Future of Big East Basketball

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

Future of Big East Basketball

ESPN is reporting that the 7 Big East non-FBS schools (Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, Marquette, Providence, St. John's and DePaul) are not happy with the direction of the league and might be looking to form a basketball-only league.They would then try to lure Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Butler and St. Louis to form a 12 team basketball conference. This seems like a great idea to me, back to the way Dave Gavitt envisioned the Big East originally.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Re: Future of Big East Basketball

In response to indians1948's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ESPN is reporting that the 7 Big East non-FBS schools (Georgetown, Seton Hall, Villanova, Marquette, Providence, St. John's and DePaul) are not happy with the direction of the league and might be looking to form a basketball-only league.They would then try to lure Xavier, Dayton, Creighton, Butler and St. Louis to form a 12 team basketball conference. This seems like a great idea to me, back to the way Dave Gavitt envisioned the Big East originally.

[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they're not happy.  Not just the BE, but conference realignment has become a mess.  Villanova is probably playing both sides to weigh its future.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not so at Notre Dame Troll... Maybe the scrubs at Buffoon College might consider taking their worthless Coach Donahue and hang with these unknowns.

Add New Hampshire and Byrant to the mix? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

Chief Wahoo longs for the days when Buffoon College is relevant. You all catch the promo on NESN ... Buffoon's entertains the Wildcats Sunday then onto Dartmouth... perhaps, Keene State is on the horizon?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

In response to undking's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Chief Wahoo longs for the days when Buffoon College is relevant. You all catch the promo on NESN ... Buffoon's entertains the Wildcats Sunday then onto Dartmouth... perhaps, Keene State is on the horizon?

[/QUOTE]
    Gipper, this discussion isn't about BC or U. South Bend. In case you haven't heard, BC is already in the ACC and your Aggressive Leprechauns will be joining in 2014. But since you brought it up, on the horizon for the Sons of Digger are 3 RPI killers: 5-6 IPFW, 1-7 Kennesaw State, and 3-6 Niagara.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailman2. Show sailman2's posts

In response to undking's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Keene State would be a step up for Buffoon USA try Plimouth State (NH). Could make their schedule all NH USA Conference.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailman2. Show sailman2's posts

In response to SlimPickensIII's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think those 7 schools are deluding themselves if they think they can 'raid' the A10.  The A10 holds all the cards and the new commish Bernie McGlade has been making all the right moves since coming aboard 4 years ago.   Take away the Big East affliation and it's amazing how average looking most of those schools become. 

There was a time, and not that long ago, when this sort of shuffle made alot of sense.  Still does make sense,  but there's nothing sensible about anything that's been going on the past couple of years.  The time for a 12 school Catholic league has passed,  we're more likely to see some sort of 21 school A10 montrosity.

And indian, nice job on that Harvard-BC post.  Easily the best thing I've read around here in a while.  Particularly liked what you did with postingking.  He's the only one worth doing anyway.

[/QUOTE]

I'd be careful of an all Catholic Conference? Do you buffoons work or hang all day at Mary Anne's?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]

I think those 7 schools are deluding themselves if they think they can 'raid' the A10.  The A10 holds all the cards and the new commish Bernie McGlade has been making all the right moves since coming aboard 4 years ago.   Take away the Big East affliation and it's amazing how average looking most of those schools become. 

There was a time, and not that long ago, when this sort of shuffle made alot of sense.  Still does make sense,  but there's nothing sensible about anything that's been going on the past couple of years.  The time for a 12 school Catholic league has passed,  we're more likely to see some sort of 21 school A10 montrosity.

And indian, nice job on that Harvard-BC post.  Easily the best thing I've read around here in a while.  Particularly liked what you did with postingking.  He's the only one worth doing anyway.

[/QUOTE]
    I doubt if the NCAA has it in its power, but I'd like to see a 12 school limit imposed on conference size. That way, at least in basketball, which is what I mainly care about, teams could play each other twice, home and home, instead of the current unfair, imbalanced schedules.
    And thanks for the compliment.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

[QUOTE]

I doubt if the NCAA has it in its power, but I'd like to see a 12 school limit imposed on conference size. That way, at least in basketball, which is what I mainly care about, teams could play each other twice, home and home, instead of the current unfair, imbalanced schedules.

That would be nice, it wouldn't be the first time the NCAA made a power grab, they'd probably succeed. But they're all about the money, so what does TV want?   And that's a scary thought when you watch how TV programmers handle prime time TV now, they really haven't a clue to what they're doing.

My A10 board is all aflutter about impending doom.  I guess it comes down to what Xavier wants to do.  They have a great AD, so whatever he decides is going to end up being a good move for Xavier.  The rest, who knows.  

Right now the only real attraction to Xavier would be G'town and Villanova.  Maybe Marquette, that's harder to read.  The other 4 teams are living in the past, they are not an upgrade. So it then becomes who can Xavier drag along with them to this new BE to make it more appealing?    There is room to create a nice 12 team Catholic, and a 12 team A10 that would make everyone happy.  The chances of that happening are pretty slim though.

The A10's unbalanced schedules stink.  But I always console myself with the thoughts of how the BE does it now, you don't even see some of your teams each year now.   If that's not the sign of a conference that is too big, I don't know what is.

indian, I don't know how you stand it around here.  These are the most inept trolls in the history of the internet. It's all gibberish.   I'm outta here, again, unless something big breaks in the next few days. 

[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for injecting some sanity into the discussion. It's not just inept, but most of the commentary is insipid and juvenile. I know that Dave Gavitt was wary of an all-Catholic conference when he organized the Big East, so he included Syracuse and UConn. I don't know what he would think of a 12 team all-Catholic basketball conference today, but if I were in charge, here are my conferences:
    Big East Basketball: Creighton, Dayton, DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. Joe's, St. John's, St. Louis, Seton Hall, Villanova, Xavier.
    A-12: B.C., Cincinnati, Louisville, Penn St., Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, UConn, UMass, Va. Tech, West Virginia.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]

Hmmm.  I understand goofing off at work, after all, here I am wasting time.   What I don't understand is why this sorry lot chooses to waste it on things they have no interest in.  I shudder to think of how tedious it must be to interact with you in real life.  If your real identities were exposed you would be embarrassed to have your names attached to any of this gibberish.   So you're pretty cowardly to boot.

I hope you all get through the holidays in one piece.  May you seek professional help in the new year, you sure do need it.  

Indian, happy holidays.  Big news or not over the weekend, I won't be back to this wasteland for a while.

[/QUOTE]

Don't forget to tune into the BCS come January 7th.

Imitation equals flattery: When coach Brian Kelly started building this Irish team three years ago, the idea was simple: Make it look like an SEC team. In other words, play nasty defense, run the ball and get solid quarterback play that minimizes mistakes. Go IRISH .... BYE BYE SLIM TROLL

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from indians1948. Show indians1948's posts

Snorrs, CT

BREAKING NEWS: With the breakup of the Big East looming on the horizon, University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst announced today that UConn will be joining Alaska-Anchorage, Alaska-Fairbanks, and Alaska-Southeast in a new conferece to be called the Big Northern Exposure IV. Herbst added that the university will formally change its name to YUKON, and will enter a team of Huskies in the Iditarod in 2013.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts