College coverage in Boston is Sad

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenneyc. Show kenneyc's posts

College coverage in Boston is Sad

Both BC's men's and women's basketball teams won well fought and tough games. Gee, where was it covered in the sports section--must have missed it. If I didn't have the Internet and access to the ESPN and ACC sites, I would probably seldom see any Globe coverage of sports of ALL Boston collegiate teams..I'm sure once the Pats close out their season; we will be knee deep in Celts and Bruins AND SOX. Not that the pro teams do not deserve coverage, especially this year; but  collegiate sports get a serious short straw here in Boston, unlike most other metropolitan areas (Except New York, of course).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ssn710eagle. Show ssn710eagle's posts

Re: College coverage in Boston is Sad

Amen Brother

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Not a BC fan but its true. There are college sports fans in New England, but you couldn't tell by the way the media spins it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

I mean, this isn't even a question.  The local media would rather have 3-4 guys write about a single game by any pro team than have one guy write something with depth about any college teams.  It's all part of the reason BC has no following.  Small student base, most alumni don't live local, media pays no attention and residents of Boston, Brookline, Chestnut Hill don't like and many time HATE BC. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I moved to Central MA a few months ago,  so I've taken to reading my GF's Worcester Telegram,  and the sports section is far superior to the Globe's when it comes to both local College and HS coverage.  The Globe makes a feeble attempt with some weak coverage before each season begins.  Maybe a little for the playoffs.  In between, during the meat of the actual season, they are absolutely pathetic.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Frank D. covered the BC-Maryland game for the Globe.  I read the article on Boston.com. 

Overall though, I'd agree, collegiate athletic coverage has become less important to the Globe, probably due to declining ads and therefore fewer pages dedicated to the sports section.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernmiss. Show southernmiss's posts

Agreed!  I'm from the Deep South where college football reigns supreme.  Keep intending to cancel my Globe substription b/c it's so useless for college sports.  Haven't gone through the trouble yet.

Bob Ryan had a column a week ago lamenting Boston's lack of interest in college hoops.  He blasted fans of his alma mater for not showing up for the UMass-BC game down at the Garden.  But the ironic thing was, the column itself was tucked away in the back of the sports section, and there was just one measly article about the game, also consigned to back of the section -- not so much as a brief blurb on the front page.  If Bob's own employer cares so little about collegiate athletics, it's hard to see how he can whine about the fans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Ironic on Bob Ryan.  Again though, a lot of this has to do with the fact that:
    *BC is a smaller school div I wise so there are less students to follow games.  We have 10k students, that won't fill a stadium.  Ohio State has what, 50k students, so if even half go thats huge.
    *Majority of BC alum don't live in the area, unlike Ohio State or Michigan. 
    *Local non students/alum have 4 pro teams to follow and in reality hate BC for whatever reason.

Just the way it is and it won't change.  That is really a reason the media ignores them but judging by the lack of recent sucess of newspapers its not a surprise. 

That said, the media not trying to help BC hockey get a huge following is just them being glib.  A powerhouse right under our nose and they are fully ignored.  Yet they have 4 people writing the same article about the Sox signing Carl Crawford in December......and why is no one reading them any longer they wonder?????

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eaglehockey. Show Eaglehockey's posts

Yes it's true...The newspapers all but ingnore College sports in Boston. maybe Bean pot gets some coverage but other than that ...very little.
    Plus the sports radio stations spend no time talking about College sports in Boston and discourage people from calling in. I've clled EEI from time to time to talk BC Hockey and get ognored or told that it's not on the agenda.
    Screw them all !!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

In Response to Re: College coverage in Boston is Sad:
    [QUOTE]Ironic on Bob Ryan.  Again though, a lot of this has to do with the fact that: *BC is a smaller school div I wise so there are less students to follow games.  We have 10k students, that won't fill a stadium.  Ohio State has what, 50k students, so if even half go thats huge. *Majority of BC alum don't live in the area, unlike Ohio State or Michigan.  *Local non students/alum have 4 pro teams to follow and in reality hate BC for whatever reason. Just the way it is and it won't change.  That is really a reason the media ignores them but judging by the lack of recent sucess of newspapers its not a surprise.  That said, the media not trying to help BC hockey get a huge following is just them being glib.  A powerhouse right under our nose and they are fully ignored.  Yet they have 4 people writing the same article about the Sox signing Carl Crawford in December......and why is no one reading them any longer they wonder?????
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]

1. You can't ignore the public-private dynamic. If UMass has BC's athletic success (and was actually located in Boston), they would get press in the Globe.  It's hard for an upstart private school to get traction in a major media market. Just ask Northwestern, which is in a better conference. Miami only succeeded in the 80's because they were the only game in town after the Dolphins, FSU was 8 hours away, and UF was on probation.

2. It would help to have a rivalry game to report on. UMass competes in an inferior conference for basketball and not even Division 1 for football. Even a BC-UConn game would stroke passion, but that would require most everyone to get over any lingering anger they had over realignment.

3. It also doesn't help BC is a relative newcomer to their conference, and it takes time for conference rivalries to develop. Also, BC is 400 miles from its nearest conference opponent.

4. New England is a region of front-runners. The Patriots were frequently blacked out in the early 90s. The Red Sox could draw in their lean years. UMass drew 10,000 people in the 90s when they actually tried competing at a high level, but can't draw 2,500 now. If BC makes the Orange Bowl or goes to the Final Four, alot of people in the city will start wearing Maroon and Gold.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

Wait, are you saying Northwestern is in a better conference than BC?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Momort,

I have to disagree with one of your statements:

"BC is a smaller school div I wise so there are less students to follow games.  We have 10k students, that won't fill a stadium.  Ohio State has what, 50k students, so if even half go thats huge."

While true in general BC is also larger than ND and they have no trouble filling a stadium with 85,000 fans.  Considering their long history in college football and their national TV contract it is quite helpful to that program.   They also encourage and enable tail-gating, something that is virtually impossible at BC.  Still, I think BC could do better.

With that said, I do not know the numbers but it would be interesting to see the attendance numbers when comparing BC and ND in all other sports.

About Bob Ryan's article, he also had a recent blog post that was quite positive about the BC basketball program and how there is a certain excitement that is building.  While many of us here liked coach Al, it seems to be that it was time to move on.  Time will tell how well SD will do but, unlike others, I am hopeful for the future and do not wish ill on the school.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

While I know we compare ourselves to ND, we really shouldn't.  First off, they have a national following.  THere are Notre Dame fans who never lived in Ind and have no family that ever went there.  Yet they make the treck every so often to see games.  That simply doesn't happen at BC. 

That said, I agree with BC not doing its fair share of helping things out.  In general, people who have to deal with BC don't like them and I don't blame them.  They seem to go out of their way to inconvientent everyone.  That said, they cannot help they are in teh middle of a posh suburb while ND and many other midwest schools are in the middle of nowhere so tailgating is easier.

My point it while the support of BC should be better, there are many factors out of is control going againt it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

If your just discovering this, THAT is sad. Also, the person thinking ACC is better Football conference than Big Ten has definitely been brainwashed by the Jesse James'

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

If BC is the only game in town this rust belt region you'all have a problem as it's sports program is pathetic!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

Please who cares about second rate BC athletics, other than their arrogant alumni which are misquitos in a very large pond!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

[QUOTE]Please who cares about second rate BC athletics, other than their arrogant alumni which are misquitos in a very large pond!
    Posted by postingking[/QUOTE]

Someone who knows what they're talking about

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

momort wrote:

"
    That said, I agree with BC not doing its fair share of helping things out.  In general, people who have to deal with BC don't like them and I don't blame them.  They seem to go out of their way to inconvientent everyone."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My man!!!

That truth serum works every time!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

[QUOTE]If BC is the only game in town this rust belt region you'all have a problem as it's sports program is pathetic!

Not as pathetic as your spelling and grammar in both posts, friend.  No arrogance on your part or anything, right?

Boston as "rust belt"?  I think not.  Geography lesson might come in handy for you.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

[QUOTE]If BC is the only game in town this rust belt region you'all have a problem as it's sports program is pathetic!

It's its

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

The "Hunger Bowl" is Free Food for anyone who attends.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bufanatic. Show bufanatic's posts

As a BU alum, coverage of BU sports in the local media is almost nil.  BU men's  hockey gets its share, but considering its great success over the years it doesn't get half of what it deserves.  BU basketball gets almost no coverage at its home games.

Why do we have to get 4 pages or more of Patriot coverage after a game alot of it duplicated but 1/2 a column or none devoted to college sports on a Monday.

Look, I'm a tried and true Sox, Patriots and Celtic fan but come on. We are much too saturated with their stories in the local media.

The Globe does have one story a week about upcoming local college hockey games but none about local basketball teams.

BU's other sucessful women's hockey and other sports gets agate type for the most part. That's true of all the other local colleges too.

I stopped listening for the most part to the so-called radio sports stations. There's never any shows devoted  to local colleges. What a shame!

Even the TV stations provide horrible coverage for the local colleges. You'd think that NESN and CSN with all their vacant air time  could do more.

Also, I wonder if the local colleges themselves are partly to blame for not putting more pressure on the local media.

College sports in this town is a bargain. Between $10 and $25, one can see a good hockey or basketball game and not mortgage the house
    Does anyone out there want to start a local college sports show? Even worse, will anyone listen? I will. Anyone else? Contact me.

BU Fanatic

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

What is the point, BC is a product of the Globe, and the Globe is one step away from bankrupcy! Conclusion: Globe + BC = a low cap yield incentive.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

[QUOTE]As a BU alum, coverage of BU sports in the local media is almost nil.  BU men's  hockey gets its share, but considering its great success over the years it doesn't get half of what it deserves.  BU basketball gets almost no coverage at its home games.
    Posted by bufanatic[/QUOTE]

Take a number and get in line. UMass student and coverage of us, the state university with 216,000 living alums, is nonexistant. This is our punishment for being in the Atlantic 10.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAS881. Show CHAS881's posts

Nothing worth covering

Sections
Shortcuts