Hockey East Expansion?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from cp77. Show cp77's posts

Re: Hockey East Expansion?

It's quite necessary now that Notre Dame makes eleven teams in the league. Hockey East had nine teams for a time before UVM came aboard, and it was a scheduling headache because on the standard Friday and Saturday nights, at least one team was off from league play. I thought Holy Cross might be a prospect, but UConn makes sense since its womens team is already in Hockey East.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I was so against this addition of ND because like in FB they are keeping their contract with NBC sports.  HE should have told them to pound sand and stay in the remnants of CCHA

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

I agree, UConn yes, bring in another local and rising program.  It looks like GDF doesn't have any say in HE developments which is good.

ND, it's a strong program but don't understand why they joined a league so far away from their base, when the Big 10 is forming its own proposed elite hockey conference.  There will be some good competition with ND because they're always tough, but the travel for such an isolated member makes it a curious move.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

UCon is probably a good add - they've certainly got the $$$$s, but the idea of playing at the XL center is, at this point, ludicrous. BC's the best team in the nation, but do you think they could fill the Garden every night? Huskies need to build an on-campus facility that would be more in line with the rest of HE arenas.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

UND should stick to the CCHA where it belongs, and you're right South Bend to Boston is equivalent as BC is to Tobacco Road!

Miami & FSU will be in  the SEC before this all falls out ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

Trouble is, the CCHA is hit hard with the Big 10 emergence grabbing so many teams, so ND decided this was the best move for hockey. 

BC in the ACC can be a rotten series of road trips and recruits know it, mainly for the small non-rev sports.   Change is often good but all this upheaval in conference afifliations can't be good for college athletics.

And Lothar, UConn has a big uphill climb for a few years, and Hockey East puts major pressure on an otherwise good program, as Vermont's stuggles to maintain success prove, but UConn usually succeeds in its athletic ventures.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

My point was that had few options; they should never had been allowed to retain a contract that only benefits them.  The BE has reaped all the benefits of allowing ND in for the non-revenue sports (sarcasm intended).

ND joins only when it benefits them.  If the conferences stand up and say "you are all in and no one-off deals" then this nonsense ends.  they bring nothing to HE and yet HE fell for it.  Good for the fighting frauds

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey East Expansion?:
    [QUOTE]My point was that had few options; they should never had been allowed to retain a contract that only benefits them.  The BE has reaped all the benefits of allowing ND in for the non-revenue sports (sarcasm intended).   ND joins only when it benefits them.  If the conferences stand up and say "you are all in and no one-off deals" then this nonsense ends.  they bring nothing to HE and yet HE fell for it.  Good for the fighting frauds
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

I do wonder why HE officials went along with it.  Presumption is the coaches and AD's voted on it too.  But it's probably about the potential money.  Hockey is often a separate issue from the other sports for obvious reasons.  But agreed, allowing them to play only hoops in BE was weak.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Hockey East Expansion?:[QUOTE] Huskies need to build an on-campus facility that would be more in line with the rest of HE arenas.
    Posted by LOTHAR43[/QUOTE]

Friend I grew up w/ played for the Huskies in the 80s and if the hockey arena has not been upgraded then yes there needs to be something done. CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports network have been showing college hockey games on Friday nights so hopefully some of that money would help UConn get a newer arena.

Domers and Huskies are great adds to HE it will get some new rivalries going.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey East Expansion? : Friend I grew up w/ played for the Huskies in the 80s and if the hockey arena has not been upgraded then yes there needs to be something done. CBS Sports Network and NBC Sports network have been showing college hockey games on Friday nights so hopefully some of that money would help UConn get a newer arena. Domers and Huskies are great adds to HE it will get some new rivalries going.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]
    Agree in part: UND doesn't need to be here - collegiate hockey is still very much a provincial sport: Send 'Dame back to the midwest - HE will deal with them when the time comes!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedBaron. Show RedBaron's posts

I disagree with most of the postings. Despite the expanded travel, I think that Notre Dame is a terrific addition to Hockey East. BC and ND have had a good rivalry in football and I think that this will extend to Hockey. If I had a choice of a single Hockey East game to go to, it would be ND vs. BC. In addition, Hockey East being expanded to Indiana will give more coverage to the league in the Midwest.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

are you serious ND/BC over BC/BU?  Please

BC people have an inferiority complex with ND if you say this.

Even SI said that "imagine if Ohio State and Michigan were 4 miles apart and played 4 times per year.  Thats is the intensity of the rivalry".

As a BC season ticket holder I would go to UNH UMaine and BU before ND.  The football does not carry over to hockey as ND has no cred in the sport from a national presence.

As far as presence do you realize that more D1 players are coming from Texas and CA as well as FL?  BC has plenty of exposure and we don't need the fighting frauds.  Recruiting for D1 hockey is done at the juniors not podunk HS in IN.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from HopVet. Show HopVet's posts

For the record: There was only one (1) player on FF 2011 Hockey roster from Indiana. 22 players with USHL experience. Since '04, 5 NCAA appearances with 2 CCHA titles but no "cred" as you rightly point out. If you did not protest HE inclusion, please fight the ACC addition. The FFs play M/W LAX, BBall (there is a women's team I hear), fairly well too. I like the "unwashed" appellation better.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

Why would anyone have season tickets to BC football? I guess he is that fool!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trbow. Show trbow's posts

[QUOTE]Why would anyone have season tickets to BC football? I guess he is that fool!
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]
    He said he had season tickets to hockey not football.  Keep reading, you'll catch up.

As for football season tickets??? I agree, not a good investment at the Heights these years.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

BTW I am also a football season t/h

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

Guess my thought is - if you have season tickets - you're a fan, hopefully a loyal one, because you keep renewing. I saw a lot of lean years at UMass and kept coming back: It was the move to the big time (in BB) that soured my enthusiasm as I (slowly) came to realize it was money and not loyalty that drove the engine of college sports. I wll always be "true to my school" but nearing 70, I can't afford to compete with the donors that jump on the bandwagon when good times are rolling.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Thought Uconn just built a new arena in 1998, and it seated 2000 people.  Not sure if they can upgrade the arena.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I am not sure about minimum seating requirements;  ND and BU both have new arenas.  I think either UVM or PC are pretty small (I think Schneider just got upgraded) but they may have a seating problem

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]BTW I am also a football season t/h
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

Too bad they will suck as usual. Better off putting your money in the Cardinal Shaun's Stewardship appeal next Sunday it's running a little short with all the legal suits! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]Thought Uconn just built a new arena in 1998, and it seated 2000 people.  Not sure if they can upgrade the arena.
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Think it was so small because  UCon hockey was seen as a "club" sport and, looking at the demise of the Whalers that hockey would never be big in CT.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]Trouble is, the CCHA is hit hard with the Big 10 emergence grabbing so many teams, so ND decided this was the best move for hockey.  BC in the ACC can be a rotten series of road trips and recruits know it, mainly for the small non-rev sports.   Change is often good but all this upheaval in conference afifliations can't be good for college athletics. And Lothar, UConn has a big uphill climb for a few years, and Hockey East puts major pressure on an otherwise good program, as Vermont's stuggles to maintain success prove, but UConn usually succeeds in its athletic ventures.
    Posted by trbow[/QUOTE]
    True, it's uphill, but with the $$$$s UCon has to throw around, it won't be long before they're competitve. UVM: they don't have football, basketball is competitive, but at something like Harvard's level -- they'll be a force again.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LOTHAR43. Show LOTHAR43's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hockey East Expansion? : Too bad they will suck as usual. Better off putting your money in the Cardinal Shaun's Stewardship appeal next Sunday it's running a little short with all the legal suits! 
    Posted by undking[/QUOTE]

What is it with you and whr - anti-BC? That's OK. Anti-Catholic ... well, that might just make you a bigot. And .................................?????