Breaking the Awful Silence

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Re: Breaking the Awful Silence

In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence:
    [QUOTE]JG1, Yes, I agree.  He asks for critical analysis and thinking and yet when that is provided he goes all fuzzy. Momort, interesting that you think that way.  Many think the same way.  With that said, it is often the research done at "National Universities" that cures cancer or programs like those at BC in Social Work that send people to Haiti and other places.  I am not trying to change your giving patterns.  Just pointing out there are lots of ways to accomplish your goals.  Further, you are a great example of why LP's  harping on 74% who don't care enough to even give a dime to the University is just plain wrong.  There are many like you among the 74% that care greatly about the University as is the case with graduates of many other schools.
    Posted by Eagle79[/QUOTE]

Spending days on the WWW with mormort in homeroom sniffing out Longputtrer real high wood there girly girls! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : Good point 79, but the ND rate has been posted so many times that I figured everyone knew what it was. The larger point is LP says he wants to associate (even if he was being disengenuous) with the schools I listed yet with the exception of ND and Holy Cross all of their alumni giving rates are below or very close to BC's. Look at those schools that most observers would point to being like us in some way: Georgetown, Fordham, Providence and Villanova. We are at the same rate as those schools or just behind! Or how about Loyola of Maryland! This is the school whose President has been suggested by LP as a suitable replacement for Fr. Leahy. Yet, the giving rate is lower than BCs. Apparently other than Holy Cross and Notre Dame every major Catholic school hates their current Administration! Response from LP: crickets.
    Posted by JamesGatz1[/QUOTE]

jimmy jim go back to the Church where all sinners need to repent on the mulitude of misguided facts you bring forth in justifying BC signifigance which nobody cares. Concern youirself with the Sweet 16 which no Catholic schools are apart of other than a obscure establishment from Milwaukee ...

Connecticut is in the Sweet 16. Ho and hum.  

This visit to the Honda Center for the West Regional is Jim Calhoun’s 10th Round of 16, which means the Huskies are amazingly close to doing it on an every-other-year basis since the big breakthrough into national prominence in 1990. The Huskies have advanced to the Elite Eight six times and the Final Four three times, winning it all in 1999 and 2004. All of this was enough to get the man from Braintree into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]JG1, Yes, I agree.  He asks for critical analysis and thinking and yet when that is provided he goes all fuzzy. Momort, interesting that you think that way.  Many think the same way.  With that said, it is often the research done at "National Universities" that cures cancer or programs like those at BC in Social Work that send people to Haiti and other places.  I am not trying to change your giving patterns.  Just pointing out there are lots of ways to accomplish your goals.  Further, you are a great example of why LP's  harping on 74% who don't care enough to even give a dime to the University is just plain wrong.  There are many like you among the 74% that care greatly about the University as is the case with graduates of many other schools.

Very good point, I do understand that colleges enable important research to happen.  That said, I only have so many dollars to give away and with a cool billion in the bank BC has a nice head start and I'd like my $$$ to get directly where it's need ASAP!  That said, I don't hate on anyone giving money to BC or any other college, just not my thing right now.....And yes, obviously the 74% who don't give to BC have a myriad of other reasons besides not liking BC for one reason or another, though that is 'one' of the reasons, just not the only.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : Spending days on the WWW with mormort in homeroom sniffing out Longputtrer real high wood there girly girls! 
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

What?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Seems the pathetic ACC took another embarrassment hit last night doggie bag'en it home to Durham as the best of the best this year couldn't make it out of the Sweet Sixteen!

Yes, Duke, ACC, humilated at the hands of Arizona and our BC boys sitting at the altar playing pocket pool keep on posting and assessing all the money lost to the alumni fund by their constant irrelevance in major NCAA TV generated sporting revenue!

Kemba Walker Kemba Walker! UCONN onward to Elite 8!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

For Boston, For Boston
     We sing this sad refrain
     For Boston, For Boston
     The Eagles choke again

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

BC embarrassed in St. Louis ... Great year BC in sports ... now, puck heads let's all turn our attention to BC baseball in the stellar ACC! 

UND Hockey ... NCAA Frozen Four

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

BC another one and out, consistant with the University in the NCAAs
     One & Done!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : MoMan:A few facts for you to ponder; 71% of BC students receive some type of financial aid but only 12% of that comes from the endowment. If you are a BC grad, these annual solicitations are pivotal so that financial aid can be rendered. When BC solicits corporations & other organizations, they want to know what the alumni support is before they contribute. Thus, participation is the key, even a measley $ 25 helps & reduces the "cheap" epithet that's bandied about. Got a check?!
    Posted by gspBison[/QUOTE]

Bison, trust me I've heard it all before, I just don't buy it.  A lot of my friends from school are now in charge of trying to boost participation for our class.  However, just because 12% only comes from the endowment doesn't really get me.  There is a simply solution to this.  INCREASE the amount that comes from the endowment.  Now I know, I know, there are rules to how they can use it.  And to that I call out BS.  As someone in the financial world, I know that rules can be changed.  It's all a rat race.  Instead of using this huge amount of money the best way they can, they instead create stupid excuses for why they can't because by having such a large endowment and by increasing the % of alumni that give they "look good" in the college rankings and the such.  I'm sorry, it's crap.  THat's why I love what Harvard and Yale are doing.  They realize how expensive their school it, they realize the economy and they realize their endowment funds are so big it's criminal to not use them.  So they are giving a ton more financial aid out of their endowments to help kids pay tuition.  THat's a novel idea I would get behind. 

I am, however, not going to give $$$ to BC just to make look good. 

They have enough money, they just don't want to use it....and that's wrong.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Mo,

I see hope for you.

Your point re The Institute's refusal to invest its huge endowment to assuage its sky high student tuition/fees hits the heart of the matter.

It may be the best example of their arrogance - or rather the arrogance of Dear Leader.

Harvard and Yale, by contrast, do the right thing.

The haughty attitude of Dear Leader and his minions re financial aid will never change until alumni tell them that contributions will stop until Dear Leader re-orients the approach, and actually HELPS deserving kids - including the forgotten middle class.

All this nonsense about meeting the demonstrated financial need of students does NOT tell you just HOW they assess that need. Without that "modification", the aid percentage would sink drastically. 

You may want to ask Dear Leader about the school's "modification" that it applies to financial aid. IMHO, he does not want you to discover that.

Instead, he counts on alumni being passive sheep. And so far, he's right.

Period.

Keep on evolving, Mo. 

Right on!

Peace

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]Mo, I see hope for you. Your point re The Institute's refusal to invest its huge endowment to assuage its sky high student tuition/fees hits the heart of the matter. It may be the best example of their arrogance - or rather the arrogance of Dear Leader. Harvard and Yale, by contrast, do the right thing. The haughty attitude of Dear Leader and his minions re financial aid will never change until alumni tell them that contributions will stop until Dear Leader re-orients the approach, and actually HELPS deserving kids - including the forgotten middle class. All this nonsense about meeting the demonstrated financial need of students does NOT tell you just HOW they assess that need. Without that "modification", the aid percentage would sink drastically.  You may want to ask Dear Leader about the school's "modification" that it applies to financial aid. IMHO, he does not want you to discover that. Instead, he counts on alumni being passive sheep. And so far, he's right. Period. Keep on evolving, Mo.  Right on! Peace
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

See LP, here is the difference between you and me.  Unlike you, I am able to logically view things from both sides and then make a well thought out balanced opinion.  You on the other hand are firmly on one side of the line and no matter what the fact is, what happens, you are staying on that side.....

As such, you are acting like this is a BC problem.  In reality, Harvard and Yale are the exceptions not the rule.  The vast vast majority of school are just like BC and they don't use their endowments for the greater good.  BC isn't the exception, rather the rule.  It doesn't make it right, but it also doesn't make them worse than the norm.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Momort,

Harvard and Yale may be the exception but I'd like to understand how you think they are different.  Yale's endowment is more than ten times that of BCs and Harvard's is almost 20 times that of BC.  Their alumni give at a higher percentage than BC, Yale at 38% and Harvard at 37%.  Further, both schools have a smaller undergraduate population than BC.

What LP has complained about in the past is that BC does not provide academic scholarship, or otherwise called merit aid.  Neither Harvard nor Yale provide such scholarships or aid.  Their aid is purely need based financial aid.

I guess I would ask, what are they doing that is different than BC? 

BC is not Harvard or Yale, but I think they do quite well.  In fact, better than when I attended.  BC continues to work to improve.  Here is a bit from a recent letter from Fr. Leahy:

The University is one of only 21 private universities in the United States that is need blind in admissions and meets the full demonstrated financial need of undergraduates students, a particular achievement since the vast majority of universities with this policy, such as Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and MIT, are considerably better endowed.

No need for you to give to BC, I am sure you are doing what is best for you.  You have already made the larger point that LP fails to understand.  Just because you did not give to BC, that does not mean you do not support the institution and its mission.  It also does not mean that BC cannot improve.

LP will continue to throw rocks without sufficient support for his position.  For me I am going to do a few things, put him on ignore.  I already know what he has to say.  When confronted with facts he goes fuzzy and does not respond with a reasoned response.  I will also read and comment on the BC Blogs instead of seeing comments that are not thread related by those that want to throw rocks.  I will be reading these forums way less often . . .

αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]Momort, Harvard and Yale may be the exception but I'd like to understand how you think they are different.  Yale's endowment is more than ten times that of BCs and Harvard's is almost 20 times that of BC.  Their alumni give at a higher percentage than BC, Yale at 38% and Harvard at 37%.  Further, both schools have a smaller undergraduate population than BC. What LP has complained about in the past is that BC does not provide academic scholarship, or otherwise called merit aid.  Neither Harvard nor Yale provide such scholarships or aid.  Their aid is purely need based financial aid. I guess I would ask, what are they doing that is different than BC?  BC is not Harvard or Yale, but I think they do quite well.  In fact, better than when I attended.  BC continues to work to improve.  Here is a bit from a recent letter from Fr. Leahy: The University is one of only 21 private universities in the United States that is need blind in admissions and meets the full demonstrated financial need of undergraduates students, a particular achievement since the vast majority of universities with this policy, such as Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and MIT, are considerably better endowed. No need for you to give to BC, I am sure you are doing what is best for you.  You have already made the larger point that LP fails to understand.  Just because you did not give to BC, that does not mean you do not support the institution and its mission.  It also does not mean that BC cannot improve. LP will continue to throw rocks without sufficient support for his position.  For me I am going to do a few things, put him on ignore.  I already know what he has to say.  When confronted with facts he goes fuzzy and does not respond with a reasoned response.  I will also read and comment on the BC Blogs instead of seeing comments that are not thread related by those that want to throw rocks.  I will be reading these forums way less often . . . αἰὲν ἀριστεύειν

If I am understanding what you are saying, then maybe they aren't too different than BC.  I just know that a few years back Harvard & Yale publically stated they were going to use their endowments to fund more financial aid then they had been.....I am sure that Harvard and Yale bug the heck out of their alum as BC does to give give give.  My only point was, those two schools admitted they had way too much money not to use it.  BC, with one billion in the bank, sends emails, letter, etc trying to guilt their alumni into giving $$$ by saying that it's needed for financial aid.  My whole point is, it just doesn't add up.  If you want to give more financial aid, use more of your endowment fund.  Simple as that. 

My other point was that I don't think BC is alone in how they do things, most schools are the same, I just used Harvard and Yale as examples of trying to change.

I know Yale's endowment is bigger, however I'd like to see the % of it they use for fin aid compared to BCs....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : No, the BC endowment is not that large that it can be tapped to a fare thee well. If you choose not to contribute (there's a word that rhymes with "creep") so be it; you can join the 74% who prefer to let others support the school they alledgedly attended while they observe on the sidelines. I ear-mark my Fides donation to the McMullen Museum & am grateful to Alma Mater for what they have accomplished. Buying tix to a sports event doesn't equate to supporting the mission of BC.

So let me get this straight, you are saying that an endowment fund of almost $1.5 BILLION dollar is not big enough to tap into more for student financial aid?  Really?  Sounds like you bought into the crap excuses BC uses themselves to try and guilt us into giving.  To say that $1.5bill is not enough is ignorant, arrogantand insulting.  Give me a break.  If BC (and most other schools) were in it to actually help as much as they can instead of in a stupid race to have a top 10 endowment, they would do it, simple as that.  You're classic.  Because I say I don't give to BC I now "allegedly went there".  And because instead of BC I give my money to Haiti and to wounded soldiers programs and to cancer research I am cheap, but you waste your money on some stupid art museum which does nothing but support rich people and you are "giving".

So I will end with this.  I don't want to support BC's mission.  I don't care about it.  As a graduate, I am grateful that I PAID my money for their diploma, I now consider us even.  I only want to support sports.  It's my choice.  The only chance BC has of getting my support is when they actually reach out one time without asking for money.  Pigs will fly first. 

You are a real piece of work, patting yourself on the back for "supporting" a school that has $1.5BILLION dollars in the bank.....that, my friend, is a joke...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : So let me get this straight, you are saying that an endowment fund of almost $1.5 BILLION dollar is not big enough to tap into more for student financial aid?  Really?  Sounds like you bought into the crap excuses BC uses themselves to try and guilt us into giving.  To say that $1.5bill is not enough is ignorant, arrogantand insulting.  Give me a break.  If BC (and most other schools) were in it to actually help as much as they can instead of in a stupid race to have a top 10 endowment, they would do it, simple as that.  You're classic.  Because I say I don't give to BC I now "allegedly went there".  And because instead of BC I give my money to Haiti and to wounded soldiers programs and to cancer research I am cheap, but you waste your money on some stupid art museum which does nothing but support rich people and you are "giving". So I will end with this.  I don't want to support BC's mission.  I don't care about it.  As a graduate, I am grateful that I PAID my money for their diploma, I now consider us even.  I only want to support sports.  It's my choice.  The only chance BC has of getting my support is when they actually reach out one time without asking for money.  Pigs will fly first.  You are a real piece of work, patting yourself on the back for "supporting" a school that has $1.5BILLION dollars in the bank.....that, my friend, is a joke...
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

Mo, just a point I would like to clarify. I really don't want to get stuck in the middle of this.

But when you say the school has $1.5 Billion.

Do you propose taking money away from the principal of the endowment?

Or just using the interest returned on the principal?

Almost all schools only use money that they get in their return while not touching the principal. So the amount they are getting in the return is probably closer to $75M per year. And even that is not correct as the funds are mixed up into different dedicated line items.

If you want to tap into the principal, that is fine but as any rich family will tell you that is not a good long-term strategy.

Doesn't make sense to use all that principal over the next few years and leave nothing for the school 20-50 years from now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : Mo, just a point I would like to clarify. I really don't want to get stuck in the middle of this. But when you say the school has $1.5 Billion. Do you propose taking money away from the principal of the endowment? Or just using the interest returned on the principal? Almost all schools only use money that they get in their return while not touching the principal. So the amount they are getting in the return is probably closer to $75M per year. And even that is not correct as the funds are mixed up into different dedicated line items. If you want to tap into the principal, that is fine but as any rich family will tell you that is not a good long-term strategy. Doesn't make sense to use all that principal over the next few years and leave nothing for the school 20-50 years from now.
    Posted by JamesGatz1[/QUOTE]

Gatz, it's a good point.  I am in the financial planning business, so this is what I do.  Yes, I do say tap into the principle at a small % each year in addition to any growth and interest generated.  If you do the math correctly, it won't ever run out of money as they add to it each year with donations.....

Trust me, with the right planning and investing they can spend much much more of the endowment fund than they do.  This is a simple case of not wanting to because they are in a pageant to have the biggest fund.....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Momort,

I disagree with Bison, choose to give as you see fit.

About tapping the principal, generally you would do that if there was a certain end date, i.e. mortality tables of say 100 years old or something.  However, a university endowment should not really touch principal if possible.  The question is what is the assumed rate of return. 

Some schools use 4.5% of the endowment others use up to 6% for budgeting purposes.  If I am understanding you correctly you are basically saying make it 6% and make sure they fund need based financial aid.  I do not know for sure but since BC is one of the few schools that meet 100% of demonstrated need then they are doing what Harvard and Yale are doing.

My point in posting was that LP wants the school to fund merit scholarships where many schools do not provide them, i.e. Harvard, Yale, Stanford and ND.  Many other schools use "merit aid" as a way to improve their numbers often targeting it to students with high test scores, valedictorians or some other criteria (like athletics).  BC has prioritized need based aid over any type of merit aid which I think is a good thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]Momort, I disagree with Bison, choose to give as you see fit. About tapping the principal, generally you would do that if there was a certain end date, i.e. mortality tables of say 100 years old or something.  However, a university endowment should not really touch principal if possible.  The question is what is the assumed rate of return.  Some schools use 4.5% of the endowment others use up to 6% for budgeting purposes.  If I am understanding you correctly you are basically saying make it 6% and make sure they fund need based financial aid.  I do not know for sure but since BC is one of the few schools that meet 100% of demonstrated need then they are doing what Harvard and Yale are doing. My point in posting was that LP wants the school to fund merit scholarships where many schools do not provide them, i.e. Harvard, Yale, Stanford and ND.  Many other schools use "merit aid" as a way to improve their numbers often targeting it to students with high test scores, valedictorians or some other criteria (like athletics).  BC has prioritized need based aid over any type of merit aid which I think is a good thing.

Eagle, I think the thing you aren't accounting for is that the endowment funds has additions to it each year.  I would understand your point if there weren't, however as they are adding to it each year as well as growing it investment wise, they are able to tap into it more than they do.  My only point really is they want the endowment to be a certain size and thus won't use it to it's fullest potential.  they can use more and not risk spending all $1.5bill....

And I'd like to see their definition of "100% demonstrated need" as I think it would be different than mine.  That's a whole other topic though.  These schools have inflation rates at almost 3x the national average/wage inflation rate. 

I know more than a few people who have left the school over $50k in debt, some more than $100k.  That doesn't seem to be "100% of demonstrated need" to me....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : Eagle, I think the thing you aren't accounting for is that the endowment funds has additions to it each year.  I would understand your point if there weren't, however as they are adding to it each year as well as growing it investment wise, they are able to tap into it more than they do.  My only point really is they want the endowment to be a certain size and thus won't use it to it's fullest potential.  they can use more and not risk spending all $1.5bill.  And I don't like how they put the onus on us to donate money so they can give needed financial aid when the school has A TON OF $$$$$$$$$$$$!  I don't mind them asking, but their method of asking is angering to many many people.

And I'd like to see their definition of "100% demonstrated need" as I think it would be different than mine.  That's a whole other topic though.  These schools have inflation rates at almost 3x the national average/wage inflation rate.  I know more than a few people who have left the school over $50k in debt, some more than $100k.  That doesn't seem to be "100% of demonstrated need" to me....
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : Eagle, I think the thing you aren't accounting for is that the endowment funds has additions to it each year.  I would understand your point if there weren't, however as they are adding to it each year as well as growing it investment wise, they are able to tap into it more than they do.  My only point really is they want the endowment to be a certain size and thus won't use it to it's fullest potential.  they can use more and not risk spending all $1.5bill.... And I'd like to see their definition of "100% demonstrated need" as I think it would be different than mine.  That's a whole other topic though.  These schools have inflation rates at almost 3x the national average/wage inflation rate.  I know more than a few people who have left the school over $50k in debt, some more than $100k.  That doesn't seem to be "100% of demonstrated need" to me....
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

I have some recent experience with this. BC and some other schools consider retirement savings and home equity when determining financial need. If you are fortunate enough to have a good amount saved for retirement and home equity, BC and some other schools expect you to use at least some of it to pay for your kids tuition.
    So yes, their definition of "demonstrated need" is quite different than a definition you or I have.
    BC is in a good spot right now and they are taking advantage of it. There are lots of parents willing and able to pay full price so their kids can get a BC education.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]MoMo: Did you glance at the front page of the Globe today? "Retiree Expenses Constrain Colleges." Followed by Harvard "suffered steep losses in its endowment during the financial crisis." Yale:"1.1 billion dollar pension liability plus $ 820 mill for retiree medical obligations." BC's Retiree Health Care reached $ 42 million. Student aid is $ 135 mill plus $ 845 mill operating budget & $ 150,000 for new construction. So much for a much needed seminar, even a "financial planner" (was that a 2 or 3 week class?) might comprehend. Your comments," the Endowment have additions to it each year.." but not from MoMo & his gaggle of jock-sniffers! Bison "wastes money on some STUPID art museum which does nothing but support rich people!" Your posts simply show that you can secure a degree from BC without being educated.

Bison, have you been paying attention to our conversation?  To refresh, it's already been made clear that Yale & Harvard use their massive endowments funds much closer to the level that it's able to sustain.  As for BC, those #s dictate they still have room to go.  As they bring in about $116mm in undergrad tuition alone, they are probably only using 4% or so of their endowment (and this doesn't account for the inflated #s they stack into their expenses)....

I am sorry that you were never very good at and thus don't like sports, I understand why people like you are bitter in that way.  So keep on giving your hard earned money to the art world so you can sit there and stare at the same painting over and over again.  Meanwhile I am going to send my money to people who actually need it.....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : Bison, have you been paying attention to our conversation?  To refresh, it's already been made clear that Yale & Harvard use their massive endowments funds much closer to the level that it's able to sustain.  As for BC, those #s dictate they still have room to go.  As they bring in about $116mm in undergrad tuition alone, they are probably only using 4% or so of their endowment (and this doesn't account for the inflated #s they stack into their expenses).... I am sorry that you were never very good at and thus don't like sports, I understand why people like you are bitter in that way.  So keep on giving your hard earned money to the art world so you can sit there and stare at the same painting over and over again.  Meanwhile I am going to send my money to people who actually need it..... MoMo: You can be sure that all those precious dollars you send to Haiti will find their way into the pockets of the wretches that control the gov't. Your stunning riposte was so laden w/ conjecture that it nullifies any response. Assuming your affection for BC athletics, why do we not see your insight on "Eagle Action?" Wait, that's $ 100/yr & you are compelled to battle the "Cancer de Jour w/ your hard-earned money. The French word "mort" translates as...? See you at the Museum?

Wow, so you've now stooped low enough to mock me for donating money to help fight cancer AND those who are living in mud in Hait.  Yet you would rather support a bunch of stiffs throwing paint at a canvass or hammering a rock.  Well done, you seem like you were raised to be a good person....

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Breaking the Awful Silence : I have some recent experience with this. BC and some other schools consider retirement savings and home equity when determining financial need. If you are fortunate enough to have a good amount saved for retirement and home equity, BC and some other schools expect you to use at least some of it to pay for your kids tuition. So yes, their definition of "demonstrated need" is quite different than a definition you or I have. BC is in a good spot right now and they are taking advantage of it. There are lots of parents willing and able to pay full price so their kids can get a BC education.
    Posted by ScreenNameGoesHere[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  So while BC raises it's tuition by 7% a year, they expect people to borrow against their house or hack up their retirement savings in order to pay the absurd costs and then on the other side attempt to guilt alumni saying if we don't give they can't help with financial aid.  Madoff would be proud.....

I have a novel idea.  If you don't have enough $$ to give out enough financial aid, why don't you maybe not raise tuition at more than double (or triple) the national inflation rate....

And while I am ranting against BC here, my point before is this isn't just BC, rather the vast majority of private colleges.....

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

[QUOTE]These posts belong in the WSJ op ed section under tuition increases at private universities. How about next we discuss U.S. involvement Libya as a center piece our next rant filled with momort statistical data copied from GOOGLE?   
    Posted by whr[/QUOTE]

Sorry whr.
    Forgot that we need to dumb this down quite a bit so you can understand.

When does caddy season start?