I wonder why?????

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bc64jg. Show bc64jg's posts

I wonder why?????

Sports Questions:

I've always wondered why when a new football coach is hired, 80 players have to learn a new system.  Why can't the coach learn the old system?  After all, college coaches aren't carrying 12 - 15 credit hours of education.

Another Question:

I always found it interesting that college hockey players have the maturity to not fight but grown up professionals can't control themselves.  Why do we suppose that is?

Another Question:

In college basketball, every one in the arena and on TV knows those fouls in the last 2 minutes are intentional except the fellows with the whistles.  How about this for an idea - give the team that was fouled a choice.  Either take the ball out of bounds unimpeded in the backcourt or shoot the free throws.  And of course, the shot clock gets a fresh start.  I never could understand why we play basketball for 38 minutes and then change to a free throw shooting contest.    

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamesGatz1. Show JamesGatz1's posts

Re: I wonder why?????

In Response to I wonder why?????:
    [QUOTE]Another Question: I always found it interesting that college hockey players have the maturity to not fight but grown up professionals can't control themselves.  Why do we suppose that is? [/QUOTE]

Um, was this mean to be a serious question? It has nothting to do with maturity. It has to do with the penalty associated with fighting. It is much higher in college.

In Division I & III NCAA hockey, the fighters are given a Game Disqualification, which is an ejection from the game and a suspension for as many games as the player has accrued Game Disqualifications during the course of a season.

For example, if a player engages in a fight having already received a Game Disqualification earlier in the season, he is ejected from that game and suspended for his team's next two games. This automatic suspension has made fighting in college hockey relatively rare.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_in_ice_hockey#European.2C_Collegiate.2C_and_Olympic

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bc64jg. Show bc64jg's posts

In Response to Re: I wonder why?????:
    [QUOTE]In Response to I wonder why????? : Um, was this mean to be a serious question? It has nothting to do with maturity. It has to do with the penalty associated with fighting. It is much higher in college. In Division I & III NCAA hockey, the fighters are given a Game Disqualification, which is an ejection from the game and a suspension for as many games as the player has accrued Game Disqualifications during the course of a season. For example, if a player engages in a fight having already received a Game Disqualification earlier in the season, he is ejected from that game and suspended for his team's next two games. This automatic suspension has made fighting in college hockey relatively rare. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_in_ice_hockey#European.2C_Collegiate.2C_and_Olympic
    Posted by JamesGatz1[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bc64jg. Show bc64jg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I wonder why????? :
    Posted by bc64jg[/QUOTE]
    Thanks Jim:  I didn't know that.  Anyone want to take a shot at the other two questions and Jim isn't nice not to go on line and comment on LP? Or the BE/ND or UCONN? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

I've always wondered why when a new football coach is hired, 80 players have to learn a new system.  Why can't the coach learn the old system?  After all, college coaches aren't carrying 12 - 15 credit hours of education.

In many cases a coach becomes a former coach because he didn't win.  Why would you use a system that didn't work and that you don't know?  As a coach, you will be the one fired, not the athlete.  And if you think football players in major programs carry a full load in the fall, you just fell off the turnip truck.  Did you ever hear of summer school?  They carry enough to render the fiction of student athlete technically accurate, but those courses are not nuclear physics

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bc64jg. Show bc64jg's posts

Provpats:  Most college offenses are the same - except at Air Force, Navy etc where they just don't have the horses to compete.  They difference isn't the plays, most of the plays are the same - it's the terminology that's different.  I still think it would be easier for 5 or 6 offensive coaches to learn the old terminology rather than 40 odd offensive players.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from undking. Show undking's posts

[QUOTE]I've always wondered why when a new football coach is hired, 80 players have to learn a new system.  Why can't the coach learn the old system?  After all, college coaches aren't carrying 12 - 15 credit hours of education. In many cases a coach becomes a former coach because he didn't win.  Why would you use a system that didn't work and that you don't know?  As a coach, you will be the one fired, not the athlete.  And if you think football players in major programs carry a full load in the fall, you just fell off the turnip truck.  Did you ever hear of summer school?  They carry enough to render the fiction of student athlete technically accurate, but those courses are not nuclear physics
    Posted by provpats[/QUOTE]

We'll ask Bill Bellichick there for you to close the issue ... getting ready for the big game in South Bend where big UND will make it 4-0 with Brian Kelley out dualing Mr. Medicority Spazzy !

Congrats go out to Western NCAA Hockey champs WCHA - Minnesota Deluth, the all Blonds have it team ... UND - is back -  2012 NCAA Champions!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

well again if you equate terminology with a system that is fine.  Systems are quite different; do you mean that everyone would use the same terminology and you would end up with one "system" in college football.  is a 3-4 defense different than a 4-3 defense? is a pro set different than west coast different than a wishbone/veer.  How do you account for different formations and sets within the formations?  Terminology is one thing; a system is another

what you are saying is that everyone shold be the same; aint never going to happen in the world of college coaching

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]Provpats:  Most college offenses are the same - except at Air Force, Navy etc where they just don't have the horses to compete.  They difference isn't the plays, most of the plays are the same - it's the terminology that's different.  I still think it would be easier for 5 or 6 offensive coaches to learn the old terminology rather than 40 odd offensive players.    
    Posted by bc64jg[/QUOTE]

Coaches develop a system that they know inside and out and are able to teach players quickly and efficiently as they come to the school.  While it might be easier in year 1 to keep the same terminology that's only a benefit for the short term as players in college continue to turn over. 

I also don't think it's that big of a deal either way.  The players pick up on new systems pretty easily....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

In Response to I wonder why?????:
    [QUOTE]Sports Questions: I've always wondered why when a new football coach is hired, 80 players have to learn a new system.  Why can't the coach learn the old system?  After all, college coaches aren't carrying 12 - 15 credit hours of education. Another Question: I always found it interesting that college hockey players have the maturity to not fight but grown up professionals can't control themselves.  Why do we suppose that is? Another Question: In college basketball, every one in the arena and on TV knows those fouls in the last 2 minutes are intentional except the fellows with the whistles.  How about this for an idea - give the team that was fouled a choice.  Either take the ball out of bounds unimpeded in the backcourt or shoot the free throws.  And of course, the shot clock gets a fresh start.  I never could understand why we play basketball for 38 minutes and then change to a free throw shooting contest.    
    Posted by bc64jg[/QUOTE]

I actually agree with your basketball question.  They could very easily change the end of basketballs games to be much less painful to watch.  I would also support that no matter how many time outs you have in the last 2 minutes you get 1 30second and 1 full. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to I wonder why????? : I actually agree with your basketball question.  They could very easily change the end of basketballs games to be much less painful to watch.  I would also support that no matter how many time outs you have in the last 2 minutes you get 1 30second and 1 full. 
    Posted by momort[/QUOTE]
    Let's change everything moron so your resoning can justify the means to no end!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheeroh. Show cheeroh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I wonder why????? : Thanks Jim:  I didn't know that.  Anyone want to take a shot at the other two questions and Jim isn't nice not to go on line and comment on LP? Or the BE/ND or UCONN?   
    Posted by bc64jg[/QUOTE]

Nice to go on line and beat up on ol' BC grads who seem to never go away and dream of the remember when's ... sad to say BC is a foregone conclusion to it's days of pseudo prominence ... in paticular NCAA Basketball!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from momort. Show momort's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: I wonder why????? : Nice to go on line and beat up on ol' BC grads who seem to never go away and dream of the remember when's ... sad to say BC is a foregone conclusion to it's days of pseudo prominence ... in paticular NCAA Basketball!
    Posted by cheeroh[/QUOTE]

Dude, if you believe this they why are you wasting your time going on BC threads?  What kind of monster loser does that make you?  Sounds like you have an awesome life going for yourself.  You spend a ton of time ranting and raving like a monkey about a school you yourself call irrelevant.  Well done sir, well done.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailman2. Show sailman2's posts

It appears all need much going up to do especially the BC eagle beagles whose display of the little frat boy in the sand box attitude are not accustomed to the LPs, whr's, cheriho arguments. Pehaps, a lesson in civility on a public medium would educate those to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it. Consequentially our BC stallwarts are always made out the fools' which they richly deserve.    

15. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts