College coverage in Boston is Sad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from commander007. Show commander007's posts

Re: College coverage in Boston is Sad

The unfortunate reality is that professional sports teams will always get more coverage than college teams. A similar situation occurs in New York where college sports gets minimal coverage, if any at all

A state like Connecticut where I moved to almost 35 years ago (from the Boston area) with no professional sports teams, UConn Basketball (both men & womens), along with the football program gets superior coverage from all of the state's media outlets.

Even during the days of the Yankee Conference, UConn Basketball dominated the sports news down here. Now that they have become a nationally recognized program due to membership in the Big East to go with a couple of NCAA titles, it is even much more extensive.

It is incredible that the Boston news media does not give that same respect to Boston College and some of the other schools in the area.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Why is BC insignificant? By these posts the Globe should be applauded for their coverage of a facility nobody gives much credibility. As for their athletic program, it's constantly supported by a subway fan base i.e. momort, whose only experience with Collegiate sports is hanging out in his basement room  in Everett Square with his buddy eaglebeagle1!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In Response to Re: College coverage in Boston is Sad:
    As a BU alum, coverage of BU sports in the local media is almost nil.  BU men's  hockey gets its share, but considering its great success over the years it doesn't get half of what it deserves.  BU basketball gets almost no coverage at its home games. Why do we have to get 4 pages or more of Patriot coverage after a game alot of it duplicated but 1/2 a column or none devoted to college sports on a Monday. Look, I'm a tried and true Sox, Patriots and Celtic fan but come on. We are much too saturated with their stories in the local media. The Globe does have one story a week about upcoming local college hockey games but none about local basketball teams. BU's other sucessful women's hockey and other sports gets agate type for the most part. That's true of all the other local colleges too. I stopped listening for the most part to the so-called radio sports stations. There's never any shows devoted  to local colleges. What a shame! Even the TV stations provide horrible coverage for the local colleges. You'd think that NESN and CSN with all their vacant air time  could do more. Also, I wonder if the local colleges themselves are partly to blame for not putting more pressure on the local media. College sports in this town is a bargain. Between $10 and $25, one can see a good hockey or basketball game and not mortgage the house . Does anyone out there want to start a local college sports show? Even worse, will anyone listen? I will. Anyone else? Contact me. BU Fanatic
    Posted by bufanatic

Okay, Teddy Serandis we get your point, now go back to Daisy Buchannan's!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

Why is BC insignificant? By these posts the Globe should be applauded for their coverage of a facility nobody gives much credibility. As for their athletic program, it's constantly supported by a subway fan base i.e. momort, whose only experience with Collegiate sports is hanging out in his basement room  in Everett Square with his buddy eaglebeagle1!
    Posted by cheeroh
    Hey, cheeroh, I hope that part of your collegiate sports experience was going to AZ to cheer on your team that got blown out in the Fiesta Bowl. Otherwise, you contributed to the $1.6 million loss that UConn absorbed from the bowl.  That's money that they could have used for remedial spelling, grammar and logic for the likes of you. Nice try at bravado, buddy, but you're just fooling yourself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

In Response to Re: College coverage in Boston is Sad : Hey, cheeroh, I hope that part of your collegiate sports experience was going to AZ to cheer on your team that got blown out in the Fiesta Bowl. Otherwise, you contributed to the $1.6 million loss that UConn absorbed from the bowl.  That's money that they could have used for remedial spelling, grammar and logic for the likes of you. Nice try at bravado, buddy, but you're just fooling yourself.
    Posted by eaglebeagle1

"Last words are for fools that haven't said enough  ..." 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

"Last words are for fools that haven't said enough  ..." posted by Cheeriho.
    ------------
    Congrats doggie troll on finding the italic, bold and font color buttons.

"It would be good if you could stop leaving yellow and brown snow everywhere you go..."

A Definition of "Forum Troll"

"A "Forum Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to provoke people to respond. The Forum Troll delights in sowing discord within a forum.  A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is deliberately controvertial, baiting and pulling people into a "flaming" discussion.  Flaming discussions usually end with name calling, a flame war and at best a locked thread or in extreme cases a deleted thread."(i)

(i) Taylor, John. © 2011, Squidoo, LLC

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

And trbow, the great thing is, his comment was the last one in the thread for a day and a half or so and he didn't seem to realize (probably still doesn't) that the joke was on him! He's too proud of himself for finding a Marx quote somewhere on the internet. For him, that's progress.  Still nothing substantive in any of his comments and I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen. In Response to Re: College coverage in Boston is Sad:
    "Last words fare or fools that haven't said enough  ..." posted by Cheeriho. ------------ Congrats doggie troll on finding the italic, bold and font color buttons. "It would be good if you could stop leaving yellow and brown snow everywhere you go..." A Definition of "Forum Troll" "A " Forum Troll " is a person who posts outrageous message to provoke people to respond. The Forum Troll delights in sowing discord within a forum.  A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is deliberately controvertial, baiting and pulling people into a "flaming" discussion.  Flaming discussions usually end with name calling, a flame war and at best a locked thread or in extreme cases a deleted thread."(i) (i) Taylor, John. © 2011, Squidoo, LLC
    Posted by trbow

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

And trbow, the great thing is, his comment was the last one in the thread for a day and a half or so and he didn't seem to realize (probably still doesn't) that the joke was on him! He's too proud of himself for finding a Marx quote somewhere on the internet. For him, that's progress.  Still nothing substantive in any of his comments and I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen. In Response to Re: College coverage in Boston is Sad :
    Posted by eaglebeagle1

well fool go back to that Everett High home room where all BC grads end up with the kiddies!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Globe properly recognizes BC's commercial value in print ... PATS/BC; C's/BC; B's/BC; SOX/BC Lowell Spinners/BC there's the trade off BC fools! 

UCONN!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from terminator-x. Show terminator-x's posts

BC gets their 19th win against Wake Forest today, a win that should at least make them a viable bubble team for the NCAA tournament. I have to go to cnn.com to get the score. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajcvt64. Show ajcvt64's posts

One key factor is the individuals hired by the media. The Globe spots page used to be alive with local color. Contrast the two BC articles in Monday's paper.  The women's Hockey East article is upbeat.  The men's basketball article, however, puts its focus on last years defeat.  This "reporter" prefers to dwell in the negative and slants his coverage.  Since the largest home town paper doesn't support the program it it inflences popular interest. I get better BC news from
    North Carolina papers via the web.
    BC fans arise. You have nothing to lose but a negative story in the back of the paper.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mathunat. Show mathunat's posts

Boston College, NCAA Champions do not have a radio outlet!...that is not the Globe's fault...BC has been taken over by the Fenway Group...we should all get pink hats....the Fenway group put BC on WEEI and its teams are ridiculed by the on air staff regularly....we need a college station: Harvard wins the Ivy, BU bball is winning the AE, BC women win the HE, great hockey schools all around us and BC is not doing too bad in the ACC....some media outlet must want to cash in on this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

You make a good point.  Unfortunately, the alternate sports radio outlet likes to ridicule college sports as well.  I think part of this blame falls on BC sports administration and Communications staff. Rather than market their programs, sell ads and sign up carriers, they've farmed out the duty to contractors for a set fee.  It's guaranteed money but it's an easy way out.  If you can get ZBC, listen there whenever possible. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zepgirl24. Show Zepgirl24's posts

Where was the Harvard - Princeton game on local TV this weekend??

Harvard had a chance to go to the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1946 with a play-off game against Princeton on Saturday, March 12 at 4 pm in New Haven, CT. NO BOSTON TELEVISION STATION carried the game!!! Comcast Sports Net switched from the CAA Women's Quarterfinal game between UNC Wilmington and Delaware, which ended at about 4:30, at which time it switched to a REPLAY of the previous night's Celtics game! NESN was exhaustively covering Red Sox spring training, but I understand they are contractually obligated to do so. But NO one else could make it happen?? Infuriating.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I'd rather have it the way it is in Boston than the way it is in other parts of the country.  I came from an area of the country that only recently got a professional sports franchise.  The Colleges were treated as if they were the professional sports. 

While it would be nice if the colleges had more coverage, particularly when my alma mater was doing well, I like that college sports is for the kids going to the school and alumni.  In other areas, the fans yell at the players as if they were professionals.  There's something unsavory about a middle aged fan of a college team (not an alumni) going rabid over a questionable call or screaming at the kids on the opposing team.  It's one thing to go after a professional athlete, but to go after a 19 year old kid is something completely different.

Like I said, it would be nice if college sports got a little more coverage, but I think it would carry with it a lot of negative stuff.

Sections
Shortcuts