Globe offers its "support" for UMass football

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Globe offers its "support" for UMass football

"Like every aspiring gridiron power, UMass believes that revenues available at the bowl-eligible level will make the program cheaper to run. UMass officials say the prestige of a bowl-eligible program is priceless. But no study has ever found that prestige results in alumni giving."

Thanks for the well wishes Derrick! I know you'll be happy if UMass fails.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from fleetian51. Show fleetian51's posts

Re: Globe offers its "support" for UMass football

Slim, you've got it wrong. I got a grad degree from a top 20 private and I was contacted right after graduation; all colleges do this

Your going to hold out because of a poor policy in the 80's? Donate to financial aid or directly to a scholarship in your town for students attending UMass.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from postingking. Show postingking's posts

Kind'da of like donating for diversity and inclusion is that not what Umass is about?

Middle class get's the middle finger and Joey from East Hoopla La La get's the free UMASS scholarship money from the liberal left. It's second collection Sunday at St. Ambrose's for another stewardship appeal by Cardinal Shaun!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fleetian51. Show fleetian51's posts

It's fine that you take issue with Jack Wilson's compensation but I think your reasoning for not supporting UMass at all, in any form is bad and benefits UMass' competitors.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fleetian51. Show fleetian51's posts

UMass isn't a top ranked school but it is in the 1st tier. 4th tier doesn't exist....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

And now, Jackson has to add his two scents worth to caution UMASS that it needs to get off the edge for the "Graduation Bowl!" Thankfully, UCon is playing in the Toilet Bowl (that's Tolland Stadium, for those of you not in the know) and not in the Rhodes Bowl!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

In Response to Re: Globe offers its "support" for UMass football:
    I'm assuming this is a quote from Derrick Z. Jackson.  He's not a fan of big time college sports, period.  So it's not like he's picking on UMass, they're just a handy example.   According to the latest NCAA reports 43% of all FBS football programs lose money.   So it's a gamble for UMass to go this route, if making money is the goal.   They could just as easily lose alot, and they don't have alot to begin with.  The only evidence - the only evidence! -  we've ever seen that UMass can succeed in big time sports, was that 5 year run the BB team had in the 90's.  That's a pretty small sample, and it's alot harder to make it in FB than BB. Mostly there is disinterest in any of the sports programs. I don't see it working out in the long run. Hope I'm wrong.  A better bet would be to fix that ridiculous alumni fund raising system they have in place.  The ink was still wet on my diploma when they started calling me. This is back in the early 80's.  Loans up to my ears, no job yet, and they're calling me for donations.  Right.  You're squeezing blood from a stone you dopes.  I've been in my so-called peak earning years for over a decade now,  I'm relatively flush. NOW is the time to hit up this alumnus, but I haven't heard boo from them since their first, feeble, ill-timed attempt to squeeze me.   And since it's a State School, and particularly in light of the cash they're giving to hacks like Jack Wilson after he's left (over $400K this year, for doing nothing, he left last year!), I have no inclination to donate if they did wake up.  Not until they clean up their act.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Minutemen429. Show Minutemen429's posts

In Response to Re: Globe offers its "support" for UMass football:
    And now, Jackson has to add his two scents worth to caution UMASS that it needs to get off the edge for the "Graduation Bowl!" Thankfully, UCon is playing in the Toilet Bowl (that's Tolland Stadium, for those of you not in the know) and not in the Rhodes Bowl!
    Posted by LOTHAR43

Was this post supposed to make any sense?  I honestly can't tell if if Lothar is trolling, failing at humor, or got into some afternoon cocktails.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redbarchetta88. Show redbarchetta88's posts

Slim the article in question was printed the day Charley Molhar was announced as head coach. What a better way to welcome a new coach than with the largest paper in the state printing an article on why you're program is doomed to failure. UMass football has yet to play a single game in FBS and are already saying it's a failure. Newsflash, we were losing money in the CAA with no additional revenue source coming in. We get a stadium for no taxpayer dollars. It was now or never.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

n Response to Re: Globe offers its "support" for UMass football:Little thinskinned aren't ya 429? It's not cocktails for me, but sarcasm to you.
    In Response to Re: Globe offers its "support" for UMass football : Was this post supposed to make any sense?   I honestly can't tell if if Lothar is trolling, failing at humor, or got into some afternoon cocktails.
    Posted by Minutemen429

Sections
Shortcuts