Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenneyc. Show kenneyc's posts

Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!!

Why have a governing body (NCAA) if the first call they make is to the University President about what to do when they discover an infraction. Once again Calhoun is spared any penalty that means anything--come on--cannot attend three UCT games NEXT YEAR!! Name the last time a major coach has been received a substantial penalty. WHAT, and impact TV ratings and income...don't be silly. I really know this is blowing in the wind, since the NCAA is not about to abort its funding source--the university system. Make a list of the ten most unethical coaches in basketball today--surely Calhoun is in position 1, 2 or 3. Sadly they align very closely with the most successful as well-that is success measured by wins and losses.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Re: Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!!

Not just Calhoun, but with the recent troubles of many programs, such as Conn, Kentucky, Tennessee, USC, Louisville, Notre Dame, NU...let's look on the brightside.  Fans and alumni of programs that value education and strive to remain clean should be proud!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

In Response to Re: Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!! : OK BC troll here it is ... foot in mouth and you said it ... The truth about BC basketball: Many "student athletes" don't belong in college in the first place; it's simply a stopover between high school and the pros. Although some schools with top athletic programs -- such as Notre Dame, University of Michigan, and even BC -- maintain high academic standards, most colleges give admissions counselors considerable latitude with applications from athletes, whose GPAs and SAT scores usually fall at the low end of the spectrum for the incoming class. Unconcerned about their education, future stars have no problems passing through school for a couple years, getting their names in the papers, and taking off for the pros. College basketball has suffered noticeably in recent years, as increasing numbers of its biggest stars have left school early for the NBA (the top five players in last year's draft included two freshmen, two sophomores, and one junior). Three young players in the past two years -- Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant, and Jermaine O'Neal -- even bypassed college altogether, entering the NBA right out of high school.
    Posted by whr[/QUOTE]

Wow, this is whr's best written post to date. This one reaches the 10th grade reading level. I take back my assertion that you are only capable of manual labor. The ability to write like this makes you a top candidate for working the grill at Ihop.

Still mis-using the word "troll".

To quote Miss Lohan: "Stop trying to make "fetch" happen!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

[QUOTE]Not just Calhoun, but with the recent troubles of many programs, such as Conn, Kentucky, Tennessee, USC, Louisville, Notre Dame, NU...let's look on the brightside.  Fans and alumni of programs that value education and strive to remain clean should be proud!
    Posted by trbow[/QUOTE]

Right you are, trbow -  but The Institute ain't among those programs.

None of the schools you cite have what we have:  players implicated with the Mob in a point-shaving scandal, with one player getting a TEN YEAR federal prison sentence, and another going to the Witness Protection Program.

Nor does any of those programs have a football betting scandal that drew national negative press in Sports Illustrated.

No, I'd think that people from glass houses would not be throwing stones!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenneyc. Show kenneyc's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!! : Right you are, trbow -  but The Institute ain't among those programs. None of the schools you cite have what we have:  players implicated with the Mob in a point-shaving scandal, with one player getting a TEN YEAR federal prison sentence, and another going to the Witness Protection Program. Nor does any of those programs have a football betting scandal that drew national negative press in Sports Illustrated. No, I'd think that people from glass houses would not be throwing stones!
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenneyc. Show kenneyc's posts

OK LP--you have a savage memory that posits back to one "black" event in BC's basketball history. Now, when did that happen? Was the NCAA more assertive then than now? Instead of napping during the day and writing your retorts in the 3-4AM time frame--open the blinds/pull back the drapes/put the JB away for a while and get into today's world!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

Would you care to tell us who was the President and who was the AD at the time of the b'ball scandal? Clue: The names Leahy and DiFillipo are not correct. This has been pointed out to you several times.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!! : Right you are, trbow -  but The Institute ain't among those programs. None of the schools you cite have what we have:  players implicated with the Mob in a point-shaving scandal, with one player getting a TEN YEAR federal prison sentence, and another going to the Witness Protection Program. Nor does any of those programs have a football betting scandal that drew national negative press in Sports Illustrated. No, I'd think that people from glass houses would not be throwing stones!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

LP you must be touching your toes in an effort to gain some cynical advantage in a worthless game of forum posting.  You bring up events from decades ago.  Yes, events that I feel badly about as an alum.  But no glass houses here, I know of the failings and weaknesses at Chestnut Hill.  Recently however, the alma mater (your employer) remains clean...somewhat underachieving maybe in some areas...but clean. Not that I consider any of this a big deal in anyone's big picture, accept maybe yours, WtheHR's , UNDkingofpain's, googlebi-boyblue's, etc...

WtheHR - your post was more coherent than usual, so I surmised that you copied and pasted an article.  It's good to post in that manor, but please cite your sources or your verbatim next time...or not, just be a troll and "borrow" what you need. 

In any case, it does not back up any argument, unless you are arguing that college athletics at the state university level, and at the sold-out private basketball school level, do not provide any academic plan of success for their participants regardless of potential professional future.  Is that supposed to be a positive statement?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Justify away, lads, but our history is what it is.

And, eaglebeagle1  Dear Leader WAS in office when the football scandal happened.

Before you go casting stones at other programs for matters that did NOT involve criminal prosecution, and a resulting book whose title tells an embarrassing tale about the school, you may want to look up the meaning of a word:

R E S T R A I N T 

Peace, chums.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Are you acusing me of having no RESTRAINT?  You don't know me any better than I know you.  And really, seriously, in this forum, you cannot preach of RESTRAINT as you clog up threads with your signature and your boldface replies, your ignorance of points opposing, your insipid whines about the same thing over and over...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

[QUOTE]Justify away, lads, but our history is what it is. And, eaglebeagle1  Dear Leader WAS in office when the football scandal happened. Before you go casting stones at other programs for matters that did NOT involve criminal prosecution, and a resulting book whose title tells an embarrassing tale about the school, you may want to look up the meaning of a word: R E S T R A I N T   Peace, chums.

So Fr. Leahy is responsible for the Football scandal  then the logical conclusion is that Fr. Monan is responsible for the (much, much worse) Basketball scandal, correct? Is that your position?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

What do Tom Davis and Dan Henning have in common?

Both were head coaches at Boston College that had gambling scandals happen on their watch.

Both were hired by the Mob of Two - Fr. Monan and AD Flynn.

As they hired the coaches, they should be held responsible, correct?

Thank goodness the stain that they created has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Another point proven, thanks Cheeriho.  Sure, you can have Calhoun, Pearl, Pitino, Calipari, etc.  You'll be happy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

LP wrote:
    And, eaglebeagle1  Dear Leader WAS in office when the football scandal happened.

Ah, LP, you just can't bring yourself to type it, can you?  Who was President and who was AD during the b'ball point shaving scandal?  Why do you not apply the same judgmental standards to them as you do to the "Gang of Two"?  Do enlighten us.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Earth to eaglebeagle1,

Of course the Pres & AD during the hoops scandal bore the same ultimate responsibility as does Dear Leader for the football scandal.

What you fail to grasp, seemingly, is that neither Fr. Monan nor Bill Flynn were ever found by the national press (or anyone else, for that matter) to be untruthful. Nor did either develop a reputation as an anger-driven coach terminator.

The contrast between Fr. Monan and his successor is chasmic.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

LP wrote:
    What you fail to grasp, seemingly, is that neither Fr. Monan nor Bill Flynn were ever found by the national press (or anyone else, for that matter) to be untruthful. Nor did either develop a reputation as an anger-driven coach terminator.

The contrast between Fr. Monan and his successor is chasmic.

Yo, Major Tom:

Some progress here, albeit slight, by your finally acknowledging that it was Fr. Monan (a person I greatly admire, by the way, which I've stated in a previous post) and Bill Flynn.  But then you revert to your standard MO and change course by saying that they were never found by the national press to be untruthful nor did they develop  reputations as anger-driven coach terminators.  Again you dodge, but not artfully.  Again you apply radically different standards to them and to their current counterparts. Fr. Monan and Flynn get a pass on your condemnations for presiding over a major sports scandal, but Fr.Leahy and GDF do not. (Leahy, by the way, had been President for about 5 months before the football betting issue came to light). Pray tell, which member of your "Gang of Two" was "found" by the national press (whoever they may be) to be untruthful?  What does "found" mean in this context: speculated, presumed, accused?  Or was one or both of them really "proven" a liar by standards of reasonable people?  Please note the emphasis on "reasonable". I'm not trying to be rude here, but I don't find you or your arguments reasonable by any stretch. And who else besides you considers Leahy or GDF an anger-driven coach terminator?  You may be blinded by your own obvious anger issues. You're still trying to have it both ways, and the internal inconsistencies in your arguments are piling up higher than the snow banks did after the last couple of storms.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

beagle,

Just come to this campus, gain the confidence of those who work and study here in various capacities, and pose to them questions about the style of "reign" that obtains here.

You may be surprised.

When ESPN and other media openly question the truth of assertions, that is bad enough for me - and should induce shame in this arrogant bunch.

But no.

The way this place is run would be a good candidate for analysis by any MBA curriculum. True, but it ain't pretty.

They DO a good job of preventing the outside world from seeing what actually goes on at this place.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

Please provide back up information for this statement:

When ESPN and other media openly question the truth of assertions

I watch ESPN and find little if any "open questioning of the truth of assertions" made by BC.

As many others have provided links for multiple times, the minutes of the BE meetings made it pretty clear that BC was forthright about the challenges on the football side and that they may leave.  Further, coaches have left or been fired, choose your term, but not at an unusual rate compared to most if not all D1 schools.

The reason EagleBeagle questions you is that your obsession does not appear to be reasonable and in general is not supported by the facts.  Please, Dan Henning was a Gladchuck hire and has nothing to do with the current administration except that they changed coaches to TOB.

And . . . when you say ask any BC board of directors member about the Ireland "fiasco", that is not proof.  Provide citations as many of us have done for you in the past.  Rumor and inuendo is just that and you are just rumor mongering if you can not provide more detail.

Finally, I ask again since it is still in your signature, I want to understand when alumni giving changes from abysmal to good to excellent.  Give us some real numbers that is what analysis is all about and you are not provided any.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LongPotter. Show LongPotter's posts

[QUOTE]beagle, Just come to this campus, gain the confidence of those who work and study here in various capacities, and pose to them questions about the style of "reign" that obtains here. You may be surprised.

LP you sound like one of those protestors in Wisconsin, wining and complaining about their benefits.

Note - Boston College is not run for the benefit of the employees.

The school is run for the benefit of the current and future students.

Boston College continues to move in the direction of academic excellence and away from the academic mediocrity.

I am sure that much of the deadwood that was tolerated when we were competing with UMASS for students had to move on when we have transformed into a place that competes with Harvard for students.

All these fat and lazy academics whining about their jobs and job secrutiy are almost as bad as these Massport hacks.

BC's slogan is "Ever to Excel". Not "Ever to be Mediocre". If people can't meet the high standars set by Fr. Leahy it is time for them to hit the road.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!! : LP you sound like one of those protestors in Wisconsin, wining and complaining about their benefits. Note - Boston College is not run for the benefit of the employees. The school is run for the benefit of the current and future students. Boston College continues to move in the direction of academic excellence and away from the academic mediocrity. I am sure that much of the deadwood that was tolerated when we were competing with UMASS for students had to move on when we have transformed into a place that competes with Harvard for students. All these fat and lazy academics whining about their jobs and job secrutiy are almost as bad as these Massport hacks. BC's slogan is "Ever to Excel". Not "Ever to be Mediocre". If people can't meet the high standars set by Fr. Leahy it is time for them to hit the road.
    Posted by LongPotter[/QUOTE]

Then play MIT fool and stop whinning about BC academics, you are not in Harvard's or Yale's league either institutions BC can seldom indentify with academically or compete with athletically on the hardwood! 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calhoun-Again..I'm Sure He is innocent!! : LP you must be touching your toes in an effort to gain some cynical advantage in a worthless game of forum posting.  You bring up events from decades ago.  Yes, events that I feel badly about as an alum.  But no glass houses here, I know of the failings and weaknesses at Chestnut Hill.  Recently however, the alma mater (your employer) remains clean...somewhat underachieving maybe in some areas...but clean. Not that I consider any of this a big deal in anyone's big picture, accept maybe yours, WtheHR's , UNDkingofpain's, googlebi-boyblue's, etc... WtheHR - your post was more coherent than usual, so I surmised that you copied and pasted an article.  It's good to post in that manor, but please cite your sources or your verbatim next time...or not, just be a troll and "borrow" what you need.  In any case, it does not back up any argument, unless you are arguing that college athletics at the state university level, and at the sold-out private basketball school level, do not provide any academic plan of success for their participants regardless of potential professional future.  Is that supposed to be a positive statement?
    Posted by trbow[/QUOTE]
    Wrong again twinkle toes ... the bettings scandals at BC in 1996, and the point shaving scandels of 1978 is a stain which will never leave this holy than thou institution. As with Pete Rose twinkle toes, it lingers forever in the dark days of BC athletics!  Players who wagered against their own team brought new and long lasting shame to BC!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

[QUOTE]beagle, Just come to this campus, gain the confidence of those who work and study here in various capacities, and pose to them questions about the style of "reign" that obtains here. You may be surprised. When ESPN and other media openly question the truth of assertions, that is bad enough for me - and should induce shame in this arrogant bunch. But no. The way this place is run would be a good candidate for analysis by any MBA curriculum. True, but it ain't pretty. They DO a good job of preventing the outside world from seeing what actually goes on at this place.
    Posted by Longputter[/QUOTE]Thanks for this response, LP.  I don't agree with a lot of your statements but this posting sounds a lot more reasonable and your anger is tempered.  I do know people who work at BC,both faculty members and folks who work in different administrative departments.  I know it's not exactly the Good Ship Lollipop.  I don't know Fr. Leahy personally, but I know that some  people have issues with his "style", and then there are folks who are big fans of his.  But that is hardly unique in  any setting, be it a university, another not-for-profit organization or the Fortune 500.  Where you lose me is when you  demonize him and GDF (a person who also has his detractors, but are there many high profile people who don't?) across the board and hold him accountable in a totally different way than others who also saw bad stuff happen on their watches.  Today, I'll return your signature of "Peace", which in the past has struck me as disingenuous.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernfriedeagle. Show southernfriedeagle's posts

I had several choices to attend college...It sucks to B U and both the prison at UConn were two of my offers, along with Wake Forest, the U, and BC.  In the end, I was too chicken to leave New England as a 17 year old; but I'm so glad I made the best choice (as in BC).

With so many recruiting factors against us, BC continues to perform well in various sports; with 98% of the athletes being true students.  That's what BC alum should be proud of...not the sham of student athlete run programs like UConn and the other basketball factories produce, never mind the football factories.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Well said Southern.  Miscreants can whine and spit all they want, the program is being run well.  Misanthropes on campus can complain about their issues, no doubt some of that is justified, but it's really just typical organizational change and the ensuing clutter that every institution has to put up with at one time or another.

Sections
Shortcuts