ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Re: ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals

Mormot -

Right on.

Also how about the implication that it is only under Fr. Leahy that top coaches fail to "apply" (ha, ha) to BC.

We all remember when Jack Bicknell was hired (Under Fr. Monan) how Joe Paterno, Woody Hayes, Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer and Bear Bryant all "applied" for the job.

Or when Dan Henning was hired (under Fr. Monan), Tom Osborne, Bobby Bowden, Steve Spurrier, Don James, and Bo Schembechler all were dying to "apply".

But then Fr. Leahy came on the scene and all that interest from the top coaches dried up.

Remember - LP is not crazy

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

The others are quite right, you will not find a list of who actually applied.  Particularly if they already have a job.  That is why you will read things like "ESPN has sources that report that . . . "

With that said I'll answer your question for the others with someone who certainly did apply.  You said:

can you cite even ONE top level head coach (football or men's hoops)

Mark Whipple.  While not a head coach at the time, when Jags interviewed it was widely known that he was quite interested in the position.  He won college football national championships and was working as the QB coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers during their Super Bowl run.  Furhter he was/is quite well respected.  You/we heard about him because he was not a head coach at another institution.  With that said, it does appear that his career has gone a bit sideways lately.

Further, let's take a look at Tom O'Brien.  Did he apply for the job at NC State?  Washington?  Do you know that?  We "know" (actually believe) that he was a candidate because "ESPN has sources that report that . . .".  We did not actually "know" until he was announced as the coach at NC State.  This was done after the "recruiting" process where interest is exchanged though agents.

With that in mind, we learned about Steve Donahue the current BC basketball coach?  The same way, "ESPN has sources that report that . . ."

LP, we understand that you despise Fr. Leahy but fail to cite a credible reason.  You claim it is because of hiring and firing of coaches and not providing they right type of financial aid.  You claim there is way more "firings" going on than under the previous administration yet can not cite how it is not natural turn over.  Further, the school now has a Provost, something they did not have when I attended, who is responsible for the day to day administration of the school.  Yet you do not attack him, no one was fired to hire him he was an add.

Regardless, we are way off topic again because you fail to respond to the claims that your assertions are wrong.  You run and find new ones to assert.  You are like Rush Limbaugh who would like President Obama to fail, which just hurts our country.  The same is true when people siad and did the same thing with President Bush wishing he would fail.  Like those people, your claims of loving the school are hollow and we are calling you on it.

To me is just proves a few things I have said in the past, you are an internet troll who posts things just to stir up debate.  Further, considering your continuing "airing of the grievances" I wish you a Happy Festivus.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

In Response to Re: ESPN Top Ten Sports Scandals:
    Further, considering your continuing "airing of the grievances" I wish you a Happy Festivus.
    Posted by Eagle79

Classic. Absolute classic. "Airing of the greivences" how true.

The idea that BC was some kind of hotbed for top coaches until suddenly Fr. Leahy showed up...absurd. Jack Bicknell? Had a losing record as Maine Coach. Dan Henning? Two stints as a losing coach in the NFL. Tom Coughlin? A position coach in the NFL (by comparsion Coach Jags was a coordinator in the NFL)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Mark Whipple was a top level coach?

Is that the best y'all can muster?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Mark Whipple was a top level coach? Is that the best y'all can muster?
    Posted by Longputter

LP, you are claiming lack of interest by top level coaches in working at BC is a direct result of Fr. Leahy.

So what explains the lack of interest by top level coaches  in working at BC during the Fr. Monan era?

Was  Tom O'Brien (and the other candidates at the time of his hiring) considered op level coaches in 1996?  I don't think so.

TOB was named coach in December 1996.  Fr. Leahy was named Presidnt in  October 1996.  So I am curious, did these top level coaches somehow know that Fr. Leahy was a villian in December 1996 - only two months after becoming President - or was it at some time after? If after, what explains the lack of interest by top level coaches in taking over after Dan Henning?

Really, I am fascinated by the timeline in your mind. For years and years  BC was attracting "top level" coaches but then...suddenly on October 14th, 1996 that interest suddenly dried up? Or at some point after that? If some point after that...what explains the Tom O'Brien hiring process? Certainly no one would call him a "top level" coach in fall 1996?

Please inform us.

Remember - I don't think you are crazy

Was Jack Bicknell considered a top level coach in 1980?

How about Tom Coughlin?

How about Dan Henning?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

LP,

It is not Gatzie but you who are evading the point.

You asked for one coach and I gave you one. 

Let's take a look at the BC archives.  Tom Coughlin was the QB coach for Jack Bicknell at BC when Flutie won the Heisman.  Then he moved on the be an assistant in the pros for a few years before returning to BC for his first head coaching assignment.  I do not think anyone here would say he was not a good hire or a good coach.  Yet his resume looks pretty much like Mark Whipple's before BC hired Jags.

Further, let's see about other programs and how it is working.  Miami hired Golden from Temple.  Florida hired an Offensive Coordinator.  Temple is not a power house football school.  And hiring an assistant coach, wasn't a good head coach available?

Now we have Maryland firing the ACC coach of the year.  Just so we do not get caught in semantics, perhaps he is "retiring".  Who is rumored to replace him but Mike Leach.

So, your response about Mark Whipple is both laughable and childish. 

Further, I would put the hiring of SD on par with Miami hiring Golden from Temple.  Someone who had won at a lesser program and wanted to move up both financially and to a higher level of competition.  Too bad for Temple, I hope they continue to improve their program.

I also note that you did not respond to the other items that I (and others) have posted.  So, I must assume that our points are correct otherwise you would provide information backing up your original assertion to refute our statement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

Considering the long silence from LP I suspect he will not be heard from again until the football or the basketball teams lose another game.  Funny how silent he has become now that the women's team is off to their best start ever.

Let's see how long it takes before he posts after a loss . . . but you know what they say, winning cures a lot of things.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Longputter. Show Longputter's posts

Fellas,

STILL have not seen the name of ONE top-tier coach at another place who sought to come here.

Hmmmmm

And, oh yes, Merry Christmas to y'all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Trust me. I know what of I speak on that one."

How the Mad Hatter would ever think a statement like that would hold any water on this is site is too funny. Don't say you'll put LP on ignore just please do it he will go away as they do on the Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins and Patriots discussion boards.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eaglebeagle1. Show eaglebeagle1's posts

I am enjoying reading these discussions much more since I hit the "ignore LP" button. I recommend giving it a try.  Then we could have reasonable and intelligent conversations with each other and let the attention-seeking LP find some other way to occupy his time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreenNameGoesHere. Show ScreenNameGoesHere's posts

Fellas, STILL have not seen the name of ONE top-tier coach at another place who sought to come here. Hmmmmm And, oh yes, Merry Christmas to y'all.
    Posted by Longputter

putter - your original challenge was to name a top tier coach who sought the BC job SINCE Fr. Leahy and Gene D have been in charge.
    Others have turned it around and challenged you to name a top tier coach who has EVER sought the BC job. You have ignored this, haven't answered, and of course still keep asking your own irrelevant question

So I'll make this simple so even you can understand. There hasn't been an established, top tier coach that has EVER sought a BC coaching job. It has nothing to do with Fr Leahy and Gene D.
    Do you get it?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle79. Show Eagle79's posts

JG1,

LP is implying that Mark Whipple was not a "major coach".  Note that when Super Bowl champion coach Tom Coughlin was hired by BC he had never held a head coaching position.  Mark Whipple had not only held a head coaching position he had won a national championship.

As noted in my other post, let's look at the hires this coach changing season.  Miami hires someone from Temple and the University of Florida replaces Urban Meyer with an Offensive Coordinator.  I see no evidence that they "applied" for the positions though they were both reported to be on the "short list" of the schools.

Further, let's take a look at the UMiami position.  It was rumored that they wanted to hire John Gruden.  Apparently he did not apply for the position though he did speak with that university.  Perhaps consulting them on who they should hire.

What LP doesn't recognize is that over the years BC has had many great coaches.  Here is a list, Frank Leahy and Tom Coughlin in football.  Bob Cousy, Chuck Daly, Tom Davis, Gary Williams and Al Skinner in basketball.  Of those, only Cousy would have been considered a major hire considering his long professional basketball career and that he would be coming from HC, a former major power in basketball.

Considering that today is December 23, the day traditionally used to celebrate Festivus, I wish LP a Happy Festivus.  Ideally he would limit his "airing of the grievances" to this day along with his long signature it appears that he will continue the holiday all year.

Of course LP will be doing his Frank Costanza imitation where he said . . . "I have a lot of problems with you people . . ."

I await the feats of strength where LP wrestles Fr. Leahy and then GDF.  If only it was on pay per view.  Or perhaps YouTube.  I suspect there would be lots of page views!  Perhaps we can set that up for charity with the contributions going to merit scholarships at BC.  I would only want to do it if the contributions counted toward BC's alumni giving rate though . . .

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

JG1, LP is implying that Mark Whipple was not a "major coach".  Note that when Super Bowl champion coach Tom Coughlin was hired by BC he had never held a head coaching position.  Mark Whipple had not only held a head coaching position he had won a national championship. As noted in my other post, let's look at the hires this coach changing season.
    Posted by Eagle79

I agree. It all depends on what you mean by "major coach". I think that most people would say that the resumes of Whipple and Jags in 2007 were better than TC in 1991.

Bicknell, TC, Henning, Tom O'Brien...they weren't considered "top coaches" when they were hired.  Is there some kind of crazy break in coaching talent when you compare Jags and Spaz to this previous group?  Not really.

And of course I am sure that LP has no idea that Coach Golden was hoping for an interview in 2007. Now he is coaching Miami? Is he a "top coach"? It certainly wasn't his lack of interest that prevented him from being hired in 2007. London at UVA is another guy who was hoping to interview at BC as well.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts