FSU to the Big 12

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 82ndAB. Show 82ndAB's posts

Re: FSU to the Big 12

In Response to Re: FSU to the Big 12:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: FSU to the Big 12 : [QUOTE]"So this was akin to a Ponzi scheme to sell tickets? Where do you get the attendance figures from? I do agree with you about seeing UMASS play Podunk U - but ya gotta start somewhere, when you're in a state with other athletic priorities and a bunch of great colleges: Harvard cancels Yale, BC is certainly not any worse than UCon, but what does CT have to put up against BU, NU or even MIT? Where did youu  get the idea that it's considered "LAME" to play in a pro stadium .... ?" - My attendance figures are from me BEING THERE and seeing the stadium - BC is worse than UConn - Playing in a pro stadium IS lame.  Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Ohio State, Penn State, etc all have their own stadiums.  It is totally lame when you are at your school's game and all you see it Patriots gear everywhere.  Second fiddle is for losers. Anyway, I am not sure why I am dealing with you and the BC fans here.  I mean, really?  The  one year hoop ban will not tank UConn as they are pretty established. UConn /> BC UConn /> UMass That is not going to change.  Deal with it and stop being a petty little jealous hater. Posted by CThuskies[/Q Pretty weak argument for being lame .. "pretty established?" So was UCLA in the days of Alcindor and Walton - where are they now? Still good, but not the perpetual dynasty, are they? Stuff changes - maybe your arrogance will become humility ..................
    Posted by LOTHAR43[/QUOTE]

let's all schedule Bryant Univ. this is your solution for attendance ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eagle78. Show Eagle78's posts

http://www.dailycampus.com/news/uconn-loses-nearly-1-8-million-at-the-2011-fiesta-bowl-1.2043100

The fact is that both BC and Uconn travel about the same to bowl games.  Uconn sold a paltry 2,771 tickets for their BCS bowl game and lost approx. $1.8M on the bowl.

I do have some sense of amusement at the tortured logic that some Uconn fans offer concerning Uconn fans buying tickets from other, presumably cheaper sources.  BC fans have long been criticized for their bowl travel.  I have gone to a number of BC bowl games and frankly was surprised that the attendance was often better than the reported numbers (the Champs Bowl in 2007 being the most visible example).  Nevertheless, BC's travel reputation has been based on the actual tickets the school sells.  Likewise, Uconn's travel reputation will be based on the same standard - ticket sales through the college. (Unless, of course, the Uconn fans want to state that only Uconn fans are smart enough to figure out that it is cheaper to buy tickets from sources other than the school. LOL!)

Actually, the Uconn and BC fan profiles are quite similar.  So are their FB attendance numbers each season which pretty much mirror one another. Both fan bases are reflective of northern college FB which does not have the volume or passion of their southern counterparts.

Each school has had embarrassing moments regarding fan attendance across all sports.  For BC, the ACC Championship Game in 2008 comes to mind, with the aerial shot of all the empty seats (although VT's attendance at that game wasn't anything to write home about either, despite being a game that was drivable for them).  For Uconn, it would probably be the Men's BB Final Four in 2011 where their semi-final game featured a whole section of empty seats on the floor; with Uconn forced to give away tickets to fans of the schools eliminated in the semi-final game to fill the seats.

(Oh, and BTW, to the Uconn fans chortling over Uconn's BCS game, I offer my congratulations.  However, come on, you got that bowl berth after finishing in 1st place, after an 8-4 season, in what was a dreadful BE that year - where not one team, including Uconn, finished the season in the Top 25. The BE was heavily criticized and Uconn was demolished in the game itself.  Again, congratulations, but to point to that game as an indication of Uconn superiority is foolish, IMO.)

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]http://www.dailycampus.com/news/uconn-loses-nearly-1-8-million-at-the-2011-fiesta-bowl-1.2043100 The fact is that both BC and Uconn travel about the same to bowl games.  Uconn sold a paltry 2,771 tickets for their BCS bowl game and lost approx. $1.8M on the bowl. I do have some sense of amusement at the tortured logic that some Uconn fans offer concerning Uconn fans buying tickets from other, presumably cheaper sources.  BC fans have long been criticized for their bowl travel.  I have gone to a number of BC bowl games and frankly was surprised that the attendance was often better than the reported numbers (the Champs Bowl in 2007 being the most visible example).  Nevertheless, BC's travel reputation has been based on the actual tickets the school sells.  Likewise, Uconn's travel reputation will be based on the same standard - ticket sales through the college. (Unless, of course, the Uconn fans want to state that only Uconn fans are smart enough to figure out that it is cheaper to buy tickets from sources other than the school. LOL!) Actually, the Uconn and BC fan profiles are quite similar.  So are their FB attendance numbers each season which pretty much mirror one another. Both fan bases are reflective of northern college FB which does not have the volume or passion of their southern counterparts. Each school has had embarrassing moments regarding fan attendance across all sports.  For BC, the ACC Championship Game in 2008 comes to mind, with the aerial shot of all the empty seats (although VT's attendance at that game wasn't anything to write home about either, despite being a game that was drivable for them).  For Uconn, it would probably be the Men's BB Final Four in 2011 where their semi-final game featured a whole section of empty seats on the floor; with Uconn forced to give away tickets to fans of the schools eliminated in the semi-final game to fill the seats. (Oh, and BTW, to the Uconn fans chortling over Uconn's BCS game, I offer my congratulations.  However, come on, you got that bowl berth after finishing in 1st place, after an 8-4 season, in what was a dreadful BE that year - where not one team, including Uconn, finished the season in the Top 25. The BE was heavily criticized and Uconn was demolished in the game itself.  Again, congratulations, but to point to that game as an indication of Uconn superiority is foolish, IMO.)
    Posted by Eagle78[/QUOTE]
    Nice exposition Eagle78 - wish I could say it that well.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Random thoughts on these topics:

1.  Florida State football has much bigger problems than a league switch could resolve.  They're suffering a post-bobby bowden boil backside of the program, and until a new, dynamic leader takes over, they will linger just below the big boys.  No, I don't think Jimbo is that guy.

2.  BC sports (other than hockey) are so sad right now, that one has to consider the ACC move to be a questionable decision in terms of its impact on recruiting and competitive potential.  As for the academic advantages of being in the ACC, I'd like someone to explain them so we can all enjoy the success.

3. #2 does not matter much, because if BC stayed in the Big East, they'd very likely be at similar levels competitively against what now makes up the league.  Then again, maybe they'd have hired a different coach or two...

4.  The ACC football plan for success is screwed despite adding Pitt and Syracuse, particulalry if Fla St leaves or worse, stays and continues to excel at mediocrity.

5.  What ever happened to the U of  Miami?  wth?

6. If Clemson, Miami, G.Tech and Fla. St want to join the Big12, and Syracuse, Pitt, Conn and Rutgers want join the ACC, isn't Eastern football just beginning to roll things back 20 years and use different conference names?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Senior midfielder Max Pfeifer tallied three goals and one assist on Sunday's win over Virginia.
    FIGHTING IRISH
    Senior midfielder Max Pfeifer tallied three goals and one assist on Sunday's win over Virginia.

GO IRISH!  Yes and what do they say about consistancy and UND.  BC Lacrosse bottom of the ACC barrel!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Notre Dame men's lacrosse counting on 'D' in Final 4

Irish have best goals-against average in nation but face severe challenge vs. top-seed Loyola (Md.)

• Notre Dame lacrosse player Sean Rogers scores past Virginia goalie Rob Fortunato during Sunday's NCAA quarterfinal match in Philadelphia. (Eric Hartline/US Presswire photo)
    Notre Dame lacrosse player Sean Rogers scores past Virginia goalie Rob…
    May 24, 2012|By Brian Hamilton, Chicago Tribune reporter

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Euphoria over another men's lacrosse Final Four appearance dissolved a bit by the time Notre Dame examined the un-Irish way it got there. In a losing effort, Virginia scored 10 goals but as no one had scored that many against the Irish, reviewing film brought on some relief and some resolve to preempt a repeat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]Random thoughts on these topics: 1.  Florida State football has much bigger problems than a league switch could resolve.  They're suffering a post-bobby bowden boil backside of the program, and until a new, dynamic leader takes over, they will linger just below the big boys.  No, I don't think Jimbo is that guy. 2.  BC sports (other than hockey) are so sad right now, that one has to consider the ACC move to be a questionable decision in terms of its impact on recruiting and competitive potential.  As for the academic advantages of being in the ACC, I'd like someone to explain them so we can all enjoy the success. 3. #2 does not matter much, because if BC stayed in the Big East, they'd very likely be at similar levels competitively against what now makes up the league.  Then again, maybe they'd have hired a different coach or two... 4.  The ACC football plan for success is screwed despite adding Pitt and Syracuse, particulalry if Fla St leaves or worse, stays and continues to excel at mediocrity. 5.  What ever happened to the U of  Miami?  wth? 6. If Clemson, Miami, G.Tech and Fla. St want to join the Big12, and Syracuse, Pitt, Conn and Rutgers want join the ACC, isn't Eastern football just beginning to roll things back 20 years and use different conference names?
    Posted by trbow[/QUOTE]
    Beginning to thing Eastern (read that as New England) football is a joke: BC's in the Dump, UMASS is making a VERY risky move up and how long will CT taxpayers suppport their presence in Div1?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FSU to the Big 12 : let's all schedule Bryant Univ. this is your solution for attendance ...
    Posted by 82ndAB[/QUOTE]

Bryant ain't the answer - most of their players might be accounting majors: They'd tell you it just don't add up!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FSU to the Big 12 : Bryant ain't the answer - most of their players might be accounting majors: They'd tell you it just don't add up!
    Posted by LOTHAR43[/QUOTE]

at least those accounting majors will have jobs with the State of RI, trying to unravel the debt of 38 Studios!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: FSU to the Big 12:[QUOTE]In Response to FSU to the Big 12 : drop Pitt (they really don't bring much to the table anyways) and boot BC and beg for Uconn to join the ACC so they may finally have some facts to prove they may be the best hoops conference in the nation.  but it all revolves around football...Posted by Donnnn[/QUOTE]

ACC isn't going to drop Pitt when they just invited then accepted them that's dumb. Why would the Conference beg UConn when they just rejected their recent overtures in favor of an established school ?

The ACC wanted teams from the Northeast and invited the ones they wanted for now. I think UConn will eventually join the ACC but not boot another school in favor of them.

That's what the conference wants is to make sure it grows with the other super-conferences for more TV revenue weather it's basketball or football for that TV revenue. Most feel the Big East will absorb into the ACC.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: FSU to the Big 12:[QUOTE]Remember when Gene DiFillippo accidentally revealed ESPN was behind Pitt and Syracuse's move to the ACC? Apparently ESPN is pushing FSU to move to the Big 12. http://www.businessinsider.com/is-espn-pushing-florida-state-to-the-big-12-conference-2012-5 Posted by redbarchetta88[/QUOTE]

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/05/25/miami-acc.ap/index.html

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-05-11/florida-state-big-12-expansion-committed-to-acc

Both Miami and FSU are staying in the ACC as they don't want to lose that rivalry. Plus I expect some of the better basketball schools from the Big East to get invited.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: FSU to the Big 12 : http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/football/ncaa/05/25/miami-acc.ap/index.html http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2012-05-11/florida-state-big-12-expansion-committed-to-acc Both Miami and FSU are staying in the ACC as they don't want to lose that rivalry. Plus I expect some of the better basketball schools from the Big East to get invited.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

West Virginia made similar statements about their committment to the Big East. As we've seen over the past few months, these "committments" are made just before something big happens.

Sections
Shortcuts