that two of the games had BE teams play other BE teams - otherwise it is quite possible that 0 BE teams would have made the Sweet 16!  
    Posted by Eagle78

So something I have been meaning to post about for a while.

For a long time, LP's signature stated that he thought the next President of Boston College should be Fr. Brian F. Linnane, S.J. of Loyola in Baltimore. (In the most recent revision of his signature, Fr. Linnane has been removed. But he was listed previously). Well I googled the alumni giving rate of Loyola:

24.1%

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ApbLSEa8G3IJ:www.greexplorer.com/Top-Universities/Loyola-University-Maryland.html+Loyola+College+Baltimore+and+%22alumni+giving+rate%22&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Apparently, the alumni of Loyola are completely unhappy with Presdient Linnane!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Just to add to my above post, LP has long talked about BC joining an Jesuit Basketball league or an Eastern Catholic league for football. Here are some if not all of the members of this fictitious league and their respective alumni giving rates:

Assumption,
    (16.9%)

Dayton,
    (23.2%)

Duquesne
    (13.5%)

Fordham
    (22.3%)

Georgetown
    (27%)

Holy Cross
    (55%)

Villanova
    (18.1%)

Iona
    (29.3%)

LaSalle
    (14.9%)

Marist
    (19.1%)

Sacred Heart
    (7.5)

St. Francis (PA)
    (8%)

Canisius
    (18.9%)

Rockhurst
    (11.2%)

Lemoyne
    (22.3%)

Creighton
    (24%)

St. Peter's
    (14.8%)

Loyola of Maryland
    (24.1)

Loyola of New Orleans
    (9.6%)

Seattle
    (11.7%)

Santa Clara
    (17.6%)

San Diego
    (8.3%)

Gonzaga
    (23.1)

Providence College
    (26.2)

St. Joseph's PA
    (18.5%)

Fordham
    (21%)

Catholic University of America
    (13%)

With the exception of Holy Cross they must all hate their current Administrations, right!

I don't expect LP to respond to this as there is no way he can spin these facts.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Interesting how he hasn't responded.  We can see from other threads he's been on and he even started a new one.  So typical.

"aaaahhh, facts, oh no, um, ok guys, um, facts, shoot, what now, ok gotta go...."

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Momort,

Agreed . . . but in the interest of full disclosure Gatzie should include ND at a 44% alumni giving rate.  Still, I think that LP misses the additional point that giving from the alumni is up under Fr. Leahy.

Here is what I really think is going on with LP.  He would like "change" like many of us would.  However, he does not like it when he actually sees what it is.

LP longs for the time when Fr. Monan was the president.  One other thing LP fails to remember/recall is that Fr. Monan is still part of the administration of BC, he is the Chancellor.  I suspect that in general Fr. Monan is in agreement with the changes that have occured.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Momort, Agreed . . . but in the interest of full disclosure Gatzie should include ND at a 44% alumni giving rate.  Still, I think that LP misses the additional point that giving from the alumni is up under Fr. Leahy. Here is what I really think is going on with LP.  He would like "change" like many of us would.  However, he does not like it when he actually sees what it is. LP longs for the time when Fr. Monan was the president.  One other thing LP fails to remember/recall is that Fr. Monan is still part of the administration of BC, he is the Chancellor.  I suspect that in general Fr. Monan is in agreement with the changes that have occured.
    Posted by Eagle79

Good point 79, but the ND rate has been posted so many times that I figured everyone knew what it was.

The larger point is LP says he wants to associate (even if he was being disengenuous) with the schools I listed yet with the exception of ND and Holy Cross all of their alumni giving rates are below or very close to BC's.

Look at those schools that most observers would point to being like us in some way: Georgetown, Fordham, Providence and Villanova. We are at the same rate as those schools or just behind!

Or how about Loyola of Maryland! This is the school whose President has been suggested by LP as a suitable replacement for Fr. Leahy. Yet, the giving rate is lower than BCs.

Apparently other than Holy Cross and Notre Dame every major Catholic school hates their current Administration!

Response from LP: crickets.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Listen, trying to rationalize what LP is saying makes us all crazy.  He has a 100% one sided view and will never ever see things from another side.  So trying to continue to go back at him with facts time and time again is just like continuing to jump into a pool and wondering why you keep getting wet!

For full disclosure, I do not give any money to BC.  Not because I don't like them or am mad at them, simply because I view a school with a billion dollar endowment fund of being just fine and if I am going to give money it will be to those in need such as Haiti, cancer research, etc.  But that just me, but I would think I am not alone. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

JG1,

Yes, I agree.  He asks for critical analysis and thinking and yet when that is provided he goes all fuzzy.

Momort, interesting that you think that way.  Many think the same way.  With that said, it is often the research done at "National Universities" that cures cancer or programs like those at BC in Social Work that send people to Haiti and other places. 

I am not trying to change your giving patterns.  Just pointing out there are lots of ways to accomplish your goals.  Further, you are a great example of why LP's  harping on 74% who don't care enough to even give a dime to the University is just plain wrong.  There are many like you among the 74% that care greatly about the University as is the case with graduates of many other schools.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Interesting how he hasn't responded.  We can see from other threads he's been on and he even started a new one.  So typical. "aaaahhh, facts, oh no, um, ok guys, um, facts, shoot, what now, ok gotta go...."
    Posted by momort

The facts moron from Bob Ryan:

Connecticut is in the Sweet 16. Ho and hum.

This visit to the Honda Center for the West Regional is Jim Calhoun’s 10th Round of 16, which means the Huskies are amazingly close to doing it on an every-other-year basis since the big breakthrough into national prominence in 1990. The Huskies have advanced to the Elite Eight six times and the Final Four three times, winning it all in 1999 and 2004. All of this was enough to get the man from Braintree into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

Sections
Shortcuts